Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Dec 2013, 11:03 (Ref:3347979)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
HRDC Willhire Reunion

Racing into the night.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 16:37 (Ref:3348338)   #2
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More detail here:

http://www.hrdc.eu/willhire_24hr_reunion.html

Shame it is at the wrong circuit
Old 28 Dec 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3348367)   #3
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very much what the 360 MRC are trying to develop, and they already do a 6 hour race. 360 MRC made it clear when they started out that they were hoping to invoke the spirit of the Willhire. Potential HRDC entrants could do worse than enter the 360 event as well.

Are there any entry lists available of the original Willhire races?
Old 29 Dec 2013, 03:27 (Ref:3348480)   #4
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
I really should post the truth about this event and about what has been done behind peoples backs etc......but in truth...no one would really care

Cant wait to see the entry price.....
Old 29 Dec 2013, 16:27 (Ref:3348608)   #5
relativtortoise
Racer

The press release talks about lots of cars signed up....

The '85 winning Capri of Eaton, Oates, & Clarke is around and in the same spec as original. It was mentioned in another thread last week but the owner has no intentions of it racing.

The '88 winning Sierra of Abbott and 'Skid' has barely turned a wheel since and could I guess be recommissioned if they were keen.

The '89 winning Sapphire is running and took part in CPOP two years ago but has not raced - it has been uprated in quite a few ways as part of it raciing in the Dutch Supercar series after Firesone sold it. Not sure that it would race either.

There's talk you have to run Dunlops to take part - they are a sponsor I note.

When talk and promises come to an actual entry (at whatever cost) will JT manage to fill a grid at Donington with genuine Willhire cars/drivers - we'll see
Old 29 Dec 2013, 16:48 (Ref:3348612)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
It's a big ask. The cars from my understanding were Production specification and not even Gp1, so how many, if still around, are still in that spec?

Agree that an event billed as a 'Willhire Reunion' seems a bit lost at Donington, but them I am biased....

Old 29 Dec 2013, 17:12 (Ref:3348617)   #7
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
It's a big ask. The cars from my understanding were Production specification and not even Gp1, so how many, if still around, are still in that spec?

Agree that an event billed as a 'Willhire Reunion' seems a bit lost at Donington, but them I am biased....

He has gone to Donington because he knows its more popular with the drivers thats all it has NOTHING to do with "going into the night" what cobblers! and please tell me where the "IT MUST BE HELD AT SNETTERTON ON THE 200 circuit…THATS THE NEAREST TO THE WILLHIRE" has gone? eh??? JT? Mr Purest who has very cleverly now added replicas to the entry allowed when at first he didn't…..….what happened to that?…is it because the historic people you are referring to actually said NO when you asked?… I can't hold my tongue for very much longer on this actually….but I will try to for a bit longer

What I will say because I think Ive earned it is that if you enjoy the "camaraderie" and the ethos that the Willhire had, you could ask the people who have done the 360 already if that is the case with that event…..you know…helping each other out and sticking together, where the officials are fair where the competition is relevant and the organisers are NOT JUST IN IT TO MAKE MONEY FROM YOU …then I would ask you to think about what is being done to the 360 by the people who are trying to bring you this event….THAT INCLUDES THE HOSTS!

I don't want to appear bitter but in truth….I am not a happy bunny with the powers that be in regard to this "reunion" and unlike most..Im NOT afraid to say who with and tell the world WHY!
Old 29 Dec 2013, 17:33 (Ref:3348623)   #8
alfaracer156
Rookie

Ireland
Royston,Herts
alfaracer156 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
willhire revival

Clare,don't worry about it as we will all
be doing the 6hr first.Mike.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 17:47 (Ref:3348628)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The cars from my understanding were Production specification and not even Gp1, so how many, if still around, are still in that spec?

Yes they were (or as near as can be with a bit of fiddling) I know a team that hired a "clone car from a well known rental firm and used it to rob parts off when things broke, funny how that car when returned with about only 100 miles more on the clock had a knackered gearbox/clutch and alternator !!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Dec 2013, 17:58 (Ref:3348630)   #10
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaracer156 View Post
Clare,don't worry about it as we will all
be doing the 6hr first.Mike.
If the powers that be get their way hon....you may not get the choice.....but I promise I will do what I can to make sure THE REAL SIX HOUR WILL RUN
Old 13 Aug 2014, 14:04 (Ref:3443962)   #11
relativtortoise
Racer

JT has mailed out a postcard letting everyone know this event is postponed due to lack of entries....
Old 13 Aug 2014, 14:25 (Ref:3443968)   #12
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
JT has mailed out a postcard letting everyone know this event is postponed due to lack of entries....
Just to be clear, the 360MRC 6 hour endurance at Snetterton IS happening this Saturday 16th August
Old 13 Aug 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3443970)   #13
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
That is a shame because I was actually going to enter it!

Yep John is right, Roger Williams is there to drop the flag, The GT40 Enthusiast club will be there (well some of them) there is Javelin doing sprint races on the inner circuit, the 6 hour willhire rewire is on the outer circuit. Radio Le Mans broadcasting at the circuit and around the web and driving in it for charity...BBQ on the friday night in aid of Cancer Research ....Austin A40 to an Aston .....its still the best enduro this country has

Ohh and its not a reunion....its a real race!
Old 13 Aug 2014, 14:47 (Ref:3443978)   #14
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As this was first mooted last December and not scheduled to run until the end of the season was there any need to cause possible confusion with the 360 race entrants by issuing the Willhire reunion cancellation notice only 3 days before the 360?
Old 13 Aug 2014, 15:01 (Ref:3443982)   #15
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Yes, its so I spend a certain amount of money now on a press release to tell everyone that MY REAL RACE is on!

I am actually thinking I need to send a mail to CD WRITE SERVICES
Old 13 Aug 2014, 15:08 (Ref:3443984)   #16
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
As this was first mooted last December and not scheduled to run until the end of the season was there any need to cause possible confusion with the 360 race entrants by issuing the Willhire reunion cancellation notice only 3 days before the 360?
You my say that - I couldn't possibly comment ..... but I do like a good conspiracy theory.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 15:29 (Ref:3443991)   #17
relativtortoise
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
Yes, its so I spend a certain amount of money now on a press release to tell everyone that MY REAL RACE is on!

I am actually thinking I need to send a mail to CD WRITE SERVICES
That would be your choice - I see no reason at all for anyone to confuse the two events - you're being paranoid.

The postcard went out to those who had expressed an interest (with a thinly veiled message to slag them off for not coming through) and to advise that those who had paid would be refunded and to thank them for being supportive.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 15:52 (Ref:3443996)   #18
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
That would be your choice - I see no reason at all for anyone to confuse the two events - you're being paranoid.
With good reason!
Old 13 Aug 2014, 16:13 (Ref:3444001)   #19
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Well Im not going to get drawn into this..That is the end of the debate from me, its a shame it was not to be as I say, I was going to enter it !

What I will say is that we will have a very special EX Willhire winning car at the 360 this weekend...fully restored ...and ready to go and NOT the sapphire btw...all to be revealed tonight on Midweek Motorsport....actually I better get going...Ive gotta be there!! ha ha

Ta all
Old 14 Aug 2014, 10:27 (Ref:3444197)   #20
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

The postcard went out to those who had expressed an interest (with a thinly veiled message to slag them off for not coming through) and to advise that those who had paid would be refunded and to thank them for being supportive.
It's amazing. JT set up an "event" that no-one asked for, in an area where John and Claire have struggled to get entries for years, yet it's the customers' fault that the event they didn't want won't go ahead. I think it was Einstein who said something about optimism is doing something the same way and expecting a different result.

If I treated my customers like that, then I wouldn't have any. Oh, wait.......
Old 14 Aug 2014, 10:56 (Ref:3444201)   #21
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
It's amazing. JT set up an "event" that no-one asked for, in an area where John and Claire have struggled to get entries for years, yet it's the customers' fault that the event they didn't want won't go ahead. I think it was Einstein who said something about optimism is doing something the same way and expecting a different result.
As you know Max (not having a dig by the way as you've supported us in the past ) but Claire and I could have redecorated our homes with lists of people who 'expressed and interest' in endurance racing and I'm sure it's been the same for HRDC. We press on regardless and with the support of 10/10ths and Radio Le Mans, 'one day' we'll get a full grid!
Old 15 Aug 2014, 09:02 (Ref:3444440)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Yes they were (or as near as can be with a bit of fiddling) I know a team that hired a "clone car from a well known rental firm and used it to rob parts off when things broke, funny how that car when returned with about only 100 miles more on the clock had a knackered gearbox/clutch and alternator !!
Did it have holes drilled in the floor as well Gordon? If so, thats two I know of
Old 16 Aug 2014, 21:25 (Ref:3444719)   #23
racemech
Rookie

United Kingdom
racemech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All,

I like many I'm sure received the postcard, to let everyone know the 'Willhire Revival' has been postponed.

In some ways it's sad when something like this happens. The idea sparks lots of interest with previous entrants of the great event, current car owners and mentions in most magazines. When the idea was first launched with only Genuine cars invited to enter, it sounded great. But, then the entry form arrived, now allowing 'replica cars'. This didn't come as much of a surprise, as the amount of genuine cars still in existence must be thin on the ground, let alone cars that are in a position to be raced once again?

The cost alone of preparing a car for a race like the 'Revival' at Donington is huge. Especially if the car hasn't turned a wheel for such a long time, which is the case for a few of the original cars I know of.

Of course if you had of started, or indeed finished the preparation of your car for Donington, your then told it's been cancelled! Not ideal, but I guess you would of thought that 'might happen' from the onset.

There were no regulations available to the best of my knowledge? So how would you know what specification to build your car to?

A 2 hour race would require re-fueling for some Group N cars, but not in your Production spec Sierra - 3 hours being a 'normal stint'!

To bring a car up to current specification for racing now, would also potentially take away a lot of cars 'original history'. Most cars ran with an Aluminium roll cage in period for example, now of course not legal.

Presumably the race would of had some sort of class structure. Not sure how you would do that, as you would need a lot of them! For example...

A 1987 production specification Sierra Cosworth, would be totally 'outclassed' by a 1991 Group N Sierra Cosworth.
Even a 1988/1989 production specification Sierra Cosworth, would be much different to a 1987 car. As the boost levels had not been 'pegged back', and they were in their first year of racing.

Also if 2 cars the same were to enter there would need to be some sort of parity between the two. So ideally they would run to the same boost levels/regs as in period?

As mentioned above, perhaps the idea was flawed from the onset? For sure, a fantastic idea, but one that would that would need such a great deal of organisation, and willing people to 'make it happen'.

None of the above is intended to come across in a negative way, just some of my own personal thoughts.

For now the Willhire stays in the history books, and will one day perhaps be 'Revived'...

Cheers,
racemech.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 23:54 (Ref:3444736)   #24
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Well I know its not 24hr but ask nyone whose been to the 360 and they will tell you its very similiar. The ethos and the cameraderie all is there, I have just got back from the fifth runningg of it and I still believe it is Endurance Racing... As it should be
Old 17 Aug 2014, 22:15 (Ref:3444869)   #25
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
HRDC Willhire Reunion

Damn right.

The greatest thing about 360MRC is that it rekindles the SPIRIT of classic races like the Willhire, without getting bogged down in grid limiting detail on how 'authentic' it must be and what cars should qualify.