Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Aug 2014, 22:16 (Ref:3444870)   #26
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
Well I know its not 24hr but ask nyone whose been to the 360 and they will tell you its very similiar. The ethos and the cameraderie all is there, I have just got back from the fifth runningg of it and I still believe it is Endurance Racing... As it should be

Absolutely spot on Claire.

Years have gone by since the days of the 24 hour and things have changed ............................ but the 360 has definitely captured the ethos and camaraderie in bucket loads.

Roll on 2015.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 09:38 (Ref:3444962)   #27
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by racemech View Post
Also if 2 cars the same were to enter there would need to be some sort of parity between the two. So ideally they would run to the same boost levels/regs as in period?
Depends on what you're after in an event. Are you looking for something that's so tightly tied up in regulations to "enforce" a parity or are you looking for a race where the car gets thrown around for 6 hours in the company of like minded individuals that don't care a jot that a big 4L Jag and an Austin A40 can be in the same era class and sharing the track with current "Britcar" teams.

Quote:
As mentioned above, perhaps the idea was flawed from the onset?
Depends on what you're after. A "pureist" era for era recreation of past events or something in the spirit of the original which was endurance racing for "everyman" for the cars of the day.

Quote:
For sure, a fantastic idea, but one that would that would need such a great deal of organisation, and willing people to 'make it happen'.
Already happens, happened for the 5th time this weekend.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 10:41 (Ref:3444978)   #28
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

A 1987 production specification Sierra Cosworth, would be totally 'outclassed' by a 1991 Group N Sierra Cosworth.
Even a 1988/1989 production specification Sierra Cosworth, would be much different to a 1987 car. As the boost levels had not been 'pegged back', and they were in their first year of racing.

Also if 2 cars the same were to enter there would need to be some sort of parity between the two. So ideally they would run to the same boost levels/regs as in period?
One of the major reasons for the relatively open nature of the eligibility regulations in the 360MRC is that it's an endurance race, as was the original Willhire. It's far less about ensuring the exact parity of individual vehicles than it is about preparation, reliability, strategy, and smooth, mechanically sympathetic driving. We needed to find a creative class structure that allows those factors to be reflected out on the track and in the results and we've gone some way to achieving that. We certainly don't have any issues with eligibility!

I think that the attempt at Donington to recreate the Willhire was a brave plan but, as in so many aspects of life as well as motor racing, you can't rewrite history.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 11:44 (Ref:3444987)   #29
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry but the Donington attempt was a reunion and the 360 is a race. The thing is the 360 this year was as close to the original idea of the WILLHIRE than ever before. The WILLHIRE was originally intended to be a six hour event (that's what Roger wanted to sponsor) it was for relatively production standard type cars ( we had two cars in that were DRIVEN to the circuit) it was on the 200 circuit ( as pointed out in last years lit from JT " the closest you can get to the original format of the WILLHIRE" and we had a relay class (which in the first running of the WILLHIRE caused as much confusion as they did this year! )

The WILLHIRE was NOT an historic race, it was the production cars of the day, we took that concept and added to it, yes it's changed but for the better I think

I think (Andy said this some time back in this thread) if you want the same sort of fun that was had at the WILLHIRE today , you could do a lot worse than The 360 but I may be bias

Last edited by MartinSmith; 18 Aug 2014 at 11:53.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 21:06 (Ref:3445187)   #30
racemech
Rookie

United Kingdom
racemech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Depends on what you're after in an event. Are you looking for something that's so tightly tied up in regulations to "enforce" a parity or are you looking for a race where the car gets thrown around for 6 hours in the company of like minded individuals that don't care a jot
As described in my previous post, the idea was first launched for genuine cars, and as a 'Reunion'. A reunion, is, as it says - A coming together again after a period of time.

So therefore, that to me, means 'as was'. I.e - a class structure, and firm regulations to give parity.

Try not having parity in any of the Willhire's were championship points were at stake, you would have had an outrage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Already happens, happened for the 5th time this weekend.
No, perhaps you missed my point? That was the 360 MRC event, not the proposed HRDC Willhire Reunion.

I acknowledge the fact that the 360 MRC 6hr is an endurance race, and being just that, it will have a feel of camaraderie etc.

As stated in my previous post, they were my own personal views, and weren't directed in a negative way.

Cheers,
racemech.