Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Jan 2015, 20:12 (Ref:3493654)   #1
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC Media Day

Hi, I know it is a few weeks off but who is allowed to attend the media day at Donnington? Do you have to apply for a pass?

many Thanks
Old 17 Jan 2015, 22:04 (Ref:3493692)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Media only in the morning. Public will be let in for the afternoon.
Old 18 Jan 2015, 12:52 (Ref:3493797)   #3
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks

Guess reading the btcc site they sell tickets on there too
Thanks
Old 18 Jan 2015, 13:03 (Ref:3493799)   #4
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From last year, the gates opened at 12:30 to let the public in and the test starts at 1 and runs till 5.

The pit lane was open to walk up and down before the test started and even during you could stand in the pit lane and get on the pit wall to watch the action, just make sure you don't get run over.

Here's my vid from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVpQFN09_VQ
Old 18 Jan 2015, 13:09 (Ref:3493801)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tator2001uk View Post
Guess reading the btcc site they sell tickets on there too
Tickets are not required, it's free entry.
Old 18 Jan 2015, 17:36 (Ref:3493861)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I cant recall if it was 2014 or 2013 but it was epically cold. Gloves are a must if you are taking photos etc.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 18:41 (Ref:3495667)   #7
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
From last year, the gates opened at 12:30 to let the public in and the test starts at 1 and runs till 5.

The pit lane was open to walk up and down before the test started and even during you could stand in the pit lane and get on the pit wall to watch the action, just make sure you don't get run over.
...but you do have to be 16 or over to be in the pit lane once the test starts.
Old 14 Feb 2015, 18:25 (Ref:3504923)   #8
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
...but you do have to be 16 or over to be in the pit lane once the test starts.
Actually, when the pitlane becomes live. NO member of the public should be in the pit lane!!

No wonder we have trouble doing our jobs with idiots getting in our way!!
Old 15 Feb 2015, 18:55 (Ref:3505220)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally View Post
Public = idiots ????

To be fair I broadly agree but that's a tad harsh! I believe there are one or two members of the public that may actually not be idiots (at least not all the time). If you're going to have 'civilians' wandering around the pitlane then test day is the best time for it I'd have thought - less of them around and they will at least be motorsport savvy (not many armchair BTCC crash monkies will bother with test day).
Old 15 Feb 2015, 23:55 (Ref:3505322)   #10
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally View Post
Actually, when the pitlane becomes live. NO member of the public should be in the pit lane!!

Customers getting in the way of the smooth running of the organisation again ?

I know, safety comes first
Old 16 Feb 2015, 15:15 (Ref:3505483)   #11
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No members of the public should be anywhere near a live pitlane, full stop. There is security on the access gates to stop non-passholders to gain access, so to be there without a pass is trespass.

Last edited by medius; 16 Feb 2015 at 15:22.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 16:21 (Ref:3505498)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
No members of the public should be anywhere near a live pitlane, full stop. There is security on the access gates to stop non-passholders to gain access, so to be there without a pass is trespass.
My experience is that some series are more strict on this than others. I do agree, however that the pit lane is no place for the general punter.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 22:59 (Ref:3505602)   #13
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Speaking as someone of an orange boilersuit persuasion, the pit lane is possibly one of the most dangerous places on Earth (other than the immediate sides of a race start, or the caldera of an active volcano). Cars, people, fuel, wheels, jacks, wheelguns, compressed gas, other fluids.. it's a slippery place, full of sudden noise and heat and confusion.

It is *not* somewhere random MoPs should be. In most cases it's not somewhere random marshals should be, either!

In my experience that's exactly what happens. Once the cars start moving, the public go (if not the other way round). If you're lucky enough to be on the pit wall when the cars start moving, stay there until it's over!
Old 17 Feb 2015, 00:03 (Ref:3505626)   #14
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For the last 2 years when I've been at the media day, I've always asked the first marshal that I see if its ok to be in the pit area and can you stand on the pit wall and in both years its been a yes to both.
Last year the circuit opened at half 12 and the test started at 1, but for that half hour the pit was open for the general public, which was a bad idea as it seamed to take a bit time and cause a lot of extra work for the marshals to get everyone out so the test could start on time.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 14:52 (Ref:3505804)   #15
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Speaking as someone of an orange boilersuit persuasion, the pit lane is possibly one of the most dangerous places on Earth (other than the immediate sides of a race start, or the caldera of an active volcano). Cars, people, fuel, wheels, jacks, wheelguns, compressed gas, other fluids.. it's a slippery place, full of sudden noise and heat and confusion.

It is *not* somewhere random MoPs should be. In most cases it's not somewhere random marshals should be, either!

In my experience that's exactly what happens. Once the cars start moving, the public go (if not the other way round). If you're lucky enough to be on the pit wall when the cars start moving, stay there until it's over!
But where can I take 1200 photos of racing cars with my point and shoot camera to come home and share them on ten-tenths?

Seriously though, it sets a bad example, as people then assume they can get into the pitlane all the time. It's a dangerous place to be, whether you think you're being careful or not. I was nearly run over going to a grid walk by a Seat Leon and I was just following the team PR girl who was leading everyone there!
Old 17 Feb 2015, 15:03 (Ref:3505807)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
You can almost as easily get run over in the paddock too, so its nothing that unusual. Donington paddock seems the worst, I think because its so wide and open and drivers feel they can drive quicker, without realising that people are wandering about.