Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 May 2012, 01:47 (Ref:3074645)   #1
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic Winton 26 & 27 May

I can't believe this isn't already a thread ?

With well over 400 entries of both cars & bikes, this will (as always) be an amazing weekend of beautiful cars, fond memories, massive displays and great racing.

Raceway entry fees: Sat $20, Sun $30, Competition paddock $5,
Children 14 and under n/c.

THE BEST VALUE MOTOR SPORT TICKET YOU CAN BUY IN 2012 !

Celebrations in 2012 include plenty of birthdays:

110 years of Cadillac.
90 years of Austin Seven, Lancia Lambda, Austin 12/4.
85 years of A Model Ford.
80 years of Austin 10, Hillman Minx, Hudson Terraplane.
75 years of Volvo, Cadillac LaSalle.
60 years for the Austin Healey 100, Renault 8, Austin Champ, Austin A30.
50 years of Ford Cortina Mk1, AC Cobra, Austin Freeway, Triumph

The following classes will be racing on both days.

CARS:
Regularity One
Groups M&O Sports/Racing
Historic F-Ford
Group Lb Sports
Group Lb Racing
Group Nb
Group Nc
Group Q&R Sports/Racing
Regularity Two
Group J
Group K
Group Sa/Sb/Sc

Motorcycles.
All Vintage,
Class C,
all 125s,
P3 250s,
P3 350s
All Sidecars
P3 500’s & Unlimited ,
P4 up to 500’s,
P5 up to 600’s
P4 Unlimited,
P5 Unlimited

http://www.austin7club.org/newwinton.htm

http://www.austin7club.org/historic_winton_update.htm

Last edited by Rachel Richards; 15 May 2012 at 01:57.
Old 15 May 2012, 06:59 (Ref:3074672)   #2
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be there, how about you?

The weekend is massive in terms of bang for your buck, qualifying plus 17 races on the Saturday alone makes it worthwhile.

And then there is the carpark....I could (and have) spent hours wandering through that...
Old 15 May 2012, 07:11 (Ref:3074676)   #3
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be going, not sure if Sat or Sun at this stage
Old 17 May 2012, 10:14 (Ref:3075631)   #4
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone going up or coming back on Sunday be aware the Western Ring Road will be closed ALL DAY Sunday (27th) between Sydney & Pascoe Vale Roads to allow a pedestrian bridge to be dismantled.
Old 25 May 2012, 01:34 (Ref:3079033)   #5
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
bumping this back up to the top of the pile and reminding it's on this weekend.
Old 25 May 2012, 02:23 (Ref:3079040)   #6
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Weather for Benalla

As usual, take your entire wardrobe............
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 26 May 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3079453)   #7
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Day started damp, few showers, most races were dry and got real cold rwal quick late in the afternoon today.
Old 29 May 2012, 01:25 (Ref:3080893)   #8
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The weather on Sunday was brilliant! There was a fairly heavy crash in the afternoon Grp Q & R race, one of the cars lost control coming out of the esses and went into the infield-side concrete wall. The driver appeared to be ok, the car less so, from my vantage point down at turn 1.

There was a lot of great racing through the day, I'll comment further when I have a chance to go through my photos
Old 30 May 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3082181)   #9
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
The weather on Sunday was brilliant! There was a fairly heavy crash in the afternoon Grp Q & R race, one of the cars lost control coming out of the esses and went into the infield-side concrete wall. The driver appeared to be ok, the car less so, from my vantage point down at turn 1.

There was a lot of great racing through the day, I'll comment further when I have a chance to go through my photos
It would be great if you could post up some of those photo's John.
Old 31 May 2012, 06:09 (Ref:3082245)   #10
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went on Saturday...

Morning

Afternoon

Old 31 May 2012, 22:35 (Ref:3082934)   #11
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such a shame this had to conflict with the Shannons round at PI. We would have loved to have been there, could have got a whole half hour special out of it.
Sadly there's another conflict later this year with the Shannons Sandown round on the same weekend as the PIARC Diamond Jubilee Island Magic.
And this time they can't claim it's a CAMS vs AASA thing.
The sport is run by fools.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 13:22 (Ref:3083244)   #12
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
It's not like they move the A7CC All Historic meeting around, in it's 30+ year history only the mighty V8's, who pinched the date at Winton one year, it has always been on the last weekend in May.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 13:55 (Ref:3083267)   #13
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't recall the V8's ever being on the last weekend in May PVDA....I know they wanted it, but they had to settle for the weekend previous IIRC. This being the tradition of the Historic weekends, PI being the weekend before the GP, Mallala on the Easter Weekend, Winton the last weekend in May etc.
Old 2 Jun 2012, 09:06 (Ref:3083675)   #14
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
From memory it was the year of the cancelled China round so they held it at Peoples Republic of Win-Ton under the guidance of Emperor Ronke instead.

Pretty sure it was pre Dinozzo though
Old 3 Jun 2012, 00:02 (Ref:3084079)   #15
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island

First up: Brett, (sadly) Knackers is right, the last 36 years has seen the Austin 7 Club promote and run Historic Winton.

Maybe your favorite track should have paid homage to that fact when they scheduled against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
I don't recall the V8's ever being on the last weekend in May PVDA....I know they wanted it, but they had to settle for the weekend previous IIRC. This being the tradition of the Historic weekends, PI being the weekend before the GP, Mallala on the Easter Weekend, Winton the last weekend in May etc.
Correct, (as if I ever had any doubt in you, my Historic wise friend.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
From memory it was the year of the cancelled China round so they held it at Peoples Republic of Win-Ton under the guidance of Emperor Ronke instead.

Pretty sure it was pre Dinozzo though
Don't question him Paul, he wins again (clearly too much motorbike crap has infiltrated your brain)

2006, Winton did bail TC out of the China Syndrome, with Mono-brow taking home the bikkies ( grid girls too IIRC). http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...2006.WIN.V8S.M

As much as TC & his cronies wanted it, they had to settle for a week later...

* And for record, in 07 the V8's were a week earlier than the traditional Historic date.
Old 3 Jun 2012, 01:15 (Ref:3084094)   #16
inpitlane
Veteran

Rachel,
Our coverage of Phillip Island has nothing to do with whether or not it's my favourite track but more to do with commercial reality.
We have a sponsorship agreement in place with the All Seasons Resort and that sponsorship is based on us covering all meetings at PI apart from V8's MotoGP and World Superbikes.
This deal was in fact brokered by the Bass Coast Shire Council who appreciated the exposure that grass roots racing at the Island was getting from In Pit Lane and the fact that it was bringing more people into the area.
We have said before that we treat Winton as interstate purely because of the huge costs involved in us filming there.
If someone up at Winton could cover the $1200 per camera per weekend that it costs us to film there then we'd happily be there every race.
Also as much as I hate the fact that there was a clash, I don't see why it should be CAMS responsibility to assist the successful running of a race meeting run by the AASA, who are their competitors.
I know that the Historic Winton has been on that weekend for decades but times change and tradition and $3.50 will buy you a cheap cup of coffee.
There's nothing major on locally this weekend so why not move it there.
Like I said I love the meeting, and the fact that I had to go to the Island also cost me personally as I was supposed to cover it for Auto Action.
The only way to solve this mess is to stick with strict date selection criteria as used to be the case in the past..
1. AGP & V8 Supercars set their dates
2. Other CAMS National Series then set their dates
3. CAMS State Series set their dates (trying to avoid clashes where possible)
4. Other 1 off meetings (Historics, Island Magic, Muscle Car Masters etc set their dates.
5. Everything else takes what's left.
If AASA choose to run their meetings on the same weekends than that's their decision.
This approach of course requires something called strong leadership, and as we know the words strong leadership and CAMS are mutually exclusive.
Old 3 Jun 2012, 01:39 (Ref:3084097)   #17
CooperS79
Racer

Australia
Wollongong
CooperS79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't the Austin 7 car club run the historic? Therefore I would assume they pick the date? Nothing to do with AASA?
Old 3 Jun 2012, 02:21 (Ref:3084103)   #18
inpitlane
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperS79 View Post
Doesn't the Austin 7 car club run the historic? Therefore I would assume they pick the date? Nothing to do with AASA?
Yes but having chosen the AASA over CAMS then CAMS responsibility to them and the event is over.
In setting their calendar that meeting ceased to exist as far as CAMS goes.
Having said that, the Shannons Sandown and Island Magic clash is 100% down to CAMS and if the Nationals simply couldn't get another date at Sandown as they claim, then they should have forced Island Magic to move.
Old 3 Jun 2012, 03:51 (Ref:3084118)   #19
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
This approach of course requires something called strong leadership, and as we know the words strong leadership and CAMS are mutually exclusive.
Never has a truer word been said!!!
Old 3 Jun 2012, 07:16 (Ref:3084164)   #20
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
I have a little bit of Sympathy for CAMS on the leadership question. If the organisation sticks to relying on all the club based committees ( there are over 100 of them across all disciplines I believe) it is a cumbersome, unwieldy & frankly messy setup where it takes forever to make change & it is very hard to show leadership.

If the organisation shows leadership & tries to take the committees down a better path, it is accused of arrogance & not listening to it's member base.

I by no means think that it has ever been a perfect organisation but accusing CAMS of lack of leadership is I think harsh given the structure that it has.
Old 3 Jun 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3084826)   #21
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless the Shannons series has a good schedule on saturday, I'll be choosing to go to Phillip Island. Whenever there's a clash, PI always wins out.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 07:56 (Ref:3084942)   #22
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards View Post
Don't question him Paul, he wins again
No he doesn't

From this very forum via a simple Google search I found this.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27414

Quote:
Within the next few days we expect to see the V8 Calendar released showing a V8 round on the last full weekend in May, at Winton. Most of you will realize that the Austin 7 Club has run HISTORIC WINTON on that date for the past 26 years.

Last edited by PVDA; 4 Jun 2012 at 08:06.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 11:06 (Ref:3085026)   #23
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
No he doesn't

From this very forum via a simple Google search I found this.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27414

Anorak...
Old 11 Jun 2012, 08:33 (Ref:3088851)   #24
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Some photo's from the weekend can be found here;

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0964065&type=3
Old 11 Jun 2012, 09:05 (Ref:3088859)   #25
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
More photo's;

http://martincreely.photoshelter.com...000wLSoJ_PZnFk