Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Apr 2012, 20:49 (Ref:3063298)   #1
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
EASTERN CREEK BACK!!!!!!!!!!

August date now at Eastern Creek:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/04/22/...cars-calendar/
Old 21 Apr 2012, 21:40 (Ref:3063317)   #2
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EASTERN CREEK BACK

Well could see that coming

Hope it is on the short track, would be a cracker
Old 21 Apr 2012, 21:45 (Ref:3063318)   #3
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe V8$A has sought to make peace with the ARDC in the expectation that the NSW government will not renew the deal to bankroll Homebush after 2013? It was the stated position of Premier Barry O'Farrell in the run up to last year's election.
Old 21 Apr 2012, 22:46 (Ref:3063341)   #4
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From here

Quote:
Glenn Matthews, CEO of the ARDC, managers of Eastern Creek International Raceway, said that since the venue's $11-million refurbishment, Sydney’s motorsport fans had been loud and constant in their call for V8 Supercars to return.

"Eastern Creek is the only permanent race circuit in Sydney and is a perfect complement to the street circuit event held at Olympic Park in December," Matthews said.

I bet D.R.T's just choked on his breakfast crumpet reading that!

Sound like VESA and the ARDC have smoked the peace pipe and had a big love in

Jokes aside, its great to see Eastern Creek return and the new Winton date is certainly better weather wise.
Old 21 Apr 2012, 22:50 (Ref:3063342)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Story Here

Somehow it is not likely the story is as clear cut as moving chess pieces (race dates) around the board.

The stories out of places that may or may not include ICAC, suggest that with the impending investigation into the securing of the Homebush event, that all kinds of dirty laundry such as pricing, negotiations, profit margins etc. may enter the public realm.... with a logical conclusion that the funding and support for the Homebush event ceases to continue, by mutual agreement, after the conclusion of this year's event. Presumably a payment may or may not be made, depending on who has the bargaining chips.

So based on the possible activity above, it might be said that the 'new' event at Eastern Creek may be VESA's way of maintaining an event in the Sydney market, if/when its marquee Homebush street race may not continue...

Having said that, it was said on a number of occasions that perhaps the only way the VESA mob and the ARDC would get in a room together was if they were forced to... imagine if a landlord (NSW Government..) had a hand at introducing the love between the two parties, as a managed exit from the other event...

Clean, tidy, absolutely the wrong move. But neat.

Presuming any of this might actually have happened
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Apr 2012, 00:33 (Ref:3063390)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does anyone want to go??

Wonder who will pay the teams' costs to run that additional round of the series?
Old 22 Apr 2012, 02:35 (Ref:3063410)   #7
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any team with some modicum of forward planning will have budgeted for the TBA round until such time it was confirmed or cancelled.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 03:44 (Ref:3063424)   #8
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Does anyone want to go??

Wonder who will pay the teams' costs to run that additional round of the series?
Not an additional round though - exactly the same number first announced with the only change being venue.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 03:51 (Ref:3063427)   #9
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:

Having said that, it was said on a number of occasions that perhaps the only way the VESA mob and the ARDC would get in a room together was if they were forced to... imagine if a landlord (NSW Government..) had a hand at introducing the love between the two parties, as a managed exit from the other event...

:
Also need to bear in mind that both VESA & ARDC are now very different organizations - Archer now very much running VESA with TC a high level employee (allegedly) & ARDC with a new CEO & General Manager.

Good time to start afresh.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 03:52 (Ref:3063428)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Not an additional round though - exactly the same number first announced with the only change being venue.
It is an additional round. If the series were to be off to Bahrain in November as originally intended, the financial contribution from the people doing the inviting would have covered all transport & accommodation costs, as well as making some contribution to team operating costs thru REC income.

To run at Eastern Creek instead, the teams need to fly all of their crew in, accomodate them, feed them, and pay to operate the cars. So net-net, the teams are likely to be at a financial disadvantage running at Eastern Creek as opposed to running in Bahrain.

Wonder if being unable to secure the overseas round is wht Mr Whitaker has been much rumoured to be seeking alternate opportunities?
Old 22 Apr 2012, 04:03 (Ref:3063431)   #11
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This round now falls the weekend before Muscle car masters. MCM has always attracted huge crowds with its fathers day date and it spectator friendly atmosphere, not to mention some beautiful machinery on display and racing.
This would already be marked into a lot of peoples calenders and I cant see them changing to go to V8sc. I can see MCM attracting a bigger crowd than V8SC.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 22 Apr 2012, 04:06 (Ref:3063433)   #12
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
I can see MCM attracting a bigger crowd than V8SC.
Hasn't it always? Don't think that will ever change.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 04:08 (Ref:3063436)   #13
SilverSpeed
Racer

Australia
Australia
SilverSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It is an additional round. If the series were to be off to Bahrain in November as originally intended, the financial contribution from the people doing the inviting would have covered all transport & accommodation costs, as well as making some contribution to team operating costs thru REC income.

To run at Eastern Creek instead, the teams need to fly all of their crew in, accomodate them, feed them, and pay to operate the cars. So net-net, the teams are likely to be at a financial disadvantage running at Eastern Creek as opposed to running in Bahrain.

Wonder if being unable to secure the overseas round is wht Mr Whitaker has been much rumoured to be seeking alternate opportunities?
That was never the case, BIC said at the start of last year that they didn't plan on having the V8s back any time soon.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 04:19 (Ref:3063437)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
That was never the case, BIC said at the start of last year that they didn't plan on having the V8s back any time soon.
Yet VESA released a calendar with a TBA...
Old 22 Apr 2012, 04:42 (Ref:3063442)   #15
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Yet VESA released a calendar with a TBA...
Because it was a TBA - was never suggested it might be Bahrain that I can recall.

Was always a possibility that a TBA could be an Australian round - totally agree with your earlier post that an offshore round costs the teams less but when a round is TBA, any team not budgeting for the possibility of it being an Oz round would be foolish.

You should also bear in mind that many teams have Australian sponsors who see less benefit in offshore rounds & pay accordingly - some teams MAY puck up some additional income now that the TBA location is known.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 05:10 (Ref:3063444)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
When the series didnt go to China for the second year, Tasman lost a large sponsorship deal with Smorgon Steel.

Swings & roundabouts...
Old 22 Apr 2012, 06:34 (Ref:3063453)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
"Eastern Creek a one off" - D.Malone

Old 22 Apr 2012, 09:11 (Ref:3063506)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A one-off deal to impress, and the event is only announced four months out, and part-way through the current season....

What do either of them have to gain (if you take the article at face value)?
Old 22 Apr 2012, 09:22 (Ref:3063510)   #19
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
A one-off deal to impress, and the event is only announced four months out, and part-way through the current season....

What do either of them have to gain (if you take the article at face value)?
I guess that both parties have a chance to see how they work together as it's been some time and plenty of different people in both organisations.

After that, who knows? if it works and there's a good crowd then could be back to the Creek on a basis that works for both parties.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 09:23 (Ref:3063511)   #20
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quite a funny scenario.

Looking back at all of Tony Cochranes bravado from 2008 and now this about turn from VESA Very amusing.

Strange Tony has been so quiet on this announcement?

Jason Bright's comment about Sydney was also strange - is he that out of the loop in regards to the state of the Sydney street event?
Old 22 Apr 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3063514)   #21
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be interesting to see how this fares for spectators considering MCM the following weekend. Somehow I can't see this contributing to an ongoing positive relationship with V8 & ARDC. Could end up being the final nail...
Old 22 Apr 2012, 09:33 (Ref:3063517)   #22
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope ARDC is not paying V8's for the privilege of hosting the event in return for takings at the gate. From memory this was the problem last time? V8's charging too much and everyone in Sydney staying home due to the rain!
Old 22 Apr 2012, 23:19 (Ref:3063925)   #23
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone remember if V8SA promoted the last event at EC? Or was it ARDC? Maybe this time around it is a track hire only contract, with V8SA taking care of the promotion of the event? There was a decent crowd for the test day last year, so people *do* go there for V8s.... but at a greatly reduced cost to a regular round. Ticket pricing may be the nail in the coffin for the event methinks.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 23:24 (Ref:3063926)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So... What support categories shall be on the undercard?

The national categories' calendars are set... so it doesnt seem promising...

Maybe it will be like some F1 events overseas, the V8Supercars are the only ontrack event for the weekend
Old 22 Apr 2012, 23:32 (Ref:3063930)   #25
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So... What support categories shall be on the undercard?

The national categories' calendars are set... so it doesnt seem promising...

Maybe it will be like some F1 events overseas, the V8Supercars are the only ontrack event for the weekend
Classes are sure to be thin on the ground, especially given that all the National series supports are also moving to Winton in Nov.

You can almost rule out any Historic type cars, with Muscle Car Masters (and the Winton long track histroics) being so close.

Here are a few that could stump up some cars....

Radicals
F'Vee
The Qld Gemini series
I.P.
HQ's
And if you ask the AASA nicely, they could get a field of Super TT that would put on some great racing.