Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Oct 2012, 23:13 (Ref:3146363)   #1
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin Bond Alfa 75

Anyone know what happened to Colin Bond's ATCC Alfa 75? I'd love to track it down.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 23:38 (Ref:3146376)   #2
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was all but written off at Bathurst in '87.

It may have been turned into a sports sedan after that.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 23:45 (Ref:3146382)   #3
alfagtv
Rookie

alfagtv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post

It may have been turned into a sports sedan after that.
All but. I believe it was repaired after Crashario '87 and THEN comprehensively written off in a rollover at Oran Park a few years later. All that is left of it is a couple of souvenir doors and guards around the place.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 00:25 (Ref:3146404)   #4
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn! Was ready to fork out the cash if it were up for sale... that's a real shame.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 01:23 (Ref:3146424)   #5
prn 31
Racer

prn 31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfagtv View Post
All but. I believe it was repaired after Crashario '87 and THEN comprehensively written off in a rollover at Oran Park a few years later. All that is left of it is a couple of souvenir doors and guards around the place.
I know that John Cotter wanted to buy it and race it in Group A, but it was sold to fellow Alfa Club race Bob McDonald who turned it into a (slow) sports sedan and wrote it off at Oran Park as already mentioned.

A lot of the stuff was parted out and I think one of the engines (there were two?) ended up in Andrew Papadopoulos's GTV sports sedan.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 07:09 (Ref:3146462)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
It was rebuilt after Bathurst 87, and arguably ran better. Bond drove it at the AGP support race at the end of 1987, qualifying 4th and finishing 5th

Quote:
Originally Posted by prn 31
I know that John Cotter wanted to buy it and race it in Group A, but it was sold to fellow Alfa Club race Bob McDonald who turned it into a (slow) sports sedan and wrote it off at Oran Park as already mentioned.
Gerard Murphy bought it at the end of 1987, painted in blue and raced it at Round 1 of the 1988 ATCC at Calder.

John Cotter racing it in Sports Sedans at some point (with a big rear wing on it) rings a bell.

The write-off happened around 1995 (i think this was posted on this forum at some point)
Old 8 Oct 2012, 03:54 (Ref:3147987)   #7
prn 31
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
It was rebuilt after Bathurst 87, and arguably ran better. Bond drove it at the AGP support race at the end of 1987, qualifying 4th and finishing 5th

Gerard Murphy bought it at the end of 1987, painted in blue and raced it at Round 1 of the 1988 ATCC at Calder.

John Cotter racing it in Sports Sedans at some point (with a big rear wing on it) rings a bell.

The write-off happened around 1995 (i think this was posted on this forum at some point)
Was the Bond car sold to Gerard Murphy??

I think Murphy built up their own car and this was subsequently written off by one of their mechanics testing it at Oran Park....

John Cotter bought the second Ignis/Toy Shop/Pye GTV6 and sold it (when he bought the Brock M3s) to Andrew Leithhead who turned it into a sports sedan and wrote it off at Amaroo Park circa 1992.

I'm pretty sure the 75 was bought by Bob McDonald but I think that Cotter would have driven the car on occasions.
Old 8 Oct 2012, 08:47 (Ref:3148049)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by prn 31 View Post
Was the Bond car sold to Gerard Murphy??

I think Murphy built up their own car and this was subsequently written off by one of their mechanics testing it at Oran Park....
I'm pretty sure the 75 was bought by Bob McDonald but I think that Cotter would have driven the car on occasions.
I was basing the Murphy car being the Bond car off the fact it still ran as #75 at Calder in '88 & the vague memory i read about it ages ago. I've little knowledge beyond that so certainly a good chance the Murphy car was different.

There is a picture of the ex-Bond car in the 1995 AMRY from Oran Park. It is dark blue, #75 and in Citibank colours, with the caption naming John Cotter as the driver.
Old 8 Oct 2012, 10:24 (Ref:3148112)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wasnt there actually a second Alfa 75 Group 'A' shell here at some point?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Oct 2012, 09:34 (Ref:3149847)   #10
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Wasnt there actually a second Alfa 75 Group 'A' shell here at some point?
Wasn't there a Group E car too, or am I thinking of the GTV ?
Old 11 Oct 2012, 09:41 (Ref:3149852)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Oct 2012, 08:34 (Ref:3152718)   #12
Carter-Nelson
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne - Australia
Carter-Nelson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
Hi David 5,
Yeah, I think there was a Group E (Production car) that was a GTV6 and I'm sure it became the Gulson Group C then Group A Dulux GTV6.

Scott CfoD'ed the car many years ago and raced in historics in the Dulux livery.

Nev.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 12:54 (Ref:3152841)   #13
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Bondy's GTV at Bathurst in 1984 was previously a Group E car.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 06:08 (Ref:3153195)   #14
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
I think Bondy's GTV at Bathurst in 1984 was previously a Group E car.
Spot on,I think the Gulson car was the press/1st V6 car to enter OZ,I drove it when Bill Clemens had it for a few days,I've got a gut feeling it was on multi carbs rather then injection?
Old 17 Oct 2012, 07:15 (Ref:3153206)   #15
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter-Nelson View Post
Hi David 5,
Yeah, I think there was a Group E (Production car) that was a GTV6 and I'm sure it became the Gulson Group C then Group A Dulux GTV6.

Scott CfoD'ed the car many years ago and raced in historics in the Dulux livery.

Nev.
Saw the Dulux car go round at an AROC 6hour relay @ Winton in the early 90s.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 10:03 (Ref:3153292)   #16
Carter-Nelson
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne - Australia
Carter-Nelson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey View Post
Spot on,I think the Gulson car was the press/1st V6 car to enter OZ,I drove it when Bill Clemens had it for a few days,I've got a gut feeling it was on multi carbs rather then injection?
Hi,
I'm sure your right that the Gulson GTV6 was the Press car but also pretty sure it always had the fuel injection. I drove it at Winton when Scott and I swapped cars and he drove the Carter XE Falcon. The Alfa was fun but you have to really drive it, not like a big lazy Falcon V8!

I'm sure Hugh told me the yellow Ignis Bond GTV6 was a Italian Alfa factory built left hand drive car that was brought to Australia for Group A racing. It was damaged by Bond in the period and rebuilt by the Australian factory team with a left hand drive shell and Bond continued to race it in the Ignis livery throughout Group A...until they built the 75?

Hugh drove the car to a Sports Sedan championship in the 1990's, and Trent is now a great FFord driver....the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! I raced 2ltr Alfetta's with them and together we won the Alfa Club 6 hour relay at Winton a few years back, some of the best racing has been with these guys.

Nev.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 04:17 (Ref:3153679)   #17
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi,
I'm sure your right that the Gulson GTV6 was the Press car but also pretty sure it always had the fuel injection. I drove it at Winton when Scott and I swapped cars and he drove the Carter XE Falcon. The Alfa was fun but you have to really drive it, not like a big lazy Falcon V8!

I'm sure Hugh told me the yellow Ignis Bond GTV6 was a Italian Alfa factory built left hand drive car that was brought to Australia for Group A racing. It was damaged by Bond in the period and rebuilt by the Australian factory team with a left hand drive shell and Bond continued to race it in the Ignis livery throughout Group A...until they built the 75?

Hugh drove the car to a Sports Sedan championship in the 1990's, and Trent is now a great FFord driver....the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! I raced 2ltr Alfetta's with them and together we won the Alfa Club 6 hour relay at Winton a few years back, some of the best racing has been with these guys.

Nev.
So long ago,but yes Hughs car was a re-shell from the Surfers enduro smash?
Small world i bought of Hughs brother in the early 80s the ex factory team car ('77 Bathurst /Bell car)
When i ran my Porsche carrera ,SC historic in states round on slicks,Scott and i always had great races against each other,the porker had the grunt,the little Alfa the corners,from memory I would be quicker at the island/Sandown and he would do better at Winton long track,regards Rob.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 04:31 (Ref:3153683)   #18
prn 31
Racer

Quote:
Hi,

Nev.
The Gulson GTV6 was the Alfa Australia press car that they bought out in 1982. It would have been sourced from the UK and it was fuel injected. The only carburettor GTV6s were the South African 3 litre Autodelta engined cars. They ran 6 Dell-Orto single choke carburettors – a mechanics nightmare…!

I’ve run through the GTV6 history in the Group C and A Thread, but yes but the car that Hugh Harrison owns started out as the ex-Luigi Racing LHD GTV6 for Jones and then written off by Bond at Surfers Paradise in late 85. The car was reshelled using an unstamped RHD shell and maintains the Luigi logbook and was raced by Bond throughout 86 whilst they waited for the 75 to come on stream.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 04:35 (Ref:3153684)   #19
prn 31
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey View Post
So long ago,but yes Hughs car was a re-shell from the Surfers enduro smash?
Small world i bought of Hughs brother in the early 80s the ex factory team car ('77 Bathurst /Bell car)
When i ran my Porsche carrera ,SC historic in states round on slicks,Scott and i always had great races against each other,the porker had the grunt,the little Alfa the corners,from memory I would be quicker at the island/Sandown and he would do better at Winton long track,regards Rob.
The ex-Foley team 2000 GTV raced by Derek Bell and Garry Leggatt at Bathurst in 1977 is currently being restored in NSW back to its ’77 Bathurst colours using the original shell .
Old 18 Oct 2012, 11:24 (Ref:3153805)   #20
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
There was a plan at least for Bond to drive a Group E 75 model in 1988
Old 19 Oct 2012, 04:19 (Ref:3154172)   #21
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by prn 31 View Post
The ex-Foley team 2000 GTV raced by Derek Bell and Garry Leggatt at Bathurst in 1977 is currently being restored in NSW back to its ’77 Bathurst colours using the original shell .
Ok I thought the shell was destroyed in a Targa Tasmania?
Is it still owned by its long term owner,i sold the car to his brother in about 1984.,that car had more hits then the Rolling Stones.