Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 11 May 2017, 09:01 (Ref:3732775)   #1
The Learner Driver
Rookie

The Learner Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are you driving this year and what would be your dream road car?

So what are you currently driving? If you could swap it for any road car at no cost, what would you choose?

As a learner driver, you can probably imagine what I'm driving so I won't even go there. As for my dream car it has to be an Aston Martin DB9.
Old 11 May 2017, 15:21 (Ref:3732825)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
My mother has a VW Gol 1.6 (NF). Great car, very comfortable and silent.

My dream car would depend on what I would wish to do.

To have fun, a Miata or GT 86.

To carry my family to a long trip, any C-segment car with some 150hp, be it a Ford Focus, Peugeot 3008 or BMW 2 Series Active Tourer.
Old 11 May 2017, 17:53 (Ref:3732867)   #3
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2014 Jetta 1.8 tsi is the current car.

dream car...such a hard question!!!

hard to get practicality out of my head so wouldn't go for anything too extravagant but that said, just the other day i saw a 2017 (maybe 18) Jaguar F Pace with a matte black finish in my parking lot and found myself thinking that this is the car i want to be driving around in this summer!
Old 12 May 2017, 03:02 (Ref:3732898)   #4
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My daily drive is a 2012 Ford Falcon XR6, I really like it, but a new BMW M2 would be very nice...
Old 12 May 2017, 07:56 (Ref:3732929)   #5
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I drive my dream car - a Caterham R400. Lottery win or not , it's still the car to drive for the simple joy of driving . It would be joined in my lottery funded dream garage by a Singer 911 , a Ferrari 275GTB4 (as much to look at as drive ) , an Elan Sprint. a Gordon Keeble GK1 and an Alfa Duetto . Oh - and a Macan for my daily drive .

Veyron, 918 , P1 etc - grotesquely complex , obscenely priced and so heavy.
Old 12 May 2017, 08:30 (Ref:3732937)   #6
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
The issue is the 'just one' - it has to be versatile.
Currently a Volvo V70; no expense replacement? Probably an Overfinch RangeRover.
Old 12 May 2017, 08:33 (Ref:3732938)   #7
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Currently driving my first car, a '92 1.6 NA MX-5. Unfortunately it's rusting and rotting away. Sadly, I won't be able to keep it on the road.

Current dream car? I am realistic. Current dream car would be a 996. Just any, really. Lightly modified, just like Jethro Bovingdon's.
Old 15 May 2017, 12:00 (Ref:3733600)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Daily drivers are a MINI and a Honda FRV (don't ask). Dream car is a Ford RS200 - I was 10 when group B was at it's height so you can imagine the impression the cars made
Old 15 May 2017, 17:01 (Ref:3733642)   #9
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Real world , one size fits all car would be a Macan - I need some offroad ability
If I didn't - no brainer really - some iteration of 2wd 911 .
Old 15 May 2017, 17:54 (Ref:3733650)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I'm looking around for an auto Vauxhall Corsa for my wife. The last Corsa we had was a fantastic car but I'm not so sure the current variants will be so reliable.
Old 16 May 2017, 09:43 (Ref:3733803)   #11
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Current Car = Vauxhall Meriva, it is awful!
Dream Car = 49 Mercury with a big block and a roof chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Daily drivers are a MINI and a Honda FRV (don't ask). Dream car is a Ford RS200 - I was 10 when group B was at it's height so you can imagine the impression the cars made
My first ever rally I went to was the 86 RAC. I caught the train to Yorkshire from London, and was picked up by my psychopathic friends in a 240 Volvo which took off at 100 mph towards the forest. We walked about 5 miles in the dark to a stage that was supposed to be closed to spectators. About a 1000 other people had not got the message either.
The Sky lit up about 2 miles away from the leaders spotlights and the exhaust backfires sounded like an artillery battle. Then the cars started coming past and it was spectacular. A Lancia went into the ditch right in front of me, flipped on it's roof, and the brakes set the grass on fire. I was expecting someone to call the fire brigade, but instead everyone ran out of the woods, set the car on it's wheels, and it took off with a roar.
It was just brilliant, and I am so lucky to have seen those beasts before they got banned.
Old 16 May 2017, 17:20 (Ref:3733894)   #12
The Learner Driver
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I'm looking around for an auto Vauxhall Corsa for my wife. The last Corsa we had was a fantastic car but I'm not so sure the current variants will be so reliable.
Which variant and year did you have? Was it an auto as well?
Old 16 May 2017, 17:21 (Ref:3733895)   #13
The Learner Driver
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
Current Car = Vauxhall Meriva, it is awful!
What's wrong with the Meriva? Are you looking to get something to replace it?
Old 17 May 2017, 11:40 (Ref:3734053)   #14
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Learner Driver View Post
What's wrong with the Meriva? Are you looking to get something to replace it?
It would be easier to list what is right with it! It is a company car with 125,000 on the clock. Maybe it has had a hard life and this one is a dud, but I suspect they are all nasty.
In no particular order, the power steering cuts in and out, the heater is useless, the rear doors won't lock, the radio does not work, the rear wipers don't work. All of which could just be bad maintenance.
You can't plug something into the lighter socket and put a coffee in the cup holder
It is completely gutless, I got burned at the lights by a diesel punto.
It handles like a dinghy, constantly trying to put me in the hedge or ditch at low speed, and above 70 it floats all over the place.
Added to the fact that it looks horrible, I am not in love with it at all, but it does beat walking.
For 25 years I have always bought cars with high mileage, and for example my last Golf was ready for another 100k.
No wonder her sister Zafira decided to burst into flames in self disgust.
I will probably get an S type Jag as my next motor, you can score a real deal on a nice one.
Old 18 May 2017, 17:32 (Ref:3734302)   #15
The Learner Driver
Rookie

Oh dear that is quite a list of problems. I have the pulling left issue on a Clio amoungst other issues like the sunroof lets rain in.

Which old golf did you have? I'm hoping to get a cheap one, either the mk4 or 5.
Old 19 May 2017, 15:22 (Ref:3734481)   #16
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Quote:
Oh dear that is quite a list of problems. I have the pulling left issue on a Clio amoungst other issues like the sunroof lets rain in.

Which old golf did you have? I'm hoping to get a cheap one, either the mk4 or 5.
If it is pulling to the left, you should get a wheel alignment done asap. If you have to stop in a hurry you will be out of control. It is well worth it.

I had a Mk 3 Golf 1.8. Great car, bulletproof, a pleasure to drive. You can get a decent one for £500.
If you want my advice stay away from GM cars, I am on my second and the last was rubbish too.
Old 19 May 2017, 16:19 (Ref:3734486)   #17
The Learner Driver
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
If it is pulling to the left, you should get a wheel alignment done asap. If you have to stop in a hurry you will be out of control. It is well worth it.

I had a Mk 3 Golf 1.8. Great car, bulletproof, a pleasure to drive. You can get a decent one for £500.
If you want my advice stay away from GM cars, I am on my second and the last was rubbish too.
Thanks I will get that checked. Do you mean German cars by GM? How come you got rid of the golf? Do you know if the mk4 or 5 are any good? I will take a look at the mk3s
Old 20 May 2017, 10:44 (Ref:3734627)   #18
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Quote:
Thanks I will get that checked. Do you mean German cars by GM? How come you got rid of the golf? Do you know if the mk4 or 5 are any good? I will take a look at the mk3s
I meant to say check the brakes, tyres, and wheel alignment. They would do that anyway in the shop.
I had a Holden Commodore when I lived in Australia. I was paying a lot for it on finance, then at the same time a lot to fix it, on top of buying another car to get to work in. It pretty well ruined me. I can't speak for any other models.
I got rid of the Golf because I was involved in an accident, and it was written off. It was just a wrecked front wing, but it would have cost more than it was worth to fix.
I like to buy old cars and give them one last blaze of glory then send them to meet their maker. The Golf had one old lady owner, I bought it for £450, drove it for a year. It cost me gas, a bottle of oil, and two tyres at £50 a pop. I think some people pay more than that a month to get around. I drove it all over England and a couple of trips to Holland.
I have had a ride in a few newer golf's, they are a bit fatter and have more complicated gadgetry, but generally I reckon they are decent.
Old 20 May 2017, 19:21 (Ref:3734716)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Quote:
Which variant and year did you have? Was it an auto as well?
The old one was a manual, it has an Isuzu diesel that just goes on and on.
We just picked up her new car today and although it's probably the equivalent model it is light years in advance and has more toys than you can shake a stick at.
But, it doesn't have a spare wheel, no CD player which is a pain as I've recently got all our old CDs from the loft. Does however have DAB, MP3, Bluetooth and some other gadgets plus a direct emergency link to Vauxhall Motors. It's amazing how they have progressed just a tad worrying if something goes wrong with it.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-05-20 16.41.56.jpg  
Old 20 May 2017, 22:23 (Ref:3734763)   #20
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
A few years ago I was following a Peugeot 106 (Might have been the Citroen variant). A typical young driver first car of the times. The front and rear "axle" alignment was out by what must have been about 15cms.

The young lads driving in it looked like they were ready for some speedy round town action. I considered trying to stop them and warn them ... but figured they probably already knew they were driving a cheap car with a likely dodgy history. My guess would be a cut and shut job.

Whenever the press reports some road accident tragedy - 6 teenagers in a Nova which somehow has an accident and clips a lampost on a completely straight road and splits into two pieces one can assume two things that the press never seems to mention. One of them is that the car, neatly broken in two across the centre, was compromised in structure at some point in it life. The second is that the youngsters either had no clue or were mad enough not to care.

Consider getting something new on a special young driver scheme if you can. There are all sorts of benefit to doing so even if you think its a really naff and boring option.