Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Oct 2007, 10:28 (Ref:2044399)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Manufacturers propose new engine regs

Looks like they want the new "turbo" era pushed back a bit.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63410
Old 19 Oct 2007, 11:01 (Ref:2044414)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm ... I'd like to see production based turbos but I doubt that will happen ...

I don't think F1 should being in KERS as it's just push to pass by the back door.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 11:03 (Ref:2044417)   #3
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting idea.

As they've all signed the proposal, it stands more of a chance of being pushed through.

Getting them all to agree on something before any changes are made is a bonus.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 11:40 (Ref:2044444)   #4
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, it should be interesting.

I'd rather see turbos though with reduced engine size.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 12:18 (Ref:2044481)   #5
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Hmm ... I'd like to see production based turbos but I doubt that will happen ...
I don't think that's going to work. Toyota and Renault are in a totally different price class than Ferrari for example.

I'd like to see all engine regulations being replaced by a maximum amount of fuel available per race.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 12:22 (Ref:2044485)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I personally would like to see V12's back in F1.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 12:51 (Ref:2044516)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
I don't think that's going to work. Toyota and Renault are in a totally different price class than Ferrari for example.
Ferrari use a FIAT unit
Old 19 Oct 2007, 14:05 (Ref:2044571)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting...
Old 19 Oct 2007, 14:07 (Ref:2044572)   #9
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My engine/fuel rules would be as follows:

1) Maximum 850bhp

2) Must use standard pump fuel.

3) Refuelling limited to once per race (one tyre change per race as well)

4) Weight equalisation. e.g. Ferrari has a 150kg engine, BMW 100kg, Honda 50kg. BMW have their car's minimum weight reduced by 50kg, Ferrari 100kg. The idea behind this is to stop everyone using the same engine format.

5) Engines must last 3 races.

6) Apart from 1) to 5) you can do what you like.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 19 Oct 2007, 14:26 (Ref:2044585)   #10
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Well here's mine
  • 2 litre capacity
  • Up to four cylinders
  • Based on engine which has a production use of at least 25,000
  • Any engine from the same parent company may be used (Ferrari using a FIAT unit, a Lexus badged car may use a Toyota unit and so-on)
  • Block from a road car but some moving parts may be replaced.
  • Two modified turbochargers
  • All the above set to have power around the current levels
  • Turbochargers must last the whole weekend.
  • Other engine parts limited more.
  • Pump fuel with an additive
  • Kinda unrelated, but a system which doesn't allow first gear to be engaged when the fuel hose is in.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 15:49 (Ref:2044643)   #11
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Well here's mine
  • 2 litre capacity
  • Up to four cylinders
  • Based on engine which has a production use of at least 25,000
  • Any engine from the same parent company may be used (Ferrari using a FIAT unit, a Lexus badged car may use a Toyota unit and so-on)
  • Block from a road car but some moving parts may be replaced.
  • Two modified turbochargers
  • All the above set to have power around the current levels
  • Turbochargers must last the whole weekend.
  • Other engine parts limited more.
  • Pump fuel with an additive
  • Kinda unrelated, but a system which doesn't allow first gear to be engaged when the fuel hose is in.
This is basically the same as my catch-all IndyCar/Champ Car/Formula 1/Formula A/Open-Wheel Production Championship blueprint, but I also add a second option to keep things interesting:
  • Normally-aspirated engines
  • Up to six cylinders in any configuration
  • Based upon a production block
  • Maximum displacement: 3400 cc
Old 19 Oct 2007, 16:37 (Ref:2044684)   #12
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd love to go back to the mid 90's free-for-all. Perhaps with restricted turbos on a similar level to them. Try and take that sort of competition back to the early 80's when normally aspirated and turbo engines were on an even keel (though that was partly down to turbo unreliability)

I don't like the idea of all this enviro stuff. This is racing FGS
Old 19 Oct 2007, 18:32 (Ref:2044818)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Here's mine:

1.Four Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engines (50cc/one per wheel).

There will no longer be "run-off" areas.They are to be replaced by grass.Extra points will be awarded for most grass cut.

How's that for environmentally friendliness.

Last edited by Marbot; 19 Oct 2007 at 18:37.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 18:54 (Ref:2044841)   #14
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given the manufacturers influence on f1 then surely engine regulations should allow for real world developments, making use of technology that will eventually find its way to our road cars.
This could come in a form similar to Group B rally regs that will ultimately produce some utterly ludicrous homologated road cars or regulate for technology that follows road car trends eg.
- economy; a set amount of fuel allowed for the race (like in MotoGP - will also result in the abandonment of mid race refuelling which i have never enjoyed)
- small capacity turbo engines; as is becoming more prevalent as a way of reducing emissions and fuel consumption
- diesel; perhaps a little controversial for F1
- hybrid technologies; (sorry, i feel disgusting for even mentioning it)
- further weight reduction; lightweight engines (would probably result in use of too many expensive exotic materials though)
- low NOx, CO2, CO, HC emissions targets; otherwise free for all

how many of these could actually work??
Old 19 Oct 2007, 19:06 (Ref:2044850)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I don't understand why all this will be introduced in 2013,when it's already available on road cars today? Sure it can be refined and improved,but I'm not sure that F1 is the place to do that.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 20:19 (Ref:2044896)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I'll say this is one spot of good news - with all these manufacturers wanting engine regulations untli 2013, obviously some forsee a long future in Formula One...
Old 20 Oct 2007, 04:05 (Ref:2045134)   #17
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
Well, I'll say this is one spot of good news - with all these manufacturers wanting engine regulations untli 2013, obviously some forsee a long future in Formula One...
Seems like an arbitrary 5 year period to me. Just because they think they should have these regs for that period doesn't mean that they will be around. Toyota as an example may have signed because the racing team is focused that far ahead. The suits in Japan may make the call to pull the plug and then that would be that.

The reason for all this 'crap' being proposed is simply a matter of public perception and is political in nature. If F1 appears to be attempting to be 'green', it looks good and sounds good on paper. Those who actually watch the cars go round and round and round will probably have a different opinion to those bureaucrats who are sitting in their EU offices (or whatever organisation they are from).
Old 20 Oct 2007, 06:29 (Ref:2045168)   #18
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
Maybe they know they will be out by then so they do not have to do the development work
Old 20 Oct 2007, 09:22 (Ref:2045227)   #19
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
F1 should be for pure race bred engines... leaves the production based stuff to touring cars and second lavel sports prototypes, gt cars etc.
Racing is racing...
Old 20 Oct 2007, 10:44 (Ref:2045278)   #20
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga
F1 should be for pure race bred engines... leaves the production based stuff to touring cars and second lavel sports prototypes, gt cars etc.
Racing is racing...
but if F1 doesnt provide particularly exciting racing or relevant technology development then what purpose does it serve?

F1 is home to some of the best automotive engineers in the world and is it not the case that developing a fast racing engine with some strict boundaries is more of an engineering challenge than a free for all with a big packet of money.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 12:17 (Ref:2045323)   #21
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ferrari use a FIAT unit
So, Ferrari is obligated to use an engine block from another brand? At least the Ferrari-engines for their road cars will be more advanced.