Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 3 Feb 2018, 19:41 (Ref:3798133)   #151
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Should be 8 if they reach entry capacity and they have 9 full-season LMP1 cars (apparently they managed to lift the full-season entry cap to 34).
Yes but I don't quite understand how they managed to make room for theoretical 35 in 2015 yet cannot go past 34 now. Have their logistics planes shrunken?
https://www.fia.com/news/wec-full-grids-2015

That was a better split too...
Old 3 Feb 2018, 19:46 (Ref:3798135)   #152
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Yes but I don't quite understand how they managed to make room for theoretical 35 in 2015 yet cannot go past 34 now. Have their logistics planes shrunken?
https://www.fia.com/news/wec-full-grids-2015

That was a better split too...
Presumably it has to do with garage slots, and there's an additional couple of course cars or equipment which takes a garage space. Remember that they are doing surface shipping now, not aircraft.
Old 3 Feb 2018, 19:53 (Ref:3798143)   #153
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Presumably it has to do with garage slots, and there's an additional couple of course cars or equipment which takes a garage space. Remember that they are doing surface shipping now, not aircraft.
They seemed to have a plan then...

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...eyond-capacity
He also revealed that he was working with GTE teams running multiple cars to run two of their entries out of one pit garage at the two circuits, the Nurburgring and Shanghai, where there were fewer than 35 pit boxes.
Old 4 Feb 2018, 09:47 (Ref:3798379)   #154
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Evidentally not any more.

Anyway, more auto-invites decided then.

AsLMS - LMP2 - JC DC Jota
AsLMS - LMP3 - JC DC Jota (LMP3 winner can choose between LMP2 and GTE-Am)
AsLMS - GT - Team FIST AAI
AsLMS - GT Runner Up - I think this was eventually removed, but it was planned.

AAI have run Corvettes before, and there may be one kicking around for them again. But I suspect they'll just upgrade the Ferrari 488 GT3 to GTE spec and use that.

As far as Jota goes

Jackie Chan DC Racing - LMP2 Class Le Mans Win
Jackie Chan DC Racing X JOTA - LMP2 AsLMS Title
Jackie Chan DC Racing X JOTA - LMP3 AsLMS Title

If the 18/19 entries are different names then they could get the 5 invites. They did legitimately earn them, afterall. The entry in IMSA was "Jackie Chan DCR JOTA".
Old 4 Feb 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3798394)   #155
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Evidentally not any more.

Anyway, more auto-invites decided then.

AsLMS - LMP2 - JC DC Jota
AsLMS - LMP3 - JC DC Jota (LMP3 winner can choose between LMP2 and GTE-Am)
AsLMS - GT - Team FIST AAI
AsLMS - GT Runner Up - I think this was eventually removed, but it was planned.

AAI have run Corvettes before, and there may be one kicking around for them again. But I suspect they'll just upgrade the Ferrari 488 GT3 to GTE spec and use that.

As far as Jota goes

Jackie Chan DC Racing - LMP2 Class Le Mans Win
Jackie Chan DC Racing X JOTA - LMP2 AsLMS Title
Jackie Chan DC Racing X JOTA - LMP3 AsLMS Title

If the 18/19 entries are different names then they could get the 5 invites. They did legitimately earn them, afterall. The entry in IMSA was "Jackie Chan DCR JOTA".
Sportscar365 reporting that FIST-Team AAI received two invites. For 1st and 2nd in class.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/asian...tle-at-sepang/
Old 4 Feb 2018, 11:34 (Ref:3798395)   #156
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I'm yet to see any official word if that 2nd in class gets it or not. I suspect Mr Goodwin mentioned it on the race commentary, and I'm about to sit and watch that now. But Wiki currently has only 1 entry for Team AAI. (not the best resource, I know!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans
Old 4 Feb 2018, 14:08 (Ref:3798419)   #157
Deleted
Veteran

DSC too says two autos for AII GTE-AM. And apparently they're to take them too... just incredibly idiotic to have to a filler class having so much impact, they're bit too desperate.

Hopefully they'd run in cojunction with another team to save grid space

Anyway also says that Jota will only enter those two:

Team sources suggest though that they will not attempt to enter more than two entries in the Great race, the rules effectively capping the number at a pair per racing licence.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...s-settled.html
Old 4 Feb 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3798420)   #158
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
The GTE-Am invites made more sense when AsLMS Actually had a good GT3 grid. But they've all left for Blancpain Asia now (which is actually REALLY good), so it's a bit pointless.

In that case, I'd take a guess (and it's purely a guess) that AAI will enter the Ferrari a Corvette, as they have history with that.

Despite these, I think your list will be more than 75% accurate. However I don't think G-Drive will be looking at Ligiers. There was rumours of that being a Graff tie-in for ELMS and TDS for WEC. So those will probably be Oreca, and maybe only one car. Unless I missed major news...again!
Old 4 Feb 2018, 14:27 (Ref:3798424)   #159
Deleted
Veteran

Yeah but big grids or not it's just bizarre of being able to score two auto invites by running non ACO legal GT3 cars in 4 round championship while teams running actual ACO property LMP cars in bigger other series for full season get rejected

Anyway only few days now...
Old 4 Feb 2018, 14:36 (Ref:3798425)   #160
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Yeah but big grids or not it's just bizarre of being able to score two auto invites by running non ACO legal GT3 cars in 4 round championship while teams running actual ACO property LMP cars in bigger other series for full season get rejected

Anyway only few days now...
It's bizarre if you look at it like that, but it's an attempt to grow the AsLMS grid. Offer big prizes and people will enter. Is the theory. But clearly SRO does a lot better job at attracting cars. So I get why they've done it, I just don't think it's smart.
Old 4 Feb 2018, 15:09 (Ref:3798427)   #161
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In that case, I'd take a guess (and it's purely a guess) that AAI will enter the Ferrari a Corvette, as they have history with that.
I know it won't happen, but I'm secretly hoping that the ACO allows them to enter a BMW M6 GTLM since AAI have more history with BMW than with Ferrari and Corvette.
Old 4 Feb 2018, 16:26 (Ref:3798433)   #162
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
It's bizarre if you look at it like that, but it's an attempt to grow the AsLMS grid. Offer big prizes and people will enter. Is the theory. But clearly SRO does a lot better job at attracting cars. So I get why they've done it, I just don't think it's smart.
Yes I get why they do it, heck it is arguably the best possible prize you can get (far bigger than winning the championship itself) and I'm all in for good prizes (which is why example one of the reasons Petit Le Mans has lost it's most of it's value), but as you say the way it's done here is not smart at all

Back in the day ACO used to award auto entries for series outside their own realm as well, I mean FIA GT granted grand total of four automatic invites for GT1 and GT2, but I think the major difference there was that those were universal categories back then still. The ACO did not "own" GT1 and GT2 and have total control over how they would function (even at Le Mans) like they basically do GTE now. That is also partly why I think the GT concept used to work better then.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 13:01 (Ref:3798670)   #163
Deleted
Veteran

With the conference right at the doorstep, do we really except there to be any more possible additions to LMP1 other than maybe second Manor, which may or may not be Le Mans only?

I mean I know that there haven't exactly been surprises in the top class recently, last I remember was 2012 when you had not only fourth Audi out of nowhere but also Pescarolo fielding in quite shocking turn Dome in addition to their piece of crap 03 + pair of Dyson Lolas which were not really expected to take on their automatic entries (which they ultimately didn't later of course but that's not the point lol)

I guess in 2014 the (also later pulled out) CLM was also kind of a surprise but it didn't come out at the conference, it was leaked couple days earlier and I think ACO teased it with a picture of Kodewa somewhere. So that's why I'd say 2012 was the final year for real surprises.

Now, I believe beyond that second Manor Ginetta the 'best' we could hope for - now that we know that the beancounters have rejected the third TS05 - is another Ginetta run by whoever who would have committed on it on later stage. Maybe that team X they announced ions ago but who didn't come up with the cash in time. I suppose theoretically second CLM too is possible, which has been rumored for years now, but that's a bit far stretched

So I think

Minimum - 9
Moderately Likely - 10
Surprise - 11-?
Old 5 Feb 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3798705)   #164
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I personally predicted 9 LMP1. I think the big questions are all about LMP2 at this point. It's just oversubscribed.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 19:04 (Ref:3798792)   #165
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Manor will most likely get 2 entries - either both in P1 or one in P1 and P2 each.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 19:42 (Ref:3798803)   #166
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Manor will most likely get 2 entries - either both in P1 or one in P1 and P2 each.
I think they'll still apply for two P1 entries, as well as the P2 entry, even if they are unable to commit two P1 cars for the full WEC Super Season.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 19:59 (Ref:3798814)   #167
Deleted
Veteran

DSC has a small side note that says Ford might only field two cars according to some sources (hope that's the case...)

Also that the ELMS entries will be announced already on Thursday

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...-24-hours.html

The fixed start for the Friday conference is 3 PM CET

RLM coverage starts 15 minutes earlier. I'm glad to see the return of their involvement, they ignored the announcements last year which was a huge mistake (IIRC even Hindy admitted it somewhere). The ACO english transcription from the French has always been terrible so RLM is very much needed if one is to follow the conference. Even if/when most of it is filler and like 3 minutes have to do with the actual entry list when they rush through it lol...
Old 5 Feb 2018, 20:45 (Ref:3798821)   #168
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
RLM coverage starts 15 minutes earlier. I'm glad to see the return of their involvement, they ignored the announcements last year which was a huge mistake (IIRC even Hindy admitted it somewhere). The ACO english transcription from the French has always been terrible so RLM is very much needed if one is to follow the conference. Even if/when most of it is filler and like 3 minutes have to do with the actual entry list when they rush through it lol...
Logistically they couldn't really do it last year, they were at Bathurst and the announcement was at something like 3am Australian time (with practice for the 12 Hour starting about 5 hours later).
Old 5 Feb 2018, 22:19 (Ref:3798835)   #169
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Logistically they couldn't really do it last year, they were at Bathurst and the announcement was at something like 3am Australian time (with practice for the 12 Hour starting about 5 hours later).
They had been at Bathurst before when it collided with the Conference (usually held on Thursdays) but they still did until last year, even if it meant waking up at odd hours. Besides nowadays they have plenty of "B-channels" for playing live broadcasts simultaneously, as well as "B-teams" if they'd like to have someone else from the team cover it.

From a service called RADIO LE MANS, I would expect all things Le Mans getting priority over... whatever there is. And yes I do recognize it being a free service and therefore having automatic excuse for me not being able to complain too much, but these are all preferences. And this is a discussion forum

Anyway, I wish I'd remember the place where Hindy said "it might have been a mistake" or something along those lines, but it's lost in the sea.
Old 6 Feb 2018, 16:10 (Ref:3799011)   #170
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
I personally predicted 9 LMP1. I think the big questions are all about LMP2 at this point. It's just oversubscribed.
Random comment but Duqueine Engineering have said they won't seek entry for the 24, so they wouldn't appear even in the reserves unless they've changed minds for some reason.

I think teams like Larbre w/ Nicolet and Panis-Barthez are pretty much given for their connections
Old 8 Feb 2018, 17:44 (Ref:3799635)   #171
Deleted
Veteran

We have quite a list of mixed class/chassis/engine combos within same pit boxes

Manor
1-2x LMP1 Ginetta-Mechacrome
0(*)-1x LMP2 Oreca-Zytek

Dragonspeed

1x LMP1 Dallara-Zytek
0(*)-1x LMP2 Oreca-Zytek

ART-SMP

2x LMP1 Dallara-AER
0-1x LMP2 Dallara-Zytek

Algarve Pro

0-1x(**) LMP2 Oreca-Zytek
0-1x(**) LMP2 Onroak-Zytek

AF Corse

0-1x LMP2 ["BBT"] Onroak-Zytek
2-3x LMGTE-PRO Ferrari
?-?x LMGTE-AM ["?"] Ferrari

* extremely unlikely not to receive entry
** will 99,9% receive at least one so-called "quaranteed" entry but for which chassis

Last edited by Deleted; 8 Feb 2018 at 17:53.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 18:35 (Ref:3799650)   #172
Deleted
Veteran

Some other things

- There will be no garage 56 (to no-one's surprise)
- AF Corse might field third PRO car (ugh)
- This may or may not say something about if there's more than just the single Ginetta https://twitter.com/GinettaCars/stat...71878300274688
Old 8 Feb 2018, 22:22 (Ref:3799708)   #173
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
We have quite a list of mixed class/chassis/engine combos within same pit boxes
[...]

AF Corse

0-1x LMP2 ["BBT"] Onroak-Zytek
2-3x LMGTE-PRO Ferrari
?-?x LMGTE-AM ["?"] Ferrari

* extremely unlikely not to receive entry
** will 99,9% receive at least one so-called "quaranteed" entry but for which chassis
Does AF Corse still run the SMP LMP2s? And if so will they be involved with the LMP1 as well?
Old 8 Feb 2018, 22:31 (Ref:3799712)   #174
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
- This may or may not say something about if there's more than just the single Ginetta https://twitter.com/GinettaCars/stat...71878300274688
Looks like a fairly strong hint at a 2 car WEC entry. Happy days!
Old 9 Feb 2018, 00:45 (Ref:3799735)   #175
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
Does AF Corse still run the SMP LMP2s? And if so will they be involved with the LMP1 as well?
No the LMP1 project will definitely not feature AFC but just ART GP in charge of operations, however I'm not sure if the Dallara LMP2 last year was still assisted by AFC... probably not given that the SMP Ferrari rebranding deal went away. In any case would seem weird if they had two different squads running things in P1 and P2 this year, all of them are probably managed by ART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Looks like a fairly strong hint at a 2 car WEC entry. Happy days!
Yes!

But it also strongly hints at Manor being the only customer, which we of course pretty much knew anyway but guess there was always that half a percent chance still for others. Maybe still like a 0,1% chance?

Last edited by Deleted; 9 Feb 2018 at 00:51.