Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 5 Jun 2004, 18:21 (Ref:994827)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
First GP....

So it finally happened.

This morning I sent off my final payment for my weekend trip to Silverstone....it's official: I'm attending a GP for the first time, sitting at Bridge corner! WOOHOO!

It only took 15 years......

Anyways, all I want to know is there anything essential I need to take? I was thinking of taking a kilt and running onto the track, but Mr Green might be there, so.......

Seriously though, is there anything I should take?

Also, what kind of shops are there? How much is food? Will I run the risk of getting lost if I venture away from my grandstand? Anything else I should know?

So much advice required!

Cheers.
Old 5 Jun 2004, 18:41 (Ref:994842)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's the middle of the Summer, in the UK. Take plenty of wet weather gear.

And I'll see you there .
Old 5 Jun 2004, 18:41 (Ref:994843)   #3
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You'll have a GREAT weekend.
Tons to watch and visit. Big crowd and loads of entertainment, food, drink, partying, just a huge event.
Don't take decent clothes, take something to pick up the Silverstone radio, waterproofs, comfortable footwear camera etc and start training now!
Old 5 Jun 2004, 18:48 (Ref:994845)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Will do Damon!
Old 5 Jun 2004, 18:56 (Ref:994851)   #5
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Earplugs!

While its fantastic to hear them V-10's wale for a couple of laps, it could get downright painful for a full race if your up close.

Wait until you hear those engines sing live, for the first time! Man, its a beautiful thing!

Danica Patrick
Old 5 Jun 2004, 19:01 (Ref:994857)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

That's one of the things I can't wait for......until the traction control kicks in of course!

If only we still had V12's!
Old 5 Jun 2004, 19:23 (Ref:994875)   #7
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Earplugs!

While its fantastic to hear them V-10's wale for a couple of laps, it could get downright painful for a full race if your up close.

Wait until you hear those engines sing live, for the first time! Man, its a beautiful thing!
I second the earplugs thing. You may think you've heard loud racing cars before and you can handle it - but its very uncomfortable.

F1 cars are piercingly loud. At the old Hockenheim, i decided to go sans ear protection, bad idea. Ringing ears all day and headaches.

Last edited by Irv the Swerve; 5 Jun 2004 at 19:24.
Old 5 Jun 2004, 19:26 (Ref:994878)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A mini TV with earphones so you can listen to James Allen commentry....
Old 5 Jun 2004, 19:28 (Ref:994880)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Essential!
Old 5 Jun 2004, 19:35 (Ref:994884)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A sniper rifle to shoot MS on the last lap IF he is leading...
Old 5 Jun 2004, 19:36 (Ref:994886)   #11
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
and if you can take a shot at James Allen as well... please!
Old 5 Jun 2004, 20:24 (Ref:994923)   #12
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Earplugs!

I guess GP is referring to US tracks which are more noisy because of them being ovals. I, for one, am used to the engine sounds and if you are listening to commentary, you should be fine.

Just be sure to have commentary available (i.e. a radio) otherwise one can feel lost.. sometimes
Old 5 Jun 2004, 20:39 (Ref:994937)   #13
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you should be by a big screen aswell by Bridge, although whether you'll be looking at the front or back of it I couldn't tell you!
Old 5 Jun 2004, 20:42 (Ref:994940)   #14
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A telly plugged in to the nearest 750 meeting so you can watch some PROPER racing!
Old 5 Jun 2004, 21:17 (Ref:994976)   #15
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Earplugs!
Earplugs! Didnt need them! love the sound of the cars too much! Remember to take sun screen as i've been very burnt at silverstone and some wet weather gear as i've been very wet there too!!! might need to wait until closer to the race to make up your mind! take a pillow if youve got seating as you can get a numb bum while you wait for the start! Pleanty of money for the brouchure, tshirts, hats, umbrella, jumbers, keyrings etc etc of your fav team!

Have a great time, I'm so jealous i cant wait to be out of student debt so i can go to my next race!!!
elspeth
Old 5 Jun 2004, 21:37 (Ref:994985)   #16
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
have a great time!....you'll be forever changed after your first gp experience....there is nothing quite like it.....ENJOY!...
Old 5 Jun 2004, 21:39 (Ref:994986)   #17
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Earplugs? Who said earplugs.
Never, ever, ever wear earplugs, it's just wrong mkay
Old 5 Jun 2004, 22:07 (Ref:994999)   #18
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
73_Gstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I'll endorse earplugs. If for one simple reason. Hearing loss is permanent. Tinitus is very annoying (constant ringing all day every day). You can still hear the cars. You can still hear the person next to you. You won't have to shout in the pub as you do some bench racing that night.

What reasons do you some of you have for not needing them? I didn't see any valid reasons.

As far as American tracks being only ovals, not hardly. I'll always wear earplugs at Mid-Ohio, Road America, Road Atlanta, or Nelson Ledges. None of those are ovals. Ovals are worse, though, as the sounds do reverb through the complex.
Old 5 Jun 2004, 23:54 (Ref:995054)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well, I've got pretty sensitive hearing so I'll probably need them!
Old 6 Jun 2004, 08:52 (Ref:995180)   #20
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You WILL need earplugs. After about 3 laps, after your head is blown from the inside out.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 09:17 (Ref:995187)   #21
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOOOO!!!! You do NOT need earplugs! Earplugs are evil! You pay that amount of cash because you want your ears bleed! Don't spoil your fun with plugs!
Old 6 Jun 2004, 11:26 (Ref:995255)   #22
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Take a pocket radio with you so you can listen to silverstone radio it keeps you up to date on whats happening on the track. During the race when the leaders are coming up to lap cars and also when the pit stop begin its so easy to get lost and wonder who is leading or what. You are in for a treat and my god wait till you hear those cars. My first GP was silverstone in 93 and its only when your at a race weekend race you discover how big Formula one really is. Enjoy it and take it all in
Old 6 Jun 2004, 11:35 (Ref:995259)   #23
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
NOOOO!!!! You do NOT need earplugs! Earplugs are evil! You pay that amount of cash because you want your ears bleed! Don't spoil your fun with plugs!
I agree you really have to hear these cars.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 11:42 (Ref:995267)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I don't find the cars that loud. OK they aren't quiet but I could easily stand a race without earplugs. I stood at Farm (just before Bridge) for most of the test the other day, and it was fine.

The worst cars for loudness I recall were the 1980's F3000 cars.
I went to several of the Birmingham Superprix's and whether it was the closeness of the cars, or maybe the reverb from the buildings, but I came home and my ears were ringing for a good while after.

Last edited by Sodemo; 6 Jun 2004 at 11:45.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 11:53 (Ref:995274)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Knowlesey. I'm really pleased for you. You'll have the time of your life.

Now you will need a personal stereo with earphones (the type that plug into your ears). Then I suggest you wear a pair of ear defenders. The type you may have to wear at work. Then you can listen to the radio Silverstone commenary and hear the engines.

I wear earplugs when I race may car and the F1 drivers wear them too. Anybody who doesn't is asking for trouble!

I assume you will be camping. If so take a tent! Seriously, you can buy food for a barbecue at the camp shops. Its a bit more expensive than your local Spa but ok. In the circuit you'll find beer and food. A personal fave is the roast pork stand but that is down to the fact that I work in "pork free" locations. I don't recall how much the beer is but take Workington prices and add 150%!

Take loads of dosh to spend on that 2003 grid in 1:20th scale.

Most importantly make sure you talk to your fellow spectators. Its likely they will have been before and can tell you where the parties are going to be held.

Actually most importantly................... HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!