Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 29 Mar 2007, 22:49 (Ref:1879542)   #51
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley

As a marshal, I'm not going to go. Work a normal day, have to get off early to drive 1½ to 2 hours (it's going to take longer with work traffic), concentrate for several hours when already tired and then drive back with work again the next day, ...
Me neither. Especially as "getting off early" may well have to equal "Add time to holiday allocation" or (even worse) have time off deducted from an already meagre wage.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 17:40 (Ref:1881205)   #52
craig j
Rookie

craig j should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with Woolley. There are already plenty of opportunities to go racing for the club competitior, but in my opinion the main issue at the moment is cost.

Adding extra race meetings at £300 does not help to overcome the ever increasing costs of standard meetings. In fact all it may do is take competitors away from the core race meetings.

Now if we could decrease the basic entry fees and then offer cheaper additional 2nd race entry fees, I think you would start to see lots more cars (and as a result spectators) crawling out of the woodwork.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 15:43 (Ref:1882051)   #53
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not easy to see how this is going to work but it will be interesting to see what is going to happen. I have the Donington date in my diary and look forward to it. The "evening" race meetings which we used to have at Donington were fun (but I accept that weekdays are an entirely different proposition).

Give the guys credit for trying something new.

Regards

Jim
Old 10 May 2007, 13:35 (Ref:1910326)   #54
macsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
macsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Powernights updates

Latest news on Powernights here
The short version is:-
  • 3 x 1 hour programmes on MotorsTV
  • Minimum £4,000 competitor prize fund per event
  • Race entry fee set at £250 (testing, qualifying and 2 x race).
  • Further updates shortly
Jeff
Old 11 May 2007, 20:47 (Ref:1911315)   #55
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am keen on this. But what classes are going to be on?
Old 11 May 2007, 22:33 (Ref:1911360)   #56
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are likely to be recognisable formulae, like Caterhams, Mini's, etc..
Old 31 May 2007, 14:53 (Ref:1925467)   #57
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just spotted the additional date of 30 August at Silverstone which was included in macsport's link above but I hadn't seen in original press release.

Press release originally said website would go live in spring but website now says it is going live on 6th June, next Wednesday, so will have to wait and see if new information then.
Old 31 May 2007, 15:11 (Ref:1925473)   #58
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Just spotted the additional date of 30 August at Silverstone which was included in macsport's link above but I hadn't seen in original press release.

Press release originally said website would go live in spring but website now says it is going live on 6th June, next Wednesday, so will have to wait and see if new information then.
Technically that's still Spring so they are delivering on their promises.

I thought I heard that the second Silverstone date was in doubt?

Regards

Jim
Old 31 May 2007, 15:22 (Ref:1925480)   #59
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
June is not Spring in my book! Is it the twenty something of June which is summer?

I didn't know anything about a second Silverstone date full stop - it's just listed on the bottom of the Powernights website.
Old 31 May 2007, 16:05 (Ref:1925504)   #60
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was reported in the mags when it was announced.

Spring runs from about March 20/1 to June 21/2
Old 31 May 2007, 16:05 (Ref:1925506)   #61
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
June is not Spring in my book! Is it the twenty something of June which is summer?
Yep, 21st June is mid summer's day & technically 1st May is the first day of Summer...
??Why has BBC got 'Springwatch' on now??
Old 31 May 2007, 16:17 (Ref:1925512)   #62
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1400
Yep, 21st June is mid summer's day & technically 1st May is the first day of Summer...
So on your basis 1st August is Autumn and 1st November is Winter??
Old 31 May 2007, 16:44 (Ref:1925524)   #63
phansa88
Racer

England
gravesend
phansa88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the 25th of December is April fools day
Old 31 May 2007, 16:45 (Ref:1925525)   #64
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
So on your basis 1st August is Autumn and 1st November is Winter??
Completely OT!!!
From wikipedia:
'While February 1 was the first day of Spring, May 1 was the first day of summer; hence, the summer solstice on June 25 (now June 21) was "midsummer."'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_Day
Old 31 May 2007, 17:11 (Ref:1925534)   #65
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Seasonal dates

Lies, dammed lies and Wikipedia.

The Royal Observatory (UK authority, both academically and in some areas of legislation) says:

Quote:
These times can be determined very accurately and, as they occur near the times when the seasons are changing, have been used to indicate the start of each season. Thus Spring is deemed to start at the Vernal Equinox (near March 21), Summer at the Summer Solstice (near June 21), Autumn at the Autumn Equinox (near September 21) and Winter at the Winter Solstice (near December 21). In the southern hemisphere the cycle is displaced by half a year.

. . .

An additional complication exists in England where one of the Quarter Days, when rents were due, is called Midsummer Day and occurs on June 24.
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.340

So Midsummer Day is the Summer Solstice and is not the "middle day" of Summer. OK?

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 31 May 2007 at 17:14.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 09:04 (Ref:1926031)   #66
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
The Royal Observatory (UK authority, both academically and in some areas of legislation) says:
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Until the Met Office randomly decide to change the dates without any legal authority (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4767522.stm)

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 2 Jun 2007, 20:24 (Ref:1927069)   #67
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
Has anyone seen the thread about Powernights? I'm sure i left it here somewhere...
Old 2 Jun 2007, 22:46 (Ref:1927146)   #68
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
That's one of the great things about marshalling - if you ever need a smart a**e, there are always lots around.

Regards

Jim
Old 3 Jun 2007, 08:54 (Ref:1927317)   #69
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
Old 4 Jun 2007, 21:55 (Ref:1928846)   #70
macsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
More POWERnights info.

More information on POWERnights here.
This is aimed more at drivers and teams wishing to take part but it does give relevant info to anyone wanting to know more.
Website will be up and running on Wednesday (late spring )
Jeff
Old 4 Jun 2007, 22:17 (Ref:1928864)   #71
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK

Sounds like fun to me and I look forward to Donington with great hopes.

Regards

Jim
Old 8 Jun 2007, 08:31 (Ref:1932009)   #72
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got a flier at Donington at the weekend. Seems a poor decision to exclude the largest Caterham race series from the Caterham races. And not to reply to emails from series co-ordinators...
Old 8 Jun 2007, 14:24 (Ref:1932335)   #73
macsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme
Got a flier at Donington at the weekend. Seems a poor decision to exclude the largest Caterham race series from the Caterham races. And not to reply to emails from series co-ordinators...
Graeme

I saw your post and was a little concerned. I have asked some questions here and now have some answers for you.

I can assure you that all emails from Magnus Laird and Nick Frost have been replied to in quick time as POWERnights is keen to have as many Caterham racers as possible at the events. If the email you are referring to is not from them please send me an email (jeff@motion-works.co.uk) and I will investigate further but I can assure you that we respond to all enquiries in good order.

In answer to your other query - it was at the request of the championship that we do NOT include the Caterham Academy in the POWERnights events (at their request - not a PN or BRSCC decision). All other Caterham categories are very welcome to take part in the POWERnights events.

I hope this answers your concerns and if you have any further questions you can post them here or you can email me at the above address or call me on 01327 856024.

Jeff

Jeff Carter
Press & PR Manager
Motion Works UK Limited
Old 8 Jun 2007, 14:35 (Ref:1932347)   #74
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Jeff - I dropped an email to the "info" address a few months ago but heard nothing back (I'm the secretary of Caterham Graduates Racing Club). Then the literature at Doners at the weekend was for "Superlights and Roadsports" - no mention of Graduates. I agree its probably not the right arena for the Academy.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 19:12 (Ref:1932563)   #75
macsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
Graeme

I've just sent you a PM. I'll mak esure you get some Powernights information, we certainly would like Caterham Graduate entries

Jeff