Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 30 Aug 2002, 12:21 (Ref:369033)   #26
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly, I think the marshalling is as good as any other club meeting and I've never felt anymore threatened whilst on the bank at Goodwood.. And there are safety implications.. mainly for the drivers I suppose.. but you take it or leave it.

The weekend is repetitive.. but there are subtle changes every year and it still works for me.. More than can be said for the Brit GP..

If you like the racing in the BTCC, then you're bound to enjoy the weekend.. ever race is packed full of action.. Sideways Lotus Cortinas, chevys, minis, jags.. or Astras, 406's and Protons???

Stephen, Hope to see you there
Old 30 Aug 2002, 12:23 (Ref:369035)   #27
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Me too Dan! I'll know when I ring Karen on Monday
Old 30 Aug 2002, 15:05 (Ref:369186)   #28
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Well I was considering it, as I say, but it is never going to be top of my list as I know little about the cars so I'm going to Brands Hatch instead. The thought of the Super Coupe Cup, Formula Saloons and 2CVs sound like much more fun to me. I understand you have different views amd that is fine - just don't expect to see me at Goodwood until I have nothing better to do!

One thing I don't like the sound of - and I am commenting purely on what I have been told as I've not been myself - is that you have to dress up in fancy dress else you are looked down on like some sort of thug. Doesn't sound all that welcoming to me...?
Old 30 Aug 2002, 18:00 (Ref:369319)   #29
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some sort of thug? Not the reasoning at all, Craig. There are many thousands of punters who come to Goodwood in regular contemporary clothes and enjoy the racing and the atmosphere.

The reason for the dresscode in the paddock (paddock only, note) is that Lord March is trying to create a timewarp for the visitors and the photographers. He hires actors and actresses to mingle with the crowds and enact little fifties vignettes. It sounds corny, but it is actually rather charming. It could be suggested that he's doing the Goodwood Club members a favour by inviting them to join in the fun rather than just watch the spectacle.

The Goodwood paddock is by far the most restricted for on the calendar, and so entry has to be limited for practicality's sake. This is why entry is only offered to GRRC members and their guests. Anyone else is invited to lean on the picket fences and look in on the spectacle, separated by very little from the main show. And you are pretty much guaranteed that anywhere you look, you'll see little that is out of keeping with the period feel of the setting. No bags or brollies with logos are permitted. Jacket and tie is required for the gentlemen, skirts or smart suits for the ladies. This only applies, as I say, to those who have paddock passes and wish to use them.

So if you object to wearing a tie, you are still more than welcome at Goodwood. You just won't get into the paddock enclosure. However, there are many of us, myself included, who regard a bit of tweed, a tie (Bentley club colours, natch) and a trilby hat as a small price to pay for being right up close to the cars, and being able to see everyone from Sir Stirling to Sir Jack to Rowan Atkinson to Jochen Mass preparing for their races at first hand.

I love it. And I wouldn't miss it for anything.

Oh, and one thing about the period dress. The publicity material recommends Brylcreem. I just want to say that there is nothing that will convince me that Brylcreem was universally used in 1959, nor that the few remaining hairs on my barnet need it going anywhere near them....
Old 30 Aug 2002, 22:31 (Ref:369525)   #30
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
The attraction is that I've no interest ? Nice.
Sorry Craig, no slur on you was intended.
I was mearly trying to indicate that Charlie March is unlikely to move from his pre 1966 position, and that is the attraction of the event.
I understand it is not everyone's cup of tea, and respect all those who want to go else where.

Think-post, not post think
Old 31 Aug 2002, 09:17 (Ref:369704)   #31
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Friel
Firstly, I think the marshalling is as good as any other club meeting and I've never felt anymore threatened whilst on the bank at Goodwood.. And there are safety implications.. mainly for the drivers I suppose.. but you take it or leave it.
Dan,

As someone who actually started marshalling in the mid-sixties, I love historic meetings (for a number of years I have been HSCC Chief Marshal for their meetings at Brands Hatch; I have also been a senior official for AMOC at Brands).

My concerns about Goodwood are as follows:

(a) On most of the points I have marshalled, the flag points are remote from the main post. Apart from not encouraging team spirit and working practices, it makes communications between Observers and flag marshals difficult if not impossible.

(b) For much of the inside of the circuit there are no marshals posts at all (and no fire points). This means pull-offs and, more importantly, accidents require track crossing on a regular basis.

(c) The construction of the banks, with tyres in front, make it very difficult for marshals to get down, and then back up, quickly and easily. OK, I am 55, but the younger folk have just as much trouble as I do! I have witnessed a number of people falling down, both trying to get down trackside, and back up to safety again.

(d) The preferred marshals dress code is OTT, and unsafe. I have been involved in some major incidents at Goodwood (the airborne Ferrari and driver being one). Standing in petrol in cavalry twill trousers and a country jacket or blue blazer dealing with a major incident............no thanks. Marshalling safety and professionalism have come on a lot since the sixties, and I will not be forced out of my orange probans. Each year that I have done the meeting, we have been told that those on high profile posts will be issued with loose fitting white proban overalls in 50's style, otherwise you are 'encouraged' to dress in keeping with the meeting. Although IMHO these are not as good as the orange probans I am happy to compromise and wear white. BUT, only on one occasion have I been able to actually obtain any. Could not the organisers issue a set to every marshal doing the event?

(e) On the Sunday of the first event I witnessed a major track incident dealt with by sending the rescue vehicle through the spectator area. Needless to say it took longer than sending it around the circuit. There was no reason for this other than so as not to ruin the period setting by having a modern vehicle on the circuit.

Last edited by Peter Scillitoe; 31 Aug 2002 at 09:23.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 11:11 (Ref:369753)   #32
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Hey chill Mr Gypsy, I knew exactly what you meant!

Tim, that's not what Lord March Says, "Wd do , however, have a ban on baseball caps, trainers, anoraks, and T-Shirts." Now I can understand the banning of anoraks (!) but what are the others, if not contemporary clothing ?

Sorry, don't go in for fancy dress, so don't think I'll bother thanks

Some of the points Peter brings up are quite worrying though - not just a matter of personal taste - as they involve the safety of the marshals, the drivers and, potentially, the paying public. These should be addressed.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 16:25 (Ref:369989)   #33
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would like to go to this, but two things always put me off, the cost and the dress code.
I just hope that next year the Festival doesn't clash with a BTCC meeting because I really want to go back to that again.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 19:44 (Ref:370071)   #34
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter,

I guess its down to personal choice.. but i've never found it different from marshalling at Combe or Cadwell.. and I've never had anyone suggest that I shouldn't be wearing my orange probans.. point e on your list is totally unacceptable and hopefully will never be allowed to happen again.

I'm sure Trevor / BARC would be interested in your comments, as in my experience the Goodwood people have provided excellent facilities for marshals. But perhaps there is room for improvement..
Old 2 Sep 2002, 14:09 (Ref:371274)   #35
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Uh-oh. Just seen the weather forecast. Could be 1999 all over again.

Hope Grant Williams is ready with the old Jaguar, if that's the case.

Craig, can you point me to the source of your Lord March quote about clothing? I'm not wanting to labour the point, but I did a marathon watching of all four review videos over the weekend to get me in the Goodwood mood, and in every one I saw spectators and officials in anoraks and baseball caps - marshals in orange probans much in evidence too, so I really am convinced that His Lordship was talking about the paddock requirements, not general admission.

If you can put me straight on this, I'd be grateful, as I will have been labouring under a misapprehension otherwise. Not that it'll change any of my preparations. The tweed is pressed, and the Bentley Club tie is sparkling and ready to go.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 14:53 (Ref:371306)   #36
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Saturday's Daily Mirror, Tim. It iis apparently a direct quote from the man himself. The full quote was as follows:

"The Revival is theatre," said Lord March. "The circuit is dressed up likea huge film set with everyone dressed up to the nines in fantastic 50s creations. We would like to ban mobile phones but, sad though it is, that is not really practical."

"We do, however, have a ban on baseball caps, trainers, anoraks, and T-Shirts, and you msut wear a jacket and tie in the racing paddock itself. That is how it was in the old days and that is how it is at the Revival."

As I say, fine, not a problem. It is the same at other sporting events - but I'd not bother with those either!
Old 2 Sep 2002, 15:35 (Ref:371340)   #37
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I am not going into the above arguments surfice to say that safety should NEVER be compromised, and The Racing is the best, forget any thoughts of pompousness, which really isnt there except for the Paddock. You really should go just once, if you then dont like then criticise.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 06:56 (Ref:371836)   #38
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Great news, I spoke to BARC yesterday and there is a place available for me at the weekend. I hope his Lordship doesn't mind my red trainers too much? Having said that, if the weather is as bad as many predict, then it's the DM's instead *sulks*
Old 3 Sep 2002, 09:59 (Ref:371962)   #39
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
I'm being told that Friday may be the worst, and that the clag will blow over leaving the rest of the weekend relatively nice.

So Stephen - I'm to look for a marshal with red trainers, right?
Old 3 Sep 2002, 10:04 (Ref:371966)   #40
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had a look at the long range forecast, Friday is going to be wet & windy, Sat should be brighter, sunday windy and showers.
so now you know, weather forecasts are never wrong
Old 3 Sep 2002, 11:01 (Ref:372012)   #41
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Yes Tim, the red trainers will be in evidence assuming it's dry. Look forward to seeing you at last...
Old 4 Sep 2002, 21:35 (Ref:373322)   #42
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Craig, in that quote what you quote, 'Is Lordship is talking about the paddock. Anyway, is it really that bad to spruce yerself up a bit once in a while? This is the only time of year you can guarantee to see me in a tie!
Old 4 Sep 2002, 22:33 (Ref:373367)   #43
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Craig, it is up to you.

If you want to miss a weekend of close racing, huge V8's being betered by nimble Loti. Cortina's on 3 maybe 2 wheels, Yank Tanks at full chat chasing them. Astons, Ferrari's. Masarati's, Jags, Fords, etc in true power slides. The Bikers on twin 500's or multi 4's.

I have been to every one without dressing up. It is worth it just to see the living legends driving. Was it last year Surtees's aged 70+ led the sportscar race in a Ferarri?

Simon
Old 5 Sep 2002, 10:15 (Ref:373625)   #44
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
I think the touring car race this year is for cars earlier than 1960, so no Cortinas, or Mustangs.
Sorry
Old 5 Sep 2002, 10:41 (Ref:373650)   #45
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
I think the touring car race this year is for cars earlier than 1960, so no Cortinas, or Mustangs.
Sorry
Touring car race this year is for 50's saloons.
Off hand, this includes - Moss, Atkinson, Win Percy, Mike Salmon, Desiree Wilson, Gerry Marshall in Jag Mk 7's and Mk 1's, Johnny Herbert & Emanuelle Pirro in DKW's, Barrie Williams in a Minor, Anthony Reid and David leslie in MG Magnettes, Jason Plato in a Peugeot 203, Rosemary Smith and John Rhodes in Rapiers, John Fitzpatrick and Frank Sytner in Rileys, Gabrielle Tarquini and Giovanni Gallo in Giuliettas, several others I've forgotten about for the moment things like a BMW 502 V8, oh, and my dad and Tony Lanfranchi in a 100E (smiley even tho he's nicked my usual seat..)

So I don't think the loss of Cortinas for one year (It'll be back to the sixties next year) is too great! I'm off there this afternoon - scrutineering and signing on is today
Old 5 Sep 2002, 11:00 (Ref:373665)   #46
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
So I don't think the loss of Cortinas for one year (It'll be back to the sixties next year) is too great! I'm off there this afternoon - scrutineering and signing on is today [/B][/QUOTE]

Is there public access this afternoon?
Old 5 Sep 2002, 11:13 (Ref:373673)   #47
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
So I don't think the loss of Cortinas for one year (It'll be back to the sixties next year) is too great! I'm off there this afternoon - scrutineering and signing on is today
Is there public access this afternoon? [/B][/QUOTE]

Afraid I don't know. I guess you could try calling them, but I doubt it.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 18:52 (Ref:374789)   #48
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Just to let you know what you might be missing.. within the saloon car race, a selection of the drivers..

Tarquini
Jardine
McCarthy
Oliver
Moss
Herbert
Pirro
Dron
Percy
Marshall
Bell
Needell
Hoy
Reid
Leslie
Plato
Sytner
Rhodes
Old 8 Sep 2002, 18:18 (Ref:375854)   #49
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote - and my dad and Tony Lanfranchi in a 100E (smiley even tho he's nicked my usual seat..)

Congratulations on a fine 5th place overall, could have been 4th given another couple of laps I think.

Simon
Old 9 Sep 2002, 07:06 (Ref:376113)   #50
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
What a great weekend, the weather stayed fine, the cars were brilliant and the atmosphere just something else!

I ended up on post 3 and had the pleasure of chatting to Rohan Atkinson after his Jag expired there.

Will I be going back again next year??? YOU BET!!!