Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Jan 2020, 23:23 (Ref:3950297)   #376
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2019 VFacts data shows an 8% decrease in Australian vehicle sales for the year, a changing model landscape, and a huge 29% drop for Holden in particular:

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...losers-122319/

Hatchbacks, SUV's & dual-cab utes are where it's currently at; sedans are well and truly on the outer.

Interesting to see RAM being a winner, and a smart transition decision for HSV's operations.

How ironic would it be if HSV were to outdo and outlast Holden?
Old 9 Jan 2020, 07:34 (Ref:3950557)   #377
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Interesting to see RAM being a winner, and a smart transition decision for HSV's operations
Whatever you can say about his Supercars team, you can't argue with his business acumen, what he has done with HSV is absolutely remarkable, given the supply chain that existed to support the car manufacturers, he saw an opportunity and went for it, and the video featuring the factory on Enforcer and the Dude was a real eye opener for me.

Not only has he kept all the jobs inside and at suppliers, it looks to be going well enough that he will create more.
Old 10 Jan 2020, 14:11 (Ref:3950844)   #378
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Whatever you can say about his Supercars team, you can't argue with his business acumen, what he has done with HSV is absolutely remarkable, given the supply chain that existed to support the car manufacturers, he saw an opportunity and went for it, and the video featuring the factory on Enforcer and the Dude was a real eye opener for me.

Not only has he kept all the jobs inside and at suppliers, it looks to be going well enough that he will create more.
I know of Camaros and Dodge Rams which a dealer can't sell for love nor money but that is in line with car sales in general so he will suffer as the rest of the industry is suffering.
Old 11 Jan 2020, 19:42 (Ref:3951056)   #379
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ram is still in honeymoon phase IMO
Old 11 Jan 2020, 21:52 (Ref:3951081)   #380
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ram will do okay until the next GFC, fuel price spike and, banks get a bit touchy about what they are lending money for!
Old 12 Jan 2020, 16:49 (Ref:3951229)   #381
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Australians I think are starting to develop a taste for American sized trucks, so I suspect the Ram business will be sustainable for some time to come.
Old 12 Jan 2020, 23:29 (Ref:3951280)   #382
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Australians I think are starting to develop a taste for American sized trucks, so I suspect the Ram business will be sustainable for some time to come.
I don't know about a taste for that size of truck, it seems to me that it is more to do with there being no "ute" sized offerings on the market.

That said, I live in a regional area, and there are more Dodge utes than Mitsubishi Tritons.
Old 12 Jan 2020, 23:56 (Ref:3951284)   #383
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
I don't know about a taste for that size of truck, it seems to me that it is more to do with there being no "ute" sized offerings on the market.

That said, I live in a regional area, and there are more Dodge utes than Mitsubishi Tritons.
Distaste is probably a better word. Round here over sized utes/SUVs outnumber actual cars about 2:1. No idea why. They are awful to drive, expensive to run, unsafe and from an environmental perspective, an
abomination.

In comparison if you go to NZ you will see the absolute opposite. Far more cars than large SUV/utes etc. Why - maybe because their car rego is $200 and their petrol is $2.20 per litre.
Old 14 Jan 2020, 23:19 (Ref:3951652)   #384
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
Distaste is probably a better word. Round here over sized utes/SUVs outnumber actual cars about 2:1. No idea why. They are awful to drive, expensive to run, unsafe and from an environmental perspective, an
abomination.

In comparison if you go to NZ you will see the absolute opposite. Far more cars than large SUV/utes etc. Why - maybe because their car rego is $200 and their petrol is $2.20 per litre.
I agree with you totally, although in the UK the picture isn't quite as bleak!
Old 15 Jan 2020, 17:01 (Ref:3951800)   #385
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
abomination.

Really, then what ANCAP rating is the Ford Ranger and has been for a few year?
Old 15 Jan 2020, 20:13 (Ref:3951838)   #386
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Really, then what ANCAP rating is the Ford Ranger and has been for a few year?

Ancap only come into play if the vehicle crashes into a solid object - “safety” encompasses a lot of things, including grip, handling, responsiveness & the like, so-called active safety.

The original point about dual cabs in general being unsafe in comparison to cars is realistic.

Shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone.
Old 15 Jan 2020, 22:02 (Ref:3951851)   #387
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
The original point about dual cabs in general being unsafe in comparison to cars is realistic.
Yep - the primary safety feature of a vehicle should be its ability not to crash in the first place, not how well it crashes.

People driving to work or kids to school in a dual cab is stupid, and the trend only started because of a ludicrous tax break that should never have existed.