Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Jul 2021, 02:06 (Ref:4061520)   #501
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Calm down everyone.

They call a halt to the racing because there is a risk to people. That’s it. It’s relatively common over here for sporting (and non sporting) events to be stopped in such conditions. It is annoying if you are watching, but hey ho. It’s a cautious approach, but it is one that is needed as there is a real risk. The worst case is a loss of life at the expense of a little inconvenience for us.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 09:39 (Ref:4061559)   #502
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It happens and there's not a lot we can do about it. Ah well. It is a precaution after all. Hopefully it gets sorted out. It's annoying, but understandable.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 10:59 (Ref:4061587)   #503
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Well, I'm glad lightning only happens in the US, because we wouldn't see a mildly wet race ever again.

Of course, this wouldn't quite so annoying if races weren't already interrupted by regular 40 minute breaks for every class to hold a pitstop competition with some bumping and barging on the way it and out and cars narrowly avoiding each other while sliding by mechanics (clearly, safety's the priority!), under the pretence of sending a 4-ton truck to pick up a candy wrapper in the run-off area. As far as I'm concerned, while that is happening, anyone preaching about IMSA's commitment to safety is full of it. Same goes for IndyCar by the way, with 6 cautions over 1 (one!) incident out of track at the 500.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 12:58 (Ref:4061606)   #504
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is no need to be sarcastic over that stoppage. And I should know about sarcasm It was entirely sensible.

The other examples do not justify running a race in conditions that could endanger competitors and spectators. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

But I can see why someone’s initial reaction while watching on telly could be frustration that the race is stopped.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 13:09 (Ref:4061608)   #505
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
We're all currently in danger of being hit by a meteorite. It's just not very probable. As is a lightning strike without a thunderstorm anywhere near the racetrack. But it's not impossible. All I'm saying is that one would expect some sort of consistency in risk assessment, instead of being paranoid and utterly careless all at the same time.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 13:18 (Ref:4061610)   #506
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Those probabilities are not the same! As demonstrated by the recent deaths. These weren’t from meteorite.

FWIW I made the same decision to abandon an outside activity when I started to hear thunder yesterday. Lasted ages too and we never got the refreshing shower that goes with it and then in the evening place we went to wouldn’t serve outside. I’ve never come inside because I might get hit by a meteorite. Although I have gone outside to watch a meteor shower.

So the problem is with the other stuff. The only problem with the stopping of the race in that example, is the mild inconvenience to us watching on telly. Which must have been disappointing if watching live, so I can understand why there could be an overreaction at the time.

I agree there is an inconsistency in how these things are viewed, by everyone.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 13:57 (Ref:4061628)   #507
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Saddest thing is that Jaminet in the Porsche was running down the #4 Corvette in particular. I don't think Tandy has a grasp on the Corvette just yet. Maybe in Le Mans he will. And I think Tommy Milner is overratted. Taylor and Garcia are flat out better drivers than he is. Although I still think the #3 in GTLM and #23 in GTD would still have won minus a spin by one of those drivers in the last hour which never happened.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 17:48 (Ref:4061824)   #508
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
We're all currently in danger of being hit by a meteorite. It's just not very probable. As is a lightning strike without a thunderstorm anywhere near the racetrack. But it's not impossible. All I'm saying is that one would expect some sort of consistency in risk assessment, instead of being paranoid and utterly careless all at the same time.
I would recommend you actually go look at the radar and the actual weather at the track. It poured around the garbage NBC sports coverage. There wasn't a fake storm but actually close to 100 ground strikes of lightning within 5 miles of the track.

And, and IMSA stopped the clock to resume if possible. Blamw the local rules for something NBC should have considered early on. There is a HARD 6pm off track rule, nothing is allowed after 6 on the track for any reason. That's a local government rule that had been in place for years.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 18:20 (Ref:4061859)   #509
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Lots of false information being perpetrated by you Pandamasque, you disappoint me and a lot of other people here.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 18:51 (Ref:4061877)   #510
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I'll just say this: lightning can strike up to 10 miles, maybe more, from the parent thunderstorm.

If outdoor sports don't take possible lightning threats seriously and someone gets injured or dies, insurers and lawyers would have a field day. How many people get struck by lightning at golf course every year?

And as far as Lime Rock goes, if you want to blame anyone, blame the owners of church across the road. That's why the 6 PM curfew and no racing on Sundays. And the Church does have the local gov't on their side on those issues.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 18:55 (Ref:4061878)   #511
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
If you are expecting the principles of risk assessment to be applied, then I suggest a look at what ALARP means.

What mitigation do you propose to bring the risk of meteor strike ALARP?
And what mitigation would you propose to bring the risk of lightning strike ALARP, when there are multiple strikes occurring in the area?
Old 18 Jul 2021, 19:04 (Ref:4061887)   #512
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And lightning isn't something you want to screw with. As mentioned, there's the obvious liability issues. Also, it's often not one person who dies or gets injured, but multiple injuries or sometimes, multiple fatalities.

And to take Lime Rock for an example. There's trees around the track. And if you're near a tree, chances of a strike resulting in injury or death increases. And with a crowd of people, chances for multiple casualties also goes up.

And do we want to put Lime Rock under a big dome? Could solve the lightning and noise issues, but would rob us of seeing a rain race should it be safe to do so. Just a part of being in the NE US in July. Much of the rest of the year they deal with rain and cold, and by winter, snow.

Schedulers take a gamble on the weather and decide where the odds are most in their favor. And we can't control the weather.
Old 18 Jul 2021, 21:06 (Ref:4061919)   #513
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If you are expecting the principles of risk assessment to be applied, then I suggest a look at what ALARP means.

What mitigation do you propose to bring the risk of meteor strike ALARP?
And what mitigation would you propose to bring the risk of lightning strike ALARP, when there are multiple strikes occurring in the area?
Depends on what you define as "the area". The general rule of thumb is, when you look up and the sky is blue, lightning is improbable. After all, teams don't pit for wets if it's raining upstate!

You're being disingenuous. Two races in succession were red flagged under intermittent sunny weather. At the Glen they were still on slicks, for crying out loud! There was no thunderstorm in sight. And again, all that does is leaves fans stuck out there in a what supposedly is a high lighting risk area for longer.

And then why is ALARP going out of the window when IMSA feels like orchestrating chaos in the pitlane at EVERY EVENT throwing FCYs over nothing and insisting on procedures to be the way they are?

Interestingly pretty much everywhere else in the racing world the above does not happen. And neither do red flags over "reasonable" fears of lightning on a sunny day, if at all!
Old 18 Jul 2021, 22:18 (Ref:4061939)   #514
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I think the thing to keep in mind is that imsa is not defining their risk management tactics. Insurance and other organizations are. Oh you want us to cover your series? Here's what you need to do in case of xyz event.

The people calling the weekend know how to call a good weekend. Unfortunately they're held to a few standards beyond automotive competition management.

I think the best response to a north American weather red flag (or their fcy incident response) should be, "ah that's a shame, let's see what happens next."

Anything more and you're barking up the wrong tree/preaching to the choir

Last edited by seanyb505; 18 Jul 2021 at 22:23. Reason: Edit
Old 19 Jul 2021, 08:34 (Ref:4062012)   #515
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
IMSA probably had no choice in the matter. They might have got into trouble if they let it continue. Better safe than sorry in this case.

These things happen, at least we got enough of a race out of it, so it's not so bad. Great show as ever.
Old 21 Jul 2021, 14:15 (Ref:4062535)   #516
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/l...-pro-gtd-regs/

Very interesting article here about GTD next year. Mr. Wilson has some good points. I have to agree with him here.
Old 29 Jul 2021, 17:35 (Ref:4063807)   #517
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well damn, looks like Dawson made it one round, not on Road America list but 2 new teams are. Moving up from IPC to Weathertech, JR III and Wulver in LMP3.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/n...america-entry/

Also included in S365 article:

"While Dawson Racing, which committed to a full-season effort is currently not listed, Ligier JS P320 Nissan entries from JR III and Wulver are set for their respective WeatherTech Championship debuts.

It comes amid the rumored demise of the IMSA Prototype Challenge series at the end of the year."

Removing the feeder LMP3 would indicate it's in the big show to stay and another great idea from management
Old 29 Jul 2021, 18:02 (Ref:4063816)   #518
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Well damn, looks like Dawson made it one round, not on Road America list but 2 new teams are. Moving up from IPC to Weathertech, JR III and Wulver in LMP3.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/n...america-entry/

Also included in S365 article:

"While Dawson Racing, which committed to a full-season effort is currently not listed, Ligier JS P320 Nissan entries from JR III and Wulver are set for their respective WeatherTech Championship debuts.

It comes amid the rumored demise of the IMSA Prototype Challenge series at the end of the year."

Removing the feeder LMP3 would indicate it's in the big show to stay and another great idea from management
I caught that note too, and I'm a bit surprised the lmp3 series would get so soon. If that were to be lost the imsa support races would be pretty slim.
Old 29 Jul 2021, 20:31 (Ref:4063849)   #519
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Well currently IMSA runs

Michelin Pilot Challenge
Michelin Prototype Challenge
Porsche Carrera Cup
Lamborghini Super Trofeo NA
Ferrari Challenge by Pirelli
MX-5 Cup by BFG

Lots of tires in there, just the Italians not running Michelin products. And 5 to choose from, although Ferrari Challenge doesn't run with IMSA events, often full schedule with XX program and F1 Corsa Cliente. And late season Lamborghini runs the world championship in Italy at Misano so they're usually done in NA in August/Sept.

It would allow IMSA to use even more condensed weekends only having to run 2 or 3 series, they could probably unload Friday for support, Sat for Weathertech and only Weathertech would be left on Sunday. It's not great for those of us that like a long race weekend but better short event than no eventv long term.
Old 31 Jul 2021, 19:49 (Ref:4064287)   #520
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
I miss the open wheel support series like USF2000 and Star/Pro Mazda from back in the day. I like variety and that goes for the support acts as well. It would be cool to see a couple of F4 sprint races on Thursday pm and Friday am for instance.

Same can be said for Indycar, no closed wheel series on their roster either (so basically the situation with IMSA is reversed).
Old 2 Aug 2021, 13:04 (Ref:4064875)   #521
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I miss the open wheel support series like USF2000 and Star/Pro Mazda from back in the day. I like variety and that goes for the support acts as well. It would be cool to see a couple of F4 sprint races on Thursday pm and Friday am for instance.

Same can be said for Indycar, no closed wheel series on their roster either (so basically the situation with IMSA is reversed).
100%

Star Mazda and the like generally put on decent shows and added some variety to the weekends.
Old 3 Aug 2021, 15:43 (Ref:4065141)   #522
S griffin
Veteran

Agreed. Star Mazda is always good and worth it
Old 6 Aug 2021, 20:48 (Ref:4065677)   #523
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The race at Road America this weekend will be great, but opening day of practice has some weather in the area and lightning delays are in place.
Old 6 Aug 2021, 21:43 (Ref:4065686)   #524
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
My dad is staying in the tent at the track and said it is now hailing and extremely windy
Old 6 Aug 2021, 23:32 (Ref:4065694)   #525
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
That should be fine, hail, lighting and tent are great together. Guessing he's chosen the car for a moment or 10.