Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 Sep 2011, 12:16 (Ref:2957995)   #76
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
why officially complain to a pc or cm when its probably already been done, and itll make me look a t**t...
I agree. Why go through official channels & run the risk of your concerns being heard by the people who are in a position to do something about them when you can whinge on an internet forum, hiding behind a pseudonym.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2958056)   #77
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
I agree. Why go through official channels & run the risk of your concerns being heard by the people who are in a position to do something about them when you can whinge on an internet forum, hiding behind a pseudonym.
got it in one...!
thats what most people do on here.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 14:57 (Ref:2958073)   #78
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Methinks the irony in Dave's post might have been lost there, matey. Just because "that's what most people do" doesn't make it the right thing to do, nor does it make it effective.

The only time whinging on here really does have an effect is when Chris Hobson pops along to see what we're all chuntering about, and the usual effect is that he tells us all to stop whinging!
Old 19 Sep 2011, 15:52 (Ref:2958097)   #79
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
why officially complain to a pc or cm when its probably already been done, and itll make me look a t**t....
If you complain to me (if, say I was your post chief), can I just say that complaints don't work well with me.
Any observations you may wish to make about any shortcomings of the circuit regards safety or your welfare better be well founded. I also appreciate if having noticed a deficency, you can suggest a remedy or workround.
If the problem has been noted before, I'd take the time to explain to you why it still exists (as Greem has done in this thread)

There are many things that you can do to make others have a dim view of you, complaining being just one of them.
Bringing up a relevant problem will NEVER make you look a total arse.

PS how do you officially complain to a post chief?
Old 19 Sep 2011, 16:13 (Ref:2958107)   #80
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Methinks the irony in Dave's post might have been lost there, matey. Just because "that's what most people do" doesn't make it the right thing to do, nor does it make it effective.

The only time whinging on here really does have an effect is when Chris Hobson pops along to see what we're all chuntering about, and the usual effect is that he tells us all to stop whinging!
well thanks for the heads up on it greem but trust me i understood his post totally, i knew exactly the tone anyway, i had to delete some sarcy comments myself. just couldnt be arsed to get into a slagging match or debate with mr brand. ive been coming on this forum for about 4 years and have only just felt the need to sign up. as a guest ive read the full details before, ill leave work for that type of stuff not him or any others... we're all supposed to enjoy it on here, arent we...

for dave's and any future other's info who may have misconstrued my comment, im not whinging just stating the obvious. if you read my comments again (i know i wouldnt!) i know how id like a place to be run if it was assesed on its facilities... fortunately for donington its quite on the ball, thats obviously as we all know one of the reasons why i like, many keep going back, that and its a bloody good track. id defy anyone though to walk past a half knocked down structure for the first time and not to make a passing mental judgement or comment by the untidiness of it. thats what i did myself, i dont know its probably because i put right peoples' diy/cowboy mistakes for a job, but surely they all know what i mean.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2958122)   #81
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
If you complain to me (if, say I was your post chief), can I just say that complaints don't work well with me.
Any observations you may wish to make about any shortcomings of the circuit regards safety or your welfare better be well founded. I also appreciate if having noticed a deficency, you can suggest a remedy or workround.
If the problem has been noted before, I'd take the time to explain to you why it still exists (as Greem has done in this thread)

There are many things that you can do to make others have a dim view of you, complaining being just one of them.
Bringing up a relevant problem will NEVER make you look a total arse.

PS how do you officially complain to a post chief?
ok thanks for that i guess, i like you dont know how to complain to a post chief! ive never complain officially in my life, i know everyone on here is friendly with each other but sounds to me like i may not be allowed my own opinions? as i think that is a relevant problem because after all this is a moaning thread? how's that work...

i know the comments are well meaning though, i appreciate all comments on this thread and forum. im just not going to make the same mistakes as i did when i first started work a good few years ago, the most helpful person the world's ever seen, just to have it kicked back in my face, i tried to please the majority by mincing my words and not being true to myself with my opinions, not speaking up when someone thought i messed up just to not upset the balance as everyone was indeed friendly with each other and if one person kicked up a stink they all joined in. this is not directed at anyone, i really can say what i like as everyone else can... people can state their moans on here regardless, everyone has the same rights on here except the mods, there's no post chiefs on the top of the pile as in ten tenths is there? grades arent applicable on here as to authority over someone else, if not it's thread closed surely isnt it?
ive given no good reason for people to have a dim view of me, long may that stay... i really cannot understand where some of these comments are coming from, from the my comments on this thread. who are your comments directed, to me, are they directed to everyone else who "complained". none of my comments are directed in a bad way, just happily typing my comments like everyone else

ps ill definately be able to come up with a remedy to a problem... thats my job
Old 19 Sep 2011, 17:40 (Ref:2958151)   #82
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
New yankee...something with your vast experience of reading here will show you that time and again the sarcasm etc doesn't come across well in the written word and so people don't often take the way you mean it to be taken. Be careful with the way you write things and if you mean it in a jokey way a couple of smilies can show that etc. I don't think the posters were getting at you in any way, but offering advice.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 09:39 (Ref:2958400)   #83
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza View Post
New yankee...something with your vast experience of reading here will show you that time and again the sarcasm etc doesn't come across well in the written word and so people don't often take the way you mean it to be taken. Be careful with the way you write things and if you mean it in a jokey way a couple of smilies can show that etc. I don't think the posters were getting at you in any way, but offering advice.
good advice taken... thanks
Old 20 Sep 2011, 12:26 (Ref:2958476)   #84
SuperDuff
Racer

United Kingdom
Devon
SuperDuff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
I also appreciate if having noticed a deficency, you can suggest a remedy or workround.
The good old bring me solutions, not problems Somethings are easily overlooked if you don't actually 'work' in the place.

Seriously though - why is this thread so much longer than the happy one? Anyone looking at it would get the impression that marshalling was done under duress. That is my moan.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2959022)   #85
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
good advice taken... thanks
Oh dear..............just opened some Popcorn
Old 21 Sep 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2959025)   #86
juliet
Rookie

England
Daventry
juliet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My moan is why it is so flipping difficult to find a pair of steel toe cap boots (not shoes) in womens sizes??

Apparently we are only allowed to take part in suitable past times, and if you can find someone that does womens sizes i can only ever find shoes and not boots, grrrr
Old 21 Sep 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2959050)   #87
SuperDuff
Racer

United Kingdom
Devon
SuperDuff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you tried Mountain Horse? I know it is really for equestrian wear, but they do a paddock boot steel toe cap in ladies sizes. They are very comfy (I had a pair for riding a couple of years back). Only thing is that they are a bit expensive. - http://www.robinsonsequestrian.co.uk...ls.asp?ID=1749

Last edited by SuperDuff; 21 Sep 2011 at 12:30. Reason: added link
Old 21 Sep 2011, 13:05 (Ref:2959062)   #88
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliet View Post
My moan is why it is so flipping difficult to find a pair of steel toe cap boots (not shoes) in womens sizes??

Apparently we are only allowed to take part in suitable past times, and if you can find someone that does womens sizes i can only ever find shoes and not boots, grrrr
Try Hi-Tec boots - marshals used to get a 30% discount as well, although I can't find the link anymore, so maybe it's finished. But the boots are worth the money
Old 22 Sep 2011, 11:53 (Ref:2959519)   #89
sunny.traveller
Racer

sunny.traveller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliet View Post

I went to a local workwear shop in Watford and got size 3-and-a-half safety boots - I still need insoles & lots of socks though as they are rather wide for my feet.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 10:48 (Ref:2968575)   #90
juliet
Rookie

England
Daventry
juliet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Ford night race anyone?

I have a massive moan about the sunday at silverstone this weekend (F3s and GTs)

I had an amazing time on post and as per usual really enjoyed myself but it seems to me that on the sunday the program was over optimistic as to what they could squeeze into a days racing.
I'm sure we have all seen this at some meeting or another and in the summer months if the day over runs a little apart from being annoying it doesnt cause too much of a problem.

but yesterday we were running about 30mins behind after some light rain during the morning session. last group of cars out on track were the formula fords, they didnt start until after 6pm by which point it was definatly dusk.
The fords dont have any forward facing lights on, they were not forced to put their rear red light on and about half the pack were running with tinted visors.

By half way through the race the light was so poor we could hardly read the numbers, how those boys stayed on track is beyond me!

I know it was a difficult situation with championships being decided etc, but surely safety has to be put above everything in calls like this.
I was very glad nothing went off at our corner during that race as i am not convinced even in bright orange the other drivers would see that we are track side or see the yellows clearly.

I know the guys that deal with the schedule must have loads of different calls to make and there are probably many different factors with deciding to run this race in the near dark but as a marshal i didnt feel safe and i know the others at my post were equally as worried for the safety of the guys on track. I cant help but think that something should have been done about the schedule earlier in the day, shorten a few of the races etc. lessons also need to be learnt, you cant have cars with no forward facing lights racing in the dark!
Old 10 Oct 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2968624)   #91
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*cough* TV Schedules
Old 10 Oct 2011, 12:30 (Ref:2968658)   #92
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Giving the greatest amount of track time to a series with 9 cars - reduced to 6 for the second race - ½ hour practice +2 x 40minutes+1lap is really not a great piece of scheduling. Even more unfortunate that it should be on a day when there were a large number of taster day marshals having their first go. I don't car if someone is paying a bundle for track time if they can't turn out a reasonable grid then pleeeease amalagamate, shorten or uninvite them.

On a plus point, the company on post was so good that we largely ignored the last race, other than watching out for anything that might be dangerous to us, and had a really lovely chat.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 21:57 (Ref:2968931)   #93
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
This subject has been covered on previous threads so can we please let this one get back on topic.
Old 11 Oct 2011, 07:00 (Ref:2969071)   #94
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green View Post
This subject has been covered on previous threads so can we please let this one get back on topic.
If someone cannot have a moan on a 'moaning' thread then it looks like we're all doomed!
Old 11 Oct 2011, 07:02 (Ref:2969073)   #95
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
That is not what I am saying, just that this particular subject has been covered before
Old 11 Oct 2011, 08:25 (Ref:2969118)   #96
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green View Post
That is not what I am saying, just that this particular subject has been covered before
Can't find a moan in this thread that hasn't been aired before on others?
Old 11 Oct 2011, 13:48 (Ref:2969311)   #97
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound View Post
Yes it has..but...There is no one at whom the book stops..
buck

Last edited by NewYankee01; 11 Oct 2011 at 13:58.
Old 11 Oct 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2969315)   #98
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by exflagman View Post
If someone cannot have a moan on a 'moaning' thread then it looks like we're all doomed!
i second that... my "moaning" within 5 posts from other users developed into complaining then whinging, into whining, unless that was a typo!
with due respect I was a bit lost for words to say the least...
Old 11 Oct 2011, 15:39 (Ref:2969371)   #99
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When I first saw this thread, I did wonder where it might end up because if there is one beastie on this earth good at "moaning", it is the Marshal species.

Ten-Tenths is such a wonderful forum because it allows all sorts of views - good or bad - but is carefully moderated to avoid anything too "nasty" (I was going to add "controversial" but isn't that part of it?).

I think the idea of having this thread is fantastic simply because it can give some old moaners (of which I can be one now and then) a voice and anybody who is not interested in moans can simply avoid it.

(Now, where do I start moaning about having to be at the hospital at 7am in the morning blah, blah, blah........ - only joking?!)
Old 11 Oct 2011, 21:04 (Ref:2969525)   #100
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To keep this for general off-the-cuff, somewhere to vent the odd frustration thread I've moved the grading scheme discussion into the 'How to judge a marshal's abilities thread.

Shelagh, we wouldn't moderate controversial comments - we wouldn't want you to go back to double figures on your post count.