Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Which layout of EC should be used for Round 13?
The short track is Mickey Mouse. Use the long track for both rounds. 14 26.92%
Mix it up and make it interesting, have a different track for each round. 22 42.31%
I don't care. 16 30.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Mar 2004, 08:43 (Ref:917549)   #1
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
EC short track

I'm told that Round 13 of the V8SCS will be held on the short version of eastern Creek, using the flip flop between turns 4 & 9. I'm told this is being done ion the interest of variety, so two rounds aren't held on excatly the same track. Your thoughts,
Old 24 Mar 2004, 08:54 (Ref:917559)   #2
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raced on the short track once and it was not very interesting at all. But be interesting to see the carnage that the short cut will create
Old 24 Mar 2004, 08:58 (Ref:917566)   #3
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If we can't race somewhere new (Relatively speaking) (Symmond's Plains, hint hint) then its better than 2 of the same track.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 08:59 (Ref:917569)   #4
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was planning to travel down from Brisbane for this meeting, now I'm not sure I'll bother.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 09:59 (Ref:917639)   #5
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted don't care. Oran Park is a better Sydney circuit to hold multiple rounds at and there are long/short circuit options there too.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 24 Mar 2004, 10:29 (Ref:917665)   #6
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Except they don't/won't use the short cct at Oran Park
Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:05 (Ref:917739)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't care. Pluses and minuses all round. Better being a spectator, possibly tighter racing, something different.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:58 (Ref:917810)   #8
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AVESCO only need to hire half the toilets and have half the catering if you only use half the track.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:09 (Ref:917841)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just out of curiosity, how many punters go over the back part of the track anyways??
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:58 (Ref:917942)   #10
Bigguy
Racer

Bigguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
Just out of curiosity, how many punters go over the back part of the track anyways??
Actually quite a few CT. The crowd is pretty well spread around the circuit, and a lot like to watch the cars through Corporate Hill.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 20:26 (Ref:918334)   #11
laser
Racer

laser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Crash Test
Just out of curiosity, how many punters go over the back part of the track anyways?? [/QUOTEProbably just as many that cram in the front straight, but I don't see what AVESCO are playing at. With the Main Event crowd that was there last year, they must want the punters to be 100 deep at the fence down the main straight. I bet they will use the back area as parking as well

I just don't get the mentality - at a round that drew a LOT of people last year, they are halving the available real estate and at the same time they should expect more people this year (surely!!!)
Old 24 Mar 2004, 21:26 (Ref:918378)   #12
RaceTime
Veteran

Illusion - Sandown Park started doing this a number of years ago when crowds started falling.

Instead of allowing crods all the way down the back straight (as they had done for many years) they started shutting this area off bit by bit - the consequence was that the same people wanted to be there, couldn't, and were herded into Dandenong Road Corner - on TV this looked good because instead of one or 2 rows of people, they now have a crowd 7 or 8 deep.

It looked like a large crowd, but was, in reality, just the same number (or even fewer) in a smaller space.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 22:04 (Ref:918423)   #13
lcfp2297
Racer

Australia
lcfp2297 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RT, What I was told some years back (I was one of the people they herded, several times, from the back-straight the first year they stopped using it) was that Sandown Park's insurance policy didn't cover the back straight before the 'hump'...(and there was one year that they had foreign horses in that area in 'quarantine', preparing for the Melbourne Cup!)

FWIU Sandown Park also does not get insurance for Friday's and Saturday's for the Dandenong Road side of the paddock area...The effect is to keep the crowd between the paddock and turn 1...less insurance, less amenities, less staff etc etc

All of this to keep costs down...

Cheers
Leigh
Old 24 Mar 2004, 22:20 (Ref:918447)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

Leigh - I would find the exclusion of Dandenong Road from insurance to be doubtful - especially if it only related to 2 days and not the main race day..

As for the horse - the strip is only, what? 4-5 metres wide and there would be NO horses there during a race meeting (from memory, all internaitonal horses were removed during the Sandown 500's because they were 'affected' by the noise..
Old 24 Mar 2004, 22:51 (Ref:918488)   #15
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hwhw so if Bathurst doesnt come to fruition due to vairous shenanegans caused by the pit complex debarcle, will we see the Eastern Cressk 1000 this year? :P
Old 24 Mar 2004, 22:54 (Ref:918490)   #16
RaceTime
Veteran

Maybe nothing to do with Bathurst - but 3AW's Rumour File at 7am this morning had someone ring in to claim that Lindsay Fox has done a deal with Bernie Ecclestone to have the F1 GP moved from Albert Park to Phillip Island from 2007 - supposedly giving the Island all 3 International GP's - F1, Moto and SuperBike.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 23:03 (Ref:918501)   #17
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all

Can any of the tracks over there (eg Eastern Creek) be run in reverse direction safely? Manfeild here in NZ can be run in either direction - and apparently the setup for the cars is completely different, so is that a possibility instead of a shorter track?
Old 24 Mar 2004, 23:05 (Ref:918502)   #18
lcfp2297
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
Leigh - I would find the exclusion of Dandenong Road from insurance to be doubtful - especially if it only related to 2 days and not the main race day..

As for the horse - the strip is only, what? 4-5 metres wide and there would be NO horses there during a race meeting (from memory, all internaitonal horses were removed during the Sandown 500's because they were 'affected' by the noise..
Only going on what we were told...by the security bloke herding us out, and by race-control when we wandered over to have a 'friendly' chat as to why we couldn't be there...

I know of at least one year where they did not move the horses until just before the actual 500 started (like 20-30 minutes)...

Back to EC Main Event...will they allow spectators right up to the shortened track, or will spectators be expected to stand around the long tracks perimeter?

It would make more sense to use the short track for the meeting with the smaller attendance...

Cheers
Old 24 Mar 2004, 23:08 (Ref:918505)   #19
lcfp2297
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Tracy
Can any of the tracks over there (eg Eastern Creek) be run in reverse direction safely?
Probably not EC...considering the fatal accident a few years ago when the main straight was used in reverse...
Old 24 Mar 2004, 23:12 (Ref:918510)   #20
RaceTime
Veteran

Tracey - the only Australian track that is licensed to run in either direction is Bargallo in WA. Majority of other tracks have guard rail which prevents them from running in reverse direction (QLD Raceway would possibly be the only one without guard rail).
Old 25 Mar 2004, 00:38 (Ref:918597)   #21
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
You'd still have problems with a lack of run off and walls at odd angles at QR if you went the wrong way.

Morgan Park might be a chance, as there is plenty of run off in all directions, some walls might be a bit close, but if you were desperate to go the other way it might work. Going the wrong way, turn one might be a bit dodgy, insert a gravel trap and it could be ok. The flip flop would be interesting, but no real drama. T-junction ok, Siberia ok, gumtrees should be ok. Bridge, probably just as dodgy as it currently is, the last two turns reasonably ok... hrrmmm...

Lakeside originally ran in the opposite direction, and there was wrong way racing on Oran Park going the opposite way for a while.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 01:10 (Ref:918608)   #22
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably something that should be looked at for any new tracks or renovations of old tracks.

I'll try some of them on the X-Box

Last edited by Gaz170; 25 Mar 2004 at 01:11.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 01:23 (Ref:918619)   #23
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I for the short track like the nascars ran on....I have never been to Eastern Creek for a meeting but I like what I see on TV.

Preference would be to move it to PI....or sprint round @ Sandown
Old 25 Mar 2004, 01:47 (Ref:918634)   #24
RaceTime
Veteran

When did Oran Park run the wrong way? It has guard rail down the main straight and that would immediately prevent clockwise racing.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 01:55 (Ref:918642)   #25
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by lcfp2297
Probably not EC...considering the fatal accident a few years ago when the main straight was used in reverse...
That accident actually occurred in the normal racing direction, I dont know how that event would stop the reverse of the track direction. There may well be other reasons for the track not being able to be used in reverse. This was mooted a few years ago, odviously never happened though.