Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Mar 2011, 22:02 (Ref:2852142)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cheese Speedcafe Relaunch

Interesting to see that Speedcafe has relaunched themselves as a .com as well as a .com.au, with a new front page design

Also curious to read that BAM had to buy the .com web URL from what seems for all intents & purposes a cybersquatter...

I wonder if they realise than not everyone using Speedcafe from work environments can see the YouTube clips that they put up? Vimeo seems to work fine however a separately hosted digital video solution would likely help maintain the integrity of the package...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Mar 2011, 02:08 (Ref:2852233)   #2
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They put some great content up - but unfortunately the site still looks like it's been built by somebody with zero knowledge of UX and design. The front page is still an eyesore.

And an auto-load Murray Walker video on the home page - not a good idea.

Thank god for the content though.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 02:15 (Ref:2852235)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No question about (most?) of the content.. but the delivery mechanism is still a work in progress (or should be)

Its isnt quite Autosport.com just yet
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Mar 2011, 03:46 (Ref:2852251)   #4
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are certainly on a par with Autosport with the speed of downloading a page.

I used to think Autosport was a slow website until SpeedCafe came along.

I always have to wait 10 to 20 seconds for a page to download on SpeedCafe if it's got new content on it. And it locks up the web browser, if not the whole computer.

Or is it just me?

However, I should be grateful as a website like this was long overdue in Australia.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 03:57 (Ref:2852254)   #5
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not just you, Chris. I thought it was my aged monster, but the new shizzle-puter locks up, the quad-core shizzle desktop locks up, my mate's computer locks up, other people I know have the same issue.

It's weird. They're a fair way from being able to charge for the content yet.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 04:04 (Ref:2852255)   #6
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they keep that auto pop up happening I will be looking elsewhere...
I have looked past the slow loading in the past because they have good content but if we have to endure pop ups...GGrrr
Old 25 Mar 2011, 03:08 (Ref:2852864)   #7
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like they've updated it already, the vid no longer pops up for me
Old 25 Mar 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2853024)   #8
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank goodness for Speedcafe - news without too much extortion
Old 19 Dec 2011, 21:42 (Ref:3002004)   #9
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rather than start a new thread for something this minor I thought I'd simply add to this one.

Speedcafe had a technical glitch overnight which resulted in several old daily updates being sent out on e-mail.

I scored five of them around 11:30pm last night.

The following was posted on the Speedcafe Facebook page around midnight.

Quote:
speedcafe.com.au
Apologies for the old newsletters coming through, It should be sorted now, let us know if any more come through! -SC
Old 19 Dec 2011, 21:47 (Ref:3002010)   #10
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i only got 2, they must have more love for you PVDA
Old 21 Dec 2011, 10:25 (Ref:3002599)   #11
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
They are certainly on a par with Autosport with the speed of downloading a page.

I used to think Autosport was a slow website until SpeedCafe came along.

I always have to wait 10 to 20 seconds for a page to download on SpeedCafe if it's got new content on it. And it locks up the web browser, if not the whole computer.

Or is it just me?
Just you..... I have a 56k Modem here you can have for free.... it'll be a huge upgrade from the 28.8kbps modem you have now... PM me with an address, will send right away!!!
Old 21 Dec 2011, 21:54 (Ref:3002925)   #12
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually Chris' comment is still valid.

The Speedcafe front page takes at least 10 seconds to load no matter where or which computer I open it with and the laptop at work is connected to a 100M LAN system.

It could be that where ever Speedcafe lives is not quite quick enough uploading the page info out or perhaps 3rd party adverts are a bit slow loading??

All I know is it gets annoying at times looking at the top part of the page and not being able to scroll down to start reading the rest of it.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 15:53 (Ref:3003237)   #13
b195
Rookie

b195 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The pages I generally have had trouble with are ones with their race guides embedded at the bottom - they almost always freeze my browser, which then (eventually) unfreezes when the embedded guide crashes Flash (which otherwise happens pretty rarely).

(I'm assuming cable broadband and a quad-core CPU meets minimum standards btw :-P)
Old 22 Dec 2011, 23:49 (Ref:3003407)   #14
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b195 View Post
The pages I generally have had trouble with are ones with their race guides embedded at the bottom - they almost always freeze my browser, which then (eventually) unfreezes when the embedded guide crashes Flash (which otherwise happens pretty rarely).

(I'm assuming cable broadband and a quad-core CPU meets minimum standards btw :-P)
yep i experience this same problem, very frustrating.

the main page is a little slow but not that bad, had slower.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 00:05 (Ref:3003410)   #15
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just ran a quick test on the Speedcafe home page, it's slow because there is almost 2mb of data to download, and 159 actions to perform to load it. Compare that to this very thread, which has 137 requests and just over 400kb.

Simply speaking, the slowness is caused by the entire homepage for Speedcafe being covered in nice shiny images
Old 23 Dec 2011, 02:16 (Ref:3003431)   #16
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Just ran a quick test on the Speedcafe home page, it's slow because there is almost 2mb of data to download, and 159 actions to perform to load it. Compare that to this very thread, which has 137 requests and just over 400kb.

Simply speaking, the slowness is caused by the entire homepage for Speedcafe being covered in nice shiny images

If anyone from Speedcafe is reading this, I happen to know someone that could help sort this out..........(and it's not me, don't know much about this internet thing)
Old 23 Dec 2011, 04:36 (Ref:3003444)   #17
NinnyMan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
NinnyMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole website needs a re-design. It's too cluttered.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 06:10 (Ref:3003453)   #18
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post

It is horrible to try and open a link on my mobile phone........waiting.....waiting.....

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 25 Dec 2011, 01:57 (Ref:3004079)   #19
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
It is horrible to try and open a link on my mobile phone........waiting.....waiting.....
Its bad enough on my laptop that Ive never tried opening it on my mobile and I wouldnt even think of attempting such a thing. I think speedcafe need to be taught the 'less is more' principle.
Old 25 Dec 2011, 11:46 (Ref:3004129)   #20
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
loads fast enough for me at home or via 3g wireless on my laptop...
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:25 (Ref:3004766)   #21
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Works fine for me. Although I live a few houses from the exchange so i have superfast internet, and quite an expensive setup (hex core cpu etc)

Havn't bothered to try on my phone, I have Failstra, so i can barely make calls, let alone surf the net
Old 28 Dec 2011, 13:50 (Ref:3004805)   #22
Morris Dancer
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Morris Dancer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No delay here. I'm on on cable, but my creaky Acer EL1850 PC only has a Pentium E5400 that isn't super-quick.

The lead stories on quite a few news category homepages are well out of date - http://www.speedcafe.com/news/general/; http://www.speedcafe.com/news/speedway/; http://www.speedcafe.com/news/nascar/; http://www.speedcafe.com/news/drags/; http://www.speedcafe.com/news/rally/; http://www.speedcafe.com/news/international/; http://www.speedcafe.com/news/indycar/; http://www.speedcafe.com/news/karting/; http://www.speedcafe.com/news/bikes/

Last edited by Morris Dancer; 28 Dec 2011 at 14:16.