Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Oct 2020, 13:27 (Ref:4007998)   #176
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Needs more experience methinks
Requiring more 'experience' covers a whole multitude of facets with this guy.
Old 2 Oct 2020, 20:11 (Ref:4008101)   #177
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In fairness to Mazepin, his current F2 campaign has been decent so far. Same amount of points as Schwartzmann, and a win or two.

Full disclosure, I've not watched any F2 races this year, so only going off the points table.
Old 2 Oct 2020, 21:09 (Ref:4008118)   #178
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
In fairness to Mazepin, his current F2 campaign has been decent so far. Same amount of points as Schwartzmann, and a win or two.

Full disclosure, I've not watched any F2 races this year, so only going off the points table.
I think the problem is a bit with his character and attitude, if I can believe the reports I have read.

Think: Ferrucci, Ticktum
Old 5 Oct 2020, 12:25 (Ref:4008670)   #179
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I think the problem is a bit with his character and attitude, if I can believe the reports I have read.

Think: Ferrucci, Ticktum
Santino has cleaned his act up big time if what the Indycar lot say is to be believed. There maybe hope for him yet!

Dan Ticktum. Just don't know what to make of him. Clearly a quick driver but a bit of a drama queen perhaps?

Back on topic, M Schu junior seemed to be popping along nicely at Fiorano last week! We await with anticipation how he (and Ilott) do this weekend in FP.
Old 5 Oct 2020, 15:30 (Ref:4008700)   #180
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Santiano still has a habit of getting involved in silly incidents if what I hear about his incident with RHR at Indy on Friday is anything to go by. The main problem though I think a lot of people had is a) he never apologised to Maini and b) the American media make it sound like he was hard done by the Europeans, which is rubbish

Ticktum OTOH seems to be getting too much flak for his outbursts on the radio from fans and the media due to his reputation, despite the fact he has learned from his self imposed ban and has kept his nose clean on track pretty much since
Old 5 Oct 2020, 21:52 (Ref:4008754)   #181
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Ticktum OTOH seems to be getting too much flak for his outbursts on the radio from fans and the media due to his reputation, despite the fact he has learned from his self imposed ban and has kept his nose clean on track pretty much since
IIRC there was nothing self-imposed about his ban. It was MSA-imposed.

Also IIRC he spent the year testing at Pembrey in a plain helmet.
Old 5 Oct 2020, 23:29 (Ref:4008767)   #182
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ok then, self inflicted ban
Old 12 Oct 2020, 01:30 (Ref:4010037)   #183
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do you think Chase Elliott could cut it in F1?
Old 12 Oct 2020, 07:23 (Ref:4010068)   #184
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
Who?!? 🤔
Old 12 Oct 2020, 08:28 (Ref:4010079)   #185
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

I doubt we will ever know.The teams have often got a production line of talented drivers or sons of very wealthy men,sometimes both,badgering them for a test.They often get a chance to do a few laps and it might or might not involve the transfer of funds.It also helps to weigh less than 160 lbs.
Old 12 Oct 2020, 08:47 (Ref:4010083)   #186
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As this thread is called "Silly Season", is there anything sillier than Racing Point's 2021 plans? Checo raced really well at the Nurburgring, some good dicing, made his tyres last (as he always does) and oh-so-nearly got on the podium. The Hulk was drafted in for qualifying with zero practice running or preparation. Then climbs from 20th to 8th during the race. So yes, Vettel and Stroll are the silliest choice for 2021.
Old 12 Oct 2020, 08:50 (Ref:4010084)   #187
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 12 Oct 2020, 11:39 (Ref:4010123)   #188
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
No.

Richard
Old 12 Oct 2020, 11:50 (Ref:4010127)   #189
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have never heard of Chase Elliot, whoever he might be. So my initial thought would be No (he would not cut it in F1).
Old 12 Oct 2020, 17:10 (Ref:4010184)   #190
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I have never heard of Chase Elliot, whoever he might be. So my initial thought would be No (he would not cut it in F1).
He's a race winner in the NASCAR Cup Series.
He's also young enough, at 24, to be realisitcally able to 're-train' into single seaters, should he have the inclination.
Whether that'd mean he'd be good enough for F1 is doubtful, but without seeing him do a couple of years of IndyCar or F2, I suppose we'll just have to doubt without fully knowing for sure.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 00:07 (Ref:4010255)   #191
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Rossi's had his time, but Herta if he finds the right car could do well. We'll see how much he wants to do it
Rossi's had his time? What did he get, two or three races in the worst car on the grid? By that measure, russell has had his time, he can go off to indycar now.

Here's a silly thought for silly season: red bull is a top team. They have what is essentially an open seat. They could get some attention and marketing run by pulling a newgarden, dixon, herta, or any of a few others from indycar for their second seat. That solves the problem of having to choose between competing in indycar or going to ack marker in f1 for the guys that deserve a shot. I think it would be fascinating to see what dixon could do at his age in a top f1 car, and how his personality would get along with max, and if some of his personality could rub off on max.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 08:36 (Ref:4010321)   #192
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Dixon would have made the grade 10 plus years ago he's plenty good enough but not now.
Team won't take the punt on a 40 year old 'rookie', only legendary F1 oldies get that sort of chance.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 09:04 (Ref:4010332)   #193
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I think most of the Indycar star drivers are past the moment where they wanted to go to F1 at all cost.
I'm not sure any of them would want to give up what they have now just for the sake of being in F1.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 11:18 (Ref:4010352)   #194
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I think most of the Indycar star drivers are past the moment where they wanted to go to F1 at all cost.
I'm not sure any of them would want to give up what they have now just for the sake of being in F1.
Is it at all cost to go to a race winning team, though?

In my dream "silly season", mclaren blends their two programs, and rotates drivers between the f1 and indycar teams. So send lando to indycar for a year to give Oward a year in f1. Or they sign a guy like rossi or herta for their second seat in IndyCar and rotate them in and out of f1 as well. That way the indycar driver wouldn't lose their top drive after a year or two of f1 fun.

As for dixon not competing at 40, he's as good as he's ever been right now, and Lewis isn't that far behind age wise, and kimi is still considered a solid option at the same age. I dont know whether he would have success or not or if he would look washed up by comparison, but it sure would be fun to see.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 17:08 (Ref:4010435)   #195
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
He's a race winner in the NASCAR Cup Series.
Well, there you are then! Couldn't be a better qualification for an F1 driver.

Old 13 Oct 2020, 17:10 (Ref:4010437)   #196
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He has never raced in single seaters, so no, no chance
Old 13 Oct 2020, 18:00 (Ref:4010444)   #197
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Well, there you are then! Couldn't be a better qualification for an F1 driver.

No-one's said that's a qualification for F1, and indeed, it isn't one.

However, without seeing him in something like IndyCar or F2 for a couple of years, there's strictly no way of knowing if he'd be anywhere near good enough to be in F1.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 09:11 (Ref:4010555)   #198
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Since Perez was linked to it: in Indycar the 2nd ASPM seat has been taken by Rosenqvist who moves over from Ganassi.
(That's not so say they can't field a 3rd car of course)
Old 14 Oct 2020, 12:21 (Ref:4010607)   #199
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Some bizarre rumours on gp.com suggesting Hulk would be alongside Max at RB; Albon and Tsunoda would be at AT; Gasly would replace Ocon at Enstone; Perez would replace Russell at Grove alongside Latifi.

That would leave Ocon and Russell out of a drive so only some of this makes any sense.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 14:49 (Ref:4010635)   #200
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Some bizarre rumours on gp.com suggesting Hulk would be alongside Max at RB; Albon and Tsunoda would be at AT; Gasly would replace Ocon at Enstone; Perez would replace Russell at Grove alongside Latifi.

That would leave Ocon and Russell out of a drive so only some of this makes any sense.
Seems to make sense for all the drivers mentioned (although for Perez it only makes sense if he's got an angle on Bottas' seat due to then being in the Mercedes 'stable').
Would be unfortunate for Ocon and Russell though, as Ocon is a bit of a warning for Russell about taking even a year out. Ocon's comeback hasn't been all that great.