Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Mar 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1252317)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Coys Historic Relaunch?

Just read a bit of the latest Ding Dong (Top Hat Magazine) and it says that the Donington Classic this year (1/2 May) is a precurser to the "next instalment of the Coys Historic Festival in 2006".

Comments anybody?
Old 15 Mar 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1252327)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't have a comment as such more a whoop of delight: Hurrrah!

Coys was always good. OK we have Goodwood now, but we have Coys. Relaxed, spacious, many clubs were present and some very enjoyable racing.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1252415)   #3
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news. I like how it complements (in time and location) the Gold Cup and Revival. It begins to complete a season of high profile historic events.

My big concern is that I hope the organisers appreciate quite how far Lord March has raised the bar (with both the Festival and Revival). I felt the old Coys was OK, it had all the right ingredients (the mix of cars, the owners' clubs), but didn't quite tie them together properly. It felt like a very big regular meeting, not an event. They need to identify their proposition and position in the market, particularly:
- Establishing their uniqueness (it can't just be an early summer replica of the Revival)
- Their choice of races
- Making more of the owners' clubs (for whom it should be one of the major social meetings of the year)
- Adding features for visitors (stalls, displays, etc.)
- Perhaps establishing a theme for the event (e.g. one year focussing on '70s - F1, Group 6 and saloons).
- Encouraging and assisting people interested in staying for the weekend (so some evening activities).

Don't get me wrong though, the opportunity is huge.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1252543)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In fairness a good bit of the organisation for Goodwood is through the Top Hat organisation so I see it as one more in a series. Goodwood may well be the "elite" but with this, Oulton Park, Chimay and if they'd allow it, Spa, it would be a fantastic portfolio of "Festivals". Of course I'm getting carried away. Been up since 3:30 this morning! (Its 5:50pm here). *yawn*.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 21:12 (Ref:1252855)   #5
JEB
Veteran

JEB has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Remember this is a new 'Coys' at Donington - not the old Silverstone event moved up the road. Like the Rockingham event was a new 'Coys' and not the Silverstone event moved up the road.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1252880)   #6
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds great as long as it does not go down the route that Goodwood has taken. I hope it is more open to the grassroots historic racer. You can still have nice cars at the meeting, but as I have mentioned before, scrutineering must be tough. FIA papers for all cars and only Dunlop L or M section tyres.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 23:48 (Ref:1253010)   #7
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
Sounds great as long as it does not go down the route that Goodwood has taken. I hope it is more open to the grassroots historic racer. You can still have nice cars at the meeting, but as I have mentioned before, scrutineering must be tough. FIA papers for all cars and only Dunlop L or M section tyres.
Why? Given the amount of fakery in cars with FIA papers, does it matter any more?

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 01:58 (Ref:1253047)   #8
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Type
Why? Given the amount of fakery in cars with FIA papers, does it matter any more?
Lets face it, we probably know who the consistent 'fakers' are. I think it is more a case of making sure that the cars are as the homologation papers. If scrutineering was a bit more strict regarding the cars technical basis, surely it can't be a bad thing?

There was a German guy who used to race an Austin Healey 3000 to which was fitted a 5 speed Getrag dog box!! He got through scrutineering at german meetings because he was, apparently, a Count!!
Old 16 Mar 2005, 05:56 (Ref:1253104)   #9
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The old Coys meeting is being replaced by the BRDC meeting at end of July. The last Coys meeting at Rockingham was a disaster.Rember Coys are not what they were either
Old 16 Mar 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1253163)   #10
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here Here John !!!!!!!!!
Old 16 Mar 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1253241)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
be careful where we go with the Coys comments!! JEB is right the new Coys is mostly a sponsored Julius day, which is great and I will be racing for sure but is it going to be the same as the old Coys - which I belive the July BRDC meeting will be, I am really looking forward to that event
Old 16 Mar 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1253249)   #12
JEB
Veteran

To clairify - The July Silverstone event is organised by Silverstone Circuits Limited, with the race management by the HSCC.
The BRDC are advisory - and will run the BRDC 500 race for Pre War cars and a round of their Historic Sportscar Championship only at this event.

The BRDC will be running the BRDC Summer Races at Silverstone on Sunday June 12th.
This will be a nine-race Historic Meeting - full details to be announced in three weeks time.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 10:51 (Ref:1253250)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
will there be a race for 60's sports racers in that event James? I am gutted that I wont be with you this weekend but my engine is hopefully being sorted at the moment
Old 16 Mar 2005, 11:09 (Ref:1253263)   #14
JEB
Veteran

All being well - if I have enough interest.
I plan an interesting mix of races - something for everyone !
Old 18 Mar 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1255238)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
there are some very sceptical people out there . . . . . .

Goodwood is seen as being elite, so what if they have high standards, in many classes they need raising anyway! . . .but anyone can turn up at a test day there and hope to get noticed, we did ,and judging by the presentation of cars (FiA or otherwise) I'd say we're in with a shout, I won't cry if we don't get one but it'd be a treasonable crime to turn it down if we did !
Old 18 Mar 2005, 16:37 (Ref:1255308)   #16
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
>>>There was a German guy who used to race an Austin Healey 3000 to which was fitted a 5 speed Getrag dog box!! He got through scrutineering at german meetings because he was, apparently, a Count!!
===....or because the scrute couldn't ;-)
Old 19 Mar 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1256151)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Looking at the replies it appears some people may be getting a bit defensive.

I believe the point is that "Coys", in whatever incarnation, set the benchmark for Historic Festivals. James' BRDC meeting and the Silverstone Circuits/HSCC meeting are not doing the trackside bit that the festival did. (Do correct me if I'm wrong here).

The point about "Coys" was its attraction for the classic and historic vehicle owner as much as for the track action, and this is where the reincarnated "festival" may fit. A good friend of mine never went to a motor race meeting but having "discovered Coys" he would happily spend the weekend in a tent at Silverstone.

So I'd like to refer back to my previous point and perhaps expand. There are many "events" that from the driver's point of view would make up a good "circus" if you will. The BRDC Summer Races, the Silverstone-HSCC event, The Gold Cup, Spa 6 hours and hopefully the revived "Coys" (Not forgetting Goodwood). But the "Coys" event would be the one to attract the clubs and general Classic/Historic car movement.

Better yet, why not move "Coys" to various circuits around Europe?

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 19 Mar 2005 at 18:14.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1256190)   #18
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, you're right, Peter, and i'll also admit to confusing "new Coys" and "new BRDC". Having said that, there is room in the market (of historic festivals) for both, creating a nice festival season.

However, i think it's important to differentiate between drivers and spectators. Drivers are quite well catered for (especially those that can afford the time and money to catch the ferry). Although we talk of a 'festival season'. I don't think that means the same races at each event - I would be surprised to see the same cars at more than two or three of these larger festival events.

Old Coys appealed to the spectator, particularly the 'nice car' owner, historic and modern. I thought it was a great idea, but not particularly well executed. The owners' clubs could have been a bit better organised (laid out around the site), and encouraged to be a bit more open to ordinary punters, perhaps putting on a bit more of a show and inviting to ordinary punters. A Lord March approach to detail would sort this and create a lovely motoring-themed summer event. Logically, either the BRDC or New Coys could/should take this idea and develop it, as it is a unique, and clearly popular proposition.

The idea of New Coys travelling (even just in the UK) is a very good idea. Unlike GRM or Gold Cup, there are no ties to one location, so why not move it around and access the markets that aren't adequately supported (Croft, Snetterton, etc.)
Old 29 Mar 2005, 08:14 (Ref:1264025)   #19
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff

There was a German guy who used to race an Austin Healey 3000 to which was fitted a 5 speed Getrag dog box!! He got through scrutineering at german meetings because he was, apparently, a Count!!
"apparently, a Count!!" Is that a spelling mistake?

Steve McQueen.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 08:20 (Ref:1264031)   #20
simon drabble
Veteran

I see that the Historic festival at Silverstone is now sponsored by Bonhams so its looking promising that it will be like the old days.....
Old 29 Mar 2005, 08:27 (Ref:1264039)   #21
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great News!

I used to help organise a club tent at the old meetings, The Stutz Club, for interesting prewar sporting americana, I didn't have an international licence in those days.....

I met my lover there in 1992 and we have been living together the last 8 years, so it has fond memories>

The meeting was ruined when they stopped giving us a free marquee and moved all the club tents out of the middle of the circuit to sell the space commercially, it just fell apart.

What they never realised was that many of the scruffy 'gents in the tents' were also the same guys who raced, supported races, marshalled and organised their friends to do the same. My lot took the huff and that was that!

Steve McQueen.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 08:30 (Ref:1264041)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

with the combination of HSCC and BRDC running it hopefully the same mistake will not be made! I am very excited about it and am lucky enough to be competing in it in the Group 4 spoprtscar race