Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 20 Jul 2001, 12:02 (Ref:119613)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GRAN TURISMO 3 A-SPEC: First impressions!

Silly me, I go and buy a Toyota Yaris without seeing I can afford a Beetle straight off! (So yes, I started again...)

Whaddya think people?!?!
Old 20 Jul 2001, 12:33 (Ref:119634)   #2
David McManus
Racer

David McManus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IT'S GREAT!!

I only got home after lunch, so I've only done about 4 arcade mode races, and my honest opinion is, IT ROCKS!

The graphics are superb, the sounds are excellent, the handling is sublime, and it'll last for ages.

I don't see myself opening my PS2's disk drive for a long time...
Old 20 Jul 2001, 13:19 (Ref:119656)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite superb, the graphics really are at another level to anything I have seen before. I went for the Mazda MX-5, very nice for the money but I'm struggling to get a decent amount of cash, the prize money is much lower this time.
Old 20 Jul 2001, 21:20 (Ref:119775)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
I've touched the Arcade mode briefly, just to take the Mini for a spin. The low cash prizes are a little annoying, I've had to sell some of the cars I've won to upgrade my Beetle. I haven't sold the pink Yaris I won though because of it's sheer comedy value... So far I've won the Sunday, Clubman, NA and FF Cups, and have my A and B licences. Of course, I then realised that I can't win those special cars again.. d'uh...

The handling is lovely, the graphics fantastic, but the music does start to grate - whereas GT 1 had a good mix of indie and harder dance stuff, this is just heavy indie nonsense. Why did they use Shark by Ash?!?! It's the worst song on the album!!! AAAAARGH!!!

My favourite race track so far is probably Apricot Hill - does it remind anyone else of the Hungaroring?!?!

Last edited by Minardi fan; 20 Jul 2001 at 21:21.
Old 21 Jul 2001, 12:03 (Ref:119937)   #5
David McManus
Racer

I've done the Sunday Cup, and sold the car, as it was the same as the one I bought first.

I'm struggling on the Clubman cup, though.

I've completed arcade easy, the B, A and R licenses.
Old 21 Jul 2001, 13:23 (Ref:119953)   #6
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Between Mr Postman and Mr Amazon, they managed to get the game here this morning. Al I can say is - wow!

The replays are fantastic - especially with the different camera filters it uses.

I've done B, A and IB so far, and IA looks like a bugger to complete.

The sunday cup was easy in the MX-5 but I want an F1 car or one of the GT1s.

Minardi Fan - I knwo what you mean about the music - its rubbish.

10/10.
Old 21 Jul 2001, 20:21 (Ref:120042)   #7
David McManus
Racer

I've got the IA, It's tough, especially the final test.

The S license looks solid, test S8's a lap of Monaco in a Toyota GT1

I'm currently trying to get all golds in the B license, I've done 1 and 2
Old 21 Jul 2001, 22:00 (Ref:120061)   #8
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
These S licence tests are a swine!! I've just spent over an hour trying to get a bronze pass on the reverse San Fransisco track in the GT-40 (test two). I finally managed it a minute ago. The trouble is just clipping the wall gets you a fail. Although I was starting to get frustrated it was far more satisfying when I did pass than it used to be in the other two so this generally is a good thing. Another thing, I thought Monaco was going to be called somthing else but I discover it is named Monte Carlo? Must have been a very late licence aquisition or somthing.

Having played this game for over 13 hours in the last two days I can safely say this is one of the greatest games I have ever played. The graphics are unbeleiveable, the handling is amazing and the sound is superb as well (I never like having music in racing games as the engines always sound far more musical than the indie trash that usually accompanies these games). I also like the new feature of the qualifying before races although I can't help but think it has been used so as you only rarely get mixed up with an AI whih is beginning to show its age. Aside from this the game is flawless and I would award it 98%, as close to gaming perfection as is currently posible.

PS. If you havn't already do a split screen rally race with a mate, it's great being blinded by the dust of the person in front!!
Old 22 Jul 2001, 00:46 (Ref:120105)   #9
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
My Beetle is now up to 253 bhp - I've won one race in the amateur league races. I'll say one thing - it's bloody tough.

Old 22 Jul 2001, 18:14 (Ref:120239)   #10
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Hurrahh!! I have finally won all of the licences after hours of trying (Monaco is superb by the way ). If anyone manages to do better than bronze on any of the special licence tests then you deserve a medal. I've also just bought a Mistusbishi Evo VI - Tommey Makkinen edition car, much better than the Mazda, I now have a car with some grunt (some 406 hp at the moment). This game rocks...
Old 22 Jul 2001, 21:57 (Ref:120302)   #11
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Is that the rally car? If so, how many races have you done to afford it?!?!
Old 23 Jul 2001, 18:05 (Ref:120637)   #12
David McManus
Racer

I'm still struggling on Clubman Cup - Deep Forest in my Sprinter. I've got a stage 2 turbo, but a new brake kit'll be handy...

I've got the first 4 b-license tests at Gold level, and I'm soon gonna start the S licence
Old 23 Jul 2001, 18:35 (Ref:120658)   #13
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
Is that the rally car? If so, how many races have you done to afford it?!?!
No, its the road going version, it cost 32,000cr ish, just redid some of the races where you win 5k a few times and got it. I've just got a stage two turbo so its up to 468hp!! Just done the second race in the beginner level GT Championship and won both. Anyway, back to the game...
Old 24 Jul 2001, 00:00 (Ref:120808)   #14
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
The problem I have is that the Beetle is an NA car, so it can never get as powerful as the Turbo engines. That said, the 70,000 credit 3rd NA tune up will be most helpful, and it's the only upgrade left to get for my ickle Beetle.

David - Deep Forest is an absolute b*tch on this game. Keep trying, you'll get there eventually. It's important to get a good line after the first tunnel, and also round the final bend (which you need to do flat-out.) Also keep extremely tight on the kerb at turn 1 to block the other cars who will just creep up the inside if you don't. Crack those crucial bits of the circuit and you're away.

I won the Amateur FF Championship today and got myself a nippy Celica, but all the cars in my garage are FF...
Old 24 Jul 2001, 09:07 (Ref:120975)   #15
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Blimey, its good isn't it

Started off with the Yaris, which is ok, and managed to win all of the beginner stuff and a couple of amateur races, and finally saved up enough to buy a Vauxhall VX220, which is a lot of fun

Managed to win the GT World Championship at beginner level last night, and got myslef a nice Evo VI, so I'll use that to try to mop up the remaining beginner level stuff and move on to amateur.

And Dave, have you got slicks for your Sprinter? Makes life a lot easier

Last edited by Marshal; 24 Jul 2001 at 09:07.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 15:25 (Ref:121141)   #16
David McManus
Racer

Thanks guys, managed it last night. YHave now got the FR Cup and am doing the 80s Sports Cup, which my sprinter is allowed in.

Slick tyres you say? Hmmm, that 25,000 I have should help...
Old 25 Jul 2001, 08:18 (Ref:121446)   #17
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Another thing, I thought Monaco was going to be called somthing else but I discover it is named Monte Carlo? Must have been a very late licence aquisition or somthing.

That's strange, as in the game I've got its called Cote d'Azure :confused: Also, I came up against a problem last night that the game seems to hang any time I try to race a car I've won. Anyone else had this problem? It did it when I tried to do my rally licence test too

Last edited by Marshal; 25 Jul 2001 at 08:19.
Old 25 Jul 2001, 10:51 (Ref:121492)   #18
David McManus
Racer

Haven't tried racing any cars I've won yet, but had no problems with the Rally license. Struggling with the S license though!
Old 25 Jul 2001, 17:38 (Ref:121645)   #19
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I agree Dave the S lincences are very tough, how long did it take you to do the second test in the GT40? It took me over an hour and a half .

Marshal, I found out since that it is called Cote d'Azure in the license tests but if you look at the race lists in the proffesional league it is called Monte Carlo :confused: . I don't know!!
Old 25 Jul 2001, 20:34 (Ref:121724)   #20
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
This evening saw me win the Beetle Cup which I was most pleased about, gaining me a spanky silver sports Beetle. Lovely. It seemed the key to winning was adjusting the gearbox as appropriate for the circuit... Silly me. (My god, Minardi fan does car set-ups... SHOCK! ) I've also started faffing about with the suspension etc... for the first time ever. Or rather, for the first time ever with some success.

Marshal, what do you mean by 'hang any time'???

Last edited by Minardi fan; 25 Jul 2001 at 20:35.
Old 25 Jul 2001, 21:41 (Ref:121784)   #21
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Just won the European cup in Amature!! Monaco is great fun. Going to have a go at the Amature MR league tomorrow (already won the beginner one).

Everyone buy a Lostus Elise 190, they are superb, handling just like a go kart, this is GT3 at its best.
Old 26 Jul 2001, 08:14 (Ref:121955)   #22
Marshal
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
This evening saw me win the Beetle Cup which I was most pleased about, gaining me a spanky silver sports Beetle. Lovely. It seemed the key to winning was adjusting the gearbox as appropriate for the circuit... Silly me. (My god, Minardi fan does car set-ups... SHOCK! ) I've also started faffing about with the suspension etc... for the first time ever. Or rather, for the first time ever with some success.

Marshal, what do you mean by 'hang any time'???
What was happening was if I tried to race a car I'd won, the screen would go blank with the white cursor flashing in the top left corner, and just stay like that for.... well the longest I left it was 15 mins. So I swapped the game yesterday, and the problem has gone away.

And Damon, the reason I recommended the VX 220 was because it is basically an Elise, but costs slightly less

Just started the S-Licence tests and it took me about 10 goes to get the first one, this could take a while.
Old 26 Jul 2001, 17:50 (Ref:122173)   #23
David McManus
Racer

I haven't got any of the S tests done yet, but I just boutght a nice Lancer Evo
Old 26 Jul 2001, 17:53 (Ref:122175)   #24
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well, the IA license wasn't nearly as hard as I thought, only took me the afternoon to get it (all bronze).

I've also been able to replace my trusty 280 bhp MX 5 witha lancer Evo VII. Yay!
Old 26 Jul 2001, 23:44 (Ref:122314)   #25
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
My new and unmodified sporty Beetle S.i was good enough to win Route 11 and Deep Forest in the Beginner 4WD Cup, but the Midfield Raceway is a struggle. Will have to tune up the engine tomorrow. Vrrrrooooooooooooom!!!