Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 16 Jun 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2900296)   #1
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FR 3.5 (WSR) Nurburgring 2011

we start this with two GP2 drivers in these cars as Fauzy will replace Van der Drift & Herck will join the team of Pons. as this is at the Nurburgring weather could play a part as we know from other races and Turn 1 has seen overtaking & 1st lap crashes.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 21:14 (Ref:2900566)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
we start this with two GP2 drivers in these cars as Fauzy will replace Van der Drift & Herck will join the team of Pons. as this is at the Nurburgring weather could play a part as we know from other races and Turn 1 has seen overtaking & 1st lap crashes.
I can understand GP2 'testing' reasons for driver changes, but what a shocker for VDD, he's been going great guns with his recovery this year.

But Fauzy is well in with the Mofaz/Lotus big wigs.

Last edited by chunterer; 17 Jun 2011 at 12:27.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2900628)   #3
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pons changing drivers again?
Old 17 Jun 2011, 05:24 (Ref:2900713)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's a shame for van der drift but whilst the owners are largely bankrolling his racing you can't blame them for wanting to use the seat to help the family and their racing careers. it'll be interesting to see how fauzy does.

and pons haven't had the same driver twice. controversial opinion alert - it's actually really interesting having a "guest" driver each time, even if they are going to struggle because it's a *really* competitive series.

the championship leader at the end of this weekend gets a go in the f1 demo car too.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 06:06 (Ref:2900718)   #5
Supertec
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
Supertec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sure is a shame for Chris VDD as he is the only points scorer for the team, but economics must take their place, The Fauzy family own/run Mofaz Racing and given the limited seat time in GP2 it is only common sense to put Fauzy in the car for Nurburgring. I would expect Fauzy will drive in Hungary as well
Old 17 Jun 2011, 13:49 (Ref:2900920)   #6
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Match scheduled: 18-06-2011 from 13:00 until 14:00
Race #1 :: Nurburgring, Germany

No listing as I could find for Race 2, darn it! shown on the program Sunday at 14:00.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 15:18 (Ref:2900981)   #7
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've never been impressed by young Fauzy much. Lost interest in the A1GP days.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 17:22 (Ref:2901027)   #8
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
motorsport galoe by the looks of things on Eurosport for Sunday therefore no room for live nurburgring action. I think that the reason why we can not see live action on Sunday. the race will be shown 6.00pm in highlight form.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 08:23 (Ref:2901279)   #9
kaivo
Racer

Estonia
kaivo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 18 Jun 2011, 13:34 (Ref:2901407)   #10
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would seem that there was a coming together between JEV and Rossi in the first race.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2901426)   #11
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah didn't see it but from what i read on forums JEV was at fault, and apparently was pretty bad from JEV too. Seems like he might be crumbling a bit here. He was mega slow at Monaco and so far this weekend he hasn't really done much apart from plenty of spins in practice. Hes got to turn it around soon because now Wickens has opened a big gap and Ricciardo is only 11 points behind JEV in 2nd.

Race though was amazing. Wickens and Ricciardo battled it out till the last corner on the last lap, both passing each other for the lead a couple of times during the race. If it didn't rain i think Ricciardo would of won with no real challenge so the rain spiced it up!
Old 18 Jun 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2901439)   #12
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Yeah, that was fun wasn't it. JEV simply lost it on the pass, swapping ends as it were, he really almost had it; Rossi didn't seem to have much more grip at the time neither, but too bad, he'd could have had a podium. Strong day from Korjus again, but hard to beat the race at the front, great fun too watch. Well done all round.

Quote:
Robert Wickens: “The race didn’t really pan out the way I’d imagined. The final result is fantastic, but it was one heck of a battle. I took risks and my overtaking in the rain was rather daring, but it had to be done. I’m happy with the victory and the points that go with it. It’s a win that really counts.”
Quote:
Daniel Ricciardo: “Things were in my favour when the track was dry, but Robert was better in the rain. I came back strongly at the end of the race and I tried everything, but he defended his lead well. I wanted to win this race, and I wasn’t thinking about the points. I gave everything, and in the end it’s a good result.”
http://www.worldseriesbyrenault.fr/e...aid180611.aspx
Old 18 Jun 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2901592)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A-D.R View Post
Yeah didn't see it but from what i read on forums JEV was at fault, and apparently was pretty bad from JEV too. Seems like he might be crumbling a bit here. He was mega slow at Monaco and so far this weekend he hasn't really done much apart from plenty of spins in practice. Hes got to turn it around soon because now Wickens has opened a big gap and Ricciardo is only 11 points behind JEV in 2nd.

Race though was amazing. Wickens and Ricciardo battled it out till the last corner on the last lap, both passing each other for the lead a couple of times during the race. If it didn't rain i think Ricciardo would of won with no real challenge so the rain spiced it up!
Vergne is absolutely fine pace wise, and there wasn't much wrong at Monaco other than not getting a result that mattered.

Re today's indident, it was reported that JEV was at fault but it looked like he and Rossi got wheels intertwined. Rossi was on the outside exiting the turn with JEV accelerating alongside, but Rossi maybe had wheelspin on the wet surface and so pulled to the right and Vergne had nowhere to go but collect him.

However I think that theory has been dispelled!

If the race had been dry throughout Wickens had everyone licked, his qualy pace is a clear illustration of that.

Circumstances like weather change things though.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2901603)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
jev would have got a slap if there was anything remotely shady about that on his behalf, and he didn't even have it investigated (at least during the race) so the stewards saw it as a racing incident. i don't think he's crumbling at all - his involvements with the red bull simulators has clashed pretty obviously with his less impressive performances and it just looked like one of those things today. people are too quick to point fingers for causing avoidable accidents - i'm not sure that was avoidable, especially considering the surface was damp.

i thought ricciardo had it covered in the dry, but wickens was a lot less cautious in the wet.

i don't know why some guys went for wets when it was raining the second time - watching the clouds for 5 seconds from a slightly elevated viewpoint made it really blindingly obvious that it wasn't going to last, and it was drying up so quickly today. panciatici in particular binned off a decent finish in exchange for irrelevant tyres.

it'll be interesting to see what the weather brings tomorrow - if the wind isn't as strong and the rain lasts for a bit longer it might make swapping onto slicks a lot more marginal.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 21:29 (Ref:2901615)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Yes the weather today was classic conditions for that part of the world it seemed, as it is at the nearby Spa.

I guess the quickly changing conditions played havoc with some of the drivers and/or team managers in what tyres to call? The teeming rain at one part of the circuit would've made it seem like wets were the only sensible option, but then the almost totally dry sections would've made it more comfortable to stay on slicks.

Trouble may have been for some was thinking about how was the circuit going to be next time round in those areas that were previously dry, if they actually made it that far next time round.

It was great to see which drivers had the confidence to push in the conditions and which didn't, although on balance it was the more 'experienced' guys that had the pace on the tricky surface, even if some of them didn't net a good result.

The series this season, is far and away the best ever for the category. It really is ultra competitive, anyone who slips up is going to pay for it in points big time.

JEV is going to have to do something special tomorrow too get into a position where he can get something from the weekend, the same for Rossi.

Bring on Race 2!

Last edited by chunterer; 18 Jun 2011 at 22:30.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 22:21 (Ref:2901629)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Yes the weather today was classic conditions for that part of the world it seemed, as it is at the nearby Spa.

I guess the quickly changing conditions played havoc with some of the drivers and/or team managers in what tyres to call? The teeming rain at one part of the circuit would've made it seem like wets were the only sensible option, but then the almost totally dry sections would've made it more comfortable to stay on slicks.

Trouble may have been for some was thinking about how was the circuit going to be next time round in those areas that were previously dry, if they actually made it that far next time round.
i've been here (there) more times than i can count and the way the rain evaporated so quickly was a total novelty! there was literally a couple of minutes in between blue skies and bright sunshine and sudden dark skies and epic rain. then you look outside and the ground is steaming and 10 minutes later the paddock is completely dry bar a couple of puddles. with a clear view over t1 and the mercedes complex thing it was pretty obvious what was going on!

no idea what the weather's going to be like tomorrow though. it's been quite quiet since the massive rain during the megane race.

Last edited by chunterer; 18 Jun 2011 at 22:29.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 22:33 (Ref:2901636)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

You mean it may be wet now but blue skies over there means it's gonna stop pretty quickly?

Yeah logic would suggest stick with the dries but that would still present a problem to relative novices because they'e still got to keep the car pointing in the right direction in the brief massive downpours until the track comes back to them.

It all got a bit tricky!!
Old 18 Jun 2011, 22:42 (Ref:2901640)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
ah, the modern tedious nurburgring. it's a good job the weather is nuts or the place wouldn't survive
Old 19 Jun 2011, 03:09 (Ref:2901693)   #19
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
It's amazing how quick the track dries up. It must of been only 5 or 6 laps after the sudden downpour of rain to be dry and doing dry times again.

Race 2 will be good i suspect. Wickens will be hard to beat as Carlin looks very fast here and it seems he has a bit more pace to give than Vergne, but you can't rule out Ricciardo or Rossi too to pop up there, even Korjus hes so impressive.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 07:27 (Ref:2901714)   #20
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Qualy for race 2 is about to start fairly shortly and from timing it seems to be a wet track and raining.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2901752)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
unlike yesterday it's just plain grim and horrible. totally clouded over. similar wind, but the air temperature is a lot lower and it seems to be drying a lot slower. pretty decisive pole lap from wickens - he's really got it sorted in the wet. let's see if vergne can redeem himself after yesterday.

it'll definitely be a lot more tricky to judge the rain if it's changeable.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 13:11 (Ref:2901847)   #22
kaivo
Racer

Estonia
KORJUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS
Old 19 Jun 2011, 13:14 (Ref:2901849)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
well that was unexpected... from 13th on the grid?

the gamble paid off by a matter of two or three laps, that rain was pretty epic - lucky boy!
Old 19 Jun 2011, 13:18 (Ref:2901850)   #24
kaivo
Racer

Estonia
after 1st corner he was dead last
Old 19 Jun 2011, 13:19 (Ref:2901851)   #25
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I live basically between both tracks and statistically it is the rainiest part of Germany