Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 14 May 2012, 12:50 (Ref:3074331)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Monaco 2012 - A few questions

Hi all,

Looking to go to Monaco again this year (went in 2009). Few questions:

*Is WiFi available there?
*Can Brits use 3G there?
*Best places to sit/view?

I was in B last time - magnificent view, big screen in front. Probably out of my price range this time around. Would rather spend under £300.

My problem is as follows:
I don't mind where I sit (excluding the big hill - I can't camp there from Thursday!), as long as I can watch the race either through my telephone (hence the questions on WiFi/3G), OR on a big screen at the track.

If anyone could offer any advice, i'd be greatly thankful.

Dan
Old 14 May 2012, 17:28 (Ref:3074458)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
no wifi, yes you can use 3g but in past years the network has struggled with the traffic, and it'll cost you a fortune per mb. wouldn't recommend relying on that as a way of keeping up with the race to be honest.

as for seating... what's left now? your best bet is opposite the pit lane around the swimming pool, but i think they're around €450 or something very silly now.

edit: you're not going to get anything for less than £300 for saturday and sunday unfortunately (looking at the f1 site cause i'm not installing silverlight on here). you'll need to do rocher and get there on the first train.

Last edited by bella; 14 May 2012 at 17:41.
Old 15 May 2012, 07:02 (Ref:3074674)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
no wifi, yes you can use 3g but in past years the network has struggled with the traffic, and it'll cost you a fortune per mb. wouldn't recommend relying on that as a way of keeping up with the race to be honest.

as for seating... what's left now? your best bet is opposite the pit lane around the swimming pool, but i think they're around €450 or something very silly now.

edit: you're not going to get anything for less than £300 for saturday and sunday unfortunately (looking at the f1 site cause i'm not installing silverlight on here). you'll need to do rocher and get there on the first train.
First off, thanks bella!

Ok, so the 3G option is out of the window.

We have, however, found seats exactly where you said for about 270 pounds each. We're only looking to go for race day fortunately, so it knocks a few quid off of it.

The massive upside to this is that we also have a giant screen opposite us! So that's solved the first issue, too.

I did check out the Rocher, but even leaving at 6am apparently wasn't viable :/

Now just need to see if my friend can arrange a hotel/flight bundle he was promised!

Thanks again,

Dan
Old 15 May 2012, 10:28 (Ref:3074736)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
leaving at 6am definitely isn't, you need to have arrived by then at the latest for a good pitch. otherwise you're either balanced all day or standing up, plus you do need to go armed with all sorts of sustenance!

3g might be ok if you have a good data bundle from your network but i'm pretty sure even last year it had wobbly moments where even loading a simple mobile internet text page was too much. sometimes you get more luck using the gprs networks but obviously that kinda hinders what you can load up!

flights aren't too bad if you fly in on the saturday and then take a few days the other side, and he needs to look at easyjet in context. for example i head in the nice direction on average once every 6 weeks and if i fly now i use british airways because it costs the same as easyjet and wins on the value for money side of things. depending on how desperate you are it might be worth considering the milan airports and driving down - that's about 3-4 hours to the monaco area. it was about €25 in tolls each way when i went that way last month, and the a7 southbound to genoa is compulsory for laughs

i didn't realise you were looking at just the sunday - in which case any swimming pool ones are good. you can see a fairly good chunk of the circuit from there. i think the lower seats where you lose vision are still good because you cannot beat being that close to the cars when they're being driven in anger, regardless of what series it is. which stand are you going for? i can't quite think where all of the big screens are round there! i know there's a big one on the side of the hill, is there another facing towards the direction of travel on the way into the second part of the swimming pool complex?

not sure what my plans are for the race but i'll be there on and off from wednesday onwards. have you seen a revised timetable yet to include gp3?
Old 15 May 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3074738)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I havn't even looked in to the timetables tbh, bella!

Thank you again for all that very useful information. Massively helpful!

My mate's busy as ever and he sounded a bit negative last night, so I think chances are we may even switch to Spa instead...

Dan
Old 15 May 2012, 10:57 (Ref:3074742)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
flights back from monaco are always a nightmare, though like i say you might get some joy heading towards italy rather than expecting to be able to get anything well priced from nice before the following weekend.

i wouldn't touch f1 at spa with a bargepole, but that's the "walk a couple of miles from a car park i've paid a fortune for? bog off" side speaking. you might prefer that place during something open and quieter like the wsr weekend at the start of june or the 24 hour race perhaps.

f1 wise i would highly recommend monza. the atmosphere is something else, it's like monaco in that it's a real experience, unlike any other circuit!
Old 15 May 2012, 11:10 (Ref:3074744)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
flights back from monaco are always a nightmare, though like i say you might get some joy heading towards italy rather than expecting to be able to get anything well priced from nice before the following weekend.

i wouldn't touch f1 at spa with a bargepole, but that's the "walk a couple of miles from a car park i've paid a fortune for? bog off" side speaking. you might prefer that place during something open and quieter like the wsr weekend at the start of june or the 24 hour race perhaps.

f1 wise i would highly recommend monza. the atmosphere is something else, it's like monaco in that it's a real experience, unlike any other circuit!
Could you just elaborate a little more on why Spa F1 is a bad idea, bella?

Cheers!

Dan
Old 15 May 2012, 11:39 (Ref:3074757)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i should say first that i've never been for the f1, but at least once a year for other things including aforementioned wsr and 24hrs plus various other events. it's horrible and cold when it's wet, which is generally around 50-75% of whichever weekend you're there. the last 2 years i've been it was hail, followed by toasty warm sunshine. parking arrangements are a pain in the backside even without the f1, though if you camp it's considerably better (much like silverstone in that respect but worse cause of the hills).

it's a magical, wonderful circuit, but one that deserves to be fully explored from one end to the other without being told you can't go into part of it because the f1 princesses are there. i mean last year at the wsr we arrived on the friday for the test day, and pottered around aimlessly (it's more of a slog on the way up the hill but holy crap, the view is worth it), napped on the hill at pouhon, then pottered back to the paddock for timesheets and a nice clean bog. it's free. you don't need to pay a fortune to be treated as a second class citizen like you do at f1 races, and you get more of the place to explore, free grandstands, brilliant racing and a real sense of the soul of the circuit. it has HUGE soul and history, and it seems a real shame to drown that out with f1.

i don't know, maybe it's fine if you've never experienced it without the total freedom of the place that wsr gives you, and the relative peace and quiet you can enjoy. and the fact you can park right outside the circuit. and get digs for the night with an actual bed and shower for less than the cost of retailing an elderly relative. there are so many better ways to do spa rather than at a f1 race. the 24hr race gave me one of my most treasured memories - sat at the top of eau rouge with a portion of frites watching the sun go down as the race carried on around. walking out round the back in the dark was something else, it really was.

all that said, the friend who i go to the wsr with did go for the f1 and she loved it. she had a share in a camper van on a campsite though, and is a bit more ok with paying for the f1 thing than i am. so if you're used to being treated as a distant spectator then it's ok, but if you're looking to actually experience a racing event there... there's better.
Old 15 May 2012, 11:53 (Ref:3074761)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i should probably add that i'm not a f1 fan first and foremost. i'm a motorsport fan, and follow where my chosen series lead me. for example, i went to hungary to see the wsr and liked it so much i keep considering going to the grand prix there because the people are so lovely and the country is so nice. the compramise of paying to be treated as an outsider by f1 versus the wsr attitude of inviting the public to come and enjoy their event for free is a tradeoff i'd make for that particular event. in that context, spa is borderline because the inconveniences that are very easy to counter when you're paying not much or nothing at all to get in are the ones that tip the balance when it's you paying.

monza is the other way. yes, it rains and gets very soggy, and yes, the bogs are grim there too. but you can't experience the tifosi "thing" anywhere else and the circuit is so full of ghosts and history that it's worth seeing when it's wearing its formula one trousers and when it's simply in its leisure gear.
Old 15 May 2012, 12:15 (Ref:3074772)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Gotya! Sounds fair. Is WSBR free?!?

What's bad specifically about Spa, bella? Sorry, I sound like i'm repeating myself here, but what negatives can I expect?

Dan
Old 15 May 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3074788)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
wsr is always free except when it's just fr3.5 supporting something else eg at silverstone this year. includes paddock access and daily pitwalk and autograph session, plus red bull f1 demo a couple of times a day (at spa they normally just use half the track and turn it round at the bus stop and at les combes). saturday and sunday have pretty much the same schedule, qualifying in the morning, racing in the afternoon. check the worldseriesbyrenault.com website for specific details, and to download tickets here: http://www.worldseriesbyrenault.fr/e...s/Default.aspx

they also have a free app that includes live timing

it really depends whats important to you as to what you'll find the disadvantages are. for example, if you like a clean nice loo you might struggle. if you don't like to feel cold and wet for long, then you might not enjoy the track action as you would do. if you don't enjoy walking long distances then the circuit exploration opportunities plus the walk to and from the parking areas may cloud your enjoyment of the event. however, if none of that is important to you then you'll love the spanner in the works the weather throws at the racing, you'll love that you can potter around and view from so many places that offer such different views and you'll find the whole experience immense. and the frites are always second to none! and seeing just how steep the climb from eau rouge is... wow.

it's just one of those places where if you get bad weather or blisters from walking it can really make it an unpleasant experience because it's a relatively exposed location and there's no real way of avoiding walking barring taking pushbikes and cycling up some of the very serious hills.

ps if you do end up at monaco the new fr3.5 cars will seriously impress you. the noise is... something else. they sound like modern single seaters should do plus they have insane grip round corners so the monaco times should be very close to gp2
Old 15 May 2012, 13:01 (Ref:3074790)   #12
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went to Spa for the F1 a couple of years back and pretty much enjoyed (the year of Hamilton's post race penalty) . Like bella says it's a trade-off depending on whether you want to pay Bernie prices.

We stayed what would normally be half an hour's drive away - turned into 2+ to get in, even with a stupid o'clock start. Traffic is probably mid-way between what Silverstone used to be before the A43 upgrade and what it is now. If driving in there are car parks all over the place (every patch of green/gravel it seemed) and quite a walk in.

Food available is basic Belgian - if you're up for saucisson, frites, mayo followed by waffles for three days it's fine.

On the positives - it's a fantastic track and I do want to go back for other things (marshalling the 24hr there is high on my wish list). The TV camera really doesn't do justice to the elevation changes, especially through Eau Rouge. Watching F1s up there was an experience that made it worth the money for me.
Old 15 May 2012, 18:34 (Ref:3074928)   #13
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone wanting to "do" Spa for a major event should probably do one the the Historic meetings (not too crowded, realistically priced access) as a primer and planning visit.

Fabulous place but make sure you are fit if you want to make the most of it.

Monaco ...? Just back from the Historique weekend. Interesting. Several of us found ourselves watching the video relay screens more than the track. The sounds are great, but even with the variety of Historics, once you have heard the range available after the fiorst 10 mins the rest ends up as a ear for misfires and broken exhausts. Be prepared to walk and climb stairs - a lot. Not as bad as trying to find a way out of Gatwick on return though.

Try to find a 3D map of Monaco. This is no ordinary place where a road map will suffice. There are useful tunnels everywhere if you can find them.
Old 15 May 2012, 19:56 (Ref:3074969)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
on the contrary - only do historic meetings if you're interested in historics. otherwise it's going to bore you senseless. if you prefer more modern racing watch more modern cars. there's plenty of modern racing happening at spa to enjoy, and some free stuff at that.

as for a 3d map... only the amateurs explore monaco without using the network of public lifts
Old 16 May 2012, 07:10 (Ref:3075127)   #15
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Thanks alot everyone.

As mentioned, I have been to Monaco before, so I don't need to use 3D maps

I saw Historic GP at Brands Hatch. Martin Streatham (I BELIEVE) was incredible there. I really enjoyed it.

But, this F1 season has been monumental so far, so it'd be nice to see a race where it's completely unpredictable.

That's my main reason for going to see the F1 this year!

Selby
Old 16 May 2012, 13:44 (Ref:3075286)   #16
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Martin Stretton, Selby. Very handy driver.
Old 16 May 2012, 13:46 (Ref:3075287)   #17
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Martin Stretton, Selby. Very handy driver.
That's the one!

Honestly, he drove from the back to the front at Brands. Absolutely incredible.

I knew not one driver's name there, but me and my friend travelled back talking about one man...

He still racing?

Selby
Old 16 May 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3075300)   #18
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
That's the one!
He still racing?
Very much so. He raced in several races at the recent Donington Historic Festival.
Old 18 May 2012, 13:13 (Ref:3076105)   #19
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Spa is just something else.
If you want to walk on a level surface, forget it, it's up, oe down, ALL the way round. I love the place.
Food? Hit Carrefour in Malmedy, and DIY. Especially now the Whoopi Snack 'sheds' have all been removed, due a change in catering.
Yes, it rains (It surely did for WEC!) but then you expect it at Spa, don't you.
Go for the 24, or the 6 hours, or the 1000ks, but go...
Old 18 May 2012, 15:16 (Ref:3076150)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
how much are the circuit frites now, tim?
Old 19 May 2012, 21:24 (Ref:3076596)   #21
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
URL=http://www.imagesup.de/bild-IMG_JPG-118261.htm]Bild Hosted bei ImagesUp.de[/URL]

Completly new System . First you have to buy Points ( 8 Points for 9,95 € ) Frites with Sauce cost 3 Points ~ 3,75 € .
Old 19 May 2012, 21:27 (Ref:3076597)   #22
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
de/http://www.imagesupbild-IMG_JPG-118262.htm
Old 29 May 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3081234)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i guess you didn't make it to monaco this year mister selby

it was fairly busy, and there was a massive kickoff on thursday because the powers that be had decided not to open the rocher section. totally ridiculous, it didn't help fill the empty grandstands so i don't know what the point was. charge a flat rate of 60€ for them all on thursday and you might get a bite but closing the bit where the locals and fans on a budget alike go... not their smartest move.

on the 3g front, it didn't work on saturday and sunday, i switched to edge and gprs to get my twitter and live timing fixes. desperate times
Old 31 May 2012, 13:41 (Ref:3082605)   #24
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Nah I didn't make it, bella! Sounds like it was possibly the right move as far as the 3G etc goes!

I'm definitely going to one this year, though. I'm really tempted by Spa, even if it is difficult. Just the whole F1/Eau Rouge thing, really.. I've got a 500 pound wad sitting on my side just waiting to go in to Bernie's pocket! :P

Selby
Old 31 May 2012, 14:44 (Ref:3082639)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
monza. seriously dude. the tifosi will remind you why you love f1. the place has history oozing out of every branch of every tree.