Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Apr 2005, 11:19 (Ref:1280274)   #1
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stcc 2005

It's getting closer to the start of the Swedish Touring Car Championship.
Could be an interesting year with both the Volvo and the BMW team having a strong, young lineup and Mercedes making their debut. Richard Göransson is the reigning champion and will probably head for Europe next year. Another interesting thing is that Jan 'Flash' Nilsson left Volvo last season after competing with them for, well, forever. He said he'd run in the Carrera Cup championship instead. But last week he showed his shiny new BMW 320i and will be competing in both series, which will make for some pretty hectic race weekends... He's hoping to be the first independent driver winning the championship.

Here's the current lineup:
Code:
Richard Göransson	BMW Dealer Team			BMW 320i
Thed Björk		BMW Dealer Team			BMW 320i
Robert Dahlgren		Volvo Original Racing		Volvo S60
Edward Sandström	Volvo Original Racing		Volvo S60
Fredrik Ekblom		Kristoffersson Motorsport	Audi A4
Tommy Kristoffersson	Kristoffersson Motorsport	Audi A4
Johan Sturesson		IPS Motorsport			Peugeot 407
Tomas Engström		Honda Dealer Team		Honda Accord Euro-R
Jens Hellström		Honda Dealer Team		Honda Civic Type-R
Mattias Andersson	Team Italienska Bil		Alfa Romeo 156 GTA
Tobias Johanson		MB Sport			Mercedes C-class
Hans Simonson		MB Sport			Mercedes C-class
Johan Nilsson		JN Racing			BMW 320i
Jan 'Flash' Nilsson	Team Veidec			BMW 320i
Tommy Rustad		Opel Team Sweden		Opel Astra Coupe
Ronnie Brandt						Volvo S40
Christer Gellerstedt					BMW 320i
Joakim Gustavsson					Volvo S60
The series start at 21st of May.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1280418)   #2
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Rustad confirmed? I remember reading somewhere, that Team Opel Sweden does not have budget, and therefore Rustad does not have ride.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 17 Apr 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1280432)   #3
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Ronnie Brandt racing a new S40 or the older generation ones? Is the MB C-Class going to make the first race? So there's still going to be 2 Works S60s racing under Volvo Original Racing? Still using the old S60s or brand new chassis?
Old 17 Apr 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1280433)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CJ
Is Rustad confirmed? I remember reading somewhere, that Team Opel Sweden does not have budget, and therefore Rustad does not have ride.
Confirmed, see www.touringcartimes.com
Old 17 Apr 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1280466)   #5
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
Is Ronnie Brandt racing a new S40 or the older generation ones? Is the MB C-Class going to make the first race? So there's still going to be 2 Works S60s racing under Volvo Original Racing? Still using the old S60s or brand new chassis?
Brandt is racing the old generation. He's been at the back of the field with it before, and will be again.

The Volvo's are new built cars for 05 and run by Polestar Racing who was previously known as Flash Engineering (former owner Jan 'Flash' Nilsson will be driving a privateer BMW)

As far as I know the MB's will be ready for the first race.

By the way... pretty nice livery on the Veidec BMW:
Old 17 Apr 2005, 15:49 (Ref:1280472)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzen
As far as I know the MB's will be ready for the first race.
Any new pics of the car?

Quote:
By the way... pretty nice livery on the Veidec BMW:
Indeed, do you have more pics?
Old 17 Apr 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1280494)   #7
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Here's the current lineup:
Your list is missing Daniel Haglöf who will race Thomas Engstrom's Honda Civic Type R from last year

While the schedule is a bit too short, I have to say that the addition of Anderstorp and Valer are great. Hopefully they will add the GP layout at Gotland Ring when it's finished as well (for 2006 perhaps?).

Lastly, I have to say - and this is a biased opinion of course - that the STCC line-up will be the nicest S2000 one. I mean, the brands represented are quite impressive:

Volvo S60
Volvo S40
Audi A4
Mercedes C-Class
Honda Accord Euro-R
Honda Civic Type-R
BMW 320i
Peugeot 407
Alfa Romeo 156 GTA
Opel Astra

Last edited by rustyfan; 17 Apr 2005 at 16:21.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1280497)   #8
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Any new pics of the car?
Here's one:

http://www.stcc.se/pages/nyhet.asp?NewsId=2095
Old 17 Apr 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1280498)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
Thx, but I have seen this picture already.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1280517)   #10
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ah, that's OK then, good.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 17 Apr 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1280520)   #11
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Quote:
Any new pics of the car?

Indeed, do you have more pics?
Don't have any real pics of the MB. This is the best I can do at the moment...
http://www.mbsport.se/start.asp

More Veidec BMW pics are here:
BMW
Old 17 Apr 2005, 17:13 (Ref:1280523)   #12
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Thanks.
It looks of the Mercedes team has good backing from Shell and Bosch. Hope the car is compative or at least will become in next 2 season.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1280544)   #13
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Any new pics of the car?
Only two weeks old:

Old 17 Apr 2005, 23:32 (Ref:1280754)   #14
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Don't have any real pics of the MB. This is the best I can do at the moment...
http://www.mbsport.se/start.asp
I wonder if Mclaren has copyrighted their paint scheme. It seems every touring car MB is using the Mclaren red/black/silver paint scheme.

So has Shell jumped from Audi to MB? Or will they be sponsoring 2 different teams/makes?
Old 17 Apr 2005, 23:55 (Ref:1280764)   #15
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
The Volvo's are new built cars for 05 and run by Polestar Racing who was previously known as Flash Engineering (former owner Jan 'Flash' Nilsson will be driving a privateer BMW)
So are the Polestar Racing Volvos genuine Works cars or an Independent team with some Volvo sponsorship?
Old 18 Apr 2005, 07:46 (Ref:1280945)   #16
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I wonder if Mclaren has copyrighted their paint scheme. It seems every touring car MB is using the Mclaren red/black/silver paint scheme.
Surely it's more Mercedes colours than McLaren, after all they have been using silver since before McLaren even existed.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 09:39 (Ref:1281019)   #17
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Quote:
So are the Polestar Racing Volvos genuine Works cars or an Independent team with some Volvo sponsorship?
Polestar are the works cars and apart from running in the STCC they are responsible for technical support to the Volvos in the Danish Touring Car Championship, and they are in charge of running Volvo's junior touring car championship S60 Challenge.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1281152)   #18
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First STCC-test today:

You know where to find more pics...
Old 18 Apr 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1281157)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Great pics! Can't wait to see that Peugeot on track in a race situation - looks great and a lot better than the previous model IMHO
Old 18 Apr 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1281279)   #20
alfan
Racer

Poland
Wroclaw, Poland
alfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
O yeah, that's how a touring car should look like It's such a pity, I can't watch STCC anywhere

Stiil, I'm looking forward to see 407 in WTCC
Old 18 Apr 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1281579)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's about time STCC was shown on Motors TV. I hope the STCC organisers are approaching people like Motors TV and vice versa.

Last STCC race I can remember watching on TV must've been aroun 1999/2000 in ST days!
Old 18 Apr 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1281615)   #22
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
It's about time STCC was shown on Motors TV. I hope the STCC organisers are approaching people like Motors TV and vice versa.
If MotorsTV got in touch with Viasat I reckon there is the odd chance a deal could be made for a highlights magazine or something, but don't count on the STCC themselves being very active. It's somewhat of a miracle we'll even get it live here in Sweden (first time ever, as far as I can recall) this year.

With Sweden being a small country the mindset among the STCC head honchos in the past have always been that live broadcasts would pull people away from the tracks on raceday... Not sure how Viasat managed to convince them otherwise, but I guess they waved a big enough bundle of cash under their noses...
Old 19 Apr 2005, 03:09 (Ref:1281767)   #23
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Polestar are the works cars and apart from running in the STCC they are responsible for technical support to the Volvos in the Danish Touring Car Championship, and they are in charge of running Volvo's junior touring car championship S60 Challenge.
I wonder why did Jan Nilsson leave a Works team then? I guess he was tired with the poor performance of the S60 after so many years? Polestar maybe Works, but they are one of the poorer (poorly funded) Works teams?
Old 19 Apr 2005, 03:16 (Ref:1281769)   #24
kmchow
Veteran

From the pics, the 407 looks absolutely huge. Or perhaps the c pillar/rear view was not very flattering??
Old 19 Apr 2005, 06:51 (Ref:1281823)   #25
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
I wonder why did Jan Nilsson leave a Works team then? I guess he was tired with the poor performance of the S60 after so many years? Polestar maybe Works, but they are one of the poorer (poorly funded) Works teams?
Performing poorly in the ETCC perhaps, but in the STCC Volvo has been one of the top teams for many years now.

As for Nilsson, I think he just wanted to get a fresh start. Keep in mind that he used to be a part-owner in the team, and I reckon the many years of not only racing in the team but also running it started to take its toll. Nilsson isn't exactly a youngster these days either, so not having to worry about running the show, but just driving, is probably a nice change.

To make a comparison, just look at how Bill Elliott's career was refired when he sold his Cup team to Ray Evernham and could concentrate on just driving the car.