Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 12 Sep 2006, 21:20 (Ref:1709185)   #26
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
HrRACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Changes his mind about what Mark?
Old 12 Sep 2006, 21:25 (Ref:1709190)   #27
M.Lowe
Veteran

M.Lowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depending what state the car is after previous weekend you know what drivers are like and change their minds and he might do superprix
Old 12 Sep 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1709219)   #28
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Lowe
Pat isnt doing superprix unless he changes his mind

A nice pic of a 307 WRC shell
looking good

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 13 Sep 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1709763)   #29
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by :) RallyX
You are absolutely right Chessmsport, The main issue why british supercar drivers do not sometimes compete in the RSS is due to budgets.. Some people do not realise how much it costs to run a supercar.
True, but you would have thought the Superprix is the one event a year the BRC drivers would definately take in, seeing as it's the one event that has the potential to increase the sports visibility in the UK.

Maybe the RSS organisors should concentrate on, at most, two winter events, to complement the BRC.
Old 13 Sep 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1709769)   #30
Chessmsport
Racer

England
Eastbourne
Chessmsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
True, but you would have thought the Superprix is the one event a year the BRC drivers would definately take in, seeing as it's the one event that has the potential to increase the sports visibility in the UK.
Maybe the RSS organisors should concentrate on, at most, two winter events, to complement the BRC.
Why would it "increase the sports visibility" any more than any other rallycross meeting !!!!!!!!
Old 13 Sep 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1709808)   #31
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

I think you wrong.

Take Pat for instance. He spends all year in the BRC and thats all his budget can stand to. Why would he miss one BRC event to attend the Superprix, when he might loose the championship.

Thats not to say that he wouldn't do it if he could afford to, i'm sure everyone would.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 09:46 (Ref:1710054)   #32
PhergAthor
Racer

Belgium
Maasmechelen, Belgium
PhergAthor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

I also think RSS should move to complement the BRC, not run one-off events throughout the season. As a foreiner I think the only big event of the RSS is the superprix. If they concentrate on that, they might lift its standart up to the level of the ROC.

I visited the RSS event at Valkenswaard last year, and although Bell was 4th or fifth in the final, he won the RSS. With Hill rolled that was easy to win. Why run abroad if the locals cannot win the titel? The enties of the Brits were also very low. It just didn't make any sence to me. Better to support Brits to compete in European national events than to set up a separate event alongside.

But don't get me wrong, I do like the RSS. They try to promoted my favorite sport in any way they seem fit. But one or two big events (off-season) would do more good then the small events in-season and the superprix at the end.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 14:16 (Ref:1710234)   #33
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessmsport
Why would it "increase the sports visibility" any more than any other rallycross meeting !!!!!!!!
One reason, international competitors.

As someone who watched rallycross on TV in the late 80's, early 90's, as a kid, when I read Hansen et al would be at the Superprix last year it convinced me to go to my first ever live Rallycross event.

Watching the BRC from afar, from 94-2004, the entrylists and general state of UK rallycross did not appeal, admittedly 2005 onwards have improved dramatically, but I'm convinced it took the Superprix and RSS competition to focus some minds and bring the BRC upto speed.

For guys south of Birmingham Lydden's rounds have been the highlight of the year, but for those in the North of the country the Croft Superprix is the one event in the year that can give newbie rallycross fans a glimpse of what the sport was like in the Group B years.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 14:25 (Ref:1710240)   #34
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhergAthor
I also think RSS should move to complement the BRC, not run one-off events throughout the season. As a foreiner I think the only big event of the RSS is the superprix. If they concentrate on that, they might lift its standart up to the level of the ROC.

I visited the RSS event at Valkenswaard last year, and although Bell was 4th or fifth in the final, he won the RSS. With Hill rolled that was easy to win. Why run abroad if the locals cannot win the titel? The enties of the Brits were also very low. It just didn't make any sence to me. Better to support Brits to compete in European national events than to set up a separate event alongside.

But don't get me wrong, I do like the RSS. They try to promoted my favorite sport in any way they seem fit. But one or two big events (off-season) would do more good then the small events in-season and the superprix at the end.
Totally agree.

Maybe a double header at the end of the BRC/ERC year at Croft and Lydden would be more cost effective for European competitors and attract more British drivers?

The BRC seems to be evolving into something closer to what the RSS organisors envisaged, newer cars, better promotion, TV coverage etc., so now could be the time to stop direction competition and focus on two end of season highlight events.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 14:30 (Ref:1710243)   #35
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HrRACING
I think you wrong.

Take Pat for instance. He spends all year in the BRC and thats all his budget can stand to. Why would he miss one BRC event to attend the Superprix, when he might loose the championship.

Thats not to say that he wouldn't do it if he could afford to, i'm sure everyone would.

But if the Superprix evolves into a 'junior' ERC round in all but name, a big crowd, TV/media coverage etc., the extra budget would be easier to find.

Put on a bigger and better show and sponsors are likely to be easier to find.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 18:22 (Ref:1710387)   #36
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the bottom line is that the Superprix is bigger and better than anything offered within the BRC. It essential that its backed by domestic drivers if we are to ever be serious about getting an ERC round. Some people have put in a lot of work to get European drivers over here and they deserve support, not criticism!
Old 14 Sep 2006, 18:49 (Ref:1710404)   #37
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
I'm not saying anything bad about the superprix, or RPL, but surly you would rather do a championship with your money than a one off event.

Not saying they shouldn't do the superprix if they can afford it, but I know for a fact that by the end of the championship some people's budgets are on an absolute limit!
Old 14 Sep 2006, 19:08 (Ref:1710421)   #38
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
I'm not saying anything bad about the superprix, or RPL, but surly you would rather do a championship with your money than a one off event.

Not saying they shouldn't do the superprix if they can afford it, but I know for a fact that by the end of the championship some people's budgets are on an absolute limit!
I don't disagree with anything you say, but I can't help feeling some no shows are down to politics rather than budget.

Just a hunch.

Such a pity as the Superprix could be the Rallycross equivalent of the Race of Champions, if developed sensibly.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 19:16 (Ref:1710436)   #39
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Such a pity as the Superprix could be the Rallycross equivalent of the Race of Champions, if developed sensibly.
This is very true - if the superprix moved to Brands I think it would be massive, Brands isn't the best rallycross circuit but it does have the big name, it would get massive promotion and I'm sure plenty of people would be falling over themselves to enter. Brands hasn't had any rallycross for a while but it does still have its rallycross sections (and with the amount of redevelopment that has taken place at Brands it has to count for something that they're still there). Maybe an MSV promoted one off event? (pure speculation on my part with nothing whatsoever to back it up - possible though?)
Old 14 Sep 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1710439)   #40
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
This is very true - if the superprix moved to Brands I think it would be massive, Brands isn't the best rallycross circuit but it does have the big name, it would get massive promotion and I'm sure plenty of people would be falling over themselves to enter. Brands hasn't had any rallycross for a while but it does still have its rallycross sections (and with the amount of redevelopment that has taken place at Brands it has to count for something that they're still there). Maybe an MSV promoted one off event? (pure speculation on my part with nothing whatsoever to back it up - possible though?)
If someone could get the sponsors behind it, im sure an event could go ahead there?? Mondello isnt cheap to run an event at, so i couldnt imagine what Brands would be like.

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 14 Sep 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1710442)   #41
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Brands is very expensive, but MSV could make big money out of an event if it did take place - the crowds for rallycross at Brands have always been impressive.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 19:28 (Ref:1710452)   #42
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
What were the crouds like last time the BRC went to Brands in 04?
Old 14 Sep 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1710456)   #43
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Can't remember what the figures were (anyone?) but they were bigger than those at any other uk rallycross event for a number of years.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 19:52 (Ref:1710467)   #44
JAG
Veteran

England
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Brands is very expensive, but MSV could make big money out of an event if it did take place - the crowds for rallycross at Brands have always been impressive.
Sorted then.

Croft Superprix late October, Brands Superprix a week later with a fireworks display to finish off the day

The best of the best from Britain taking on the Europeans.

Now that has potential.

Who needs an ERC round?

Anyone listening
Old 14 Sep 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1710498)   #45
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
:

Sorted then.

Croft Superprix late October, Brands Superprix a week later with a fireworks display to finish off the day

Now that has potential.

Who needs an ERC round?

Anyone listening
How would you expect people to support that?
If people struggle to do one event as well as the BRC, then how two???
Old 14 Sep 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1710546)   #46
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
:

Sorted then.

Now that has potential.

Who needs an ERC round?

Anyone listening
Good idea but its OTT, while it would be nice to see that sort of thing going down; ultimatly it probably wouldnt happen.

One possible way you could interlace the two events would be if you were to run a Knockout Round superprix; however this has one problem... Once you have all the top notch winners from one event and plop them in brands for the "final" you dont have hours of racing.. infact probably an hour at max....

What you could do is operate a "Rallycross Challenge" type of system, include more classes and deem the winners of each the Fastest Drivers in europe.....

Its really the only way i can see it happening...

Old 14 Sep 2006, 22:16 (Ref:1710564)   #47
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
How would you expect people to support that?
If people struggle to do one event as well as the BRC, then how two???
If it's promoted well enough, attracts the top Europeans, how could a BRC runner possibly ignore it, especially if you had live coverage on Motors TV or even Sky, who are struggling to fill schedules at that time of year. Just look at the way Speedway is promoted on TV these days.

Anyhow, I'm looking 2-3 years ahead, atm we have the Croft Superprix and it deserves all the support it can get.

Afterall some BRC runners have competed overseas this year.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 22:19 (Ref:1710568)   #48
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Its catch 22, you need the coverage to get teh drivers.... But the Drivers need the coverage to get the big sponsors.....

Old 14 Sep 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1710575)   #49
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why not just bring back the British Rallycross Grand Prix. It was always one of the biggest meetings in Europe. Rallycross once again has the cars and drivers to get terrestrial TV interested.
Run it at Brands in the beginning of December, get MSV to organise it, with help from the BRDA and RPL, get Grandstand to film it with commentry from Murray Walker and Arthur Debenham.
I know I may be living in a dream world, but surely it could be done.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 22:38 (Ref:1710582)   #50
JAG
Veteran

England
No Grandstand from next year!

No Saturday ITV sports coverage.

But Sky, Motors TV and Eurosport UK.