Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Mar 2009, 03:03 (Ref:2414684)   #51
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skoda Special Vehicles
Old 14 Mar 2009, 07:41 (Ref:2415346)   #52
xr8
Racer

Australia
sydney
xr8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not just let people think that Skaife owns holden and when they get back on there feet take it back as he owes too much money to holden, then everyone can feel sorry for Skaife and say hes been so badly done by!
Sounds a bit familiar? Nah couldnt be!
Old 14 Mar 2009, 09:28 (Ref:2415384)   #53
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJ View Post
I work for Terex and they have not had anything to do with GM for quite a while. They are not for sale but like most manufacturing companies are facing difficulties
He worked for "Allison Transmission" and was employed to work at Terex on the earth moving machinery (hydraulics engineer) , when "Detroit Diesel"was bought by Daimler he was employed by Terex to do the same work - Terex is looking for massive handouts to survive the economic climate , what they have been offered won't keep the doors open - Caterpillar is bleeding as much as Terex - it's sad to see such great names in the predicament that they are in , they are just caught up in the mess like so many others , a mess that they had nothing to do with .
Just today SE Queensland copped a massive hit , as if the economic downturn isn't enough , many of the beaches are either covered in oil or about to be because of a container ship loosing 30 containers of Amonium Nitrate over the side during Cyclone Hamish, one container puncturing the ships oil tanks and 230,000 litres of oil escaping into our waterways and the 30 containers (not waterproof) sinking close to the shore , all Holiday advertising for the areas affected have been pulled and the fishing fleets have been forced to stay in port , not a good week at all !!
Old 15 Mar 2009, 09:04 (Ref:2415861)   #54
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lost amongst billy's usual 'anti-anything Holden' post is the fact that Ford is in only a marginally better financial position. Ford is far smaller, but was smart enough to arrange a loan prior to the GFC. That will help Ford in the short term, but won't stave off the same problems afflicting the big GM. Both (all) US car makers are suffering from the effects of the UAW, producing poor vehicles, and now reeling from the self-perpetuating effects of people not buying cars from makers in financial trouble.

Enjoy your short-term glee, billy-boy. The long term effects of this financial melt-down will get to all car makers eventually. I note in your link that Ford was posting an $8.8 billion US loss, after posting losses of $2.7 billion US in '07, $14.5 billion US in '08, and $5.9 billion US for the first quarter of '09. When you're smaller, those losses are bigger.

Maybe when there's a few more hundred thousand workers in the US unemployed, when GM AND Ford have gone down the gurgler, and Supercars have ceased to be, you can pop up here and tell us your opinion on Mark Skaife once again.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 02:54 (Ref:2416379)   #55
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8 View Post
Lost amongst billy's usual 'anti-anything Holden' post is the fact that Ford is in only a marginally better financial position. Ford is far smaller, but was smart enough to arrange a loan prior to the GFC. That will help Ford in the short term, but won't stave off the same problems afflicting the big GM. Both (all) US car makers are suffering from the effects of the UAW, producing poor vehicles, and now reeling from the self-perpetuating effects of people not buying cars from makers in financial trouble.

Enjoy your short-term glee, billy-boy. The long term effects of this financial melt-down will get to all car makers eventually. I note in your link that Ford was posting an $8.8 billion US loss, after posting losses of $2.7 billion US in '07, $14.5 billion US in '08, and $5.9 billion US for the first quarter of '09. When you're smaller, those losses are bigger.

Maybe when there's a few more hundred thousand workers in the US unemployed, when GM AND Ford have gone down the gurgler, and Supercars have ceased to be, you can pop up here and tell us your opinion on Mark Skaife once again.
..... and GM is currently tearing up to ONE BILLION a week. The fat lady has sung and your beloved company is ****ed. Welcome to the new Daewoo Commodore, meat pies, Kangaroos and
Old 16 Mar 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2416506)   #56
Aarrgh8
Veteran

No. Not my beloved company. Making assumptions means you'll usually get it wrong - as you do. As far as I'm concerned, Ford and GM are US car manufacturers, with nothing much to love about either of them, and both have let themselves be done over by the UAW while making cars that the public generally didn't like.

Like I said, the long-term effects of this world financial meltdown will get to all manufacturers eventually. Meanwhile, you still get to see and hear Mark Skaife on the Supercar telecasts. All is not still lost, you see. Holdens still racing - and you still have your nemesis on screen to give you a reason to keep posting.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2416570)   #57
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually according to MeN Mr Skaife is headed back to the enduros.

Where shall he land I wonder?

#39?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Mar 2009, 11:35 (Ref:2416572)   #58
Aarrgh8
Veteran

I like that combination. They can't bicker about who squeezed who if they share the same car.

He can still commentate at the sprint rounds though, can't he? Just for Billy?
Old 16 Mar 2009, 13:47 (Ref:2416674)   #59
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He could even do a Crompton and still commentate the enduro's, ducking out of the box when its time for his stint
Old 17 Mar 2009, 05:44 (Ref:2417140)   #60
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks harder View Post
it will be a sad day in australian manufacturing history if holden falls over because of poor management from GM. if holden does fall you can say good bye to v8 supercars.
You could always put a Holden Epica body on top of the existing VE. Or even keep racing out of manufacture cars with no works support?

A Falcon one-make series would please the Ford fans. Rumours of time for Falcon to go etc, only come from the US, and the chaps down here surely know Falcon is best and the Mondeo is a good car but not exactly a Muscle car, and a locally produced Taurus would have diabolically poor sales. Worse case, they could stretch the current Falcon out to 2020 like the Argentine Falcon:

It's so contemporary for it's final production year in 1991, no one could possibly tell they have tarted up the 1963 model with new tail-lights.

Here is the Argentine's earlier 1973 version of the 1963 Ford, which even comes with racing stripes. Goes to show a job like this for the FG would be supremely cool right along the process:
Old 17 Mar 2009, 05:51 (Ref:2417142)   #61
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats gotta be a wind up surely, XP Falcon with TE Cortina tail lights? Looks like something you see at Taperoo in Adelaide... I wonder if it still has the old 170 in it?
Old 17 Mar 2009, 06:41 (Ref:2417152)   #62
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza027 View Post
Thats gotta be a wind up surely, XP Falcon with TE Cortina tail lights? Looks like something you see at Taperoo in Adelaide... I wonder if it still has the old 170 in it?
A bit of a Google search shows it's real; quite an interesting concept:

Link 1
Link 2

Edit: This is the best one yet.

Last edited by Forda; 17 Mar 2009 at 07:08.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2417215)   #63
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Billy, your thread has been derailed. Wasn't me. It's something about Cortina tail-lights now.

I'm sure you can get Holden, V8SC and Mark Skaife back in here somehow. Go, billy.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2417324)   #64
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://livenews.com.au/Articles/2009..._Holden_report

So I still believe skoda will enter the series next year
Old 18 Mar 2009, 04:32 (Ref:2417986)   #65
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
13 days to go, tick tick tick.
As for Skaife in the Enduros, who the hell would want him?
Old 18 Mar 2009, 06:34 (Ref:2418006)   #66
Aarrgh8
Veteran

There you go. Easy!

Being a big Paul Morris fan, I don't suppose you support GTRM's idle thought of the Mark and Russell show?
Old 18 Mar 2009, 07:05 (Ref:2418016)   #67
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing as Skaifey has been announced on the commentary team this year, unless they intend to have him race while wired for sound permanantly, I cant see him back in a race car until maybe PI.
Thanks for the links Forda, Id be ****ed off if I was in argentina and saw what a 91 Falcon looked like in Oz, actually, thats still an EA, I take that back totally. Bloody Argentinian ones were probably higher spec'd too.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 11:05 (Ref:2418166)   #68
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8 View Post
There you go. Easy!

Being a big Paul Morris fan, I don't suppose you support GTRM's idle thought of the Mark and Russell show?
Wont happen. Rusty and Skaife like totally different setups. Don't also forget that Skaife is the "ambassador" for HRT
Old 18 Mar 2009, 11:28 (Ref:2418177)   #69
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime View Post
Wont happen. Rusty and Skaife like totally different setups. Don't also forget that Skaife is the "ambassador" for HRT
Click Here

Quote:
V8DD: Do you still have an official position within HRT:

MS: No.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 18 Mar 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2418185)   #70
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
oh retro that is the worse bit of quoting since the world is getting warmer. read the next line in your quoted source
Old 18 Mar 2009, 12:23 (Ref:2418212)   #71
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So who is at risk? The Kiwi or Mr Owen?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 18 Mar 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2418255)   #72
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
oh retro that is the worse bit of quoting since the world is getting warmer. read the next line in your quoted source

Quote:
V8DD: There was talk at the end of last season that you would be an ambassador for the team, did that fall through?

MS: No it didn't fall through. There are certain things that I'll still do for the team at times when there are functions and bits and pieces, because there is clearly a large supporter base there that, you know, I've had a long association with so there's no doubt there will be some contact. There's my role with Holden will be maintained and a lot of other things that I'll be doing outside of the mainstream stuff that we've got going. The personal sponsors that I've had for many years we'll maintain those also. There's a lot of activity as a consequence.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 18 Mar 2009, 16:03 (Ref:2418372)   #73
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like Skaife wouldn't rule out driving a Ford in the enduros.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 02:49 (Ref:2418876)   #74
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is a serious issue for the series - anyone that thinks it is not hasn't the foggiest.

There was a very good piece in Motor Racing Australia a couple of months ago suggesting that not one manufacturer in Australia has any interest in going touring car racing to the V8 formula.

If Holden ceases to exist, it will be a one-make Ford series - and as Ford are not far behind GM, they cannot afford such a series.

OR, V8s folds and (hopefully) another, more cost efficient series springs up in its place - something that a number of manufacturers might show interest in.

The fact is that GM, Ford and Chrysler are in the predicament they are in because of a catastrophic lack of foresight. European and Asian manufacturers have been working on more fuel efficient and inexpensive-to-run vehicles for decades - vehicles that suit the needs of today and tomorrow. While the big three have ignorantly had their collective head in the sand building pointless cars like the Commodore with no attempt to cater to the changing demands of the marketplace.

Only when GM had already missed the boat did they start talking about electric cars, more fuel efficient cars, smaller four cylinder engines... Oh, and how did Holden go about seriously attacking the small car market? By removing the quality European product from the country, and re-badging inefficient and less safe Daewoos!

GM's predicament is directly attributable to a complete lack of foresight. I just hope motor racing in this country does not fall over because of the same shortfall.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 04:34 (Ref:2418904)   #75
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
This is a serious issue for the series - anyone that thinks it is not hasn't the foggiest.

There was a very good piece in Motor Racing Australia a couple of months ago suggesting that not one manufacturer in Australia has any interest in going touring car racing to the V8 formula.

If Holden ceases to exist, it will be a one-make Ford series - and as Ford are not far behind GM, they cannot afford such a series.

OR, V8s folds and (hopefully) another, more cost efficient series springs up in its place - something that a number of manufacturers might show interest in.

The fact is that GM, Ford and Chrysler are in the predicament they are in because of a catastrophic lack of foresight. European and Asian manufacturers have been working on more fuel efficient and inexpensive-to-run vehicles for decades - vehicles that suit the needs of today and tomorrow. While the big three have ignorantly had their collective head in the sand building pointless cars like the Commodore with no attempt to cater to the changing demands of the marketplace.

Only when GM had already missed the boat did they start talking about electric cars, more fuel efficient cars, smaller four cylinder engines... Oh, and how did Holden go about seriously attacking the small car market? By removing the quality European product from the country, and re-badging inefficient and less safe Daewoos!

GM's predicament is directly attributable to a complete lack of foresight. I just hope motor racing in this country does not fall over because of the same shortfall.
12 days to go, tick tick tick.