Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Oct 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2569922)   #1
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cochrane Gets Slapped

Ms Bligh was on the radio today and gave T. Cochrane Esq a slap across the face. Apparently TC said that the V8's were the only show in town and he guaranteed that the TV would be seen in a 110 countries around the world. This promise under scrutiny post race has been modified to.... The TV feed went to 110 countries but we are not sure how many actually broadcast it. Ms Bligh is not a happy camper it would seem.

Australian motor is full of past scams and lies and TC has not done himself any favours by trying to create a scenario that was never going to happen. I wonder what he has promised the NSW government that he can't deliver on? We don't need promoters running around telling BS stories as it only damages the image of the sport and god knows it is bad enough already in some quarters and doesn't need any help to drag it lower.

BTW it was shown on a pay TV network in NZ, similar in the US, the UK (I can't recall) and they think it might have been shown in the Middle East but they have gone away to check and will let the Premier know when they find out. TC, do you mean to tell the Australian Motorsport fraternity that you have tried to pull a fast one and it has backfired?

The ABC program PM aired the interview with the Premier and it will be available on line if you want to listen.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2570028)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not surprising is it. Cochrane had done so well this week but he just could not help himself this time and it has come back to bite him.

The Cochrane and V8SA era has been built on bogus statements and his big mouth without any investigation into the facts behind these stories. Hopefully the tide is turning.

V8's aren't shown full stop in the US at the current time. Look forward to the hearing this radio program. Post the link if you have it
Old 26 Oct 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2570053)   #3
richie17
Racer

Australia
Alexandra Hills
richie17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 15:31 (Ref:2570147)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The V8's last I checked get aired at 3am in January in heavily edited form on the Speed Channel here in the USA.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2570233)   #5
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was shown on free to air here in NZ
Old 26 Oct 2009, 18:30 (Ref:2570238)   #6
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
ANNA BLIGH: It's nothing like the live international coverage that the A1 or the Indy gets - nothing like it. And that's why we are determined to look at our ability to secure another international event.
This statement alone virtually tells V8SCA they won't be the main act again...(Unless of course they try to label themselves as an 'international event'!)
Old 26 Oct 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2570273)   #7
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's nothing like the live international coverage that the A1 or the Indy gets - nothing like it. And that's why we are determined to look at our ability to secure another international event.
Well the IRL is on a secondary pay TV channel in the US. Can anyone tell me what live broadcast free to air channel A1GP is? or was?
Old 26 Oct 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2570290)   #8
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe TC should get a velvet suit to go with that stupid hat he's been wearing, as now he really looks like the dodgy pimp that he is!

For shame!!
Old 26 Oct 2009, 20:47 (Ref:2570311)   #9
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
international

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
This statement alone virtually tells V8SCA they won't be the main act again...(Unless of course they try to label themselves as an 'international event'!)
V8SC do believe they are international ... imagine the State sports ministers comparing notes !!
Old 26 Oct 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2570314)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
Well the IRL is on a secondary pay TV channel in the US. Can anyone tell me what live broadcast free to air channel A1GP is? or was?
There is no free to air in the USA really. 98% of the USA has cable or satellite.

I believe A1 was on Fox Sports at one time.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2570350)   #11
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
There is no free to air in the USA really. 98% of the USA has cable or satellite.

I believe A1 was on Fox Sports at one time
Well that is right, but ABC, CBS etc still are. I thought A1 was on Sentana, Fox Sports only carries mainly main interest stuff for US fans. One reason Fox have dropped ALL Touring car /WRC from their programs(As well they compete with NASCAR for attention, cannot have that)
Old 26 Oct 2009, 22:44 (Ref:2570368)   #12
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glass half empty, anyone?

Imagine how successful an international event would be without the V8s?

You guys need to join Queensland politics, you make at least as much sense.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 23:10 (Ref:2570380)   #13
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:

SSbaby have to agree. 200,000 out of a potential 300, 000 turned up. Factor in GFC, A1GP debacle, PC Policing and generally negativity before the event started , then that would explain a lot of the dropouts. The real test is when the event becomes a V8Supercar controlled event. I have a feeling certain individuals in the Old Govt would not be happy about that as a result of certain political allegiances
Old 26 Oct 2009, 23:14 (Ref:2570383)   #14
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
The V8's last I checked get aired at 3am in January in heavily edited form on the Speed Channel here in the USA.
Not any more. Both the V8's and the DTM which were Winter filler on Speed are no longer carried.
There was a small but vocal group on the Speed TV forums calling for their return though.
Since FOX took over Speed it's become more focused on NASCAR and general entertainment shows like "Pinks"
We did see a 3 minute highlights package of an Eastern Creek round in France a few years back, on a free to air Sports show in a bar in Montmarte.
At the time though talking to the flaggies at both Le Mans and Dijon, the now defunct Nations Cup had a much higher profile.
The good thing about all this is finally someone is questioning the ridiculous TV claims that VESA is making.
The NSW opposition will be following this story very closely.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 23:20 (Ref:2570389)   #15
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby View Post

Errr, notice half of the usual locations that corporate boxes took up where empty?? Mojor one I noticed the most was the multi-level box drivers left at Turn 1. How many of those corporate boxes would have been associated with the International side of the event?? GFC or not, there was a lot missing.

I also remember sections around the track would be packed with people moving around, but from some of camera angles they used, those places had more tumble weeds blowing through them than foot traffic.

Considering next year is the 20th anniversary of the event, I'm considering a return visit after a 3 year hiatus, but bugger it if I'm going to have to pay the "Indy" surcharge on accommodation and other things if it's only a V8 event. I only attended the event for the CART/ChampCar/IRL racing.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 23:28 (Ref:2570396)   #16
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
I only attended the event for the CART/ChampCar/IRL racing.
My apologies. I had no idea the event was so popular and that core CART/ChampCar/IRL fans, like yourself, made up the bulk of the crowd figures. And I had no idea that there was money being made on past CART/ChampCar/IRL events.

I need to have my Bex and have a good lie down, methinks. Thanks for setting me straight, btw.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 23:35 (Ref:2570398)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
Not any more. Both the V8's and the DTM which were Winter filler on Speed are no longer carried.
There was a small but vocal group on the Speed TV forums calling for their return though.
Since FOX took over Speed it's become more focused on NASCAR and general entertainment shows like "Pinks"
Honestly haven't paid much attention to Speed channel cause I will have seen all the races long before they got to air in January. Nor do I even check the listings because they have the same old crap on there most of the year.

However 5-6 years ago I did record what they aired, before moving to the review DVD's that Chevron made available and then onwards as technology progressed.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 23:39 (Ref:2570401)   #18
snappa
Racer

snappa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys Last year when I was in a corporate box at indy I got talking to somone in the know and they said to me that this year was the make or break for the queensland government. If the international side of the event failed then it WOULD NOT be coming back next year. By all accounts it looked like they were trying to find an excuse to stop funding it. It really is a shame as the indy cars were an awesome sight to behold on the gold coast. And man the sound they made still brings asmile to my face thinking about it.
Personally I had the opportunity to go back again this year but I was never interested in seeing the A1 cars.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 23:40 (Ref:2570402)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
SSbaby have to agree. 200,000 out of a potential 300, 000 turned up. Factor in GFC, A1GP debacle, PC Policing and generally negativity before the event started , then that would explain a lot of the dropouts. The real test is when the event becomes a V8Supercar controlled event. I have a feeling certain individuals in the Old Govt would not be happy about that as a result of certain political allegiances
Well Robert from all indications your long held belief that V8's could carry the event have proven wrong. It certainly loses some of the luster along with some of the crowd.

Now I think it could be good event overall but it will likely be hard to pull the same crowds nor attract international exposure.

I'll give you the fact that the economic crisis has hit wallets, whether the general public or the corporates, but still the results stand.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 23:41 (Ref:2570403)   #20
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Honestly haven't paid much attention to Speed channel cause I will have seen all the races long before they got to air in January. Nor do I even check the listings because they have the same old crap on there most of the year.
Interesting how did you do that in the US? As a lot of people who are in the US would like to know?
Quote:
Now I think it could be good event overall but it will likely be hard to pull the same crowds nor attract international exposure.
Guess we have to disagree on that. International exposure? CART/CCWS/ IRL had very little when they ran Surfers. The Queensland Govt thought on the other hand it was making a major impact in the US, which it was not.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 00:19 (Ref:2570424)   #21
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't that article say that "Sports minister Phil Reeves last week said the V8s would be broadcast to 110 countries around the world", i.e. not Cochrane?

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 00:31 (Ref:2570434)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Interesting how did you do that in the US? As a lot of people who are in the US would like to know?

Guess we have to disagree on that. International exposure? CART/CCWS/ IRL had very little when they ran Surfers. The Queensland Govt thought on the other hand it was making a major impact in the US, which it was not.
It always helps to have a lot of good friends downunder.

Well the irl to me could care less about, but CCWS certainly had more exposure in the USA and Europe than V8 SC.

And when CART was in business, the value was even higher than that.

If it comes down to it though, I'd rather have it has a V8SC only race than if the turd burglars from the indy racing league turn up. I'd even go for a formula ford or F3 race instead. In fact i'd rather see ice cream vans and lawn mowers racing than the indy racing league.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 00:49 (Ref:2570443)   #23
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Well the irl to me could care less about, but CCWS certainly had more exposure in the USA and Europe than V8 SC.

And when CART was in business, the value was even higher than that.
Well it was pretty lineball as far as lack of exposure as far as CCWS and V8Supercar went. Although they did untill fairly recently show an edited version of Bathurst on SPEEDTV.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 01:44 (Ref:2570460)   #24
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
Doesn't that article say that "Sports minister Phil Reeves last week said the V8s would be broadcast to 110 countries around the world", i.e. not Cochrane?
Found this quote...here

Quote:
But Premier Anna Bligh was unable to say how many countries received coverage of this year's V8 Supercar-based carnival, but added it was available for broadcast in 110 countries.

"It's not the same footprint as the Indy cars and it's not the same as another potential international event, as the A1s would have been, but it is still a very important international audience,'' Ms Bligh told reporters in Brisbane

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 27 Oct 2009, 01:52 (Ref:2570465)   #25
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
200 K was over FOUR days, with a Governmnet quoted Raceday (Sunday) crowd of 'only' 57,000, could hardly be considered a runaway sucess.

How many do they get at the Clipsal on the Sunday ?

Now if VESA had been doing the promoting/reporting there would have been at least a 25-30% larger crowd ......

I wait with baited breath to see how many/few go to Homebush for the Finale....