Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Jan 2013, 04:38 (Ref:3184951)   #26
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this the end for Ford in V8 Supercars now?
Old 5 Jan 2013, 04:47 (Ref:3184952)   #27
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
I dont think we can read anything into this regarding Ford and their involvement.

Prodrive had already sold out of FPV, this was the natural next step for them.

But with Falcon sales the way they are, you have to wonder about Fords future involvment (just in my opinion no more that what we already were)

On a psoitive side put another team back in Aussie hands
Old 5 Jan 2013, 05:58 (Ref:3184961)   #28
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This recent restructuring within Ford, may well see a resurgence in Falcon sales.

Meanwhile, the buzzards continue to circle over DJR.
Old 5 Jan 2013, 08:22 (Ref:3184984)   #29
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is the Ford Motor Company, not Falcon Motor Company. Falcon manufacturing figures are not relevant.

How many Altimas did Nissan manufacture in Australia last year? Zero.

How many vehicles did Nissan manufacture in Australia last year? Zero.

How many Altimas did they sell in Australia last year? Zero.

How many Altimas will they sell this year? Probably not a lot.

Ford has raced Falcons forever, but it could choose any model to race with to represent the brand. Holden have chosen various models including Monaro, Torana and Commodore.

My guess though is Ford will stick with Falcon/FPV, considering they took over FPV when they could have just as easily killed it off.

Granted, they will never again sponsor half the grid like they once did, but there is no reason they can’t have some involvement. I don’t think they can afford not to, even if they are probably going to be bleeding red (should I say blue?) financially to some extent for a time.
Old 5 Jan 2013, 09:54 (Ref:3185010)   #30
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
Yes........eventually they will wake up to the fact that sooner or later they have to actually win something and not just make up numbers on the grid........winning is now going to be even less likely than it was before and once T8 get a feel for the CoTF Ford will be wasting their time (and dollars) in supercars.
Old 5 Jan 2013, 10:17 (Ref:3185014)   #31
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Yes........eventually they will wake up to the fact that sooner or later they have to actually win something and not just make up numbers on the grid........winning is now going to be even less likely than it was before and once T8 get a feel for the CoTF Ford will be wasting their time (and dollars) in supercars.
Or.......they could just be weak little surrender monkeys & simply give up which seems to be your suggested strategy.

Fords have won races this year & had a strong period right after a period of HRT domination - no reason for it not to happen again if they apply themselves.

To simply give up coz it's hard would be pathetic.
Old 5 Jan 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3185032)   #32
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Or.......they could just be weak little surrender monkeys & simply give up which seems to be your suggested strategy.

Fords have won races this year & had a strong period right after a period of HRT domination - no reason for it not to happen again if they apply themselves.

To simply give up coz it's hard would be pathetic.
The strong period after the HRT domination was created by Geoff Polites and Howard Marsden, they are both gone and the new management don't seem to show a lot of interest. Reality suggests that Ford are wasting their time in this category, they haven't won the championship for two years or Bathurst for three years and things don't look too bright for the future with reports that they will cease manufacturing in Aust in 2016. Why pour millions more dead money into a bottomless pit when they are intending to "get out of town" anyway?
Old 5 Jan 2013, 11:40 (Ref:3185037)   #33
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The strong period after the HRT domination was created by Geoff Polites and Howard Marsden, they are both gone and the new management don't seem to show a lot of interest. Reality suggests that Ford are wasting their time in this category, they haven't won the championship for two years or Bathurst for three years and things don't look too bright for the future with reports that they will cease manufacturing in Aust in 2016. Why pour millions more dead money into a bottomless pit when they are intending to "get out of town" anyway?
I guess that my point of view is that both Howard & Geoff were internal Ford employees (sort of in Howard's case) with drive, vision & commitment. It is in Ford's hands to do the same thing with similar people today - nothing is stopping them - they can develop the solution themselves.

Granted, with the recent parade of dweebs in the racing manager role it does look unlikely but if Ford show commitment & use the right people, they are competing in a parity based series & anything is possible.
Old 5 Jan 2013, 15:51 (Ref:3185111)   #34
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's a glass half empty view bluesport! I'd prefer to wait and see what 2013 brings in terms of results first. And for those thinking that if Ford exit manufacturing in Australia means the end of Ford in V8SC - why??? They will still be in the Oz marketplace, and CoTF will allow them to have a presence on the grid, even if the showroom is full of V6's or fwd's. Refer Nissan for example.

And as Erebus/Merc/AMG has shown, the manufacturer does not necessarily have to commit $$$. If there is a team owner with blue blood prepared to make a go of it in this potentially bleak future, all Ford have to do is support the concept by allowing the body shape and Ford name to be used. Ford dollars would help of course ... as would a TV announcement ... SOON PLEASE!

Last edited by RedZedMikey; 5 Jan 2013 at 15:56.
Old 5 Jan 2013, 20:46 (Ref:3185222)   #35
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
I just can't see any value in private Ford teams that eternally run around at the back of the grid while the T8 juggernaut sweeps all before it.......it's a different case with Nissan because Nissan WANTS to be there, but we don't hear a peep out of Ford.
Old 5 Jan 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3185245)   #36
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
$8m for FPR??

.... according to Mr Fogarty...

Presumably, if of course the noise & whispers out of Campbellfield is correct, that an extended deal with Ford came as part of the departure arrangements with Prodrive, that this might be a pretty good deal....

We shall see
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Jan 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3185246)   #37
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I just can't see any value in private Ford teams that eternally run around at the back of the grid while the T8 juggernaut sweeps all before it.......it's a different case with Nissan because Nissan WANTS to be there, but we don't hear a peep out of Ford.
Where is your logic? A ‘privately’ run team won last year - T8!

If anything I see the change of ownership as a potential plus for FPR as the guy/s who owns the show will be on the shop floor far more often. I reckon that is one of the reasons T8 do so well.

Ford don’t want to put off buyers who think V8 Supercar racing is just for moron petrol heads (plenty do think that), so they don’t go shouting their involvement from the rooftops.

Last edited by Chris - Melb; 5 Jan 2013 at 21:39.
Old 5 Jan 2013, 22:15 (Ref:3185266)   #38
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Q: will it remain as fpr or be renamed to Rod Nash Racing
will car 55 become car 5 or car 6 ?
Old 5 Jan 2013, 22:27 (Ref:3185271)   #39
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The teams best results ever, and they abandon ship.

Guess some people were sick of the lack of results that count (championships and bathursts)
Old 5 Jan 2013, 22:49 (Ref:3185279)   #40
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
$8m for FPR??

.... according to Mr Fogarty...

Presumably, if of course the noise & whispers out of Campbellfield is correct, that an extended deal with Ford came as part of the departure arrangements with Prodrive, that this might be a pretty good deal....

We shall see
Sounds like Mr Nash and Mr French got themselves a bargain. All that gear in the fab shop, at least 4 COTF chassis, 2 or 3 V8SC chassis, a very good engineering team, plus I'm assuming the two RECs, and of course an alleged multi-year extension of the Ford deal.

Honestly, who knows what sort of politicking was going on with Prodrive running the show? Perhaps this is the way forward. We might even see 4 front-running cars, instead of two, plus two cash cows.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 00:09 (Ref:3185310)   #41
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post

Guess some people were sick of the lack of results that count (championships and bathursts)
What?????????????

Prodrive has not entered the first round of the WRC. It could suggest that they may be in serious financial difficulties and selling up assets to stay afloat.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3185312)   #42
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Honestly, who knows what sort of politicking was going on with Prodrive running the show? Perhaps this is the way forward. We might even see 4 front-running cars, instead of two, plus two cash cows.
From the outside I don't think there has been too much wrong with the way they have been going over the last year or so. But there is nothing quite like having the boss (who is paying the bills) on the factory floor to keep people on their toes.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 00:16 (Ref:3185315)   #43
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
my mistake, i was only young at the time, but i had always assumed John French the 1981 bathurst winner was also Rusty French, just assumed it was a nickname.

Still its interesting that at a time Jim Stone is retiring (i assume he is somehwre around 70 (give or take 5) and LP who is only early 60's, that rusty is experimenting with team ownership
Rusty doesnt suffer fools lightly.

Here is a link that gives a bit of background:
http://www.motorsportretro.com/2012/...porsche-93580/
Old 6 Jan 2013, 00:17 (Ref:3185316)   #44
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
What?????????????

Prodrive has not entered the first round of the WRC. It could suggest that they may be in serious financial difficulties and selling up assets to stay afloat.
I think that is what is going on. They don't have the inflow of dollars they had 5 years ago.

The Mini WRC deal was a bit of desperation I think with overly inflated expectations for sales of WRC cars and parts, as well as back from BMW and none of it really panned out that well.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 00:20 (Ref:3185317)   #45
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What?????????????

And would that finacial difficulty be different had they have 4 championships?
Old 6 Jan 2013, 00:39 (Ref:3185328)   #46
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
From the outside I don't think there has been too much wrong with the way they have been going over the last year or so. But there is nothing quite like having the boss (who is paying the bills) on the factory floor to keep people on their toes.
For sure. They were on par with Triple Eight pretty much all year, pace-wise. What let them down the most, were some of the bizarre pit strategies and the like.

I can't see Mr Edwards sticking around under the new regime.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 00:43 (Ref:3185330)   #47
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
FPR were more competitive this year than they have ever been, but they had 2 drivers taking points off each other and they still did their usual strange strategy stuff, admittedly less than in the past. They were definitely best of the rest and really took it to 888 in the first half, I think this is hardly something to be ashamed of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Sounds like Mr Nash and Mr French got themselves a bargain. All that gear in the fab shop, at least 4 COTF chassis, 2 or 3 V8SC chassis, a very good engineering team, plus I'm assuming the two RECs, and of course an alleged multi-year extension of the Ford deal
It does sound like good value, I wonder how much less RECs are worth now than before the sell-down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
The Mini WRC deal was a bit of desperation I think with overly inflated expectations for sales of WRC cars and parts, as well as back from BMW and none of it really panned out that well.
The Mini WRC thing is just really weird, they were very competitive but BMW pulled the pin, I just don't know what went wrong with it.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 00:45 (Ref:3185331)   #48
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Where is your logic? A ‘privately’ run team won last year - T8!

If anything I see the change of ownership as a potential plus for FPR as the guy/s who owns the show will be on the shop floor far more often. I reckon that is one of the reasons T8 do so well.

Ford don’t want to put off buyers who think V8 Supercar racing is just for moron petrol heads (plenty do think that), so they don’t go shouting their involvement from the rooftops.
Australian owned teams (SBR, KR, GRM, BJR etc) have really been struggling trying to mix it with T8. FPR was the best of the rest but now it is going Aussie........will they have the knowledge and resources that T8 seem to have?
Old 6 Jan 2013, 00:46 (Ref:3185332)   #49
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post

Exactly.......well said.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 00:48 (Ref:3185333)   #50
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Australian owned teams (SBR, KR, GRM, BJR etc) have really been struggling trying to mix it with T8. FPR was the best of the rest but now it is going Aussie........will they have the knowledge and resources that T8 seem to have?
Question would have to be how much overseas input has their been recently, and was it ever a success?