Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:13 (Ref:3445094)   #1
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotterer

Rumours doing the rounds, and being reported on Autosport, that Andre Lotterer is close to replacing Kobayashi at Caterham for Spa.

A completely off-the-wall move. The man hasn't tested an F1 car in well over ten years! It doesn't really inspire confidence in what Albers and Kolles are doing. But then again, the Super Formula cars are arguably as close as you'd get to an F1 car, so he has some recent relevant experience. I'd be very intrigued to see how he would get on
Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:18 (Ref:3445098)   #2
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Kobayashi replace Lotterer at Audi then? He'd be mighty in Super Formula...

...anyway, somehow I reckon Albers read Autosport's "Top 50 drivers who never raced F1" feature last year, saw Lotterer's name and thought "if I were a team principal..."
Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3445100)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is an intriguing move. I'd assume that money is at the route of this (I can't imagine that Lotterer will put in a significantly better performance than Kobayashi), but I'm intrigued as to where it is coming from.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:22 (Ref:3445102)   #4
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post

...anyway, somehow I reckon Albers read Autosport's "Top 50 drivers who never raced F1" feature last year, saw Lotterer's name and thought "if I were a team principal..."
I think it's probably more that Lotterer drove Kolle's R10 before his Audi factory days.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:23 (Ref:3445103)   #5
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
I think it's probably more that Lotterer drove Kolle's R10 before his Audi factory days.
Are you telling me that there is a more convincing theory than mine????!!!!!
Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:26 (Ref:3445104)   #6
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Are you telling me that there is a more convincing theory than mine????!!!!!
Well thinking about it, it is Kolles, Albers and Caterham, so your suggestion is probably just as plausible!
Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:27 (Ref:3445105)   #7
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
However, if Kobayashi isn't secure, is Carlos Sainz Jr going to be in the running, or is Kolles looking at prospects from 2001? Seems a little odd that Lotterer is the favourite for this seat, and may even be wanted for this drive.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:29 (Ref:3445106)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
It is an intriguing move. I'd assume that money is at the route of this (I can't imagine that Lotterer will put in a significantly better performance than Kobayashi), but I'm intrigued as to where it is coming from.

Really? I wonder how much those posting here know about Lotterer's performances in an Audi LMP? I wouldn't see the move as 'off the wall' at all. The only thing that would strike me as intriguing is why Lotterer would want to do it. It's hardly an inspiring career move.......
Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:32 (Ref:3445107)   #9
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First reaction to this (not that I think Kobayashi deserves to lose his drive) is quite excited - why not? Lotterer is probably one of the most accomplished drivers in action today who hasn't had an F1 career. He's a top, top driver.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:32 (Ref:3445108)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Absolutely agreed.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:46 (Ref:3445117)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Really? I wonder how much those posting here know about Lotterer's performances in an Audi LMP? I wouldn't see the move as 'off the wall' at all. The only thing that would strike me as intriguing is why Lotterer would want to do it. It's hardly an inspiring career move.......
I've seen Lotterer race in a reasonable number of prototype races over the last few years and wouldn't dispute his talent for a moment. My doubts relating to his likely performance relate to the circumstances that will form the background to this race. Aside from a single test for Toyota, it is over 10 years since Lotterer last regularly drove a F1 car; which is combined with the fact that he will not get to test in advance of Spa, plus the Caterham is hardly a good car. As a consequence, I think he'd be hard pushed to deliver any sort of performance that is better than Kobayashi.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:54 (Ref:3445122)   #12
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMO this speculation is a load of rubbish, because surely TOM'S wouldn't even consider releasing him to race at Spa, and the fact he is second in the championship.

Also the fact his last post on Instagram 11 hours ago says the following:

"Quick stop home in Belgium enjoying my boy Max! Off to Italy tonight for some #Audi R18 action in Misano and then back to Japan for #superformula round 4 in #motegi #busy #busy"
Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:57 (Ref:3445124)   #13
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Interesting story,but whats in it for him beyond being able to say he drove a slow F1 car at Spa?The past link to Kolles might indicate that he could be used as a yardstick to see how much of the stream of poor results might be attributable to the drivers and how much might be the car.A Friday morning session might suffice for that and then they can collect the cash from the usual incumbents for the rest of the weekend.

The recent list in Autosport clearly showed that talent alone has not been enough to get a seat and Lotterer certainly has talent.Pity he can't find a better car in which to display it.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 19:51 (Ref:3445146)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i heard rumours he'd had a seat fitting
Old 18 Aug 2014, 19:58 (Ref:3445149)   #15
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I've seen Lotterer race in a reasonable number of prototype races over the last few years and wouldn't dispute his talent for a moment. My doubts relating to his likely performance relate to the circumstances that will form the background to this race. Aside from a single test for Toyota, it is over 10 years since Lotterer last regularly drove a F1 car; which is combined with the fact that he will not get to test in advance of Spa, plus the Caterham is hardly a good car. As a consequence, I think he'd be hard pushed to deliver any sort of performance that is better than Kobayashi.
Well put. I'd go as far to say that I would fear a Badoer-esque performance.

But as already said, the man has no reason to do this. And Kolles/Albers getting their mates in is no solution to the problems they have.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 20:08 (Ref:3445153)   #16
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
No need to worry about that I think with a car that is already the slowest, and how much slower than Marcus Ericsson could he be?
Old 18 Aug 2014, 20:17 (Ref:3445159)   #17
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post

But as already said, the man has no reason to do this. And Kolles/Albers getting their mates in is no solution to the problems they have.
A potential Badoeresque performance will be completely masked as this is a Caterham.

He's eminently qualified for a backmarker position. If he's in peak physical condition and race sharp, there's an off-chance he could even acquit himself well.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 20:19 (Ref:3445160)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Interesting story,but whats in it for him beyond being able to say he drove a slow F1 car at Spa?The past link to Kolles might indicate that he could be used as a yardstick to see how much of the stream of poor results might be attributable to the drivers and how much might be the car.A Friday morning session might suffice for that and then they can collect the cash from the usual incumbents for the rest of the weekend.

The recent list in Autosport clearly showed that talent alone has not been enough to get a seat and Lotterer certainly has talent.Pity he can't find a better car in which to display it.
Agree on both counts. I certainly believe Lotterer to be a vastly superior choice (probably in any car) to Kobayashi, and just because he's not driven an F1 car for a long time means very little - the car he routinely drives in the WEC is more than likely significantly technically superior and advanced to anything he might jump into at Caterham...

It would be difficult to surprise anyone when driving what we know is a pretty poor car, but I think you can safely take it for granted that a guy who races for Audi regularly in the WEC, drives in the 24 Hours - having won it 3 times in the last 4 years (and will think nothing of doing stints equivalent to more than 2 GPs back to back - as one of the fastest drivers in the category) is probably fit and skilled enough to acquit himself well. But I may be wrong - after all, he's just a sportscar driver....... (Even if the Badoer reference is close to insulting.......).

Last edited by Aysedasi; 18 Aug 2014 at 20:27.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 20:31 (Ref:3445170)   #19
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Max Verstappen is signed for STR next season, why not Lotterer. Certainly a more complete package...
Old 18 Aug 2014, 20:38 (Ref:3445171)   #20
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It has become very difficult in recent years to jump into an F1 car mid season you have not driven before and go quickly judging by the number of drivers who have failed in recent times. It is almost guaranteed end to an F1 carear. Koalinnen was the most recent example.
I can't remember when was the last time a driver jumped into an F1 car mid season with no testing and did not end up with his chances of staying in F1 going downhill fast.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 20:50 (Ref:3445180)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I doubt very much whether Lotterer has aspirations of netting a seat at Caterham on the basis of a good showing at Spa. I simply can't believe that a driver as good as he would be putting his reputation on the line - as others have hinted, if there is any truth in this, there must be surely be some other reason than Andre angling for the Caterham drive.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 20:53 (Ref:3445183)   #22
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I rate Lotterer but surely he has no experience on the tyres, with DRS. Pit stops. Recipe to fail....plus clashes with Toms.

Given the possibility of mixed weather Caterham needs to keep Kobi in the car and concentrate on understanding how to fix the deficiencies in the car. For all their resources its retarded to be behind Murrasia. Remember Bianchi had to hatchet KZobi at Monaco, otherwise Kamui would have bagged the points!
Old 18 Aug 2014, 20:53 (Ref:3445184)   #23
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Why leave Audi for a backmarker team in F1? WEC is the future anyway.
As I said many months ago: IMO Lotterer has as much talent as Vettel, Raikko, Alonso or Rosberg etc. he just didn't get the chance just like Giorgio Pantano.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3445190)   #24
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Agree on both counts. I certainly believe Lotterer to be a vastly superior choice (probably in any car) to Kobayashi, and just because he's not driven an F1 car for a long time means very little - the car he routinely drives in the WEC is more than likely significantly technically superior and advanced to anything he might jump into at Caterham...

It would be difficult to surprise anyone when driving what we know is a pretty poor car, but I think you can safely take it for granted that a guy who races for Audi regularly in the WEC, drives in the 24 Hours - having won it 3 times in the last 4 years (and will think nothing of doing stints equivalent to more than 2 GPs back to back - as one of the fastest drivers in the category) is probably fit and skilled enough to acquit himself well. But I may be wrong - after all, he's just a sportscar driver....... (Even if the Badoer reference is close to insulting.......).
That you think R18 is technically only inferior to a space ship means nothing. He might has well as be jumping to an ancient stock car but he still has no recent experience from exactly that type of car or tyres. Neither is Super Formula a F1 but at least that tells more about driver performance.

Last edited by deggis; 18 Aug 2014 at 21:21.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 21:39 (Ref:3445197)   #25
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I doubt very much whether Lotterer has aspirations of netting a seat at Caterham on the basis of a good showing at Spa. I simply can't believe that a driver as good as he would be putting his reputation on the line - as others have hinted, if there is any truth in this, there must be surely be some other reason than Andre angling for the Caterham drive.
He wouldn't have his reputation on the line. He'd be pretty much anonymous at the back of the grid and his career path post-F1 would be completely unaffected - bar the technical hurdle of getting back on a sportscar rota that follows from having any "career break" - whether it's F1 or otherwise. That shouldn't be a problem for him though.

Like countless of other ex-backmarkers or F1 minnows who have had very successful non-F1 motorsport careers. If Lotterer has an opportunity to get back on the F1 grid, wants it, he should go for it and enjoy himself. He has nothing to lose.