Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 17 Feb 2020, 16:38 (Ref:3958028)   #501
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

Now a bad road though. At least the up hill sections have two lanes - presumably to allow for slow moving trucks.

Approaching the top roundabout on the airport perimeter one can see why there might have been problems. Over the top of the hill and slightly down towards the roundabout .. the control tower is almost directly ahead. So traffic approaching the roundabout at night will be pointing headlights directly at the ATC tower. It's so accurately pointing at the tower that one wonders if it was set up a a deliberate target.

Anyway, for anyone from the north or west there is not a reasonable alternative route to getting to Donington avoiding M1 J24 and the run past the airport to the east and south should that be busy.

Grant - I'm a bit confused....have you transposed your "Now" and "not" ???? I'm not entirely certain of the new road layout so your comments may make sense as is...
Old 17 Feb 2020, 19:59 (Ref:3958059)   #502
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Grant - I'm a bit confused....have you transposed your "Now" and "not" ???? I'm not entirely certain of the new road layout so your comments may make sense as is...
Aghh! Should be "Not".

Thought I had corrected that just after the original post when I also sorted out the extra spacing I always seem to get with Firefox for some reason.

Must have change back again at some point and I didn't notice. Thanks for pointing it out Richard.

Not too much rain here today so the Round-a-pool still exists but the on road flooding has disappeared.

There was someone seemingly testing a silencer deleted moped on the new section earlier (judging by the time it took to go south, up the hill, compared to the time to head north (down the hill).

I hope that does not become a new pass time for some of the locals. It drowned out the sound of the cars at the track.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 06:27 (Ref:3958161)   #503
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Wonder of wonders the Donington relief road has opened........

Anyway, for anyone from the north or west there is now a reasonable alternative route to getting to Donington avoiding M1 J24 and the run past the airport to the east and south should that be busy.

Just a shame that access to the circuit no longer uses the old main entrance.
Grant, after a period where Dr P closed the old main entrance at Donington Park, it is now sign posted as the “East Entrance” and is open to circuit users again.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 09:30 (Ref:3958174)   #504
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a comparison to the costs of the Autosport Show (circa £20 per head and £16 per car for parking) I have just discovered that the ticket price for the Caravan and Motorhome show at the NEC this weekend (don’t ask) is £10 per head and free car parking.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 12:37 (Ref:3958208)   #505
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Grant, after a period where Dr P closed the old main entrance at Donington Park, it is now sign posted as the “East Entrance” and is open to circuit users again.

Ah! Excellent.

Drove past the other day but did not spot that.

I thought that area had simply become a parking area for spare DHL and Parcel Force trailers!

Thanks Andy.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 16:35 (Ref:3958266)   #506
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
EV Discussion moved here. https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154979
Old 18 Feb 2020, 16:47 (Ref:3958272)   #507
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Thank you, Peter.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 17:27 (Ref:3958280)   #508
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a follow up to the Autosport Article I posted here is a video by Masters themselves talking about the Pre 66 GT and Touring Car Grids along with the upcoming season, regulation changes and so on.

https://youtu.be/vj1ZLsYXmEE

Interesting bit about the Daytona Cobras domination and success points. Enjoy although a bit of a plan to what the two of them talk about would be nice as I forgot how many times Ron and Mark talked about the formers stomach width and driver talent.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 19:47 (Ref:3958314)   #509
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Speaking of Autosport, they're reporting a drop in the number of race meetings. BRSCC and BARC in particular have canned some single day meetings, preferring to spread the financial load over two days.

How long before the historic market has to bite the bullet? Autosport says it's been campaigning for this for 40 years!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 19 Feb 2020, 10:16 (Ref:3958447)   #510
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scams .

Got a new one this morning , EMail from " TESCO BANK " , telling me that it is important to re register my I Phone or whatever .
This one seems to come from GR , which I guess is Greece .Haven,t seen this one before , so has anyone else seen it .

Over the last month or so I have had Amazon Prime , TV Licence , NI Number ,
all scams .

None of them have been as funny as some of the old Nigerian ones which were sometimes so unbelievable it made you wonder if there was anyone out there so stupid as to actually fall for them .
Old 19 Feb 2020, 10:59 (Ref:3958457)   #511
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
None of them have been as funny as some of the old Nigerian ones which were sometimes so unbelievable it made you wonder if there was anyone out there so stupid as to actually fall for them .
They only exist, and continue, because people fall for them.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 11:09 (Ref:3958463)   #512
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Scams .

Got a new one this morning , EMail from " TESCO BANK " , telling me that it is important to re register my I Phone or whatever .
This one seems to come from GR , which I guess is Greece .Haven,t seen this one before , so has anyone else seen it .

Over the last month or so I have had Amazon Prime , TV Licence , NI Number ,
all scams .

Didn't Polly Toynbee fall for a Nigerian one? Couldn't have happened to a nicer person....
Old 20 Feb 2020, 10:35 (Ref:3958692)   #513
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Just reading a 1976 Ford book and found a pic of a surprise competition car- Mk4 Zodiac! And it’s Autocrossing......

From memory of a local farmer that had two- one for him and one for his son- the standard struts would last about a week!
Old 20 Feb 2020, 12:31 (Ref:3958725)   #514
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've always fancied a Mk111 Zodiac racecar as my Dad had one for eight years whilst I was growing up.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 12:39 (Ref:3958733)   #515
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
I've always fancied a Mk111 Zodiac racecar as my Dad had one for eight years whilst I was growing up.
Well, there must be an ex Alan Mann Zodiac knocking around somewhere!
Old 20 Feb 2020, 12:43 (Ref:3958734)   #516
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Pretty sure (well very sure but not searched for a link) the MK4 was used for FF Developments work on 4WD.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 13:03 (Ref:3958741)   #517
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Well, there must be an ex Alan Mann Zodiac knocking around somewhere!
I'm sure there is and that I will find it one day
Old 20 Feb 2020, 13:38 (Ref:3958748)   #518
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
I'm sure there is and that I will find it one day

Who knew- FF 2.5pi Estate...... https://www.aronline.co.uk/news/news...n-switzerland/
Old 20 Feb 2020, 13:41 (Ref:3958749)   #519
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Pretty sure (well very sure but not searched for a link) the MK4 was used for FF Developments work on 4WD.
The Mk4 was certainly available with the FF 4x4 conversion and from memory, I believe that the Autocross car was such a beast. (Of course, similar mechanicals were later used in the Rallycross 4x4 Capri's for the Clark brothers & Rod Chapman).
Old 20 Feb 2020, 15:58 (Ref:3958772)   #520
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
A very quick internet search has shown that 22 Mk4 Zephyr V6's were converted by Ferguson to 4x4 spec for the Police (I had a feeling there was a Police connection somewhere). However, it was quickly rendered obsolete by the arrival of the original Range Rover.

The prototype Zephyr still exists & has recently passed through Brightwell's hands. Another car is now in a Ford collection in the US & has even featured in a movie there.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 18:24 (Ref:3958801)   #521
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

That was what sprang to what passes for my mind when I saw your first post about it I remember thinking back in the day that it was a heck of a big beast for autocross...........
Old 21 Feb 2020, 08:43 (Ref:3958934)   #522
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I wonder when the "Wet Wood Police" will be around to arrest me
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Feb 2020, 09:49 (Ref:3958960)   #523
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
With a wide or narrow Zephyr?
Old 21 Feb 2020, 09:50 (Ref:3958961)   #524
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
How much wet wood can you get in the back of a Farnham estate?

The Alan Mann Zodiac will no doubt appear in Chichester one day, it was a bronze/gold colour. I have a colour photo of it somewhere on my PC
Old 21 Feb 2020, 11:58 (Ref:3958990)   #525
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I wonder when the "Wet Wood Police" will be around to arrest me
No Gordan, don't worry about the Scuffers, your problem will be Greater Thunderbug turning up harangue you, or even to castigate you at the UN. After swimming the Atlantic to get there of course.