Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Dec 2020, 06:56 (Ref:4022120)   #1
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supercars Broadcast Shakeup!

I thought this may warrant it’s own thread.

With channel 7 reportedly trying “dumb down” (for lack of a better phrase), the telecast next year for the non enthusiasts, are they killing it for the us, the very people who love the details?

We’ve so far lost Rhiana, Murph, and now Larko, plus the fact that Cromley is yet to be confirmed. Haven’t heard about Andrew Jones or Lowndes either.

The only confirmations are Skaife & Charli Robinson (granted, she is a rev head, but still).

I for one am gutted about all of this, if anyone can convert hardcore racing terminology and convert it to the masses, it’s Crompton & Larko.

And whilst there a some other excellent motorsport commentators out there, does this mean that they won’t be in consideration for the same reasons?

I thought the crew of the last couple of years have been exceptional (although I miss Ingall’s tell it like it is view).

Hey they stuffed one of the most important parts of the telecast before the ‘21 season has started?

Just my thought..
Old 11 Dec 2020, 17:25 (Ref:4022209)   #2
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Maggo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will not renew my Superview subscription.
In my opinion, Skaife was the weak point of the team.
But it looks like all but Skaife will be replaced. Clearly the wrong direction for me
Old 12 Dec 2020, 00:37 (Ref:4022271)   #3
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan View Post
I thought this may warrant it’s own thread.

With channel 7 reportedly trying “dumb down” (for lack of a better phrase)
Why do you think it’s channel 7 who want to dumb it down?
Old 12 Dec 2020, 01:58 (Ref:4022281)   #4
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Supercars does the production in-house.

Sure, the networks influence who's on the team, I doubt they're making the bigger calls.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 03:10 (Ref:4022285)   #5
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do wonder if a few of these reporters may have also priced them self out of the market as well.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 06:00 (Ref:4022291)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You'd have to wonder that, but it's a bold move given the fragile economic climate.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 06:26 (Ref:4022294)   #7
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Opinion piece from Crusher in Speedcafe re removing Larko.
Can't argue with any of it - and he suggests that James Warburton at 7 is unlikely to admit it but likely had at least a hand in the decision. Given the amount of "stuff" going on between 7 and Cricket, Warburton seems to have plenty of strong opinions on details and it's fair to say that if 7 wanted Larko there, he would be.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 06:54 (Ref:4022297)   #8
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The advice at the end of the piece is very good advice IMO. Who of last years team would you most like to site down and have a beer with? by a country mile Larko.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 07:20 (Ref:4022298)   #9
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
2 words : Mark Beretta

Shudders !!!!!!!
Old 12 Dec 2020, 07:42 (Ref:4022299)   #10
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought Larko was only in pit lane to document Scotty's Supercar career? With Scotty no longer around...
Old 12 Dec 2020, 08:23 (Ref:4022303)   #11
Umai Naa
Veteran

Nah, it was David Reynolds first, but more recently it's been Mr de Pasquale.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 09:30 (Ref:4022304)   #12
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
2 words : Mark Beretta

Shudders !!!!!!!
I trust that is not an answer to the "Who would you like to have a beer with question."
Old 12 Dec 2020, 13:33 (Ref:4022349)   #13
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
I always thought Larko was only in pit lane to document Scotty's Supercar career? With Scotty no longer around...
Old 14 Dec 2020, 01:36 (Ref:4022788)   #14
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
According to this AA article, there is more change to come with Cromley not definite and possibly unlikely.

For sure there's younger talent - Chad Neylon is a standout, Matt Naulty OK but not as good as Chad but it's a very big call to remove both Larko and Cromley IMHO.

On the question of 7 involvement in the Larko decision, Mr Fogarty is laying that very strongly at 7's door.

Most of us don't deal well with change but it appears that's what we'll have in 2021.
Old 14 Dec 2020, 02:09 (Ref:4022791)   #15
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I could live without Crompton. We all coped when he was out of the box at various times over the years when he was driving.

Although no-one will ever match is pronunciation of "Falcon" from his ABC days.

He has certainly had a long career with stints with the ABC, SBS, Seven, Ten and Fox.
Old 14 Dec 2020, 03:11 (Ref:4022794)   #16
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
On the question of 7 involvement in the Larko decision, Mr Fogarty is laying that very strongly at 7's door.
Surely old mate Warburton isn't into settling scores? What did Larko say to him all those years ago?
Old 14 Dec 2020, 03:32 (Ref:4022796)   #17
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Name:  hi five.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  10.2 KB

The new opening credit for C 7
Old 14 Dec 2020, 04:56 (Ref:4022802)   #18
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post

Which is interesting given the limited amount of coverage 7 has.

You’d think Foxtel would have much more say given they are showing everything
Old 14 Dec 2020, 05:18 (Ref:4022805)   #19
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Which is interesting given the limited amount of coverage 7 has.

You’d think Foxtel would have much more say given they are showing everything
You would wouldn't you? Clearly not the case as Foxtel needed to say "no" to one of the other presenter choices that 7 made, according to the article.

Maybe 7 is tipping in more loot or maybe 7 is simply more fussy - or maybe Warbo just likes to settle scores from the past, who knows?
Old 14 Dec 2020, 07:34 (Ref:4022809)   #20
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If it turns out that the prize idiot the Warbler is behind this, I will delete all channels associated with C7 from my TV, hasn't he done enough damage to this series already.
Old 14 Dec 2020, 12:10 (Ref:4022869)   #21
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fireing Mark Larkham WHAT WERE THEY THINKING OFF
Old 14 Dec 2020, 12:57 (Ref:4022874)   #22
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given how much hate the decision has generated good luck to whomever ends up on the commentary team....
Old 14 Dec 2020, 12:58 (Ref:4022875)   #23
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reinstate him with a public appology
Old 14 Dec 2020, 17:35 (Ref:4022932)   #24
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Auto Action -

"However, we’ve heard Seven wants to involve AFL figures in the coverage, which would work with its Aussie Rules partnership with Fox Sports."

I'm getting real pre-Fox Albert Park GP vibes. Maybe they could grab Kochie and use him to interview stars from Home and Away etc?

Another idea that's got great synergy, why don't we forget about manufacturers/major sponsors and name each Supercar team after an AFL team. Instead of Triple 8 Race Engineering (too technical) they'll be the Brisbane Lions Racers. During the races halftime (yes, add a halftime, more synergy) you could have players from the AFL teams kick goals - any misses equal a drive through penalty for the corresponding team.

Another thing Supercars is lacking in is Sports betting information. Let's bring that into the mix, talk about AFL odds too, of course

Last edited by Compromised; 14 Dec 2020 at 17:55.
Old 14 Dec 2020, 19:16 (Ref:4022957)   #25
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
From Auto Action -

"However, we’ve heard Seven wants to involve AFL figures in the coverage, which would work with its Aussie Rules partnership with Fox Sports."

I'm getting real pre-Fox Albert Park GP vibes. Maybe they could grab Kochie and use him to interview stars from Home and Away etc?

Another idea that's got great synergy, why don't we forget about manufacturers/major sponsors and name each Supercar team after an AFL team. Instead of Triple 8 Race Engineering (too technical) they'll be the Brisbane Lions Racers. During the races halftime (yes, add a halftime, more synergy) you could have players from the AFL teams kick goals - any misses equal a drive through penalty for the corresponding team.

Another thing Supercars is lacking in is Sports betting information. Let's bring that into the mix, talk about AFL odds too, of course
Saw that, made me feel quite ill, have less than zero interest in the AFL, its "personalities" and don't mention betting.