Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Jul 2003, 12:43 (Ref:652104)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Lola-MG

One for the engineers...

It's pretty clear that the MG-Lola EX257 (or Lola-MG B01/60, in customer guise) is extremely quick but hobbled by unreliability. I've heard it said more than once that one of the problems is the enormous load being placed on a small, four-cylinder engine; so here's the thing. Would it be possible (and/or desirable) for a customer to run a Lola B01/60 with a larger, normally-aspirated six-cylinder powerplant?
Old 4 Jul 2003, 12:54 (Ref:652173)   #2
hartham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corsham, Wiltshire
hartham has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't think so, the chassis has probably only been designed for the lighter weight engine and is a little fragile....
Old 4 Jul 2003, 14:06 (Ref:652337)   #3
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I would think the all up weight of the AER engine and ancillaries would start to rival or maybe eclipse an atmo V6, which wouldn't have all the manifolding, intercoolers, turbos units, additional cooling capacity etc.

You would sacrifice power, but probably end up with with an easier to run package (I wouldn't want one of the JPX engines however. They seem to less reliable then the MG package!)

I think you would have to totally reengineer from the bulkhead back, you would change aero and weight distribution.

Buy a courage instead.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 14:33 (Ref:652374)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Literally everything I have read about this Lola chassis indicates that the changes behind the driver would have to be extensive if the engine were changed...

Everything in that car's design had been tailored to fit around that powerplant and there is no room back there to go with another power option without revising it...a lot...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 4 Jul 2003, 16:39 (Ref:652464)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the MG-Lola is raced for class wins, it has proved pretty reliable. When it is pushed to the limit lap after lap in the pursuit of overall wins, the cracks, and limitations of an LMP675 begin to show.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 18:21 (Ref:652584)   #6
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
JAG, you are correct, the MG/Lola has gone well when not pushed beyond it's limits. Honestly, I think the Audi's would crumble if run the way the MG's were at Le Mans in 01 and 02.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 21:55 (Ref:654230)   #7
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah JAG, you hit it right on. Intersport has had true success with that car because of the goal in mind. They had as much a shot as anybody else for the class win at Le Mans. The factory team and Dyson want the David and Goliath tale, but there is just not enough car. I think Dyson can pull one off by the end of the year. The next race is a twisty one, I think that's the knid of environment the little thing needs.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 8 Jul 2003, 16:39 (Ref:655983)   #8
Waco Racer
Rookie

Waco Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fastest race lap for Infineon was set by Intersport in their Lola/Mg. This might be the best chance for that car to get an overall win.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 22:22 (Ref:656301)   #9
Kurt Maxwell
Racer

Kurt Maxwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what does Dyson do now? Winning the LMP light class is not what he signed up for.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 23:14 (Ref:656356)   #10
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Lets wait for a race or two before deciding that the Dyson effort is unsuccessful - Those guys have a habit of surprising us all from tome to time
Old 9 Jul 2003, 00:52 (Ref:656401)   #11
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing as how they did what they did for as long as they did with the MkIIIa i really wouldn't be surprised to see them pop off a couple wins this season. I don't think it really matters what track either; Road America could be just as likely as Infineon. After all, the little Lolas were faster on the straightaway at Road Atlanta than the Audis (at least they were at PLM '02...I'm not sure about the Chevy Grand Prix) so they could pull an upset at any of the remaining tracks, in my opinion.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 06:26 (Ref:656512)   #12
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I watched a tape of the ALMS race in Atlanta last night and other than the restart problem in the pit the Weaver / Leitzinger car ran faultlessly and was challenging for the lead. They may be close to an overall win especially in the shorter races.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 07:36 (Ref:656563)   #13
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's what I'm saying, shorter races. With all the seat time Chris Dyson has been getting, the #20 car has a great chance as well.

Danhx, I get what you're saying, and it's definately true, but I truly believe the power of the R8 will be too much for the Lola to contend with. They have proven to be fast straight liners, but look at the cost.

What would do my heart even better, an Intersport overall win. The Audi can break (very rare), and we've seen lots of R8s spin out. If Intersport can get there to capitalize on something like this, the outside chance becomes definate reality.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller