Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Sep 2018, 14:52 (Ref:3853519)   #76
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
The graphic showed R1 results. Josh Cook will start from pole.
I guess the guy who normally does the graphics is off sick. The Ginettas earlier had half a grid of Clios. Which would be a brilliant mixed class race to watch.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 14:55 (Ref:3853521)   #77
HopAlong
Racer

HopAlong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats to Turkington, but how more exciting would it have been if Cammish had kept that penalty though.

One thing the whole of motor racing needs to look at is consistency of penalties and stewards decisions.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 15:01 (Ref:3853524)   #78
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turks winning title with a single victory in the season. Did it happen in the past? Probably years ago. Still Turkington deserves it as he was the one who could make everything out of different situations, not having the fastest car. I think the championship battle would look more exciting without performance weights but that's my opinion after all.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3853536)   #79
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
They certainly got away with this one I'd still like an actual explanation on it, because jump starts don't tend to be post-race.
Tim and David in commentary referred to the penalty being appealed as it was something to do with a persons opinion, when it should be fact. This is confusing to me as in motor racing certain officials will be appointed judges of fact and they can’t appeal their decisions. The fact it went to being decided post race also seems strange.

But we’ll done Turkington!

So he won it with 23 points gap, which in theory could end up as a 1 point gap later after Race three. That’s how much the BTCC can swing!
Old 30 Sep 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3853541)   #80
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Back home after leaving during yet another safety car as it was getting cold and championship now decided, on way home heard about formula fraud, what a massive difference from the unpredictable BTCC to find that a race series is all about the fastest drivers in the fastest cars racing for victory. Will watch the porkers and final round on itv 4.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 16:05 (Ref:3853543)   #81
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Tim and David in commentary referred to the penalty being appealed as it was something to do with a persons opinion, when it should be fact. This is confusing to me as in motor racing certain officials will be appointed judges of fact and they can’t appeal their decisions.
According to the BTCC regs the BTCC Clerk can overrule the judges of fact when it comes to start infringements.

What it doesn't say anywhere that I could see is what part of the car has to be in the grid "box". That was the issue as far as I understand it. Cammish had his front end over the line but his front wheels behind it. As Tim says as far as he is concerned the whole car has to be behind the line but from what I can see there's nothing anywhere that actually states that as a rule.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 16:26 (Ref:3853548)   #82
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That makes sense, the special BTCC Rules strike again!

It does seem a grey area with grid boxes, I am sure I’ve seen plenty of cars start with wheels where Dans were.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 16:46 (Ref:3853551)   #83
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
That makes sense, the special BTCC Rules strike again!

It does seem a grey area with grid boxes, I am sure I’ve seen plenty of cars start with wheels where Dans were.
It wasn't so Black & White in F1, as Vettel demonstrated.

In this example it seems that the same grey area existed and Cammish exploited that (whether deliberate or not).
Old 30 Sep 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3853554)   #84
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a final race. Great way to close the season.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3853556)   #85
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Josh Cook 😶
Old 30 Sep 2018, 17:19 (Ref:3853558)   #86
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awesome last race, when Cook is good he’s very very good but Ash deserved that.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 17:21 (Ref:3853560)   #87
SR18
Rookie

SR18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ridiculous perfomance from BMW this weekend. Great, that Colin won the championship but he was nowhere today. What happened?
Old 30 Sep 2018, 17:25 (Ref:3853562)   #88
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands GP isn't a great track for the BMW. In traffic it can't really go anywhere.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3853563)   #89
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly the fashion in which Colin got the title seems pretty miserable. Okay, it's all about points and he scored the most and was super consistent but it still looks strange.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 17:32 (Ref:3853565)   #90
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
Brands GP isn't a great track for the BMW. In traffic it can't really go anywhere.
Jordan did OK. Turks I think was probably enjoying it as much as possible rather than pushing as hard as he could, deservingly so'l!
Old 30 Sep 2018, 17:35 (Ref:3853566)   #91
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Honestly the fashion in which Colin got the title seems pretty miserable. Okay, it's all about points and he scored the most and was super consistent but it still looks strange.
Still think Ingram was the better driver this season and should've got if not for tons of bad luck, but Turkington never put a wheel wrong. To get those kind of results - especially in a car that they knew wasn't the fastest - is very, very impressive.

The subdued celebrations probably also contributed to that feeling.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 17:48 (Ref:3853570)   #92
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember that Colin, and his family, suffered a massive personal loss this year, which will have had an effect.
Also, this is his third championship, which is thoroughly deserved, but doing something for the third time is unlikely to produce he excessive celebrations you'd have from a first time winner.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 17:51 (Ref:3853571)   #93
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I kinda have a feeling that retirement may be on the horizon.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 17:55 (Ref:3853575)   #94
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be a shame, but after racing for over 20 years he may want to 'spend more time with his family'.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 17:58 (Ref:3853576)   #95
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's too young to retire. The celebrations are subdued for good reason. He lost his mother and WSR lost their chief truckie and their chief mechanic was also seriously ill, so it's more of a feeling of relief than joy I suppose. Plenty more titles and records to aim for.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 18:00 (Ref:3853577)   #96
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Mid 30s isn't too young for a multiple champion racing driver who'd make a tidy living doing driver coaching. Remember he also said if he doesn't know if he's continuing with BMW next year.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 18:05 (Ref:3853580)   #97
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Mid 30s isn't too young for a multiple champion racing driver who'd make a tidy living doing driver coaching. Remember he also said if he doesn't know if he's continuing with BMW next year.
Can't say I see it happening, but travelling over from NI for every race can't help!
Old 30 Sep 2018, 18:07 (Ref:3853581)   #98
Matt K
Veteran

I don't think he'll be thinking of retirement very soon unless team/sponsorship situation forces him to do so. He's only 36, comparing him to Plato, Neal or Collard he's still wet behind the ears!
Old 30 Sep 2018, 18:15 (Ref:3853585)   #99
HopAlong
Racer

HopAlong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great race and proof that the tyre and weight isn't really needed. I feel as if the 75kg opposed to the 45kg creates a lot of overtaking but not a lot of great racing. I find battles like the Cook/Sutton one way better than a heavy car on the wrong tyres dropping down the order, or light car just drive thought the field. It was just great to see a bunch of cars with different strengths and weakness instead of seeing the top guys in the championship yo-yo up and down the order as their cars are massively hindered one minute and advantaged the next.

They should have one or the other when it comes to weight and tyres now that the field is so close.

Don't mind that Colin only got one win, I think the boost cut under a certain rpm and extra 30kgs really hurt the BMW. I guess its kind of hard to win when you are 105kgs heavier that some of the cars around you don't forget.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 18:32 (Ref:3853590)   #100
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
- Under floor item removed
- Ballast box forced to re-locate
- Extra 30kg base weight
- Mandatory longer 1st gear
- Boost cut below 120kph

Those are just the things we know about to slow down the BMW, however despite all that, he did it and I have to say because of that, this must be his sweetest victory yet. I know there were sad personal circumstance surrounding his year and his thoughts are probably more with that, however the manner in which he has won it has been phenomenal, despite having a much slower car.