Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 16 Aug 2002, 18:15 (Ref:359289)   #1
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andretti SURE to defect (& Good Riddance!)

excerpts from autoweek article on Mikey
"When the Andretti-Green deal was announced in July, Andretti said he wasn't even sure if he'd be driving next season. Now he's almost certain he'll be in one of his cars. Where would he LIKE to race? Andretti pauses before he answers.
``To be honest I don't know, because at this point I'm not sure where CART is going to be next year,'' he says. ``If I knew for sure that CART was going to survive, I'd want to be here.''
Are there any guarantees in racing?
``There's a guarantee that there is going to be an IRL,'' Andretti says. ``You can't guarantee that there's going to be a CART. That's the biggest problem I have now.''
Does Andretti feel loyalty to a series where he's accumulated $18 million in race earnings? Which welcomed him back a star in 1994, after an abortive partial season in Formula One? ``I can say that my heart is with CART, because I love the basic principals of CART, the concept, the format,'' he says. ``But whose to say that if it comes back to one open-wheel series, it won't be the same format three or four years down the road?
``I have to be careful, because I don't want to be misunderstood. But I feel there were times I was used--that I didn't get my fair share, like when they went public and the owners got very wealthy and not just me, but all the drivers, got nothing. The whole deal was sold on the drivers and the drivers got zero. To say that I got wealthy off CART is not fair. The owners got wealthier off us.
``If there wasn't a CART I'd have been racing somewhere else. It was open-wheel racing, not CART. I think together we did well. But to say I owe CART something, I don't think so. It's not going to be an issue (in making decisions), no.''
Just go, you ingratefull, Ever Whining Punk.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 18:26 (Ref:359295)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear, Mikey's only a millionaire not a billionaire and I'm supposed to feel sorry for him ... sorry, Mikey, I just can't work up any tears today.

If you think you're going to get rich in the Invisible Racing League, let me remind you that the only people making any money in that league are the ones being subsidized by He Who Must Be Destroyed.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 18:32 (Ref:359296)   #3
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All Mikey wants to do is win the Indy 500, he came soo close on many occasions, i think it would be nice for him to win it!

he has nothing left to prove in CART! (that also means he has nothing left to prove in the EARL)
Old 16 Aug 2002, 18:44 (Ref:359300)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"...I feel there were times I was used--that I didn't get my fair share, like when they went public and the owners got very wealthy and not just me, but all the drivers, got nothing..."

Ahh..boohoohoo... He sounds like a baseball player!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 16 Aug 2002, 19:14 (Ref:359313)   #5
Rachel
Rookie

Rachel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I don't want to be misunderstood." Oh don't worry - you're coming across loud and clear. And it's repulsive.

I wonder what Mario has to say...
Old 16 Aug 2002, 19:24 (Ref:359324)   #6
Dave S
Racer

I'm also sure his sponsor (Motorola) is THRILLED that he spewed this rancid mess just prior to their sponsored race weekend.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 19:32 (Ref:359331)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Like I said, he sounds like one of the greedy baseball players that think their 5 million/year is not enough for playing a few games and not giving a **** about the fans.

If this is his attitude toward racing and his fans, I can't see why ANY series would want him. He should just retire while people still remember who's son he is.

Last edited by Jay; 16 Aug 2002 at 19:34.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 16 Aug 2002, 19:33 (Ref:359333)   #8
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's no wonder that PT & Dario are in such a hurry to bail out!
Old 16 Aug 2002, 19:46 (Ref:359337)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Every time I saw his picture at Mid Ohio all i could think of was that this man has a look like he could care less about being in racing. Like he was just bored with the racing, bored with the appearances/PR and he just wanted to be anywhere else but there! I hope he enjoys the IRL. Maybe TG can fix him like he fixed Barry at the Inconsquential 500 next May. "Sorry Mikey, but the decision of the Race Steward is not subject to appeal..."
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 20:47 (Ref:359387)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just hope everyone who thinks signing Andretti to the IRL is a real coup will realise their mistake when they see this. He's a vindictive ungrateful swine, so him and TG is a match made in heaven.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 01:58 (Ref:359546)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That whole interview just shows what a greedy pig Andretti is. Anyway, the series would be better off without the old fart, but it would be sad to lose another two cars, but the series will get them back.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 02:04 (Ref:359548)   #12
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Why the hell would ANY driver want to race in IRL? I just can not understand why anyone would, it's bloody hopeless, slower, less quality drivers, worse tracks, less fans...guess money comes before all that.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 03:41 (Ref:359571)   #13
Dave S
Racer

Well, theres the 10 Mil Honda will pay him to move to the Iresponsible Reject Leftovers. Plus, TG will undoubtable pay him out of his own pocket as well to augment 'Lil Opiate'. He'll probably also name a road in the IMS Retirees Trailer Park for him as well. He's so poor & all.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 03:43 (Ref:359572)   #14
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn traitor. I hope Red Bull puts Mario in charge of whatever team they back next season, now that he's not attached to any other CART teams.

Just what was Tony George's winning bid for your soul, Michael?

Have fun in driving in circles, you lousy has-been. You'll be losing there too!
Attached Images

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 17 Aug 2002 at 03:52.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 07:53 (Ref:359604)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly, i will say that i am a great fan of CART, and really hope the series survives, which at the moment looks promising, at the same time, i am also a big fan of the IRL, i follow both series with great interest.

Firstly, can you blame Michael's decision if he does go. His situation is similiar to Penske, he owns the team, and has sponser's willing to pay for his team to race rather than he having to put some money into it. He has Honda willing to pay for the IRL, meaning all the development of the Honda engine will go to him first, plus his current sponser's are so far undecided for next year.

Also, whether we like it or not, there is an air of uncertainty about CART next year. Sure, the series will go ahead, but what will the quality be like, teams like Ganassi, Newman-Haas and Players Forsythe will be there, but what about the rest. Sure we have heard about more teams joining, but where are they, i know it is only August, but if it was being talked about before, why not now?

Surely also the IRL bashing can stop. There is no problem with not liking the series and having no interest in it, but what is constant bashing going to do? The series isn't going to go away.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 09:57 (Ref:359640)   #16
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The IRL may go away but only after TG destroys CART. If what I have read is true its costing Tony 80 Million! a year to keep the show on the road and once CART disappears 9and I hope it doesn't ) do you think tony is going to keep throwing money at? No way.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 14:58 (Ref:359764)   #17
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael is an arse for giving the team an aweful name. If he really wants to kiss IRL's balls, then he is very welcome.

Just as long as Tracy and Franchitti remain in CART, I'll be happy.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 15:08 (Ref:359773)   #18
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
This isn't about the IRL... It's about a driver that has quite openly said "I'm not rich enough, even though I have many millions, so I'm going to take a big bag of money and drive around in circles for the rest of my career"

SEriously, why would anyone want a driver with this attitude in their series?
Old 17 Aug 2002, 16:34 (Ref:359808)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Jay and others who have said that this isn't about WHERE Mikey goes to drive, but the fact that he thinks they're not paying him ENOUGH to drive.

Kenny Wildeon of Canada has not driven a race car in 2 years because he has no money. Yesterday he was put in Justin Bell's Trans Am car and put it on the pole. Here is a man who DESERVES to be bankrolled by somebody who wants to see a good man succeed, and he would reward whoever backed him with good results and whatever else they wanted from him. Why would anybody choose to throw more money at a greedy gut like Mikey and ignore someone who really wants to race and has proved he can?

If you saw the Autosport cartoon in which Mario is shown whacking Mikey and telling him "You re not going to play in the IRL, young man!" it is time for Mario to whack him again and add, "And you are ****ing rich enough!"
Old 17 Aug 2002, 17:01 (Ref:359818)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
What she said.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 17:17 (Ref:359826)   #21
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Releative to other "American" professional sports I don't think that any of the drivers in CART get paid enough for what they do. Granted they all do extremely well compared to you and I but, and not in defense of Michael's comments, it has taken Michael 20 years to accumulate what many basketball, baseball, and football players get paid in a year.

I beleive he has a point about many owners, like Penske, taking the company public then grabbing the cash and hitting the high road at the drivers ultimate expense. They took a lot of cash, crushed the series they once had, and left the lot for Chris Pook to clean up.

I wish Micheal would learn, at the very least, to just go about his business and keep his mouth shut. I long for the days when you'd here a guy like Emerson Fittipaldi say; "I'd race if they didn't pay me. I just love to drive."
Old 17 Aug 2002, 17:51 (Ref:359841)   #22
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz: what Autosport issue was that in?
Old 17 Aug 2002, 20:35 (Ref:359908)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
What Andretti is saying:
"But to say I owe CART something, I don't think so."

What Andretti should be saying:
"But to say I owe my fans something, well, I owe them everything."
Old 17 Aug 2002, 21:00 (Ref:359916)   #24
Liz
Veteran

I don't care how long it took Andretti to get to the point where he (who is younger than I am) makes 200 times as much money as I'll ever see in my life. When I was growing up, Greed and Avarice were two of the Seven Deadly Sins and people who concentrated their thoughts on whether they had more money than other people were considered vulgar and without class.

I have never heard Mario say that the world owes him a billion dollars.

And I remember hearing Michael Alboretto, may he rest in peace, say that same thing that Fittipaldi said. "I will race for nothing -- just let me race."

If Michael Andretti thinks we ought to pay him more money because he continues to breathe, then he better not hold his breath. Michael Andretti is an Ugly American in the classic sense of the word. And I am ashamed of him.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 21:06 (Ref:359924)   #25
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
It's a good thing you were mentioning the driver by name, Liz. Otherwise I might not have known if you were talking about Michael or Jacques. Too bad it's more of a business than a sport.

Last edited by macdaddy; 17 Aug 2002 at 21:07.