Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 27 Oct 2004, 09:38 (Ref:1137515)   #1
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2005 British F3 Calendar

Well hear it is the 2005 calendar -

April 2-3 - Donington Park GP
April 16-17 - Spa
TBA (May) - Croft
May 21-22 - Knockhill
June 11-12 - Thruxton
June 25-26 - Castle Combe
July 9-10 - Monza
August 13-14 - Silverstone GP
Sept 3-4 - Nurburgring
Sept 17-18 - Mondello Park
October 8-9 - Silverstone Int.

So what do we all reckon then? I think it's an excellent calendar! I'm disappointed from a personal point of view that Oulton Park isn't on there with it being my local circuit but apart from that I think its a fantastic calendar! The fact that we now race on 4 active Grand Prix circuits should make us more desirable and a real rival to the Euroseries!

Putting together a decent support package to run alongside side the series' must now be the next big task. But looking at it the away rounds will run alongside the LMES which should be a good crowd draw.

Mondello Park is a fantastic addition and well worth the trip for anyone who's thinking about it! Throughlly recommended!
Old 27 Oct 2004, 10:03 (Ref:1137540)   #2
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nürburgring? i'll be there!
Old 27 Oct 2004, 10:22 (Ref:1137558)   #3
BarryCrocker
Rookie

BarryCrocker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im very dissappionted!!! Ive just finished my annual stand up tour of Wales only to find on my return that Pembrey has once again failed to make the calender, you would think that, as all the teams spend so much time here, they must love it, i can only think that they are also dissappointed, and have no say in where they race! It is supposed to be the British F3 championship, Scotland and Ireland both have a race as well as England, once again its a real insult to the Welsh!!!
Old 27 Oct 2004, 10:30 (Ref:1137565)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Forgive me for sounding thick, but if this is the British F3 series and not the Euro series, why do you have races in Belgium, Italy and Germany?
Old 27 Oct 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1137590)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the "European" races are ludicrous and will be the death-knell of the series.

I understand why they've been scheduled, but why would anyone now do this series rather than the Euroseries?

It will just make British F3 seem second class.

10 dates would have done, scrub Nurburgring and Monza and go to Rockingham and Pembrey instead.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 11:10 (Ref:1137618)   #6
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you race at Pembrey, it lessens your ability to test there.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 11:12 (Ref:1137621)   #7
watch&learn
Rookie

watch&learn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The organisors believe they have listened to the views of teams etc and due to this they have provided rounds in Europe. I understand that the series will be renamed to reflect these changes- something along the lines of British F3 International Series. It's a shame for the followers of F3 who'll not see rounds at their local tracks and are unable to attend so many european rounds.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 11:23 (Ref:1137630)   #8
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure about mondello hated the circuit on btcc calender,but GREAT too see castle combe still there excellent atmosphere always busy too
Old 27 Oct 2004, 11:39 (Ref:1137647)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
There was never a chance of Pembrey being on the calendar because they get more income from testing than they would from having a race meeting.

Rockingham would have been nice, but they still have their heads stuck in the sand about the chicane that was such a problem for F3 last year (2003).

Anyway, do you honestly think the drivers, who provide the funding, would prefer to race at those two circuits rather than Monza and Nürburgring? I agree with Gaz.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 11:42 (Ref:1137654)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I don't disagree with Gaz that it's a great calender, I was making the point that the British F3 series is now in effect a European F3 series
Old 27 Oct 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1137656)   #11
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Being selfish it's great that Castle Combe and Thruxton are still on there (though a bummer they're only two weeks apart)...

...but surely the extra European rounds will cost far too much for a series already struggling?

Sad (but no surprise) that Brands and Oulton are no longer on there.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 11:52 (Ref:1137667)   #12
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
I think the "European" races are ludicrous and will be the death-knell of the series.
As the Teams asked for European dates, it can hardly be "the Death Knell"

Stephen, the name has changed from British F3 to International F3, supporting the LMES rounds is a great idea.

The fact that MSV/SRO have been unable to agree terms (imo) will help the series in the long term.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1137753)   #13
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Several 'national' series are spreading their wings.I think the problem is no one can stop them under EU laws.In business terms Europe is one nation.Re,Pembrey;I don't wish to offend any welshmen here but I seem to recall a recent thread about the state of this circuit...
I have in one of my scrapbooks a cutting from 'Motoring News around 1974,showing a proposed street circuit in Cardiff.Looks ideal for a prestige F3 race a la Macau?
Old 27 Oct 2004, 13:23 (Ref:1137761)   #14
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
According to the T-Sport team boss costs won't be dramitically more with the European Events. And those very events offer great value for money to sponsors as the crowds should be much larger considering that F3 will be supporting LMES.

I'll comment on Pembrey after I've visited there for the Renault series in two weeks but from all accounts the facilities aren't whats required to run a major F3 Championship.

I can't see how it can be the death knell of the series. Why are many drivers heading to Europe? Because they're saying it gives them the opportunity to drive on the GP circuits. Brit F3 is now in a good position because everyone knows that unless your signed up to a Mercedes contract you have little chance in the Euroseries.

From a personal point of view I'd be slightly disappointed, no Oulton and several European events I'll be unable to attend. But if that is what needs to be done to safeguard the long-term future of the series and it gets the drivers in and the numbers up then it can only be a good thing!
Old 27 Oct 2004, 13:27 (Ref:1137766)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jasongore
The name has changed from British F3 to International F3, supporting the LMES rounds is a great idea.

So, sadly, after years of history we no longer have a British F3 championship.

It's a "series" now rather than a "championship", I assume.

The new calendar would make sense if the F3 Euroseries didn't exist, but in my opinion this is a sad day.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 13:42 (Ref:1137780)   #16
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Quote:

It's a "series" now rather than a "championship", I assume.

The new calendar would make sense if the F3 Euroseries didn't exist, but in my opinion this is a sad day.
It's better to have something rather than nothing k-b. The way the series was going it was heading for the pits.

This is radical I agree but if it saves the series then so be it. It's only a name change at the end of the day not the end of the world!
Old 27 Oct 2004, 13:51 (Ref:1137795)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I may be wrong about this, but I think that only the three rounds in Europe (plus, possibly, the one at Silverstone that is also an LMES round) will comprise the Series. This is to comply with an FIA Regulation. All the other rounds will still be the British F3 Championship, so no, the title is not lost.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 13:56 (Ref:1137800)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

So we won't have an overall champion, but two different ones?
Old 27 Oct 2004, 14:05 (Ref:1137801)   #19
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
No, we'll have an overall British champion and an Int series champion I believe, but like Foxy Mole I aint 100%
Old 27 Oct 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1137815)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

I wonder if some drivers might only do the "British" rounds then?
Old 27 Oct 2004, 14:30 (Ref:1137821)   #21
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Maybe so, depends how serious you are. But all European rounds count for the overall championship aswell so if you want a chance at the overall crown your going to have to compete in all the European rounds as well so I doubt they'll be many skipping the away days.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 15:21 (Ref:1137879)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

I'm still confused.

Is this correct - all rounds count to the British F3 points.

The 4 LMES supporting rounds also count to an International F3 series.

??

But that would mean the whole thing can't be called the British F3 Championship, because it would have too many races outside Britain...
Old 27 Oct 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1137895)   #23
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Prepare to be confused further, K-b, because the one thing I can't understand is why Mondello Park counts as a British round when it's not in the UK.

Cheer up, though, the glass ain't half empty, it's bloody nearly full. And there is still a round at Knockhill for you!
Old 27 Oct 2004, 16:53 (Ref:1137959)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Yes, I'll be there assuming the date doesn't clash with a couple of other things.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 17:50 (Ref:1138013)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
top bombing, i think this is a mega calendar and it's a mega step forward. ours is the best f3 series out there.

the thing is still british based, so really i don't see the problem. we've just got a couple more of the best tracks in europe on the calendar.

not convinced about mondello yet, though.