Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 7 Jun 2015, 07:01 (Ref:3545749)   #1
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
1984 the event that made me to go in 1985

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F1ZJit0qQ4
Old 7 Jun 2015, 10:07 (Ref:3545760)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!

I'm interested why it was particularly that which made you go?
Old 7 Jun 2015, 10:32 (Ref:3545764)   #3
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Because 1984 was my first Le Mans. Many and various Group C (Porsche, Lancia, Jaguar, Aston-Martin, Rondeau, W.M, screaming little Mazda...), still some GT (Ferrari BB, Porsche, BMW M1), a real hot and sunny weather.

In memory of Jacky Loiseau
Old 7 Jun 2015, 10:49 (Ref:3545766)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

I had always watched motorsport and loved aston martins (still do) but the coverage of the incident and the race just made the whole thing look exciting and the speeds were incredible, we were all talking about it down the pub and decided to go the next year. One year later i got a train to london, a train to newhaven, ferry over and a coach to le mans courtesy of one of the motor sport trip companies. Hated the trip, the coach, the travel in general but fell in love with the race. looked at all the brits camping with cars and the following year drove down never looked back since. A very expensive obsession grew out of the 1984 race, but i do not regret it.
Old 7 Jun 2015, 15:30 (Ref:3545810)   #5
Hans Stuck Fan
Rookie

Hans Stuck Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
84 was my second Le Mans; la retour de la Jaguar. An excellent race in many ways. One of many that Brilliant Bob Wollek could have won.
Old 7 Jun 2015, 19:23 (Ref:3545864)   #6
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1984 was my 5th time at Le Mans. I attended Silverstone in spring, Le Mans in June and Brands Hatch in autumn at that time. Must get back to scanning slides of those days. Anyone else remember the sports car version of Grand Prix International magazine?
Old 7 Jun 2015, 19:49 (Ref:3545872)   #7
AndyN
Rookie

England
Somerset, naturalised
AndyN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do remember that magazine, and still have a poster sized photo of the grid pre-start at Le mans in 83, the number of quality Gp C cars is amazing.

Having dug it out, the poster is part of the '83 Brands Hatch 1000km programme as the race was sponsored by the magazine. I'll see if I can get it scanned in at work....
Old 7 Jun 2015, 21:15 (Ref:3545902)   #8
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude2cv View Post
1984 was my 5th time at Le Mans. I attended Silverstone in spring, Le Mans in June and Brands Hatch in autumn at that time. Must get back to scanning slides of those days. Anyone else remember the sports car version of Grand Prix International magazine?
Very fond memories of GPI magazine - it was their 1982 Le Mans special that really got me interested in sportscars and their coverage of 1982/83 in particular captured the real drama of the racing and the inherent optimism that came from the start of the Group C era - have a complete run of them in the study and they are fun to revisit.

Would be delighted to see contemporary imagery Sean.

Being honest I was 12 in 1984, so my ability to lobby to go and visit was pretty limited, although Page and Moy trips to F1 races did feature in family holidays in 1986 and 1987. I was only really 1999 with flying Mercedes and the BMW / Toyota battle that really properly seized the imagination and set in the train the sequence that sees us heading to the Sarthe every June.
Old 7 Jun 2015, 21:42 (Ref:3545918)   #9
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
yes page and moy that was who i went with in 1985
Old 7 Jun 2015, 22:57 (Ref:3545942)   #10
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude2cv View Post
Yes, I remember the 1983 French issue. It's somewhere in the archives. I don't remember a 1984 issue.
Old 8 Jun 2015, 18:31 (Ref:3546226)   #11
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
Yes, I remember the 1983 French issue. It's somewhere in the archives. I don't remember a 1984 issue.
By 1984 they'd stopped doing event dedicated issues and were a biweekly (or was it monthly?).

If I get enough packing done this evening I'll try and dig a the 1984 issue out and scan the cover.
Old 8 Jun 2015, 18:42 (Ref:3546229)   #12
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
see you down there Ian, we will have food and drink ready for your arrival
Old 8 Jun 2015, 19:08 (Ref:3546235)   #13
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here is alink to a discussion on the Autosport Forum from 2003 about the mag. Half way down is a chronology for the mag.

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/59...onal-magazine/

Sean
Old 9 Jun 2015, 10:13 (Ref:3546423)   #14
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Okay - not last night, but as packing is now pretty much done (back of car's almost still habitable too - does this mean I've forgotten something critical?) but here's the cover of the 1984 GPI Le Mans issue.

Enjoy, and see some of you in a couple of days.