Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jun 2011, 14:13 (Ref:2901863)   #1
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Button to go to Ferrari?

Okay prepare to take this with a pinch of salt, but the latest rumour is doing the rounds, Button apparently to replace Massa for 2013. I don't if this could happen. Would Jenson be happy as Fernando's tea boy? Especially when the radio call comes in for the 'Hockenheim overtake'. Jenson is a good driver, but not as good as Alonso in my view. I don't know how well the two would work together.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/190620...d-ferrari.html
Old 19 Jun 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2901865)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I can not see this happening myself..Jenson seems comfortable at McLaren and it would appear the Alonso does not care for a team mate that is too competitive..

Also look at the source..

"There has been a lot of talk within Ferrari about getting Button. They have already checked to see if he would be available," a Ferrari source told the News of the World.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2901867)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Let's wat for the next week rumour... Petrov maybe ?
Old 19 Jun 2011, 15:00 (Ref:2901881)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I read an article last week by Andrew Benson and he said that Ferrari and Jenson had been in contact but i honestly don't see it happening. Jenson has stated that he'd like to finish his career at McLaren and he's probably waiting to see if Lewis leaves for Red Bull.

Although i'm sure every driver would love to drive for Ferrari, but why go as Fernando's number 2 when he could be number 1 at McLaren (if Hamilton leaves).
Old 19 Jun 2011, 16:19 (Ref:2901902)   #5
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Although i'm sure every driver would love to drive for Ferrari, but why go as Fernando's number 2 when he could be number 1 at McLaren (if Hamilton leaves).
Even with Hamilton there they clearly have equal status - Jenson is no number 2.

I don't know why any driver on the grid would go to be Alonso's teammate. He clearly has plain no 1 status (and is one of the best out there anyway!), so you know you have no chance.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2901903)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPage View Post
Even with Hamilton there they clearly have equal status - Jenson is no number 2.

I don't know why any driver on the grid would go to be Alonso's teammate. He clearly has plain no 1 status (and is one of the best out there anyway!), so you know you have no chance.
If Button can beat Hamilton thiis season, or next in the same car then he may well think that he's got just as good a chance against Alonso. He's got 2007 as a decent enough barometer of how he might fare.

Plus a potentially hefty pay deal wouldn't exactly be a turn off for him.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 16:31 (Ref:2901905)   #7
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
and he said that Ferrari and Jenson had been in contact
yep it happened at montreal.... the contact left alonso on the grass!
Old 19 Jun 2011, 17:06 (Ref:2901917)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh I said all this to my mum who told me she saw it - Where's the upside for Jenson?

He must be on a healthy sum at McLaren, I wouldn't have thought Ferrari could offer that much more..?

Even if they did, i'm not sure he'd feel too comfortable moving to a team where he'd clearly be #2. Again you ask yourself, what's in it for Ferrari? Why on earth would they upset Alonso by bringing in someone as competitive as Button?

Their best bet is to get a young(ish) gunner who'd happilly play second fiddle and be happy with it. I would say the Hulk given that he's out of a drive and hungry for one, but i'm not so sure he'd be happy to fulfil that role.

It's a mix between talent, but not too much of a threat, and someone who'll "behave".

Tbh I think Massa is who they need right now.

Selby
Old 19 Jun 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2901935)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post

Again you ask yourself, what's in it for Ferrari? Why on earth would they upset Alonso by bringing in someone as competitive as Button?
They need someone who can get close to Alonso so that if their car becomes competitive enough they can push for the constructors title too.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 17:34 (Ref:2901939)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
If Massa can be consistently near or ocassionaly ahead of Alonso pace wise for the rest of the season, he needn't worry imo.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 18:09 (Ref:2901957)   #11
Louis Agilais
Racer

Louis Agilais is a back marker
There's still one player to be put in this equation: Kimi; remember he's generally considered the fastest (pure speed) driver of the last decade and it can not be said these days he's too old.

one curious detail is that he's sponsored by Red Bull in the WRC and NASCAR. Will he return to take Webber's place?
Old 19 Jun 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2901993)   #12
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
They need someone who can get close to Alonso so that if their car becomes competitive enough they can push for the constructors title too.
Ferrari's problem with their approach is they want someone who is not as quick as Alonso but quicker than how Massa is driving. I have no sympathy for their approach, because they could choose to get the best two drivers available to them, but they choose not to. Even putting all their eggs in the Alonso basket last year couldn't net them the title.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 20:01 (Ref:2902018)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Ferrari's problem with their approach is they want someone who is not as quick as Alonso but quicker than how Massa is driving. I have no sympathy for their approach, because they could choose to get the best two drivers available to them, but they choose not to. Even putting all their eggs in the Alonso basket last year couldn't net them the title.
I think you have hit the nail on the head mate..
Old 19 Jun 2011, 20:50 (Ref:2902044)   #14
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button to Ferrari? It's like Charles becoming King. Meaning: not impossible.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 20:52 (Ref:2902048)   #15
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It'd be interesting if he went there and won. How many drivers have won Grands Prix with four different teams? In fact, is there anyone? I'm quite pleased for Jenson. Three years ago you'd have got short shrift if you'd claimed he was one of the top drivers in F1. Now he's proved that he is.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2902057)   #16
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
It'd be interesting if he went there and won. How many drivers have won Grands Prix with four different teams? In fact, is there anyone?
Fangio.
But yes it would be a rare feat, and I think Jenson would easily be good enough to accomplish it.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 21:06 (Ref:2902059)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Prost and Alonso have also managed it with 3 teams but I can't think of anyone else who's managed more than that in the last 20 years?
Old 19 Jun 2011, 21:55 (Ref:2902096)   #18
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm quite pleased for Jenson. Three years ago you'd have got short shrift if you'd claimed he was one of the top drivers in F1. Now he's proved that he is.
It goes to show how good all these guys are considering many can prove they are a top driver if they put themselves in the right team to show it and make the most of the opportunity. Well done Jenson for being one of those to do it.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 22:40 (Ref:2902123)   #19
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
yep it happened at montreal.... the contact left alonso on the grass!

Old 19 Jun 2011, 22:47 (Ref:2902125)   #20
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It'd be interesting if he went there and won. How many drivers have won Grands Prix with four different teams? In fact, is there anyone? I'm quite pleased for Jenson. Three years ago you'd have got short shrift if you'd claimed he was one of the top drivers in F1. Now he's proved that he is.

Stirling Moss

1955 Mercedes Britain
1956 Maserati Britain
1957 Vanwall Britain/Pescara/Italy
1958 Cooper Argentine
Vanwall Dutch/Portugal/Morocco
1959 Cooper Portuguese/Italian (BRM Britain 2nd Place)
1960 Lotus Monaco/USA
1961 Lotus Monaco/German

That would be Five completely different teams! Nearly 6!

Not too shabby!

Last edited by wnut; 19 Jun 2011 at 22:52.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 23:34 (Ref:2902142)   #21
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

[pedant]A minor point, but do we consider Brawn to be a different team to Honda? I suppose it was under different management from 2006.[/pedant]
Old 19 Jun 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2902151)   #22
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
[pedant]A minor point, but do we consider Brawn to be a different team to Honda? I suppose it was under different management from 2006.[/pedant]
Being a pedant, Brawn was under the same management (Brawn) and the same personnel but different ownership.
Probably different teams and different though because of the different engine gearbox; still not sure myself - how does that work for you?

Last edited by wnut; 20 Jun 2011 at 00:03.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 00:19 (Ref:2902157)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Different teams.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 02:01 (Ref:2902174)   #24
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Prost and Alonso have also managed it with 3 teams but I can't think of anyone else who's managed more than that in the last 20 years?
Prost would be 4 - Renault/McLaren/Ferrari/Williams

How does Alonsodo?

Alonso Renault/McLaren/Renault/Ferrari ie. What do you do with a return Renault - McLaren - Renault?

Stewart is interesting with the Brawn /Honda debate - BRM/March/Matra/Tyrrell - 2 entrants but the chassis mix is interesting and must count for a lot, particularly as he was the only one winning in any of them!

Gurney - Porsche/Brabham/Eagle
Lauda Ferrari/Brabham/McLaren
Andretti Ferrari/Parnelli/Lotus
Scheckter Tyrrell/Wolf/Ferrari
Piquet Brabham/Williams/Benetton

Button Honda/Brawn/McLaren

Last edited by wnut; 20 Jun 2011 at 02:09.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 02:26 (Ref:2902176)   #25
V6_
Rookie

V6_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It goes to show how good all these guys are considering many can prove they are a top driver if they put themselves in the right team to show it and make the most of the opportunity. Well done Jenson for being one of those to do it.
Jos Verstappen had quite a different fate

I firmly believe Jenson is a good mid-pack driver.