Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 20 Feb 2014, 08:10 (Ref:3370291)   #276
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
As already said the hope is that the WEC will allow teams to run old cars if the new ones are not ready for the first couple of races
Old 20 Feb 2014, 12:20 (Ref:3370348)   #277
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Rebellion having trouble getting their cars ready in time....
http://sportscar365.com/wec/rebellio...-new-lmp1-car/
This is an interesting quote...

Quote:
The tub passed its first FIA crash test in Italy last week and will now return to ORECA’s facility in the south of France to begin construction of the first car.
I always thought one developmental tub was sacrificed for the crash test. This almost sounds like the tested tub will go into the actual car after the test.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 14:20 (Ref:3370383)   #278
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post

I always thought one developmental tub was sacrificed for the crash test. This almost sounds like the tested tub will go into the actual car after the test.
I thought that was interesting too. But I guess you want it to survive the test, right?
Old 20 Feb 2014, 21:01 (Ref:3370502)   #279
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
As already said the hope is that the WEC will allow teams to run old cars if the new ones are not ready for the first couple of races
I would day NO,you never know if some teams discarded running a 2013 LMP1 because they feel it was impossible to get on time to run a 2014 LMP1.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 22:16 (Ref:3370534)   #280
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post

I assume that unless you are very confident (and have the monetary resources to backtrack if you are wrong) that you would not build a second tub until the first passes tests. So if time is short, maybe they plan to repair the tub that was crash tested just to get testing going and then maybe replace it later with a newer tub. In general, I assume it is faster to repair than to wait until the second is compete.

Richard
Old 20 Feb 2014, 22:29 (Ref:3370539)   #281
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But can you repair a crash tested tub?
Isn't it damaged beyond the repair point?
Old 20 Feb 2014, 22:51 (Ref:3370546)   #282
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would you think it is damaged at all?
Old 20 Feb 2014, 22:53 (Ref:3370548)   #283
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
If it's crash tested?
Old 20 Feb 2014, 22:57 (Ref:3370552)   #284
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You do realise what the point of the crash test is? You really don't hear of many/any sacrificial tubs for crash testing. It's not viable.
Old 21 Feb 2014, 00:06 (Ref:3370562)   #285
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
If it's crash tested?
Koenigsegg used one shell for all EU crash tests (20+ or so???) for the Agera, so I don't see why an already crashtested chassis could be inspected, mended where necessary and raced. Seems odd and dangerous, but I'm sure it isn't!
Old 21 Feb 2014, 14:31 (Ref:3370696)   #286
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
You do realise what the point of the crash test is? You really don't hear of many/any sacrificial tubs for crash testing. It's not viable.
I was basing my comment on a comment I heard a team owner make one time. Paraphrasing, 'When you introduce a new car, you have that added expense of building an extra tub to be used for crash testing.'

I thought the purpose of crash testing was to prove that the driver would be protected. A tub can have a crack, etc. and still protect the driver. But, would you want to use a tub that has gone through crash testing with the possibility of hair-line fractures etc. from the result of the crash test that might not protect in a future crash?

It may be a common practice to reuse the tub but it goes against my previous thoughts. If it is a common practice, I stand corrected.
Old 21 Feb 2014, 21:24 (Ref:3370803)   #287
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I also thought that the test tub was discarded after the crash. I doesn´t look very safe to reuse that tub.
Old 21 Feb 2014, 21:52 (Ref:3370813)   #288
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
I also thought that the test tub was discarded after the crash. I doesn´t look very safe to reuse that tub.
I think the tests are designed to make sure the car can withstand a certain impact. I don't think they hit the tub till it breaks. If the tub breaks during testing then the car fails and they have to re-engineer the tub to make it stronger. I'm not involved in crash tests, so I don't know for sure, just my 2-cents.
Old 21 Feb 2014, 21:58 (Ref:3370821)   #289
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I did a very quick online search and I can't seem to find the safety requirements or the crash test procedures. Can anyone point me to those?

Ultimately the question is if they test to destruction or not. I expect not. And we have all seen particularly bad crashes in practice/races in which later on the tub was put back into use (after inspection I am sure). So maybe tubs do not experience much damage during crash testing (assuming they are well constructed and pass the tests)? There may be other structures around them that are tested to destruction (or they are designed to break during the test or a real crash) such as with F1 nose and side impact structures.

My concern would be the potential damage to mounting points as well as delamination of composite material. Maybe with today's modern tech (such things as ultrasonic inspection, etc.) these types of issues can be detected and repaired.

Richard
Old 21 Feb 2014, 22:07 (Ref:3370824)   #290
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
There may be other structures around them that are tested to destruction (or they are designed to break during the test or a real crash) such as with F1 nose and side impact structures.

Richard
this is a good point, about crash structures.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 05:56 (Ref:3376391)   #291
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The new Rebellion-Toyota LMP1 contender will miss the official World Endurance Championship test at the end of March. ...

It will instead take a pair of the Toyota-powered Lolas in the specification that they completed last year's WEC. ...

Hayden explained that it is expected that the first R-One will make its maiden run the week after the official test. ...

Hayden did not rule out Rebellion running its Lolas at the WEC series opener at Silverstone on April 20.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112807
Old 8 Mar 2014, 08:09 (Ref:3376409)   #292
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Confirmation of what we had already suspected but some sounds like they have the funds to compete but just ran out of time
Old 8 Mar 2014, 12:17 (Ref:3376456)   #293
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No point having it grind to a halt in front of the public just for the sake of making the test. Fingers crossed they can get at least one car to Silverstone.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3376537)   #294
FGE
Rookie

Germany
Lüneburg
FGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are they not supposed to be at the test with the same car they want to run during this years season?
Old 8 Mar 2014, 21:17 (Ref:3376539)   #295
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGE View Post
Are they not supposed to be at the test with the same car they want to run during this years season?
The article says test is mandatory for all entrants. Apparently doesn't matter what car they use.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 21:59 (Ref:3376554)   #296
FGE
Rookie

Germany
Lüneburg
FGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the information.
(The more I read/know, the more it´s a funny rule to me)
Old 17 Mar 2014, 14:41 (Ref:3381078)   #297
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looks like Lolas for Silverstone...

http://sportscar365.com/wec/rebellio...-lola-toyotas/
Old 17 Mar 2014, 15:33 (Ref:3381087)   #298
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh no! We're going to have to hear those Rebellions again! How will we cope....
Old 17 Mar 2014, 17:43 (Ref:3381139)   #299
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Oh well we will have to grin and bear it
Old 18 Mar 2014, 09:51 (Ref:3381412)   #300
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Oh no! We're going to have to hear those Rebellions again! How will we cope....
Best sound out there in the P class .

What engine will they be running in the R-One please ?