Williams 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Apr 2019, 18:05 (Ref:3894713)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes agreed not exactly the same But there is a similarity.
Old 1 Apr 2019, 19:37 (Ref:3894730)   #27
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Was Kimi 2005 when his from tire was so badly flat spotted that the front suspension let go shortly before the end of the race? If that's the case, the car was under severe vibration for a while before things fell apart.

Vettel's front wing came off in short order after the spin which would lead to tell me how super fragile these front wings are this year. Ricci's wing peeled off pretty easy too hitting that grass side walk at the start in Oz.

We have all seen where cars have even taken some bad bumps and some air and the wings have stayed intact.

Just seems bizarre how quickly Vettel's wing came off. Maybe there is more to the story, who knows.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
I have read that there is an approach with the Ferrari front wing, where they focus on energy towards the centre of the nose, as opposed to others who focus on the endplates.

This has been speculated as a cause for the lack of performance in Australia, where the more undulating surface made this less effective, or required thicker supports.
At the 'smooth' circuits (Barcelona and Bahrain), they can be thinner and more focussed on the nose.

This could be the reason why this is a potential weak point in the car, which is exposed on rough surfaces (or when the car is not stable). It might also explain why the car reacted so suddenly when crossing a vortex, as there is a single aero point that has its flow broken.
Old 1 Apr 2019, 20:15 (Ref:3894736)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
McLaren. After being the butt of plenty of jokes recently, things are finally looking up. And they clearly have a very talented driver in Lando....
Old 2 Apr 2019, 00:33 (Ref:3894767)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift View Post
It takes a special talent to get two cars to break down within 100mt of each other
Synchronised engine failures... like swimming but far more dangerous with all that ERS power just laying around... ready to hurt people...

Webber to Renault?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 Apr 2019, 08:16 (Ref:3894798)   #30
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Was Kimi 2005 when his from tire was so badly flat spotted that the front suspension let go shortly before the end of the race? If that's the case, the car was under severe vibration for a while before things fell apart.

Vettel's front wing came off in short order after the spin which would lead to tell me how super fragile these front wings are this year. Ricci's wing peeled off pretty easy too hitting that grass side walk at the start in Oz.

We have all seen where cars have even taken some bad bumps and some air and the wings have stayed intact.

Just seems bizarre how quickly Vettel's wing came off. Maybe there is more to the story, who knows.

If I remember correctly, Kimi did several laps on the flat-spotted tyre before the suspension failed. Vettel only did a couple of corners before his wing came off. Either the wing posts are far too fragile, or there's more to this story than we are being told. I hadn't thought of it before, but perhaps Leclerc should have been very nervous about his own front wing after that.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 09:28 (Ref:3894807)   #31
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Just thinking outside the box a little here regarding the wing failure. Obviously it's designed (mountings-wise) to handle the forces put upon it when travelling in a forward direction. Could the spin have caused forces to be put on the mountings in a direction they hadn't expected and this caused them to weaken?
Old 2 Apr 2019, 11:27 (Ref:3894833)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I did a bit of research on front wing failures and the most recent I could find was Temo Glock, when he was testing for Virgin. The front wing fell off the car, after he had only completed 11 laps at Jerez, in February 2010.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/8510697.stm
Old 2 Apr 2019, 11:36 (Ref:3894836)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or this one from 2013.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/co...013_korean_gp/
Old 2 Apr 2019, 11:46 (Ref:3894838)   #34
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
You did a better job than I.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 11:56 (Ref:3894839)   #35
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Or Grosjean's multiple front wing failures in 2016.....

Romain Grosjean says Haas must solve the problems that are affecting its front wing after the Formula 1 team suffered its fourth failure of the season in Canada.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 12:39 (Ref:3894844)   #36
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think any engineered front wing can withstand Grosjean's driving style.

Old 2 Apr 2019, 12:43 (Ref:3894845)   #37
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Maybe I am thinking way too simple here, but couldn't it just have been that the Pirelli tyres these days are so incredibly fragile that a few small flat spots can make the car vibrate like it's driving on cobbles?
Old 3 Apr 2019, 10:28 (Ref:3895038)   #38
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I don't think any engineered front wing can withstand Grosjean's driving style.
This wing should just about be ok for Grosjean?
Attached Thumbnails
bulldozer-download-png-38804.jpg  
Old 3 Apr 2019, 18:43 (Ref:3895135)   #39
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hilarious!

Old 3 Apr 2019, 20:05 (Ref:3895149)   #40
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
This wing should just about be ok for Grosjean?
But that's a McLaren, surely....?