Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Mar 2004, 23:20 (Ref:900178)   #1
Hamish Weir
Rookie

Hamish Weir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wake up Jenson.

After reading todays Sun new paper about Jenson Button being able to beat the Ferrari's in the next Grand Prix I had to laugh It was a great joke. I think Jenson should go back to be and wake up. I dont hink BAR are even close to the top 4.Nor do I realy think he is anygood. Hes a Coulthard in the making. There to make up the numbers. Question Is how long will it take to register that?
And no im not a Ferrari or a schumacher fan although I think Schu is the best driver at the minute.
Im a Jaguar fan (yeah, yeah laugh away).

What do you all think?
Old 9 Mar 2004, 23:23 (Ref:900182)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An un-necessary bash on Jenson, really.

Firstly, the Sun like to blow a small quote out of all proportion.

Secondly, better to have self-belief than to go into a race with an already defeated frame of mind.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 23:27 (Ref:900188)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I would not underestimate either Button, nor Baronda... After a shaky start where he was demolished by Fisi, he's proven to be a great driver. And Baronda seems to be on the right track, now that Jacque$ has left.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 23:32 (Ref:900192)   #4
Hamish Weir
Rookie

Better to be down beat in the eyes of the media that look like a fool when it dont work out. Eddie Irvine was like this. "I can do this and I can do that" Where is Eddie now?
If you keep those kind of thoughts to yourself untill you have done it a couple of times and you know you can do it again.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 23:37 (Ref:900200)   #5
Hamish Weir
Rookie

Down beat in tearms of what you think you can do. YOu dont hear Schumacher or Ferrari saying the title has been won right up until it has been. If hes going to say that hes just going to put pressure on him and the team. Id like to see BAR get some good points this year because the have been working hard since they were founded. But being careless in what you think you can do and what you can actualy do is stupid puts a hell of alot of presssure on the guys around him.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 23:44 (Ref:900207)   #6
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
up until the USGP last year i would have been one of the first to say that he was a tad over-hyped and over-rated......not since then....i think he's begun to find his game....if anything, he could be another mansell in the making...just my humble opinion though....
Old 10 Mar 2004, 00:24 (Ref:900268)   #7
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is better to be confident rather than defeatest.Jenson is now senior driver and if doesn't have confidence what chance his team mate.

The Grumpy1
Old 10 Mar 2004, 00:59 (Ref:900297)   #8
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson a couthard in the making?
Impossible.Jelly baby may be irritating (understatement?LOL)
but he can at least drive fast......
Old 10 Mar 2004, 05:52 (Ref:900420)   #9
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
No - wrong. The difference between the two drivers named is that one can drive fast and the other is nicknamed DC.

Bunson backed off on Sunday to make sure he got home. The BAR is a definate improver this year and will be a competitor when they test the limits in a race.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 06:43 (Ref:900449)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Typical driver bash. You have to be desperate to put any store behind a Sun story.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 07:20 (Ref:900487)   #11
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never say never, hamish weir
Old 10 Mar 2004, 08:00 (Ref:900506)   #12
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think he will beat the Ferraris. It is ordained.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 08:37 (Ref:900537)   #13
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He wont win anything till he grows a bushy mustache and starts being miserable
Old 10 Mar 2004, 08:45 (Ref:900541)   #14
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think being miserable was in last years script. He appears to have gained new writers.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 09:00 (Ref:900552)   #15
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Wake up Jenson.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamish Weir
After reading todays Sun new paper about Jenson Button being able to beat the Ferrari's in the next Grand Prix I had to laugh It was a great joke. I think Jenson should go back to be and wake up. I dont hink BAR are even close to the top 4.Nor do I realy think he is anygood. Hes a Coulthard in the making. There to make up the numbers. Question Is how long will it take to register that?
And no im not a Ferrari or a schumacher fan although I think Schu is the best driver at the minute.

What do you all think?
I'd like to know who think the top 4 are? - considering Jenson was wholly untroubled by a McLaren for the whole weekend.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 09:24 (Ref:900575)   #16
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The Sun???? Answer me this - What does "The Beano" make of the first race?

Button qualified equal 3rd by the way. Therefore he should be aiming high.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 09:31 (Ref:900584)   #17
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BAR will beat Ferrari a few times this year i reckon - where the circuit suits their car and tyre. A circuit like... ooh, let me think.... Sepang. Hang on, that's what Jenson said - and I agree with him. They will be much more competitive against the Ferraris next race, and McLaren will struggle for a fair while yet - on that basis they're in the top four currently, no question.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 09:43 (Ref:900596)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
There is little doubt that Jenson is a very fast driver, but is he a real racer? We haven't seen him do any convincing wheel to wheel battles with anyone since his debut year with Williams.

One example is that everytime 'Monster' gets anywhere near him Jenson is lunch!

Jenson is certainly no Mansell, but more akin if anything to Damon, who was a damn quick driver but arguably lacking a little in pure racecraft.

However i reckon that if Jenson gets even nearer the front the of grid at any of the rounds i think he's got the discipline and pace to win from front, if he has to battle, he'll lose out though.

Fair assessment?
Old 10 Mar 2004, 10:09 (Ref:900615)   #19
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not really - if he takes the view that discretion is the better part of valour then all that really betrays is his level-headedness and ability to see the bigger piccture. When he has been overtaken it has always been by a much faster car.

I do think there is the tiniest bit of substance in that allegation though - in so much as I believe that he needs to discover a flair for identifying that race-changing moment when it is appropriate to take a risk and make it stick because to do so at that moment would change the complexion of the race, or indeed season. Michael Schumacher has that talent in spades - as always, the younger drivers shold learn from that example. I'd prefer him to look at it that way than to charge for the gap at every half opportunity like Montoya - he has lost a lot by his impetuous behaviour... Indy 2003 being only one example.

Last edited by Glen; 10 Mar 2004 at 10:13.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 11:06 (Ref:900683)   #20
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:

What do you all think?
OK

How long have you been a Jaguar fan? Since 2003??

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 10 Mar 2004, 11:28 (Ref:900697)   #21
daniel27
Rookie

daniel27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
Jenson a couthard in the making?
Impossible.Jelly baby may be irritating (understatement?LOL)
but he can at least drive fast......
Comparing Jenson to Coultard is flattering in the extreme. This guy hasn't even been on a podium in four years in F1. Maybe he's a late bloomer but I don't think Jenson is anything special. He's certainly not a racer and he folds under pressure like a wet blanket. Fast but not yet aggressive enough. Time will tell.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 14:31 (Ref:900906)   #22
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by daniel27
Comparing Jenson to Coultard is flattering in the extreme. This guy hasn't even been on a podium in four years in F1. Maybe he's a late bloomer but I don't think Jenson is anything special. He's certainly not a racer and he folds under pressure like a wet blanket. Fast but not yet aggressive enough. Time will tell.
By and large Jenson hasn't been in a podium car though, has he? It's not as if his team-mates have been scoring multiple podiums and he has been languishing because he can't race, which is the pimpression you woud like to give.

When Button and BAR get their payback for patience and hard work, in the form of a podium or a finish higher than the Ferrari (as predicted), what will you Button-bashers be having with your humble pie? Cream or custard?
Old 10 Mar 2004, 17:19 (Ref:901050)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
After reading todays Sun new paper about Jenson Button being able to beat the Ferrari's in the next Grand Prix I had to laugh It was a great joke.
Think back a few months, ultra hot weather, Michael lapped and ending up 8th! Now, who would have thought that would have happened last year?

It is unlikely, but it could happen.

BTW, Jenson didn't actually say that he would win the race, just could beat the Ferrari's. (weather dependant of course)

Last edited by Mr V; 10 Mar 2004 at 17:20.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 18:27 (Ref:901117)   #24
b.luther
Rookie

b.luther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Jenson is fast, but only time will tell. By the way things do change sometimes. Who would have thought Alonso would have smoked the entire grid in hungary. I know I thought someone could keep up but he proved me wrong just as Jenson and BAR have so far...IMO they have a lot of work ahead of them to keep this pace, but who am I to say maybe they have there Cr@p together and there ready to take on the big boys....None of us really know.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 20:34 (Ref:901245)   #25
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Hamish. you shouldn't run before you can walk. the bar is a suprising improvement but if you hype yourself up too much you might find it is followed by a very hard fall.