Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 Aug 2021, 09:18 (Ref:4065241)   #26
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
this is the daftest cancellation for a long time.

i get people preferring not to support them, your choice guys that’s cool, but everone harbours some views that are going to be wildly offensive to someone. especially about sim racing. the way some folk (nobody here) chase this ideal person to support and make a fuss when someone turns out to not be 100% perfect is just wild.
I mean, he's the one that cancelled me I think most of the furore is from people who probably hadn't heard much about the team before it was retweeted by the likes of Jimmy Broadbent who has a big following. People like myself are more upset by the blocking than the original opinion.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 09:19 (Ref:4065242)   #27
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, i understand. the counterpoint to that is that nobody is obliged to debate or engage as a result of anything they post on socials. not even brands. your social accounts are your space.

i think the mistake was not posting context to what is for a lot of people very protective of their interests, an inflammatory comment.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 09:27 (Ref:4065244)   #28
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
yeah, i understand. the counterpoint to that is that nobody is obliged to debate or engage as a result of anything they post on socials. not even brands. your social accounts are your space.
That is true, but there is a difference between not entering a debate and immediately blocking supporters or happen to have disagreed once. Like you say, it's Jim's choice what happens on his social media, but it's also understandable why people would be against that when it follows what was quite an inflammatory comment.

I do also see it from the other side in that there were probably quite a lot of very angry comments directed at Jim, quite likely from people who had only seen the tweet because it got retweeted by one of their favourite sim racers. To my amazement there are quite a few people who sim race but don't pay any attention to real motorsport so those people probably felt quite aggrieved.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 09:32 (Ref:4065246)   #29
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't understand saying Glick is cancelled? This will make no difference to them at all? They'll do everything they wanted to before this? All that's happened is a bunch of people like them less now because they've chosen to close the gates.

It's just disappointing to be so closed off about things. It also isn't very future proofing - given the ACO has a license agreement to make a LM game, and Glick would presumably be included in that. That'll be a tad awkward. "Here's our car in a situation we've been heavily critical of".
Old 4 Aug 2021, 09:37 (Ref:4065247)   #30
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
And - predictably - the irony is that the initial Tweet was NOTHING to do with sim racing
Old 4 Aug 2021, 10:11 (Ref:4065255)   #31
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I just saw it as a harmless comment. He didn't mention any sim racing you're right
Old 4 Aug 2021, 10:24 (Ref:4065261)   #32
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
And - predictably - the irony is that the initial Tweet was NOTHING to do with sim racing
But understandable why it could be misconstrued by sim racers. Thing is, would be simpler to have clarified than go through blocking people
Old 4 Aug 2021, 10:41 (Ref:4065263)   #33
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
But understandable why it could be misconstrued by sim racers. Thing is, would be simpler to have clarified than go through blocking people
Its not Jims fault if people can read or misinterpret what he says. He even posted a clarification on the thread but people chose not to accept it and called BS....so i doubt it would have worked.

Unfortunately this is the problem with social media, once one person misinterprets one thing the crowd starts foaming at the mouth and goes off on one.

I suspect Jim hasnt got the time for that kind of rubbish so its just easier to block people than try to reason with them.

Hell, i jumped to his defence, and 260 odd posts later and people are still arguing with me telling me that i cant be right about my own personal racing activities!
Old 4 Aug 2021, 10:41 (Ref:4065264)   #34
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I don't understand saying Glick is cancelled? This will make no difference to them at all? They'll do everything they wanted to before this? All that's happened is a bunch of people like them less now because they've chosen to close the gates.
have you seen how long the online endurance community holds a grudge?! there’s people on here still sulking about things that happened years ago

under the principle of “any publicity is good publicity”, it’s potentially made a lot of people on the fringes of the meatspace motorsport world go “who is this guy anyway” and do some digging to find out which isn’t a bad thing. lots more eyes that wouldn’t have necessarily been watching. so now they need a cunning bit of le mans pr and socials to exploit it.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 11:19 (Ref:4065269)   #35
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
have you seen how long the online endurance community holds a grudge?! there’s people on here still sulking about things that happened years ago

under the principle of “any publicity is good publicity”, it’s potentially made a lot of people on the fringes of the meatspace motorsport world go “who is this guy anyway” and do some digging to find out which isn’t a bad thing. lots more eyes that wouldn’t have necessarily been watching. so now they need a cunning bit of le mans pr and socials to exploit it.
No - I strongly suggest that Jim's outlook would be - "Oh, that's unfortunate - anyway what's next?" And truthfully I'd suggest that's the healthy attitude.

Social media's push to tell us all what to be offended by on a minute by minute basis is downright exhausting
Old 4 Aug 2021, 11:25 (Ref:4065271)   #36
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Social media's push to tell us all what to be offended by on a minute by minute basis is downright exhausting
The flip side is that there are also people telling you what you shouldn't be offended by too, seems we'd be better off without it all
Old 4 Aug 2021, 11:25 (Ref:4065272)   #37
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Old 4 Aug 2021, 11:33 (Ref:4065273)   #38
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yeah they hold a grudge and people are *******s. No argument. But I don't see how Glick is cancelled in any form tbh. They will do exactly the same as they did before, just now some people are a bit disappointed.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 11:37 (Ref:4065275)   #39
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
No - I strongly suggest that Jim's outlook would be - "Oh, that's unfortunate - anyway what's next?" And truthfully I'd suggest that's the healthy attitude.

yeah, this is very true. personal attitude is to let people get on with it. some things it's important to discuss out in the open to try and hear a broad range of opinions about but none of those things are generally a result of a tweet or something you can do on twitter

especially with El Grande coming up in a few weeks we've all got far bigger fish to fry! (she says, sat on the sofa)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Yeah they hold a grudge and people are *******s. No argument. But I don't see how Glick is cancelled in any form tbh. They will do exactly the same as they did before, just now some people are a bit disappointed.
i was just using "cancelled" as a figure of speech to describe the flapping and minor outrage going on rather than an arguing point. if that's ok with you
Old 4 Aug 2021, 11:54 (Ref:4065277)   #40
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I wondered that. Could easily be a reference to many things.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 12:01 (Ref:4065278)   #41
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He posted something. Many people weren’t debating at all, they simply posted along the lines of that was a stupid thing to post you shouldn’t have.

He didn’t want to interact with such “debate” so he ignored and blocked. Fine, he can.

He posted on Twitter, but there are no rules that you have interact. Frankly, it could do with a little less interaction.

And now we feel we are all entitled to have our say in what his opinions are. Directly too him and he must listen. He has the right to not ignore and not engage. We don’t own his time.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 12:02 (Ref:4065280)   #42
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
i was just using "cancelled" as a figure of speech to describe the flapping and minor outrage going on rather than an arguing point. if that's ok with you
Ah, ok. I took it as a very different meaning. My bad.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 12:02 (Ref:4065281)   #43
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
He posted something. Many people weren’t debating at all, they simply posted something along the lines of that was a stupid thing to post you shouldn’t have.

He didn’t want to interact with such “debate” so he ignored and blocked. Fine, he can.

And now we feel we are all entitled to have our say in what his opinions are. Directly too him and he must listen. He has the right to not ignore and not engage. We don’t own his time.
Exactly
Old 4 Aug 2021, 12:04 (Ref:4065283)   #44
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Just saying - it's fine for Jim to say "I don't want to be part of this", as equally fine as people to be very disappointed in the entire thing. These ideas are not mutually exclusive.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 12:06 (Ref:4065284)   #45
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I think he might be making that choice about 10-10ths now. He doesn’t have to interact with anyone.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 12:06 (Ref:4065285)   #46
ascarracinguk
Veteran

^^^ This....i should have taken Jims stance and just ignored people, instead of trying to reason with people for the last 20 hours or so. Wasting my breath.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 12:46 (Ref:4065288)   #47
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Too right. I got punted off by Rob Jones in the TTFRL GPL race at Kyalami back in 2004.....!
Old 4 Aug 2021, 12:48 (Ref:4065290)   #48
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Is that so? As I say, I haven't read it and can't be bothered to go searching for it.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 15:30 (Ref:4065321)   #49
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Biggest issue with Twitter is people are actively looking for stuff to get annoyed about on there. Which is what this looks like to me.

It also really isn't the platform to try and debate an issue either once things inevitably do boil over. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 15:31 (Ref:4065323)   #50
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Is that so? As I say, I haven't read it and can't be bothered to go searching for it.
I saw it before I saw any of the people taking offense to it. It doesn't mention sim racing and it is a paraphrase of an old quote (can't remember by whom) but says something like "when the green flag drops the bullshit stops". The rest of the quote was about racing happening on track, and i thought it was just a post to show excitement for getting to Le Mans!

I am so naïve