Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Jan 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2369413)   #1
scholar96
Rookie

United Kingdom
Great Sutton
scholar96 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1967 Unipower GT

Recent interest in and talk about Rochdale Olympics racing has prompted me to start this new tread, I have both a Rochdale Olympic lightweight and a Unipower GT both of which we have been trying to work on for several years now, I have ben very interested in the detailed problems accociated with fitting roll protection in the Rochdale, I can see similar problems being accociated with the Unipower.

I have had to effectively build a new chassis for my Unipower, using information from several sources including Earnest Unger, and a very helpfull chap from the USA, finaly the arceology of the several buckets of rust removed from my car which was the remains of the cars chassis. I have reproduced drawings and the space frame using new tubes and as much as possible from the original car. This realisticaly being only the dashboard top tube and part of the rear engine framework.

My car has no signs of any roll over protection, my question is did the works cars have roll bars etc, if not do any of the ones racing today have them, and finaly (although I have ideas of how to fit roll over protection) any advice from RAC / FIA scrutineers / championship co ordinators etc would be most welcome.
Old 11 Jan 2009, 16:40 (Ref:2369441)   #2
Matthew Sturmer
Rookie

Matthew Sturmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a guy who used to live round the corner from me in Horsham, Sussex during the 80's called Gerry Hulford or something very similar who was into Unipowers. He had the ex Le Mans car and I last saw him and the car at the 2006 Classic Le Mans. It was there as a static display. I'm sure he would be able to point you in the right direction regards mounting roll bars etc. and all other info. Unfortunately I don't have any contact info. but either other posters may, or if his name comes up on any Unipower related searches, try that route.

Matthew
Old 12 Jan 2009, 15:03 (Ref:2369968)   #3
photohsr
Racer

Canada
Burlington, Ontario
photohsr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unipower

Claude Houle, from Trois Rivieres, Quebec, Canada and Jeff Lumbard from Lakeville Minnesota both race Unipowers, they may be able to help
Bob H.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 09:25 (Ref:2371201)   #4
scholar96
Rookie

United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Unipower GT

Many thanks guys, we have done some extensive research on these cars, as a result I have chassis details which we used to re-manufacture my chassis, some invaluble pictures of an original chassis from all angles, which were taken just prior to the chassis being sent off for powder coating. Unfortunately apart from a small picture taken through the rear window I have no detail of roll protection.

I am about to go for a big push on the car with the intention of having a rolling chassis by the summer, followed shortly by bodywork.

Engine and gearbox spec is not yet decided and will depend on the class we race the car in, no point getting ahead of ourselves. One thing we think has been decided is to use the original size wheels and tyres, I.E. 10".
Old 14 Jan 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2371618)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
: The original blurb said that it had "built in roll over protection" :
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Jan 2009, 08:52 (Ref:2372527)   #6
scholar96
Rookie

United Kingdom
Great Sutton
??? Gordon, do you meen the original blurb from Unipower??
Old 16 Jan 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2372674)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Double post

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 16 Jan 2009 at 13:15.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Jan 2009, 13:14 (Ref:2372677)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I remember the original blurb from Unipower in the "motoring mags" at the time did mention it, but I don't think it appeared in any of the handbooks/paperwork from Unipower themselves.
However I have just seen that Wikipedia mention it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unipower
Old 27 Feb 2009, 10:04 (Ref:2405255)   #9
scholar96
Rookie

United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Work on the chassis is progressing at a pace now, one of the questions that has come up recently is regarding the rear gearbox mounting on this car. It looks like a top damper body mounting but we don't know from what car it was originaly sourced.

I have spoken to the designer Ernie Unger but as he rightly said it was all a long time ago and he cant remember that kind of detail. We can substitute a suitable item without much trouble but the pedantist in me feels that the right thing should be used.

I know its a big ask but has anyone out there any idea of where this part could be from?
Old 27 Feb 2009, 15:00 (Ref:2405457)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A photo might help.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2434020)   #11
scholar96
Rookie

United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Unipower GT

The picture below is the car as we bought it, unfortunately when we removed it from the trailer it fell into 3 pieces which is why we have had to re-manufacture the chassis, and why we have very little detail regarding parts.

Old 5 Apr 2009, 12:07 (Ref:2434066)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I like your workshop scholar !
Old 6 Apr 2009, 08:25 (Ref:2434851)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gordon, a very polite response. You could have milked it for all its worth!
Old 6 Apr 2009, 08:27 (Ref:2434852)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On a more serious note, that's a hell of a project but they were super little cars. I seem to remember one (in yellow?) being pedalled pretty rapidly at Silverstone, years ago.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 08:42 (Ref:2434860)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Gordons just jealous of the flooring
Old 6 Apr 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2434896)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I like your workshop scholar !

Quite nice to see a race-prep shop without the bull!
Old 6 Apr 2009, 10:24 (Ref:2434953)   #17
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Gordons just jealous of the flooring
I just know there are Lipizzaner Stallions hiding around the corner
Old 6 Apr 2009, 17:48 (Ref:2435357)   #18
scholar96
Rookie

United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Unipower

You think that's bad, you want to see the kitchen!
Old 28 Jan 2014, 22:03 (Ref:3361293)   #19
Surf 1275
Rookie

Surf 1275 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having just purchased the ex Janspeed / Geoff Mabbs Unipower GT that Brian Harvey of C&CC also ran in 1968 I'd be grateful for any information about the car or images associated with it. Especially anyone connected with Universal Power Drives, Arch Motors, Janspeed or Graham Goodman who ran it in 1969. The car also went through Paul Weldon and Chris Alford from what I understand in the 70's.

Any help gratefully recieved.

Many thanks

Pete

Old 21 Dec 2015, 03:34 (Ref:3599063)   #20
Surf 1275
Rookie

Surf 1275 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those interested in these cars there's a new Facebook page dedicated to them here:

https://www.facebook.com/Unipower-GT-926096130743357/

Anyone with any recollections of the cars or the factory at Perivale in the 60s please feel free to contribute!
Old 26 Dec 2015, 16:21 (Ref:3600280)   #21
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some great period film of Ernie Unger showing a "potential customer" around a Unipower in this footage...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUlIHywkJKI

(Together with a bit of a political message)