Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jul 2022, 22:36 (Ref:4119322)   #26
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Thanks for the update!

Piastri was rumoured to be announced as a Williams driver at Silverstone, so the delay is most curious indeed.

It could be that it comes down to a Alpine vs McLaren scenario. Unless Alpine can provide a drive in the actual team, one presumes Piastri's commitment to Alpine is terminated and Piastri is free to sign with McLaren.

Presumably the displaced driver, Alonso or Ricciardo, would appear at Aston Martin assuming Vettel retires or otherwise at Williams.
Rumours of the gaps seem to swirl around Schumacher,Zhou and Pouchaire.
Ricciardo is done.If or rather when his McLaren drive ends his time in F1 is over.Alonso is a different case.Driving at a high level particularly in qualifying,getting easily out scored by Ocon and he will be 41 at the start of any new contract.Lots of conflicting factors.I tend to think if Alpine doesn’t re sign him he will go back to WEC.
Old 13 Jul 2022, 13:38 (Ref:4119392)   #27
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Rumours of the gaps seem to swirl around Schumacher,Zhou and Pouchaire.
Ricciardo is done.If or rather when his McLaren drive ends his time in F1 is over.Alonso is a different case.Driving at a high level particularly in qualifying,getting easily out scored by Ocon and he will be 41 at the start of any new contract.Lots of conflicting factors.I tend to think if Alpine doesn’t re sign him he will go back to WEC.
A couple of blow ins from Indy Car could complicate things.
Old 15 Jul 2022, 02:24 (Ref:4119557)   #28
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps this is Alonso getting a few shots in before departing the scene

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/form...rnando-alonso/
Old 15 Jul 2022, 04:52 (Ref:4119560)   #29
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Perhaps this is Alonso getting a few shots in before departing the scene

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/form...rnando-alonso/
That certainly doesn’t sound like a 41 year old hunting for a new 2 year contract.
Old 15 Jul 2022, 07:12 (Ref:4119563)   #30
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Alonso is very clever (sometimes too clever) at shooting his mouth off and often it's what he doesn't say is the most pointed. Although it's obvious that Mercedes aren't yet up to the pace of Red Bull and Ferrari, I think that leaving his old 'tam mate' off the list of potential winners was another dig...
Old 15 Jul 2022, 12:12 (Ref:4119575)   #31
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Alonso is very clever (sometimes too clever) at shooting his mouth off and often it's what he doesn't say is the most pointed. Although it's obvious that Mercedes aren't yet up to the pace of Red Bull and Ferrari, I think that leaving his old 'tam mate' off the list of potential winners was another dig...
That's the 'tam' worn by the sartorially savvy Scottish driver, Hamish Lewilton?
Old 15 Jul 2022, 13:27 (Ref:4119579)   #32
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
That certainly doesn’t sound like a 41 year old hunting for a new 2 year contract.

I thought it might be a negotiating ploy.... play the not really that bothered card (this recent tone being different to the I can go on for 5 years Im really enjoying it of 6 months ago). Play the love it to bits card too much and you likely wont get offered so much, play the cars are not that much fun, not what was promised, too many races negativity card and Alpine might feel the need to up the offer to keep him there.
Old 15 Jul 2022, 13:46 (Ref:4119581)   #33
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The other part of Alonso's procrastination on will he wont he which he is or seems to be in no hurry to resolve is it puts Oscar's future on hold a bit. Alpine dont want to go too far down the path of releasing Oscar for a year or two elsewhere if Alonso is going to suddenly decide not to continue.

A case of rock and a hard place for Oscar.
Old 15 Jul 2022, 15:40 (Ref:4119590)   #34
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
As often is the case, the headlines are misleading. Brawn said before the regs came into play that he wanted more potential winners. Alonso is pointing out that this has not happened. Unless something odd happens, then if you replace Merc with Ferrari, we have exactly the same number of potential race winners at the moment as we have had for absolutely ages: 4. Or maybe 6 if you think that Merc will come good on a flat billiard table type track.

Aside from that, I do wonder if people are reading too much into what he did and did not say and whether it was meant as a dig at others or whether or not it implies whether he is or is not wanting to drive next season.
Old 15 Jul 2022, 18:58 (Ref:4119614)   #35
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
As often is the case, the headlines are misleading. Brawn said before the regs came into play that he wanted more potential winners. Alonso is pointing out that this has not happened. Unless something odd happens, then if you replace Merc with Ferrari, we have exactly the same number of potential race winners at the moment as we have had for absolutely ages: 4. Or maybe 6 if you think that Merc will come good on a flat billiard table type track.
I tend to think that its very unrealistic to expect much more parity in the first year of the new regulations. While they are not helping things by breaking their own rules by extending the budget cap and letting the big teams spend even more money, hopefully we might see more consolidation in solutions and actual race pace in the next few years. I tend to think this season will see the most drama (some teams getting it badly wrong vs. other getting it significantly right)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Aside from that, I do wonder if people are reading too much into what he did and did not say and whether it was meant as a dig at others or whether or not it implies whether he is or is not wanting to drive next season.
Agree.

Richard
Old 16 Jul 2022, 05:50 (Ref:4119653)   #36
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
I think he wants to drive.However if Alpine have told him he is being replaced by Piastri he needs to lay some ground for a different narrative.
Old 16 Jul 2022, 13:30 (Ref:4119671)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Alonso is showing that aged 40, he's still got it. However Alpine can't afford to wait forever with regards to Piastri. There's the problem
Old 17 Jul 2022, 21:51 (Ref:4119756)   #38
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Alonso is showing that aged 40, he's still got it. However Alpine can't afford to wait forever with regards to Piastri. There's the problem
The delays to the Piastri announcement are not helpful. If Alpine cannot find another drive for Piastri, then Piastri drives the Alpine and there is no vacancy there for Alonso to fill.

Noting that Ocon and Piastri have Alpine contracts for 2023, while Alonso has no Alpine contract for 2023.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 12:29 (Ref:4120741)   #39
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
2022 - 2023 Silly Season

We are a few days from summer holiday, a time of rest recreation and renegotiating.

We have Seb waving goodbye, and Latifi unlikely to keep his seat and question marks over 1 at mclaren, Alpha Tauri and perhaps Alpine. Who knows whats going on at haas and Sauber.. ahem AR.

I think amg, red bull and ferrari wont change

who is in AM? Who is in wiily?
Where is Oscar P, where is Herta? where is Danny R?

soooooo.....
"Let the Silly Season begin!!!"
Old 28 Jul 2022, 14:33 (Ref:4120758)   #40
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My son suggested Stroll Sr. in the other AM car.

Richard
Old 28 Jul 2022, 18:10 (Ref:4120780)   #41
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No chance. Dad Stroll would walk all over Junior!
Old 28 Jul 2022, 18:29 (Ref:4120781)   #42
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Give Jamie Chadwick a chance !
Old 30 Jul 2022, 13:16 (Ref:4120970)   #43
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Now they are saying Porsche are buying into RB (does that give them A Tauri?) and Audi are tying into Sauber.
But they are both part of VAG so they will be fighting against themselves..
My brain hurts Mr Gumby!
Old 31 Jul 2022, 21:40 (Ref:4121283)   #44
Theunser
Racer

Theunser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Aston seat looks so open right now, but I just haven't got a clue who could get it and I doubt AMR has any.

Might send an email to Silverstone....I guess you could never know...
Old 31 Jul 2022, 23:04 (Ref:4121291)   #45
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Now they are saying Porsche are buying into RB (does that give them A Tauri?) and Audi are tying into Sauber.

But they are both part of VAG so they will be fighting against themselves..

My brain hurts Mr Gumby!
Yes, Porsche is claimed to be buying 50% of Red Bull Technology so they would get a stake in AT. I've seen a few different claims of how much RBT owns of AT, Marko has his weird likely tax advantaged ownership games
Old 1 Aug 2022, 08:16 (Ref:4121332)   #46
Theunser
Racer

Theunser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So apparently Alonso is going to Aston Martin. It is official, yet I still can't belive my eyes.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 08:38 (Ref:4121335)   #47
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe Alpine?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Aug 2022, 08:41 (Ref:4121336)   #48
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Yep Fernando in the Aston, so does that put Oscar in the Alpine after all?

https://tinyurl.com/y52sj5nf

I love silly season
Old 1 Aug 2022, 08:43 (Ref:4121337)   #49
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Papa Stroll probably dangled $$$$$ in front of Fernando and he was like "Yep, to Aston I go"
Old 1 Aug 2022, 09:24 (Ref:4121346)   #50
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am wondering if this will turn out to be Fernando's old habit of moving in the wrong direction at the wrong time? Sure, Alpine seems to be good at making bad calls, and the car doesn't really come alive in the races. But, with rumours of Stroll Sr micromanaging and them not really moving forward I wonder if this is a smart move?

I guess Fernando knows he will not be in a Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull and needs a change. Or does he?