Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Apr 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1283185)   #1
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Those dam kerbs !!

The image that almost immediately comes to mind when I think of Imola, is that of high kerbs and F1 machinery worth millions of dollars, jumping them. I find it most annoying and somehow it is undignified that drivers are forced to drive this way to get the best times. For the casual fan, I think it may be a turn off as well. Comments?
Old 20 Apr 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1283192)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
If the kerbs weren't there,they'd just straight-line everything.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1283197)   #3
Canberra>karter
Rookie

Canberra>karter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Casual fans love seeing F1 cars getting airborne, it adds to the on the edge feeling.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1283203)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A good mix of circuits is what we need....some with high kerbs other which are smoother...
Old 20 Apr 2005, 18:01 (Ref:1283206)   #5
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People have to remember the tracks aren't solely used by F1 cars either, the kerbs have to be big enough to stop GT's thundering over them aswell.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1283227)   #6
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
actually as a devoted f1 fan I love it!! It conjures up images of the cars from the 70's bouncing around the track, tail out on every bend. It adds to the visual spectacle of the car constantly on the edge which IMO is what F1 is all about.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 18:30 (Ref:1283235)   #7
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Curb/Kerb?

Slightly offtopic: I and a friend were just wondering, what's the correct spelling of the word curb/kerb? I seem to have learned long time ago that the correct spelling was indeed kerb, but every newssite seem to write curb? Is that just an anglofication of an unlogically spelled word, or is the correct spelling curb?

Last edited by the_royksopp; 20 Apr 2005 at 18:30.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1283254)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The correct spelling in English is kerb.

A lot of people wrongly pronounce it curb and this spell it wrongly - although I believe this may be the US spelling.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1283257)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

A lot of people wrongly pronounce it curb and this spell it wrongly - although I believe this may be the US spelling.
"and this spell it wrongly" Nice going K-B.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1283291)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

You mean us Yanks are wrong again!? Yes thats how we spell it, curb.

I also love to watch those million dollar machines run over those big curbs. It's just another way to show some driver skill ,and some manufacturer reliabilty to handle those kerbs, oops, I mean curbs...

Danica Patrick
Old 20 Apr 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1283297)   #11
djinvicta
Subscriber
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Kirk; you prefer the airdrome circuits instead? Flat wide and boring. This weekend these guys have to "drive" the cars on one of the oldest GP circuits filled with nostalgia and memories of race drivers now gone. Sunday as night falls the silence must be deafening..
Old 20 Apr 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1283306)   #12
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Filled with nostalgia and memories of a racetrack first and foremost. And that is what is so bad about this Imola: after 94 the once brillant and exciting track was changed into a chicanefest. Granted, Tosa had to be changed, Ratzinger's crash proved that it was a fatal-accident-to-happen-corner.
I am not so sure about Tamburello, though. I feel that if they had moved in the wall to border right next to the track, it would have been like in an oval: cars going into the wall would have had a very small angle and the energy would have been scrubbed off.

Well, anyways, Imola is just a track that is not suited for modern F1 or any racing with cars above say 230km/h. The short straights just deny any chance of overtaking and chicanes are always a sign of bad track design.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1283323)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Imola is more of a driving challenge now than before the 95 changes.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 22:32 (Ref:1283408)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The kerbs are largely a symptom of the chicanes which sprouted post 1994.

There was a rumour of Imola returning to some of its 1994 glory about 2 years ago, in which they were going to reprofile Tamburello into a flat left hander once again, and make Villenueve more of an overtaking opportunity, before a squirt into Tosa. They were also going to make Rivazza the final turn, and completely bypass the Bassa chicane, but like most things that would be good for F1 this idea was quickly scrapped im sure...

Thats true KB, Imola is now more of a challenging track that it was pre 1994, but that doesn't mean its going to produce good racing, which it never does.
Even touring car racing is dull from Imola.

Last edited by Sodemo; 20 Apr 2005 at 22:39.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 23:29 (Ref:1283441)   #15
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
You mean us Yanks are wrong again!? Yes thats how we spell it, curb.

I also love to watch those million dollar machines run over those big curbs. It's just another way to show some driver skill ,and some manufacturer reliabilty to handle those kerbs, oops, I mean curbs...

Darling boy - you say tomayto and I say tomarto!

Let's curb this nonsense! (I love you really).