Old 9 Apr 2010, 18:00 (Ref:2669608)   #1
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shock damage after a week in 2 post car lift

Hi,

this is the second time that -since I started owning a car 5 years ago- after sending it to major engine repair and being 1 week lifted in this kind of hydraulic 2 post lifts:

I take the car to the road and feel something weird till I realize one or some shocks are as hard as a rock. It has happened to my with a small VW Gol 1.6L a couple of years ago and now with my Audi A3.

After having the car lifted for a week, the road feels more bumpy than usual and one or more shock needed to replace.

What do you think? Coincidence? Has it happened to you?
What can be causing it?
Old 12 Apr 2010, 16:39 (Ref:2671507)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I've used 2 post wheel free lifts for years and years and have never seen or heard of this.
If the damper rods have been bent somehow, like driving on rough roads with potholes this could be the problem ?
Maybe the integral valves on the shock absorbers can jam if they are left in the fully extended position ? but as I said I have never had it happen !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 12 Apr 2010 at 16:45.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Apr 2010, 16:47 (Ref:2671511)   #3
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What sort of garage could afford to tie up a 2 post lift for 2 weeks because of some engine work on one car?

Unless of course there was some unexpected suspension work going on as well.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2671642)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
What sort of garage could afford to tie up a 2 post lift for 2 weeks because of some engine work on one car?

Unless of course there was some unexpected suspension work going on as well.
Unless it was like mine the other week that got stuck halfway down (the ramp that is)
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Apr 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2672776)   #5
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My car stays on jackstands for a large part of the winter and I've never had a problem. That is very odd...
Old 14 Apr 2010, 18:50 (Ref:2672792)   #6
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the damage was already done before you had taken the car in and you hadn't noticed because you drove the car everyday.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 17:54 (Ref:2673261)   #7
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux1234 View Post
Maybe the damage was already done before you had taken the car in and you hadn't noticed because you drove the car everyday.
No way I wouldnt notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp
I said 1 week, not 2.
But I took the car on friday afternoon just a minute before they closed, they cheked it and I guess they left the car there the whole weekend. I was traevling next week so arrived to pick up the car on thursday and it was already on the floor, so thats even less than a week.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 19:26 (Ref:2673303)   #8
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belatti View Post
I said 1 week, not 2.
Indeed you did - my apologies for my inaccuracy. I did notice the misremembered information but too late to be able to edit the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belatti View Post
But I took the car on friday afternoon just a minute before they closed, they cheked it and I guess they left the car there the whole weekend. I was traevling next week so arrived to pick up the car on thursday and it was already on the floor, so thats even less than a week.
I have seen cars that seem to have extra ride height after new shock absorbers have been fitted (or other suspension work has been undertaken) but those I have seen more thanonce seem to have settled to their previous position within a short time.

The only things I can think of, assuming the garage did not have to remove any suspension components to do the engine work, is that the shock absorbers have somehow locked into a fully extended position, a spring has turned and is not working correctly or the units have been changed for some reason and may not be the correct ones.

My only personal experience of suspension problems after engine work was from a garage who needed to drop an A-Frame unde the engine in order to change a sump panel which had a dripping sump plug. When they refitted the A-Frame they failed to do a wheel alignment check and left the car very willing to steer left but not at all willing to steer right. However the work did not affect the function of the shock absorbers.

It did take them several expensive attempts to get the engine work right despite the fact that there seemed to be nothing wrong at the service other than a frayed cam belt due to a failed bearing cluster. The resultant repair session managed to last 3 months and cost a lot of money.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2673824)   #9
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
thanks grantp!

I know for sure they took front right off to change the timming belt, but the problem (this time with the Audi, as before in the VW) was always in the rear...

I´ll re-check rear spring just in case. Otherwise I´ll have to replace shocks but Im a bit short of money right now, as in the 1.8T 20v, the blet replacement requires water pump and 2 tensor bearing replacement, too.
I had also replaced spark plugs, oil and the 4 filters... ouch!!!
Old 15 Jun 2010, 06:40 (Ref:2712389)   #10
NITRO35
Rookie

NITRO35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very amazing your story.