Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 30 Jul 2013, 07:56 (Ref:3283669)   #26
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a long chat with a driver at Mallory a few years ago - Look what happened............................!!
Seriously tho', it has led to a series of "lively discussions" at most meetings and has been a real eye opener for both of us!
Old 30 Jul 2013, 08:35 (Ref:3283680)   #27
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible-Tones View Post
... Luckily neither of us are "distracted" by "fame" - ...
Thank God I'm not the only one. Never understood 'celebrity worship', hunting autographs, memorabilia, etc. That gene must be missing from my DNA.

I'm all in favour of good dialogue twixt marshals and all drivers but (and I speak only for myself) not as an excuse to bathe in their reflected glory. Having said that I wouldn't turn down a peck on the cheek from Jasmine Le Bon.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 08:45 (Ref:3283688)   #28
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simone taking me for a few laps around The Ring in her 911 would do it for me.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3283689)   #29
icorper
Racer

England
Farnborough, Hants
icorper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some interesting responses so far.

Sabine Schmitz for me, though she would probably frighten me to death (but what a way to go)
Old 30 Jul 2013, 09:08 (Ref:3283697)   #30
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's it Sabine not Simone, never was much good with ladies names!
Old 30 Jul 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3283714)   #31
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Just as well, as I spend a lot of time around marshals!

King bauble
Old 30 Jul 2013, 12:11 (Ref:3283758)   #32
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Met Sabine in a hotel in Dubai this year when she was competing in the 24 Hour race, right bundle of fun she was.

Right after the race returning to the hotel I was having a cold beer when she came in, put her elbows on the bar, thrust 'top half' out and demanded just one word - BEER......good girl.

Bladders.......
Old 30 Jul 2013, 13:12 (Ref:3283785)   #33
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
Thank God I'm not the only one. Never understood 'celebrity worship', hunting autographs, memorabilia, etc. That gene must be missing from my DNA.
I guess working for BBC for 17 years and meeting/working with no end of celebs/VIPS/infamous/famous as part of the role probably put the nail in that particular coffin for me
Old 30 Jul 2013, 13:14 (Ref:3283787)   #34
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Must have been the "chat up king" then....
Old 30 Jul 2013, 13:15 (Ref:3283788)   #35
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

Just as well, as I spend a lot of time around marshals!

King bauble
Surely "Sir Bauble"?
Old 30 Jul 2013, 15:08 (Ref:3283815)   #36
icorper
Racer

England
Farnborough, Hants
Quote:
I guess working for BBC for 17 years and meeting/working with no end of celebs/VIPS/infamous/famous as part of the role probably put the nail in that particular coffin for me
I bet you used to enjoy it though
Old 30 Jul 2013, 15:18 (Ref:3283818)   #37
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I once had a pair of (then rookie) CART drivers ask me if I wanted their autographs! When I explained I was just looking for a particular part of the garages where the marshals' lunches were, their faces fell. It was a real laugh... more so in light of their later exploits. They used to remind me of it once in awhile, and I would tease them if they ended up on my turn, "How about that autograph now?"
keke
Old 30 Jul 2013, 15:29 (Ref:3283823)   #38
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Quote:
Originally Posted by icorper View Post
I bet you used to enjoy it though
You have touched off a bit of a raw nerve because I really miss the job.

The actual technical work was great - unless you'd been down Downing St in the pouring rain for 6 hours waiting to get a 5 sec shot of a minister! I was never happier (and never as happy since - apart fom marshalling) than when I had a camera on my shoulder!

The job did allow you to go to all sorts of interesting places and meet interesting people though...

With regards to celebs/vips etc then, well, nothing special in the job, it was part of it and we had an etiquette to follow, as we do in marshalling. You quickly learn that these people are just that, people. They have on days, and off days, some are inherently nice, some not so, (and it is really surprising who is and who isn't!) Above all they all have private lives, and despite how we all feel about them, we do not actually know them, (unless you are a close work mate, personal friend or family).

Anyhow - sort of off topic so I will shut up now
Old 30 Jul 2013, 15:52 (Ref:3283825)   #39
icorper
Racer

England
Farnborough, Hants
Quote:
Above all they all have private lives, and despite how we all feel about them, we do not actually know them
I know exactly what you mean, I bumped into Felicity Kendall while she was shopping in Harrods in the 80s (I was just wandering around as I could only just afford the entry fee), I wouldn't have dreamt of asking for the time of day let alone an autograph.

I have a long list of celebs and drivers that I have bumped into over the years and have a sum total of zero autographs.

Even got thrown in a lake once by Jim Davidson while he was fishing.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 16:21 (Ref:3283837)   #40
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
I once had a pair of (then rookie) CART drivers ask me if I wanted their autographs! When I explained I was just looking for a particular part of the garages where the marshals' lunches were, their faces fell. It was a real laugh... more so in light of their later exploits. They used to remind me of it once in awhile, and I would tease them if they ended up on my turn, "How about that autograph now?"
keke
Nina says she is available for autographs anytime!
Old 30 Jul 2013, 16:30 (Ref:3283840)   #41
icorper
Racer

England
Farnborough, Hants
Nice one
Old 30 Jul 2013, 21:00 (Ref:3283942)   #42
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I have a long list of celebs and drivers that I have bumped into over the years and have a sum total of zero autographs.
Yep, same here. In fact, as far as celebs are concerned I usually don't have a clue who they are as they're inevitable pop or soap stars, neither of which do I take any interest in. Once had a 20 minute chat with Chris Rea, knowing only that he was driving a Ferrari because he was in overalls. Didn't even know he was famous until he went to leave and the other marshals asked for his autograph.

I don't particularly want to meet drivers because they are or might be famous, I just think it's good for the meeting if the two groups who depend on each other get to know each other better in pleasant circumstances. We each appreciate the others' point of view better.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3283969)   #43
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
First incident I had to deal with on my second day was a pull-off after a beautiful 50s (60s? I dunno) Alfa Giulietta broke down at Donington. Got driver out, got behind wall, had chat. Lovely girl, bit miffed as "all I ever do is break down".

At the end of the race it was pointed out to me that it was HOLLY MASON! "Er, who?" I replied. "NICK MASON'S DAUGHTER!" to which my response was... you guessed it "Er, who?"

Pink Floyd never were my cup of tea.

Nice car, though, even if it did conk out!

(edit: just looked up that she married Marino Franchitti just before that incident. I know who he is... some racing driver, right?)

Last edited by Greem; 30 Jul 2013 at 22:28.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 22:46 (Ref:3283978)   #44
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Yep, same here. In fact, as far as celebs are concerned I usually don't have a clue who they are as they're inevitable pop or soap stars, neither of which do I take any interest in. Once had a 20 minute chat with Chris Rea, knowing only that he was driving a Ferrari because he was in overalls. Didn't even know he was famous until he went to leave and the other marshals asked for his autograph.
Had a couple of occasions like that myself. One was at the first Revival when i was chatting with another marshal on the Sunday evening. An American came up & shook our hands & thanked us for keeping him safe. Chatted with us for five minutes or so. When he left I asked who that was and found out it was Danny Sullivan.

The other occasion was many years ago I went to watch some filming of 'Revolution" in Ely Park. I got chatting with this chap, Canadian accent, smartly dressed & carrying a briefcase. We talked about the film and he asked me about Ely, saying how beautiful the Cathedral was. After about twenty minutes he left. Then someone tapped me on the shoulder & asked if I knew who I had been talking to. I said no. Oh you didn't recognise Donald Sutherland without his beard then.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 10:20 (Ref:3284148)   #45
icorper
Racer

England
Farnborough, Hants
Quote:
Pink Floyd never were my cup of tea.
Just reminded me of another incident.

I was at a works xmas party, and spent nearly an hour at the bar with a bloke talking about web sites and furniture restoration. I had no idea who he was.

Turned out it was Paul 'Rick' Buckler The Jam Drummer.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 16:39 (Ref:3284308)   #46
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebrown View Post
The other occasion was many years ago I went to watch some filming of 'Revolution" in Ely Park. I got chatting with this chap, Canadian accent, smartly dressed & carrying a briefcase.
Canadians have an accent? Really?
keke
Old 31 Jul 2013, 19:04 (Ref:3284355)   #47
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Racing drivers are those ones wearing helmets, right? So how are you supposed to recognise them without?

My best claim to fame was as a student selling curtains in a department store and being so "rude" to Bonnie Langford (and her mum) that they stormed out. By "rude", I mean that I didn't play ball and pander to her "fame" - it was the '80s. This is still a matter of pride even 30 years on.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 19:07 (Ref:3284357)   #48
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
Canadians have an accent? Really?
keke
It's just a funny American accent

[I'm already running away]
Old 31 Jul 2013, 23:00 (Ref:3284421)   #49
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Turned out it was Paul 'Rick' Buckler The Jam Drummer.
My point exactly. None the wiser now!

My highlight was Shane Lynch when he turned up in the Legends celeb car on the Mallory oval. He was impressive and I was passing him in the paddock while he was all alone and looking lost, so I stopped for a chat to congratulate him on how well he was driving. "By the way," I finished, "Since it's a celeb car, who are you?". He told me and I looked blank. "Boyzone", he added, slightly sheepishly. "Ah," replied, "I've heard of them..."
Old 1 Aug 2013, 06:48 (Ref:3284520)   #50
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry Chris, I still think Bonnie Langford wins!!!!!