Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Jun 2014, 15:57 (Ref:3426358)   #26
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All I can say is, it's not what the owners of many of the 1950s cars will say, so maybe my remarks lose validity post say 1965! All historic cars are more powerful these days, but that tends surely to accentuate the movement and sliding. All I know is that there is genuine concern among the guys who run on older type tyres that if some one with a later car and/or stickier tyre overtakes them round they risk hitting the car because they are sliding/drifting quite normally, and then get accused of reckless driving by the driver of said overtaking vehicle. They really don't mix.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 22:15 (Ref:3426472)   #27
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John I could not agree more . My recent outing with MG Live at silverstone where I was racing my fia mgb in the bcv8 race where the majority of cars are running either slicks (modified midgets were joining us) or Yokos was testimony to that.

Several times I was being perfectly legitimately overtaken by other 'b's running on sticky rubber but they were doing so on the outside of a corner and holding the line whereas I was in a (perfectly usual for an fia MGB) four wheel drift and sliding out towards them which lead to some interesting moments!
Old 25 Jun 2014, 23:40 (Ref:3426497)   #28
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dumb question, but... Out of curiousity, what would a combined grid in the UK look like? Meaning, what kind of stuff would I see out there at the same time?
Old 26 Jun 2014, 06:05 (Ref:3426597)   #29
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Dumb question, but... Out of curiousity, what would a combined grid in the UK look like? Meaning, what kind of stuff would I see out there at the same time?
It could be something as simple as two organisers running identical category cars together in same race (as original post), cars (like the FF2000s also mentioned) from different eras that usually race for separate championships combining, to touring cars and GTs from same era, but that normally have own races, combining......

Old 26 Jun 2014, 06:27 (Ref:3426603)   #30
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
...or running out and out sports racers against road cars of the same period. Take a look at some of the pictures on the HSCC website of the Guards series where you might have Ginetta's or Elva's running with MGB's and TVR's

Or, as discussed on this thread, same cars running to different specs with say different tyres
Old 26 Jun 2014, 08:03 (Ref:3426638)   #31
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
...or running out and out sports racers against road cars of the same period. Take a look at some of the pictures on the HSCC website of the Guards series where you might have Ginetta's or Elva's running with MGB's and TVR's

Or, as discussed on this thread, same cars running to different specs with say different tyres
Nick to be fair so long as the sports racers are pre 66 then it was as period.... the gripe most have is including the later cars like the Ginetta's and B8's as they were late 60's. They would be more appropriate in HRS with the cars running on yokis as they include late 60's cars.

As a suggestion if all sports racres are taken out of Guards maybe the Elan 26R's and lightweight E Types should go as well as they were considered a sports prototype rather than a regular GT.....
Old 26 Jun 2014, 11:49 (Ref:3426734)   #32
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that would get my vote Simon!
Old 26 Jun 2014, 12:45 (Ref:3426755)   #33
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I'd take Simon's view further- 'anything quicker than a Sabre 6 or Gilbern GT'!

Old 26 Jun 2014, 13:59 (Ref:3426787)   #34
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I'd take Simon's view further- 'anything quicker than a Sabre 6 or Gilbern GT'!

that would make a grid of two and entry fees of about £10k each.... !!!

Whilst we are on the subject of massaged grids its about time we got Julius to ressurect the pre 63 saloon grid, my Mk2 is ready!
Old 30 Jun 2014, 08:43 (Ref:3428470)   #35
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
"that would make a grid of two and entry fees of about £10k each.... !!" [Quote]

And I would still come third!!