Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 2 Sep 2019, 05:35 (Ref:3925331)   #1
OSTKURVE
Rookie

United States
Los Angeles
OSTKURVE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercedes' 2019 DTM Withdrawal

I watched a few rounds of the DTM this afternoon & I was surprised to see there were no Mercedes on the grid.

Paul Di Resta now pilots an Aston Martin prepared by R-Motorsports.

I read an article that said Mercedes decided not to return to the series to dedicate its resources to Formula E.

I found this odd as Mercedes has completed in the DTM since the inception of tbe series fielding works cars & privateers purchased ex-works cars & competed.

Why abandon a series which you've been an integral part of?
Old 2 Sep 2019, 06:13 (Ref:3925332)   #2
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSTKURVE View Post
I watched a few rounds of the DTM this afternoon & I was surprised to see there were no Mercedes on the grid.

Paul Di Resta now pilots an Aston Martin prepared by R-Motorsports.

I read an article that said Mercedes decided not to return to the series to dedicate its resources to Formula E.

I found this odd as Mercedes has completed in the DTM since the inception of tbe series fielding works cars & privateers purchased ex-works cars & competed.

Why abandon a series which you've been an integral part of?
Mainly because it was costing a fortune and for an ever diminishing marketing benefit.

In Mercedes' key markets (China, Japan, USA) DTM has no profile whatsoever.

You'll find a lot of manufacturers, like Audi and DS are only putting money into Formula E.
Old 2 Sep 2019, 06:42 (Ref:3925337)   #3
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
You'll find a lot of manufacturers, like Audi and DS are only putting money into Formula E.
The same Audi that has a works DTM team?
Old 2 Sep 2019, 12:24 (Ref:3925391)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's a good job we have 3 manufacturers still, it shows the series can survive
Old 2 Sep 2019, 18:06 (Ref:3925450)   #5
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
For how much longer? The costs of the cars are huge, and the audience, like WTCR in many respects, is pretty small.

I can see VAG pulling Audi out in the near future. Pushing the electric future is VAGs plan to rebuild and comeback bigger and stronger after dieselgate.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 09:32 (Ref:3925543)   #6
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it was a mistake to downsize the engines from V8s to turbos fours in an era of electrification. Audi, BMW and Merc/R-Motorsport had to spend significant funds developing new engines, which then lead to one team (Audi) being dominant.

They could have kept the V8 for one more season and implemented a hybrid system from one supplier onto their existing engines for 2020. It would have been more market-relevant and potentially not as expensive.

Now their's talk of adding electrification to the sport at a later date. They will have had to make two transitions instead of just one.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 11:15 (Ref:3925569)   #7
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
For how much longer? The costs of the cars are huge, and the audience, like WTCR in many respects, is pretty small.
I’ve never seen WTCR have 100,000 + crowds like the core DTM races.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 13:40 (Ref:3925595)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
WTCR only really attracts big crowds at Macau. DTM has been getting good crowds for donkeys
Old 3 Sep 2019, 14:03 (Ref:3925605)   #9
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
There’s a decent crowd in Macau, but not for the WTCR. They’re there for the F3 and the bikes. A lot also watch the GTs.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 15:13 (Ref:3925621)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Mind that Mercedes is present in Formula 1, and winning a lot.