Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 2 Apr 2018, 15:07 (Ref:3812496)   #701
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
as a club racing series, which it is, it will continually struggle because its just too expensive for what it offers
So where's the line between a "club" racing series and ones that aren't then?
Old 2 Apr 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3812507)   #702
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
So where's the line between a "club" racing series and ones that aren't then?
generally a club series or event is one that is just organsied by the racing club that hires the circuit for the weekend.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 17:11 (Ref:3812521)   #703
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
My album from Sunday. Hopefully you can view the FB link.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=2ab969071f
Old 2 Apr 2018, 17:14 (Ref:3812522)   #704
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
generally a club series or event is one that is just organsied by the racing club that hires the circuit for the weekend.
So therefore it clearly isn’t. Nobody in racing would think it is anyway.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 19:08 (Ref:3812533)   #705
TR4racer
Racer

United Kingdom
London
TR4racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Well, I think that in the UK, the TCR series just doesn't make sense. BTCC will always be in a better position and furthermore, with all support package + British GT also racing in Britain, there are lots of opportunities for aspiring drivers wanting to get to BTCC. TCR is completely unnecessary. Cars are not much less powerful and much slower, they are not much cheaper either, so it is hard to treat it as a true feeder series for BTCC. For me, as long as BTCC is in good health, with so many entries, teams, tv coverage and simply an established position, TCR UK doesn't and won't make sense. I wouldn't be at all surprised if TCR UK closes down after 2019 after failing to complete a stable grid of more than 10 cars once again.
An interesting perspective. However, BTCC ran a fastest lap of 59.2 at Silverstone last year, TCR UK ran a fastest lap of 58.6 with several drivers under 59 seconds...all verifiable through TSL. track conditions and weather are, of course, variables. It does seem to contradict your point though. As for not being cheaper...I think a new BTCC car is over £300k, a new TCR car is around €127k for the i30 (around £112k at today’s rates). I think you will see BTCC adopt the TCR regs when NGT has run its course..just my point of view though 😊😊
Old 2 Apr 2018, 19:23 (Ref:3812538)   #706
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4racer View Post
An interesting perspective. However, BTCC ran a fastest lap of 59.2 at Silverstone last year, TCR UK ran a fastest lap of 58.6 with several drivers under 59 seconds...all verifiable through TSL. track conditions and weather are, of course, variables. It does seem to contradict your point though. As for not being cheaper...I think a new BTCC car is over £300k, a new TCR car is around €127k for the i30 (around £112k at today’s rates). I think you will see BTCC adopt the TCR regs when NGT has run its course..just my point of view though 😊😊
Silverstone has been completely resurfaced so all lap time are faster now than last year. besides what has lap times got to do with how great a series is? thundersaloons, porsche carerra cup, british GT etc etc are much faster but that doesn’t make them better championships
Old 2 Apr 2018, 19:28 (Ref:3812539)   #707
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
So therefore it clearly isn’t. Nobody in racing would think it is anyway.
but that’s exactly what it is. you must be under some illusion that silverstone and the other circuits actually put their hand in their pocket and promote small events like this? no.

the brscc pays to hire silverstone and the others circuits to put them on. everyone involved in racing knows how club racing operates like that.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 19:44 (Ref:3812543)   #708
TR4racer
Racer

United Kingdom
London
TR4racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Silverstone has been completely resurfaced so all lap time are faster now than last year. besides what has lap times got to do with how great a series is? thundersaloons, porsche carerra cup, british GT etc etc are much faster but that doesn’t make them better championships
Interesting...I was merely pointing out that the cars are not ‘much slower’ as suggested and are a lot cheaper against the NGT cars in response to an earlier post....I am pretty sure that I did not say anything about being greater than any other series be using lap times as a comparison.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 19:48 (Ref:3812544)   #709
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
but that’s exactly what it is. you must be under some illusion that silverstone and the other circuits actually put their hand in their pocket and promote small events like this? no.

the brscc pays to hire silverstone and the others circuits to put them on. everyone involved in racing knows how club racing operates like that.
Are you insane? Don’t you think the BTCC pays circuit hire fees??

Do you realise the same clubs run BTCC meetings??? Lol
Old 2 Apr 2018, 19:49 (Ref:3812545)   #710
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He didn't say that the lap times have anything to do with how great the series is. He was answering an incorrect statement that the cars are "much slower". TCR cars are certainly not "much slower" than the NGTC cars. They probably are slightly slower given the new surface, but certainly not as slow as has been stated.

People seem to want to hate this series. BTCC has been in worse places than TCR UK is right now. I've stood in the snow at Donington watching 10 cars all arguing about who wanted to be last in the race, just so they could get a reverse grid pole - and then the pole sitter pulled into the pits on the formation lap to avoid the embarrassment of being too slow to compete with the rest of the grid. So let's remember where BTCC has been in the past.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 19:55 (Ref:3812547)   #711
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Are you insane? Don’t you think the BTCC pays circuit hire fees??

Do you realise the same clubs run BTCC meetings??? Lol
you obviously don’t understand how it works.

of course btcc does not pay circuit fees as it’s a big promoted event and the circuits actually pay to bring the event to their venue and they make their money back from spectator tickets, hospitality etc.

but it’s the exact opposite with the smaller ‘club’ events. the clubs actually pay the circuit a fee to hire the venue for the weekend.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 20:13 (Ref:3812549)   #712
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:

of course btcc does not pay circuit fees as it’s a big promoted event and the circuits actually pay to bring the event to their venue and they make their money back from spectator tickets, hospitality etc.

but it’s the exact opposite with the smaller ‘club’ events. the clubs actually pay the circuit a fee to hire the venue for the weekend.
Sorry to offend. Yes, I do know how it works. It’s my profession.

I had forgotten a golden rule of not arguing with BTCC fans due to the unbelievable naïveté and rise-tinted glasses on here.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 20:46 (Ref:3812557)   #713
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Proves how little you know about the tcr UK championship.

The entries etc go through the tcr UK promoter not BRSCC.

BRSCC just organise the meeting for the tcr promoter and provide the support series.

Which is a very similar arrangement to BARC and TOCA.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Apr 2018, 21:03 (Ref:3812559)   #714
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

This is exactly how it works.

For club meetings the BARC, BRSCC etc hire the circuit and look to recover the costs from the competitors. For ‘promoted’ meetings such as BTCC, BSB etc, the circuits pay the promoter a fee to attend, the circuits look to recover the costs from spectators, sponsors etc. The BARC run the BTCC meetings as the MSA regulations require a registered club to act as the organisers.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 21:07 (Ref:3812561)   #715
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
Proves how little you know about the tcr UK championship.

The entries etc go through the tcr UK promoter not BRSCC.

BRSCC just organise the meeting for the tcr promoter and provide the support series.

Which is a very similar arrangement to BARC and TOCA.

proves how little you know about what we are talking about.
we are not talking about the entry fees. we are talking about the fact that the brscc hires the circuit from silverstone for the event. the entry fees collected then go towards offsetting the cost of hiring the circuit.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 21:09 (Ref:3812562)   #716
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletubby View Post
This is exactly how it works.

For club meetings the BARC, BRSCC etc hire the circuit and look to recover the costs from the competitors. For ‘promoted’ meetings such as BTCC, BSB etc, the circuits pay the promoter a fee to attend, the circuits look to recover the costs from spectators, sponsors etc. The BARC run the BTCC meetings as the MSA regulations require a registered club to act as the organisers.
thank you.
finally someone who also actually knows how it works instead of those who pretend that they know.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 21:11 (Ref:3812563)   #717
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Haters gonna hate...
Old 2 Apr 2018, 21:17 (Ref:3812564)   #718
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just watched Race 1 (was on Easter Sunday duties whilst the racing took place). Used the YouTube live stream.

My overriding thoughts are that this was a superb first race. I have watched countless live streams and footage of small, club level championships - the quality of production of the TCR UK races was way above those championships. I am genuinely (and happily) impressed by the presenting, commentary and style of the whole show. TCR can really take a bow, it was better footage than many UK-based championships, for sure.

The racing too was excellent. I agree with others, the races seem a little long, but that would be my only criticism. The midfield battles early on were superb, and the drivers/teams all seem very positive about the running of the weekend. I hope to go to a round later in the year.

I know there are a number of teams looking to enter TCR UK this season - I expect Knockhill may see a dip in entries due to the travelling, but the only way is up from there. I have high hopes.

Fair play to all involved, they've pulled it off. How anyone can still be negative I am stunned.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3812567)   #719
Voiceofthepaddock
Rookie

Voiceofthepaddock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having worked in and won championships in Btcc and TCR I really hope TCR UK works out it’s something fresh the UK needs fair priced cars fair priced spare parts and good customer service from the manufacturers. All I remember from Btcc was the meddling of Peter Ritchie’s and his daft kid having to add weight on and above the success ballest just so some farmer tuner team could keep up charging a quarter of the price of a proper team. From speaking to freinds working in the championship now it’s even worse with the turbos with such a big difference in the toca boost sensors they hand out at each round not picked out of a hat they just give the best one to who they want to win with 60mb difference between that’s massive in a turbo engine. It can’t come down to the last race every year without some meddling and for that my experience of tcr is that it’s much more straight that’s why I have no interest in watching something where the best driver and team have there job made harder just to keep it close. It will be a tough start when you have Btcc drives going for 100k like The last signing announced just to fill the grid but I am sure it will work in the UK in the end and I wish them all the best . And in reply to club racing there are some talented drivers at club level don’t knock it better that than rich business men going racing just to be on the tv on a Sunday afternoon that can’t drive a soapy stick. The Mx5 race at the weekend was like karting proper clean respectful close racing well worth watching TCR for that support race alone.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 22:11 (Ref:3812569)   #720
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the weekend showed promise for the Tcr UK championship and I hope it goes from where it is now to a position of strength alongside Btcc.

If anyone else wants to make this discussion more constructive and less dominated by one negative voice I recommend blocking touringfan01 by clicking on his name and hitting ignore. He can then argue with himself about it

Old 2 Apr 2018, 23:44 (Ref:3812572)   #721
peebee2
Veteran

It’s sad. You won’t get any support by revealing that the BTCC is totally manipulated. Fan-types will just deny it.

It can be great to watch, and a great spectacle, but open racing it isn’t, which is exactly why there is space for something alongside it.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 01:12 (Ref:3812574)   #722
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Logical that Lloyd should do a full season, he’s had a good start and the more entries the better
I can't remember the last time Lloyd did a full season of anything.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 01:58 (Ref:3812579)   #723
jakew7498
Rookie

jakew7498 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
I can't remember the last time Lloyd did a full season of anything.
I had a look and the last one that was easy to find on Wiki was 2012 Porsche Carrera Cup GB driving for Team Parker.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 07:26 (Ref:3812592)   #724
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think TCR uk debut layed down a decent marker, it has the potential to be a real affordable touring car series , Lots of so called top BTCC teams I heard through the grape vine ditched it because of the promotional side and the TCR lack of TV airtime . So that tells me they are in BTCC for ,cash first competition second . A TCR car has much greater potential to run in multi championships a BTCC car is 3 times the money , needs 50k spending on development at the end of each year ! and is worth nothing to anyone outside BTCC.

The World championship never adopted NGTC regs but it adopted TCR didnt it and with TCR electric potential its future proofing itself , I wonder where BTCC stance on electric is , Electric touring cars is coming for sure.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 07:57 (Ref:3812596)   #725
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Which has what to do with the standard and quality of the racing?