Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 21 Jul 2022, 17:18 (Ref:4120052)   #451
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Albuquerque wanting to do away with double points at Le Mans.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...nts-structure/

Has he got a point?

I tend to agree. WEC post-LM needs all the help it can get currently. I think points and a half at Le Mans makes sense. So say, 38 for a win vs 50 you get now. Personally don't think you need more points for the eight-hour events. And add a couple of rounds back up to a proper looking calendar and it probably sorts the issue out.
Old 21 Jul 2022, 18:47 (Ref:4120065)   #452
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Albuquerque wanting to do away with double points at Le Mans.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...nts-structure/

Has he got a point?

I tend to agree. WEC post-LM needs all the help it can get currently. I think points and a half at Le Mans makes sense. So say, 38 for a win vs 50 you get now. Personally don't think you need more points for the eight-hour events. And add a couple of rounds back up to a proper looking calendar and it probably sorts the issue out.
It always amazes me how much lack of interest there is post LM; both Autosport & Pistonheads have pages and pages on LM; a month later a barely a dozen comments for Monza. How do we change that; it's not healthy for one event to overshadow the rest of the season.
Old 21 Jul 2022, 20:36 (Ref:4120074)   #453
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i’d go for points at intervals during the race and then the final result points having the same value as a 6 hour race. then the teams who have some crap luck and don’t make it the full 24 hours flawlessly have something to chase for and potentially it could make strategies slughtly more interesting.
Old 21 Jul 2022, 21:47 (Ref:4120078)   #454
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's what IMSA does for the longer races, points are earned at points in the race and then at the checkers for the Endurance Cup. And teams build strategy around both overall win and if they need points. I think Daytona is every 6 hours but I can't remember exactly.
Old 22 Jul 2022, 00:02 (Ref:4120085)   #455
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like that idea too.

Overall though I’m not sure that any impact on the championship matters that much. It might be the difference between tiny number of people and small number of people caring. It’s a niche sport.
Make the events so people want to go. Fun family and convenient events. Maximise that.
Old 22 Jul 2022, 07:33 (Ref:4120101)   #456
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree that double points is too much but disagree on awarding points throughout the race. It's like that stupid NASCAR stage racing. It's an endurance race and the idea is to endure to the finish.

Furthermore it's another arbitrary rule to explain when we are lamenting the lack of interest in the series. It's complicated enough for the casual viewer.
Old 22 Jul 2022, 10:24 (Ref:4120122)   #457
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I see your point, although I dint think it’ll be like NASCAR as the race won’t stop after each stage.

From what I’ve seen it doesn’t make much difference to the actual race. Do people modify their strategy to be ahead at the check points? I guess they must, but I don’t think it’s widespread.
Old 22 Jul 2022, 12:19 (Ref:4120125)   #458
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe they should try and put Le Mans at the end of the season to make sure people's interest is there the whole way!

sent during haircut
Old 23 Jul 2022, 11:20 (Ref:4120207)   #459
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Do people modify their strategy to be ahead at the check points? I guess they must, but I don’t think it’s widespread.
At Daytona and Sebring some teams tinker with (or plan in advance) stint lengths and who's driving in order to get the most intermediate points, but not to the extent of compromising their chance to finish the full distance or sacrificing their final position.
Old 23 Jul 2022, 17:19 (Ref:4120255)   #460
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
It always amazes me how much lack of interest there is post LM; both Autosport & Pistonheads have pages and pages on LM; a month later a barely a dozen comments for Monza. How do we change that; it's not healthy for one event to overshadow the rest of the season.
My experience only goes back to the mid-80's, but I've always felt that Le Mans by it's very nature has overshadowed the rest of the season. As a Le Mans nut, I've never had a problem with that, IMO it deserves to. There simply isn't the interest in the other rounds of the WEC, particularly in the UK, having lost 'our' round of it.
Old 24 Jul 2022, 19:17 (Ref:4120392)   #461
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
Depends on what you believe the problem is. There are strong arguments that both the calendar and the cars aren't exactly incredible.

Track wise, Fuji isn't at a great time for the US and Europe. Bahrain isn't great. Car-wise, P1 isn't exactly amazing. P2 is awesome teams in a spec series. GTE-Pro is a dying husk. GTE-Am has an interesting team mix, but without much car variety.

This post isn't a complaining post. I'm sure it'll pick up soon (especially the P1/GT car situation). But it's kinda easy to see why it isn't incredibly popular at the moment - IMO of course.
Old 24 Jul 2022, 19:59 (Ref:4120399)   #462
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
WEC has basically been in a five-year holding pattern since Porsche departed. You could dip into any year or Super Season race in that time and it's essentially going to feel exactly the same. Even the new Hypercar regs haven't made things feel any different given the competition levels.

Still plenty to enjoy for dedicated fans like us. But the top class is important as it sets the tone for the series. Let's enjoy the crest of this new wave as it comes.
Old 26 Jul 2022, 13:24 (Ref:4120551)   #463
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
WEC has basically been in a five-year holding pattern since Porsche departed. You could dip into any year or Super Season race in that time and it's essentially going to feel exactly the same. Even the new Hypercar regs haven't made things feel any different given the competition levels.

Still plenty to enjoy for dedicated fans like us. But the top class is important as it sets the tone for the series. Let's enjoy the crest of this new wave as it comes.
Alpine has been the team to beat lately. Which is a lot different from last year. Fair bop or not, it's worked for the series in terms of teams other than Toyota on the top step.
Old 5 Sep 2022, 21:57 (Ref:4125047)   #464
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Time to wake up all WEC fans from that deep cryogenic sleep between rounds.

It's race week and so Alpine have been nailed with another BoP adjustment - https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...-hypercar-bop/
Old 6 Sep 2022, 06:09 (Ref:4125078)   #465
Lutzvic
Racer

Lutzvic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It's race week and so Alpine have been nailed with another BoP adjustment - https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...-hypercar-bop/
of course is Alpine nailed....it has to be certain, that the one and only team who kept P1 alive for years wins another title. but!!! cruising ends 2023 as some heavyweights are back in the ring. let's race! can't wait to see it next year
Old 6 Sep 2022, 06:51 (Ref:4125081)   #466
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Amazing to see this car with 535hp when not so long ago LMP2 had 600.

At least the bloated Hypercars have lost some weight.
Old 6 Sep 2022, 13:40 (Ref:4125121)   #467
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutzvic View Post
of course is Alpine nailed....it has to be certain, that the one and only team who kept P1 alive for years wins another title. but!!! cruising ends 2023 as some heavyweights are back in the ring. let's race! can't wait to see it next year
Just remember the very early days of the championship in 2012 and Toyota's role.
Old 6 Sep 2022, 18:16 (Ref:4125145)   #468
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
No Porsche debut in Bahrain - https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ut-in-bahrain/
Old 6 Sep 2022, 18:43 (Ref:4125149)   #469
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Makes sense. No point going if you’re not 100% prepared. Need to make sure they iron out as many problems possible, as they can’t afford to have any embarrassments in racing
Old 7 Sep 2022, 20:00 (Ref:4125252)   #470
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
interesting to see that michelin will be using last year’s spec tyre in gte am at fuji due to supply issues. first sign of knock on effect issues caused by the sanctions on russia.

not sure if there’s any significant difference between the two but it’s more about the fact they’ve had to do that isn’t it.
Old 8 Sep 2022, 09:04 (Ref:4125287)   #471
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This really should be called BOP + Success power cut (since they can't add more ballast for Alpine I assume)
Old 8 Sep 2022, 10:18 (Ref:4125291)   #472
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
interesting to see that michelin will be using last year’s spec tyre in gte am at fuji due to supply issues. first sign of knock on effect issues caused by the sanctions on russia.

not sure if there’s any significant difference between the two but it’s more about the fact they’ve had to do that isn’t it.
Pretty sure the supply chain issues have been brewing before that whole situation, specifically Michelin's race tire build pipeline.
Old 8 Sep 2022, 10:41 (Ref:4125295)   #473
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Not sure if it feels a bit too early for a WEC 2023 thread yet but this is good news about WRT - https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...t-next-season/

Feels like we're going through quite a period of change right now in WEC. Driver ratings shift is going to be big. GT Pro out. LMP2 Pro/Am out (insert Grandpa Simpson GIF). Sounds like LMP2 quite possibly out after next year.

I wonder if we'll just see LMP2 in ELMS/AsLMS and then marquee events like Le Mans, Daytona etc.
Old 8 Sep 2022, 13:01 (Ref:4125307)   #474
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Pretty sure the supply chain issues have been brewing before that whole situation, specifically Michelin's race tire build pipeline.
you’re right, everyone has had some supply chain disruption depending where the products used in the manufacturing process come from, and where the tyres are made.

certain elements in the process (iirc the petrochem stuff) for the entire market are majority supplied by russia, and in the grand scheme of production, low volume motorsport products are a fair way down the priority list behind consumer stuff. so the net result is where pre-ever given drama a decent stock would have been held for most motorsport tyres with the odd too tight for comfort moment, post-sanctions stocks are very limited, sometimes uncomfortably so. and with raw material costs going mental in the petrochem sector they’re not really going to want to spend more than a bare minimum and only on guaranteed sales eg event allocations. as demonstrated by the fact they can cover an event this year with last year’s spec and stock.

i know goodyear have air freighted their stock over for fuji which is obviously incredibly expensive as a low weight high volume product. that’s pretty rare, and a good indictator of what everyone in motorsport is working with in terms of availability of general stuff that includes petrochem elements in production. which is a *lot* because we use the huge majority if not all of the raw material that comes out of the ground.

hope that made sense. it’s not michelin’s fault or anything but it’s always going to be more difficult for them with multiple sizes and compounds to bring to an event versus say, goodyear with two sizes in wet and slick.
Old 8 Sep 2022, 16:38 (Ref:4125331)   #475
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Not sure if it feels a bit too early for a WEC 2023 thread yet but this is good news about WRT - https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...t-next-season/

I wonder if we'll just see LMP2 in ELMS/AsLMS and then marquee events like Le Mans, Daytona etc.
Mr Goodwin has mentioned this a couple of times which kind of makes me think it's going to happen. But it seems a weird idea to me. Extra cars in an existing class, sure. But a whole guest class, possibly running to a different spec from their usual series? Feels unnatural somehow.