Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Jul 2022, 13:38 (Ref:4119391)   #76
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
The Delta /Dr Bob race program is not finished yet John. There are lots of track I need to take him to. I had better take him to Croix.
Thanks, Iain. I have sent you an email on the subject.

Have a good weekend.
Old 13 Jul 2022, 17:16 (Ref:4119419)   #77
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or, maybe a drive in a Delta FF2000?
Old 14 Jul 2022, 07:24 (Ref:4119475)   #78
L-G Sjöberg
Racer

L-G Sjöberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Baltic tour in 2023 and then I am leaving the 22 with you lars. If thats OK.
Be my guest!
Old 14 Jul 2022, 09:04 (Ref:4119487)   #79
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Mrs Dr Bob will not let hem drive single seaters.
Old 14 Jul 2022, 13:06 (Ref:4119511)   #80
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Quote:
Mrs Dr Bob will not let hem drive single seaters.
Hehehehe I was going to say good luck with that one, dont hold your breath!
Old 15 Jul 2022, 17:36 (Ref:4119600)   #81
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
May be its better for people of an age to stick to the cars/technology they used in period, like carbs, simple ignition with trigger, mechanical injection like Lucas and or Bosch Kügelfisher. Well, we have to cope with drums too…

As to entry fees and race duration we do nothing here, many side expenses have been increasing a lot, FP's for instance.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 17:58 (Ref:4120777)   #82
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On a peripheral point....I see the MGCC/TSSC/TRR have had to cancel their upcoming big joint weekend.

It was an award winning event last year, but for 2022 ticket sales are so low they've pulled the event rather than make losses.

It appears it's not just drivers that are feeling the pinch, spectators and enthusiasts aren't taking part either.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 28 Jul 2022, 23:48 (Ref:4120807)   #83
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another Impoverished Self taught, Self Preparing 51 year old with one of those unobtainable 60's cars here
Firstly.. Not sure who is responsible but in my mind after having elevated myself to a lofty status and competed in my first Gold Cup in 2021.... They have ruined it ! The gold cup was always a great bank holiday weekend.. and as such Mr P i reckon will find out just how much he has shot himself in the foot! The cost of racing since I started has always seemed to be of the order of 1 Motorsport unit of Currency for each race.. As such for me that means seeing how we are doing within the household before spending some money on fun stuff. This year has been difficult for a lot of folks and as such it is looking like my 1 race of the season will be the Croft Nostalgia event where us Northern monkeys are generally welcomed to get the numbers up. I started racing properly in 2015 and I started building my own car out of pure love in 2003. I endured many reg changes during that time which scuppered the car ever being completed as an Fia Car and at that point I thought Bo@@@x.. I know my place and I will just race in club racing in a championship where my car will be appreciated for what it is in the spirit of the relevant championship! I have raced in the CSCC Swinging 60's and to be honest after a Donnington meeting where the race was curtailed I felt that I wasn't getting good value because in my opinion the race programme was so tight that any stopages resulted in race shortening.. I then happily found the HSCC and I find even in invitation class that the regs are stable and the cars are even and generally all in the spirit of the period.. In racing their are always people who can afford the better engines etc .. but similarly there is always someone at your level somewhere on the grid to race.. But its getting harder to afford it.. This year I have just bought a new extinguisher which is exactly the same as the old bottle but now it is on a list 16a and has to be serviced back at base rather than with my local fire extinguisher service agent.. Entry fees are rising .. At 51 i am often one of the younger ones at the meeting and the kids can no longer afford to even think about racing or they don't want to ?? Not sure what the answer is but I think the clubs and circuit owners need to try and stop competing with each other since the dilution in championships is getting worse and the drivers fewer. Lets see how croft goes.. I would dearly love to get a proffessional car engine set up and rolling road time ahead of the meeting but as things stand I am going to stick a couple of richer jets in the holley and see if the plugs are a little darker after qually !!!! This is the life of a club racer!! Somewhere a bit further back but always looking ahead with plenty to chase !! Neil.

Last edited by Heightswitch; 29 Jul 2022 at 00:04.
Old 29 Jul 2022, 08:35 (Ref:4120820)   #84
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said, Neil. I agree with all you said.
Not sure if I will make it to Croft this year but if I do I will come and say hello.
Old 29 Jul 2022, 14:16 (Ref:4120856)   #85
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Neil, who is the Mr P you refer to as shooting himself in the foot, and why do you think that he has?

Otherwise, I generally agree with you.
Old 29 Jul 2022, 14:53 (Ref:4120860)   #86
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's Dr. Jonathan Palmer.
Old 29 Jul 2022, 15:30 (Ref:4120867)   #87
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It's Dr. Jonathan Palmer.

I did assume that, but wanted to be sure who Neil meant. I wonder, though, about whether Palmer is actually responsible for any part of the organisation of the Gold Cup. Yes, MSV owns Oulton and hires it out to race promoters and in the case of The Cup meeting at least HSCC and Jaguar Drivers have races.

However, it must been borne in mind that the Gold Cup meeting was moved from it's traditional August Bank Holiday date because Silverstone decided to change it's usual date for the Classic to that weekend and it would have severely damaged grids for possibly both meetings if they were held simultaneously.
Old 29 Jul 2022, 16:13 (Ref:4120870)   #88
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
A month or so ago the members of the various MSUK committees met at Oulton Park at the BTCC meeting. I am on the HC&S committee. Dr JP came along and spend time with each table asking about their discipline and how they could use his venues. I think we were all impressed by him and his suggestions. I am sure he took our views away as well as he left to measure the height of his grass.

Circuits exist to make money and sadly the racing side is not the big earner, other than BTCC or BGT. Track days, drifting etc are more cost effective. OP seems to have three track days a week for most of the year plus exclusive testing.
Clubs have to use every minute of the time allocated and thus squeeze in as many races as possible with the inevitable change of the last race being curtailed if there is a hold up.
Old 29 Jul 2022, 17:51 (Ref:4120877)   #89
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
A month or so ago the members of the various MSUK committees met at Oulton Park at the BTCC meeting. I am on the HC&S committee. Dr JP came along and spend time with each table asking about their discipline and how they could use his venues. I think we were all impressed by him and his suggestions. I am sure he took our views away as well as he left to measure the height of his grass.

Circuits exist to make money and sadly the racing side is not the big earner, other than BTCC or BGT. Track days, drifting etc are more cost effective. OP seems to have three track days a week for most of the year plus exclusive testing.
Clubs have to use every minute of the time allocated and thus squeeze in as many races as possible with the inevitable change of the last race being curtailed if there is a hold up.
HC&S?
Old 29 Jul 2022, 23:14 (Ref:4120897)   #90
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
HC&S?

Hillclimb and Sprint Committee
Old 30 Jul 2022, 05:51 (Ref:4120916)   #91
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Hillclimb and Sprint Committee
Thanks
Old 13 Aug 2022, 09:12 (Ref:4122653)   #92
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After the Lord Mayor's Show of the Oulton Park Gold Cup meeting with mostly large grids, last week's lower key HSCC meeting at Oulton saw some distinctly below par grids. Just two Classic Formula Three cars were combined with ten Classic Clubmans, six Historic Modsports/Saloons joined in the first race of a five car Historic Saloon car grid and the four surviving Historic Saloons competed on their own later on. Only the two Roadsports series and the Historic Formula Fords reached double figures and none of them reached twenty entries.
Old 13 Aug 2022, 09:28 (Ref:4122655)   #93
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Too many events, too close together. I think Peter Baker.made the point that perhaps the top events such as the Gold Cup and Silverstone Classic should be left to the professional teams since the cars are mostly driven by professional or semi professional drivers. Then Club meets such as HSCC, MGCC should limit their entries to amateur drivers, i.e those who never made or don't meet Int A standards. Possibly complete ******** but a reasonable point?
Old 13 Aug 2022, 14:07 (Ref:4122672)   #94
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
After the Lord Mayor's Show of the Oulton Park Gold Cup meeting with mostly large grids, last week's lower key HSCC meeting at Oulton saw some distinctly below par grids. Just two Classic Formula Three cars were combined with ten Classic Clubmans, six Historic Modsports/Saloons joined in the first race of a five car Historic Saloon car grid and the four surviving Historic Saloons competed on their own later on. Only the two Roadsports series and the Historic Formula Fords reached double figures and none of them reached twenty entries.

Knowing that the Modsports/Saloons were only competing in the first combined race and that 4 or 5 touring cars was not mush of a spectacle the Historic Touring Car drivers approached the C of C to make race 2 a handicap affair in which thay agreed the handicap system amongst themselves. I wasn't there but am informed by someone who was that the crowd were pleased with the resulting race and at least had the spectacle of watching cars come through the (thin) field and supply some excitement. I think the drivers should be commended for this initiative to provide some excitement.
Old 13 Aug 2022, 14:51 (Ref:4122678)   #95
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Too many events, too close together. I think Peter Baker.made the point that perhaps the top events such as the Gold Cup and Silverstone Classic should be left to the professional teams since the cars are mostly driven by professional or semi professional drivers. Then Club meets such as HSCC, MGCC should limit their entries to amateur drivers, i.e those who never made or don't meet Int A standards. Possibly complete ******** but a reasonable point?
Point well made. Monster grids at CTCRC Brands today and I guess not a professional driver anywhere
Old 14 Aug 2022, 10:06 (Ref:4122742)   #96
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Point well made. Monster grids at CTCRC Brands today and I guess not a professional driver anywhere
Yep, given the economic climate the CTRC meeting was very well subscribed, it's a great shame that MSV didn't give them a fair crack of the whip after the various delays. In my view they should have shortened their own 2 x 45min races, at the end of the day MSVR get to race for free with the circuit cost being covered by the CTRC. Spent the whole day in the shade of the trees at Druids, some frenetic action from the big saloons but all good clean fun.
Old 14 Aug 2022, 12:45 (Ref:4122768)   #97
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Yep, given the economic climate the CTRC meeting was very well subscribed, it's a great shame that MSV didn't give them a fair crack of the whip after the various delays. In my view they should have shortened their own 2 x 45min races, at the end of the day MSVR get to race for free with the circuit cost being covered by the CTRC. Spent the whole day in the shade of the trees at Druids, some frenetic action from the big saloons but all good clean fun.
It’s not true that MSVR get to race for free - they are club that is owned by MSV as a separate business unit but they still have to pay for their track time the same as any other club.
Old 14 Aug 2022, 13:23 (Ref:4122775)   #98
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
It’s not true that MSVR get to race for free - they are club that is owned by MSV as a separate business unit but they still have to pay for their track time the same as any other club.
I stand corrected, what I do know is that the schedule appeared somewhat unbalanced particularly for some of the classic competitors. I know race stoppages are inevitable at times but if I had paid out a pretty hefty entry fee as a CTRC entrant I would be a little miffed with one race curtailed after 3 laps and a second shortened because of time constraints.
Old 14 Aug 2022, 14:03 (Ref:4122784)   #99
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
I stand corrected, what I do know is that the schedule appeared somewhat unbalanced particularly for some of the classic competitors. I know race stoppages are inevitable at times but if I had paid out a pretty hefty entry fee as a CTRC entrant I would be a little miffed with one race curtailed after 3 laps and a second shortened because of time constraints.
To be fair it was an MSVR meeting so you would expect them to favour their own series over “guests”.
I thought CTCRC normally raced with BARC?
Old 14 Aug 2022, 22:23 (Ref:4122812)   #100
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes it was a bit unfair, however I was in a 1hr race at Spa laying 6th overall in a 70 car grid when the safety car was bought out, unfortunately the safety car came out in front of the car in front of me that happened to be the slowest car in the race that I was just going to overtake and lap but he couldn't even keep up with the safety car that disappeared into the distance !
This went on for ages and as I couldn't overtake the "driver" in front (under the rules as well as yellow flags) I lost almost a complete lap to the 5th placed driver that I was never going to catch and have a good race. OK I did get the 6th place but I spent the whole time driving on my own for the remaining race. I know that they are supposed to let cars overtake to catch up with the pack but it rarely happens in reality at a lot of meetings because of time constraints.
The same thing happened on the race mentioned above with several cars miles behind as it was on the GP circuit.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !